The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Warm Audio WA76 Limiting Amplifier!!
Old 3rd September 2015
Gear Addict
Yeah Brice did me a solid and sent me a NEW unit...He said I had an early unit with subpar caps...Cool Dude and I love the company!
Old 16th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I've had my WA76 for about a week now and i must say i'm impressed. It simply sounds/reacts the way I know a 1176 should. That's pretty incredible specially when taking into account the price of these units.

Great job Warm Audio!
Old 23rd September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcefor View Post
I have a WARM AUDIO WA76 and have had a problem..the meter stops working or does not meter correctly. Did anyone else have any problems with this unit? I do NOT want to slag warm audio because they take care of me everytime but just want to know about others history. ....Don't get me wrong, I think the 76 sounds great! Sad because I really liked idea of this company and the gear..great sounding gear no arm and leg prices! Thanks!
My understanding is just as with the UA and Urei 1176's they all require calibration at some point, lack of use and or pinning the meter or having certain high impedance gear into the units can effect their calibration, I'm sure it's a simple case of calibrating and if not a new meter might cost $30 bucks and a bit of solder, nothing more, it has to be a scenario like where the meter is unscrewed & the meter then pops out of the bezel? I have no idea on the WA's though on the 1176's of old they do.....open up, check it out as I'm certain there have to be trim pots inside to adjust, simple as usually leaving on for 8 hours, the calibrating with a 1kHz tone etc! I'm sure Bryce can help you out here!
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear
Quick question guys who own it. I have one coming ma way and i'm trilling holes into ma rack. Does it get hot? Then i know will it need some space above or can rack it normally. I noticed distress getting surprisingly hot- being without trannies or tubes.
Old 25th January 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahh View Post
Quick question guys who own it. I have one coming ma way and i'm trilling holes into ma rack. Does it get hot? Then i know will it need some space above or can rack it normally. I noticed distress getting surprisingly hot- being without trannies or tubes.
I've never noticed mine getting hot - not even close. I've had a WA76 sandwiched directly between two other rack units (one above; one below) for over a year and not had any issues.

Enjoy your new purchase. You made a great investment, dude.

I'm still deeply in love with this beautiful black box. Speaking of which, I've not had her plugged in for a while so I'm gonna have to go and rectify that.
Old 26th February 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Nobody has heard or compared the WA76 and 17XS at the time of this writing, and won't be able to for 3-4 months (ship date March 2014). On features you are right on the differences of transformers and the Lindell having the BLEND for parallel compression.

The 17XS has preset attack and release times whereas the WA76 has variable attack and release times. Also, the 17XS has filters on the high and low frequencies to tailor the sound of the actual audio signal, while separately offering the ability to EQ the sidechain to prevent pumping of audio from bass frequencies, etc.

The WA76 is going straight for an affordable Rev D 1176 with no extra features at a lower price point.

They both have their strengths, depends on what matters more.

War
I'm hoping people are still looking at this thread. I'm looking at both the WA76 and Lindell 17xs right now. The Lindell is used and the Warm is new so the price is similar enough that it's not a factor.

The extra features on the Lindell appeal to me, but the variable attack and release of the Warm seem to even that battle out too.

In the end, it comes down to tone. Has anyone tried both and can tell me how they differ? Is one bigger sounding? dirtier (in a good way)? dirtier (in a bad way)? smoother? grabbier? brighter? darker?

I've searched high and low and not seen one direct comparison of these 2 high value compressors that seem to make sense to compare.
Old 28th February 2016
MJB
Lives for gear

All I can say is a long time back, I heard a dozen perfectly produced tracks done with almost every 1176 iteration, and I felt the WA76 took the bronze. The Gold and silver went to the original Urei's, and I preferred the $600 WA76 to UAD's $2,000 1176..

I preferred the WA76 to all the other clones I heard. That's why I did a video about it, I only post something if I really like it and want to share that with other gearhead friends of mine.
Old 11th April 2016
Gear Nut

I'm aware that there are a couple vendors out there to get a stereo linked WA-76, but since I already own a couple and they don't accept mail in modifications, that doesn't really do me much good.

Does anybody know of a place where you could send them the units to get the stereo link mod done? I'm not very smart, so i'm not at all comfortable attempting to do this kind of work by my lonesome, and would require somebody who knows what they're doing to complete the task.

I haven't the slightest idea who or where I could get this done, and any insight that doesn't involve selling the ones I have and buying from one of the online vendors offering the mod on a newly bought pair would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11th April 2016
hey there @ raft erMan! I have a pair of these and although I have not completely researched this yet, here is a pre-built option and a kit I found when initially looking into the question. I'm not even entirely sure how to connect the pre-made option, but came across them both and thought they might be useful. Cheers!
Old 11th April 2016
Gear Nut

Thank you, but i'm specifically talking about any company that would accept doing the mod if I was to mail them the units since I already have them and would rather not have to sell them and buy the linked pair as new.

Maybe it's not even possible, I don't know. I searched the web pretty hard to find any information on that point, but much to my surprise, i've seen nothing turn up.
Old 13th April 2016
MJB
Lives for gear

Rafter man, call Zen Pro, see what they suggest. Good luck.
Old 13th April 2016
Gear Nut

It already explains on the site under the Q/A section that they only do new orders, no mail ins. I scoured the the depths of the web as far as I could go.

Thank you for the help though, it's much appreciated.
Old 13th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
It already explains on the site under the Q/A section that they only do new orders, no mail ins. I scoured the the depths of the web as far as I could go.

Thank you for the help though, it's much appreciated.
Why not contact Bryce himself. Maybe he will have some answers for ya
Old 17th April 2016
Gear Addict

I can't get my GR to zero ... didn't go far enough with the front panel calibration, so I opened it up, per the product tips on the warm audio site and it says there is a pot on the PCB labeled W5 which further calibrates the meter.

...only problem is, my unit doesn't have a W5 pot and comparing to the picture they have, it looks identical EXCEPT the W5 pot is missing. Ugh.
Old 17th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbross View Post
I can't get my GR to zero ... didn't go far enough with the front panel calibration, so I opened it up, per the product tips on the warm audio site and it says there is a pot on the PCB labeled W5 which further calibrates the meter.

...only problem is, my unit doesn't have a W5 pot and comparing to the picture they have, it looks identical EXCEPT the W5 pot is missing. Ugh.
Email Bryce. He usually responds quickly.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Email Bryce. He usually responds quickly.
I sent an email from the website... assuming that's the same thing as emailing Bryce(?)

It's Sunday so I certainly don't expect a response today
Lives for gear

Quote:
I sent an email from the website... assuming that's the same thing as emailing Bryce(?)

[email protected] is the email I've used to talk to him. I'm sure he'll get it straightened out.
Old 18th April 2016
Been a while since I chimed in here, but I just wanted to say, the best bass sound I ever recorded had the WA76 in the chain. I used a Japanese Mustang bass with flat wounds, into a Heritage 1073, into the WA76, into my Apollo. I barely touched it in mixing. Just a little LA2 plugin to set it in the track. I've also had amazing results on a rock vocal with an SM7 and that same chain.
Old 25th April 2016 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:

Hi there - the W5 meter calibration pot was moved to the back of the unit so you don't have to remove the lid any more, should say "meter" on the back of the unit. We're launching a new website very soon that will have this instruction updated.
Old 7th May 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

WA76

Hi Bryce, just got a WA76 in the door.

What a truly wonderful incarnation.

It actually sounds subtley better than my UREI 1176F which always sounds nice.

The 1176F has a Class A/B output stage and the Warm 76 is Class A.

It sounds better than an 1176LN I have been restoring for a client.

Now, some folks might like the extra distortion in the 1176LN but as an engineer/tech I think its a bit over the top. It has 10% tolerance resistors.

The components in the WA76 are all first class with expensive tantalum capacitors in the audio chain. The components are much better than similar parts that could be sourced in the late 60's and early 70's. I don't think I saw a 1% resistor in an audio circuits until phantom power became standard in the early 70's and they were horribly expensive back then. The stepped gain pots are also very classy.

I think the PAD circuit is also a great feature because I remember that the 1176D did not fair well when driven from the balanced or unbalanced IC insert points. With the Pad in I suspect it presents closer to a 10k input load. Very cool feature!!!

The 1176F with its higher balanced input impedance often sounded much better when driven from preamps or console insert points the were higher than 600 ohm.

I really think you improved the 1176F's circuitry and layout.

Having the power transformer outside the rack means that transformer's stray magnetic field (EMI) is further away from the electronics and the rack unit will produce less heat without the power transformer inside the case.

I played a vocal track through it that was recorded with our CM67se and it took less than one pass to get the compressor set and produce a World Class vocal.

I've seen, USED 1176D compressors sell on e-bay for upwards of $3K.

WOW!!! You could buy 4-WARM 76 compressors for that price and they will have brand new parts not 35-40 year old components found in an original 1176D.

You made my day when I looked inside at the quality build and put it up against my LA4's (highly modified), 3-LA610's and my 1176F.

THE WARM WA76 is an absolute no brainer in my humble opinion.

Are you going to be at NAMM in Nashville?

We are at Booth 325, hope to see you there.

Cheers, Dave Thomas
aamicrophones.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmAudio View Post
Hi there - the W5 meter calibration pot was moved to the back of the unit so you don't have to remove the lid any more, should say "meter" on the back of the unit. We're launching a new website very soon that will have this instruction updated.
Old 9th May 2016
@ WarmAudio I have been loving the wa76 as well and am looking forward to wa2a. Beside price, the quality is there in spades ( as Dave Thomas went into above ) and it helps add life and real was to tracks and samples instantly. Not to mention, using the unit for "color" utilizing the trafos without compression.

Using PT, the commit edit/ track makes using HW inserts a breeze freeing up the wa76 to be used even more now. The Knobs feel smooth and move fluidly as they should. Meter was off centered to the right of 0 resting at 2, having calibration available on the back was a great idea as well. Now I don't know if I want to get another wa76 first or the new wa2a
Old 10th May 2016 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by microphonefolk View Post
Hi Bryce, just got a WA76 in the door.

What a truly wonderful incarnation.

It actually sounds subtley better than my UREI 1176F which always sounds nice.

The 1176F has a Class A/B output stage and the Warm 76 is Class A.

It sounds better than an 1176LN I have been restoring for a client.

Now, some folks might like the extra distortion in the 1176LN but as an engineer/tech I think its a bit over the top. It has 10% tolerance resistors.

The components in the WA76 are all first class with expensive tantalum capacitors in the audio chain. The components are much better than similar parts that could be sourced in the late 60's and early 70's. I don't think I saw a 1% resistor in an audio circuits until phantom power became standard in the early 70's and they were horribly expensive back then. The stepped gain pots are also very classy.

I think the PAD circuit is also a great feature because I remember that the 1176D did not fair well when driven from the balanced or unbalanced IC insert points. With the Pad in I suspect it presents closer to a 10k input load. Very cool feature!!!

The 1176F with its higher balanced input impedance often sounded much better when driven from preamps or console insert points the were higher than 600 ohm.

I really think you improved the 1176F's circuitry and layout.

Having the power transformer outside the rack means that transformer's stray magnetic field (EMI) is further away from the electronics and the rack unit will produce less heat without the power transformer inside the case.

I played a vocal track through it that was recorded with our CM67se and it took less than one pass to get the compressor set and produce a World Class vocal.

I've seen, USED 1176D compressors sell on e-bay for upwards of $3K.

WOW!!! You could buy 4-WARM 76 compressors for that price and they will have brand new parts not 35-40 year old components found in an original 1176D.

You made my day when I looked inside at the quality build and put it up against my LA4's (highly modified), 3-LA610's and my 1176F.

THE WARM WA76 is an absolute no brainer in my humble opinion.

Are you going to be at NAMM in Nashville?

We are at Booth 325, hope to see you there.

Cheers, Dave Thomas
aamicrophones.com
Hi Dave,

I really appreciate the kind words and support. I don't believe we have met before but I do own one of your mics and like it a lot. We should meet at summer NAMM - our booth is not too far from you - booth 247.

All the best!
-Bryce
Old 10th May 2016 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
@ WarmAudio I have been loving the wa76 as well and am looking forward to wa2a. Beside price, the quality is there in spades ( as Dave Thomas went into above ) and it helps add life and real was to tracks and samples instantly. Not to mention, using the unit for "color" utilizing the trafos without compression.

Using PT, the commit edit/ track makes using HW inserts a breeze freeing up the wa76 to be used even more now. The Knobs feel smooth and move fluidly as they should. Meter was off centered to the right of 0 resting at 2, having calibration available on the back was a great idea as well. Now I don't know if I want to get another wa76 first or the new wa2a
Thank you!!
Old 10th May 2016
god i need one of these so bad....soon...
Old 11th May 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

WA76

Hi Bryce, I think you met Scotty and Mike in Frankfurt at the 2015 Musik Messe.

I think Mike helped you with some adapters or transformers for 220v operation?

I was back at our booth holding down the fort and everytime I went by your booth you were extremely busy.

We had 5-1176 compressors during my 20 year tenure at Ocean Sound.

We used them for live sound also during the late 60's and I remember getting the first pair of 1176LN's into the Sound Company circa 1968.

I think we used them for Led Zepplin in Vancouver as the PA they brought with them in 1969 would never fill a 5000 seat auditorium.

We took a line out from their WEM 12 channel mixer and fed the 1176 compressors as line amps to drive our JBL system and the Auditorium's Altec system.

I walked around the Auditorium after they started up and was very proud that you could hear Plant clearly everywhere in the auditorium.

I believe the 1176LN was around the $400 range in 68-69.

I have serviced and calibrated many more units over the years for folks.

Now, I have not tried the WA76 at +8dbm but that would never happen today.

As we now stream audio over the internet.

When I did live music broadcasts in the 70's we would drive dedicated 600 ohm telephone land lines from a pair of 1176 compressors set to +8db at the music venue, then tweak in the response after the audio reached the FM Radio Station.

We had a stereo 1/3 of an octave EQ before the compressor and we would send tones down to the radio station and flatten out the frequency response according to the vu readings from the Radio station's engineer. We could get a nearly flat response from 50hz to 15khz from an 1176 driving two miles of telephone wire.

Even, NOT considering the price difference, your build is better than a original working 1176. The WA76 has higher tolerence components and the one I just received sounds and measured the same if not better than an original unit.

We are in booth 325 which is only 7 booths as the crow flies away from yours.

I have just enough room left in my outboard rack for a pair of your Pultec like tube Equalizers. That was my vocal chain in the 80's....U47, 1073, 1176 direct to tape.

We would often add +3db up at 12khz from the Pultec to the U47 for pop vocals in a busy mix.

See you at Namm and I would love to meet up with you for a beer.

Cheers, Dave
aamicrophones.com

Quote:
Hi Dave,

I really appreciate the kind words and support. I don't believe we have met before but I do own one of your mics and like it a lot. We should meet at summer NAMM - our booth is not too far from you - booth 247.

All the best!
-Bryce
Old 11th May 2016
Nice to see you two getting along! I use my cm47ve into my warm gear all the time. Always sounds finished and professional!
Old 27th May 2016 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by microphonefolk View Post
Hi Bryce, I think you met Scotty and Mike in Frankfurt at the 2015 Musik Messe.

I think Mike helped you with some adapters or transformers for 220v operation?

I was back at our booth holding down the fort and everytime I went by your booth you were extremely busy.

We had 5-1176 compressors during my 20 year tenure at Ocean Sound.

We used them for live sound also during the late 60's and I remember getting the first pair of 1176LN's into the Sound Company circa 1968.

I think we used them for Led Zepplin in Vancouver as the PA they brought with them in 1969 would never fill a 5000 seat auditorium.

We took a line out from their WEM 12 channel mixer and fed the 1176 compressors as line amps to drive our JBL system and the Auditorium's Altec system.

I walked around the Auditorium after they started up and was very proud that you could hear Plant clearly everywhere in the auditorium.

I believe the 1176LN was around the $400 range in 68-69.

I have serviced and calibrated many more units over the years for folks.

Now, I have not tried the WA76 at +8dbm but that would never happen today.

As we now stream audio over the internet.

When I did live music broadcasts in the 70's we would drive dedicated 600 ohm telephone land lines from a pair of 1176 compressors set to +8db at the music venue, then tweak in the response after the audio reached the FM Radio Station.

We had a stereo 1/3 of an octave EQ before the compressor and we would send tones down to the radio station and flatten out the frequency response according to the vu readings from the Radio station's engineer. We could get a nearly flat response from 50hz to 15khz from an 1176 driving two miles of telephone wire.

Even, NOT considering the price difference, your build is better than a original working 1176. The WA76 has higher tolerence components and the one I just received sounds and measured the same if not better than an original unit.

We are in booth 325 which is only 7 booths as the crow flies away from yours.

I have just enough room left in my outboard rack for a pair of your Pultec like tube Equalizers. That was my vocal chain in the 80's....U47, 1073, 1176 direct to tape.

We would often add +3db up at 12khz from the Pultec to the U47 for pop vocals in a busy mix.

See you at Namm and I would love to meet up with you for a beer.

Cheers, Dave
aamicrophones.com
Wow, what a story Dave, I definitely need to meet you at the NAMM show! Led Zeppelin's one of my all time favorite bands. Thanks again for the kind words regarding the WA76, really glad to hear your thoughts!

See you soon!
Old 27th May 2016 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:

Thanks ChaseUTB! Glad you are liking the WA76, we really appreciate your support!

-Bryce
Old 28th May 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Thanks ChaseUTB! Glad you are liking the WA76, we really appreciate your support!

-Bryce
I really appreciate the quality at this price point and helping me achieve great vocal takes and truly making mixing more efficient. Not to mention the wa76 is so versatile and can be used on so many things. With PT new commit functions, this frees up my Wa76 and makes parallel compression on kick, snare, bass with the WA76 a breeze. My only regret was taking so long to purchase Thank you Warm Audio
Old 28th May 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really appreciate the quality at this price point and helping me achieve great vocal takes and truly making mixing more efficient. Not to mention the wa76 is so versatile and can be used on so many things. With PT new commit functions, this frees up my Wa76 and makes parallel compression on kick, snare, bass with the WA76 a breeze. My only regret was taking so long to purchase Thank you Warm Audio
How does the "commit" function work with hardware?
📝 Reply