The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Namm 2014: Akai Pro introduces EWI 5000, Wireless Electronic Wind Instrument
Old 22nd January 2014
News Desk Editor

Hardware Namm 2014: Akai Pro introduces EWI 5000, Wireless Electronic Wind Instrument

Akai Professional, creators of the original EWI, announce the EWI 5000, the most expressive and versatile wind instrument in the world. EWI 5000 includes an array of advanced features, including digital 2.4GHz ultra-low-latency wireless connectivity, a built-in rechargeable battery that lasts up to 12 hours, and more than 3GB of built-in traditional and progressive sounds from SONiVOX, a leading creator of premium virtual instruments and software synthesis technologies.

“We’ve created EWI 5000 to address the needs of today’s modern wind players, and we’re especially excited to see what modern musicians can do with it to push the boundaries of wind instrument performance,” said Dan Gill, Akai Professional Product Manager. “Calibration is automatic and setup is easy. EWI 5000 is a smart instrument. It automatically adjusts to your playing style and offers authentic sounds, wireless convenience, rechargeability, and the expressive freedom EWI is known for.”

EWI 5000 comes loaded with more than 3GB of top-quality sounds, including traditional horn, brass, woodwind, and string sounds, plus progressive synths, leads, and other non-traditional sounds. EWI 5000 includes 12 touch-sensitive metal keys on its top and an eight-wheel thumb- controlled octave roller on the bottom. An EVI (Electronic Valve Instrument) Mode is included for brass players, and EWI 5000 also includes eight control knobs for tweaking Filter, Reverb, Chorus, LFO, Breath Amount, Bite Amount, Semitone Tuning, and Fine Tuning. Both USB MIDI and 5-pin MIDI are onboard for controlling software synths or traditional MIDI modules. A 1/4- inch output to connect to an amplifier or PA and an 1/8-inch headphone output for silent practice are included. EWI 5000 charges via USB or wall power and also includes a USB cable, wall adapter, wireless receiver, and a neck strap.

Akai Professional will unveil EWI 5000 in Hall A, Booth 6700 at the 2014 NAMM Show, January 23-26 in Anaheim, California. For more information, visit akaipro.com/WNAMM2014.
Attached Thumbnails
Namm 2014: Akai Pro introduces EWI 5000, Wireless Electronic Wind Instrument-ewi5000_angle_1200x750.jpg  

Last edited by The Press Desk; 10th February 2014 at 07:30 PM..
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Looking forward to this, I have an EWI 4000S that I adore. I've been in touch with support and it looks like it might have wireless MIDI, too. The little receiver box has MIDI out and USB ports on it at least, but they can't confirm anything.
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

stereo audio on the wireless only, no midi.
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

It has a MIDI out and USB
Old 25th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Has anyone discovered any audio demos? Or has Akai not demoed this yet at NAMM and are waiting to post audio until then?

Blessings!
Old 25th January 2014
Here for the gear

Here's hoping that the onboard sounds are more this century. I adore my 4000s but never use the onboard synth.

I was really excited to see the wireless but disappointed to find it's only for audio. Would love to be able to move around a bit more on stage but doubt the onboard sounds will be as good as the Samplemodelling instruments or other virtual instruments I've programmed.

Still, I can't wait to get my hands on one.
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJandKT View Post
Has anyone discovered any audio demos? Or has Akai not demoed this yet at NAMM and are waiting to post audio until then?

Blessings!
Came across these on the Patchman forum:

Instagram

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zixs86-n8Pk
Old 31st January 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks...good to hear a little clip. Are there any good short demos of a bunch of instrument sounds from it (e.g. clarinet, violin, French horn, oboe, etc.)

Blessings all!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search