NAMM 2014: Focusrite unveils iTrack Dock studio-quality iPad recording interface - Page 2 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM 2014: Focusrite unveils iTrack Dock studio-quality iPad recording interface
Old 26th January 2014
  #31
bry
Gear Addict
 

Well if you don't measure the iPad sticking out of it then it's not any bigger than the Alesis, but that's kind of misleading, isn't it?
Old 26th January 2014
  #32
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Well if you don't measure the iPad sticking out of it then it's not any bigger than the Alesis, but that's kind of misleading, isn't it?
Your comment was in relation to the actual device, and it's capacity to host MIDI DIN ports, not the footprint if a full size iPad is docked.

It's only 40mm overhang right and top with a full size iPad docked anyway so very comparable with the other two in practice. (In fact it's ~10mm less deep, which just happens to be perfect for my setup)
Old 26th January 2014
  #33
bry
Gear Addict
 

Well there's many smaller usb/midi interfaces, or you could look at the griffin studio connect hd that is even smaller and also has midi, and has a form factor that works with all iPads and looks less prone to become obsolete when apple switches connectors again and makes the ipad 2mm smaller.
Old 26th January 2014
  #34
Lives for gear
No good if you own a non thunderbird or lightning port or whatever. I'm on a 3 so while I woulda for this in a heartbeat
Old 26th January 2014
  #35
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Well there's many smaller usb/midi interfaces, or you could look at the griffin studio connect hd that is even smaller and also has midi, and has a form factor that works with all iPads and looks less prone to become obsolete when apple switches connectors again and makes the ipad 2mm smaller.
It's the "slot in" dock element of these docks that I like. It makes the iPad feel more like a "proper" part of my studio rather than a mobile device in a simple dock.

The likes of the Griffin ones have the iPad at an angle that would be unsuitable for my workspace where all near by control surfaces are at around a 10 degree angle.

I wouldn't worry about Apple changing to a different connector anytime soon. They know fine well that the change from 30pin to lightning was a major issue for a lot of people, but it was totally justified as 30pin is just stupidly big and had to be made obsolete.

Lightning isn't as future proof as USB of course which has retained full backwards compatibility but it's not something I think will change in the next 5 years. By that time i'm have moved to an iPad 10 and some nth generation dock.
Old 26th January 2014
  #36
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
No good if you own a non thunderbird or lightning port or whatever. I'm on a 3 so while I woulda for this in a heartbeat
So am I at the moment, but only because there hasn't been a decent Lightning connector dock until very recently.

My iPad 3 is due an upgrade, as i'm starting to see performance issues with some apps and it's heavier than I would like (I use it when commuting every day). Selling it and buying an iPad Air is very affordable for me personally so i'm happy to do it once this dock drops. (Plus i'll of course sell my iO Dock, so total upgrade cost will only be around £150 which is perfectly acceptable)
Old 26th January 2014
  #37
Lives for gear
I dropped mine so I'm currently looking through a slightly cracked screen -- bummer. I just can't believe the lack of good ipad interfaces - there's plenty of them just nothing that suits me.
I don't want mic pres - I don't want monitor ins and outs.....
I see the ipad as sample fodder for my octatrack which it's brilliant at.
The search continues
Old 27th January 2014
  #38
Gear Maniac
 
heyokay's Avatar
Can anyone tell me if I can run the monitor outs of the iTrack into the inputs of my interface connected to my laptop? Will the quality be higher than using the iPad's headphone out?

I'm only interested in getting the sound from my iPad into my DAW at a higher quality than using the headphone out (whilst charging the iPad and using a midi keyboard at the same time), so this would be perfect if I'm able to do that!
Old 28th January 2014
  #39
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyokay View Post
Can anyone tell me if I can run the monitor outs of the iTrack into the inputs of my interface connected to my laptop? Will the quality be higher than using the iPad's headphone out?

I'm only interested in getting the sound from my iPad into my DAW at a higher quality than using the headphone out (whilst charging the iPad and using a midi keyboard at the same time), so this would be perfect if I'm able to do that!
Yes it will be as Focusrite will be using better D/A convertors than Apple's headphone output.
Old 28th January 2014
  #40
Gear Maniac
 
heyokay's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
Yes it will be as Focusrite will be using better D/A convertors than Apple's headphone output.
That's really good to know, thank you. The monitor outs are essentially just line outs correct? So I should be fine to run them into the in's on my Saffire interface?
Old 28th January 2014
  #41
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyokay View Post
That's really good to know, thank you. The monitor outs are essentially just line outs correct? So I should be fine to run them into the in's on my Saffire interface?
Yes that's correct.
Old 28th January 2014
  #42
bry
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyokay View Post
Can anyone tell me if I can run the monitor outs of the iTrack into the inputs of my interface connected to my laptop? Will the quality be higher than using the iPad's headphone out?

I'm only interested in getting the sound from my iPad into my DAW at a higher quality than using the headphone out (whilst charging the iPad and using a midi keyboard at the same time), so this would be perfect if I'm able to do that!
Honestly if that's all you need I'd look into the iConnect MIDI devices with audio pass thru, since that would give you a digital connection between your iPad and your laptop.

Interfaces like the Focusrite would be converting your iPad's sound to analog and then you'd be converting it back to digital in order to get it to your DAW.
Old 28th January 2014
  #43
Gear Maniac
 
heyokay's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Honestly if that's all you need I'd look into the iConnect MIDI devices with audio pass thru, since that would give you a digital connection between your iPad and your laptop.

Interfaces like the Focusrite would be converting your iPad's sound to analog and then you'd be converting it back to digital in order to get it to your DAW.
Yeah, I looked into getting that, but I've heard (and seen) the huge amount of latency (40ms) there is, and as I'm playing all the instruments live this would be really off putting.

Essentially this will turn my iPad into an external/hardware synth. Converting the digital to analog then back to digital again isn't perfect, but it's better than the 16bit headphone out at least.

I'm not really sure why you can't just plug the iPad into your computer via the lightning cable (or even via the CCK) and get the digital audio signal from that, but hey.
Old 29th January 2014
  #44
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyokay View Post
I'm not really sure why you can't just plug the iPad into your computer via the lightning cable (or even via the CCK) and get the digital audio signal from that, but hey.
That is the million dollar conundrum…..
Old 29th January 2014
  #45
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyokay View Post
Yeah, I looked into getting that, but I've heard (and seen) the huge amount of latency (40ms) there is, and as I'm playing all the instruments live this would be really off putting.

Essentially this will turn my iPad into an external/hardware synth. Converting the digital to analog then back to digital again isn't perfect, but it's better than the 16bit headphone out at least.
Likewise i'd like to be able to use direct audio rather than converting twice but latency is one important issue, plus I really want a dock rather than just having a loose iPad lying around with a cable coming out of it. A proper dock makes it feel far more like an integrated piece of studio equipment rather than a mobile device.
Old 30th January 2014
  #46
Gear Maniac
 
heyokay's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
Likewise i'd like to be able to use direct audio rather than converting twice but latency is one important issue, plus I really want a dock rather than just having a loose iPad lying around with a cable coming out of it. A proper dock makes it feel far more like an integrated piece of studio equipment rather than a mobile device.
Exactly what I'm thinking. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on this tonight, it seems like the perfect piece of gear to turn my iPad into something really useful in my chain.

It would have been absolutely perfect if they had added and spdif out though!
Old 31st January 2014
  #47
Focusrite
 

Hi guys,

Just to clarify the iTrack dock will power and communicate with all class compliant midi controllers. If you are using MIDI DIN ports the dock can communicate via a USB to MIDI cable.

Best regards,

Neil Marron
Focusrite Technical Support
Old 31st January 2014
  #48
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil (Focusrite) View Post
Hi guys,

Just to clarify the iTrack dock will power and communicate with all class compliant midi controllers. If you are using MIDI DIN ports the dock can communicate via a USB to MIDI cable.

Best regards,

Neil Marron
Focusrite Technical Support
Hi Neil,

Can you confirm this dock can send/receive USB MIDI to/from a DAW?
Old 31st January 2014
  #49
Gear Maniac
 
heyokay's Avatar
Hi Neil, could you also confirm that the monitor outs will be spitting out 24bit audio? It's probably a really stupid question, but I just wanted it clarified!

Thanks!
Old 16th March 2014
  #50
Gear Addict
This might be a dumb question but could one use this as the soundcard/audio interface for their PC laptop as well as their iPad?

I have a 2i2 at present - could this replace and serve dual purposes?

That would be very, very cool...
Old 19th August 2014
  #51
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManProducer View Post
This might be a dumb question but could one use this as the soundcard/audio interface for their PC laptop as well as their iPad?

I have a 2i2 at present - could this replace and serve dual purposes?

That would be very, very cool...
I would not think that you could connect it to your computer. The only connection that the sound goes through is the lightning connection and as a computer, as far as I know, computers does not have lightning connections, it can not be used with a computer. The USB connection does only send and recieve(recieve according to the focusrite guy?) MIDI.

I hope you have already gotten your answer by now, but atleast now it is answered in the thread as well.

OVER TO MY Q:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil (Focusrite) View Post
Hi guys,

Just to clarify the iTrack dock will power and communicate with all class compliant midi controllers. If you are using MIDI DIN ports the dock can communicate via a USB to MIDI cable.

Best regards,

Neil Marron
Focusrite Technical Support
Neil, you can confirm that a daw can send tempo to the ipad INTO the usb midi? From an Audio Interface that has a midi i/o and go through a midi to usb cable like the M-audio UNO? This is 100% sure?
Can it communicate from the MIDI side to the USB side?
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2118 views: 348567
Avatar for Dan O
Dan O 1 week ago
replies: 69 views: 15370
Avatar for subhertz
subhertz 9th August 2012
replies: 70 views: 98420
Avatar for MicheleS76
MicheleS76 30th August 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump