The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Warm Audio WA76 Limiting Amplifier!!
Old 24th April 2015
MJB
Lives for gear

I think Warm Audio uses Cinemag transformers, so they're not shabby. I'm sure there's quite a lot that gave the original UREI something special. But then, the WA76 is a take on the Rev D. It did sound better than any of the reissues, which was a pleasant surprise, but not entirely unexpected.
Old 24th April 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I think Warm Audio uses Cinemag transformers, so they're not shabby. I'm sure there's quite a lot that gave the original UREI something special. But then, the WA76 is a take on the Rev D. It did sound better than any of the reissues, which was a pleasant surprise, but not entirely unexpected.
Nothing shabby about Cinemags whatsoever, but not the same as old UTC's. Apples/Oranges.
Old 7th May 2015 | Show parent
Finally got around to snatching one of these up. and now... MUST HAVE MORE!
Old 8th May 2015
Nothing new to add to this thread but I bought a WA76 last year and it was my first outboard compressor. I'm absolutely in love with it; I was exclusively ITB prior to buying this and I love the extra edge it has over the plugins - something which I find difficult to articulate, but it's definitely there. There isn't much in mono that doesn't get a dose of warmth at some point or another.

Bryce is absolutely terrific at assisting with any questions via e-mail too (being an outboard noob at the time, some of the questions were outrageously stupid). I'll certainly be adding to my outboard Warm Audio arsenal when the wallet next allows it.

Love it.
Old 11th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

how do you bypass the unit completely so you can check between compressed signal and uncompressed signal?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
how do you bypass the unit completely so you can check between compressed signal and uncompressed signal?
Lightly push 2 or more ratio buttons so they're all out.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Lightly push 2 or more ratio buttons so they're all out.
I did that but it still adds its mojo to the source..i want no compression or color..
Lives for gear

Quote:
i want no compression or color..
The 1176 may not be for you. It's an assertive box. A lot of people use it just for that transformer color, with no compression.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
The 1176 may not be for you. It's an assertive box. A lot of people use it just for that transformer color, with no compression.
I just want to compare the processed signal with the unprocessed signal...if It can't be done it can't ...it would of been nice though
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just want to compare the processed signal with the unprocessed signal...if It can't be done it can't ...it would of been nice though
Yeah no real bypass on an 1176.
Old 12th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
...That's what patchbays are for.
Quote:
don't you have more than one output? Mult the source to 2 outputs one with the WA76 one with out. Simple.
The dual-output is really useful: I can record the preamp>compressor output via the XLR and feed a separate FX channel with a compressed signal using the jack output...great for tracking guitar or adding monitoring reverb for vocals. Very happy with the WA76.
Old 15th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
No Way..........................!
+8
Hit 20:1
and turn the gain up Full
Attack Medium
Release Same
That's compression!
Old 20th July 2015
Lives for gear

Some tip :
Unpress all the RATIO buttons, push the INPUT all the way and you now have an overdrive / distortion unit ! and a pretty good one.
Old 21st July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidusername View Post
Some tip :
Unpress all the RATIO buttons, push the INPUT all the way and you now have an overdrive / distortion unit ! and a pretty good one.
Simple, but never thought of it!
Does anyone know if the unit can be damaged by this?
Old 21st July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheTop View Post
Simple, but never thought of it!
Does anyone know if the unit can be damaged by this?

No it can't be damaged by doing that. People having been using 1176's that way for years
Old 6th August 2015
Ufff....
42 pages I read,..without wasting..I'm the only 1176comp/type lover which haven't one WA76...only on vst :-(..
This unit be my Christmas gift.. I hope..
1+ Wa2A.....I thinks if they sell them at this price I going to piss on my self for happiness. Hahaha..

Last edited by PereGrinoz; 11th August 2015 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: ........
Old 7th August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PereGrinoz View Post
Ufff....
42 pages I read,..without wasting..I'm the only 1176comp/type lover witch haven't one WA76...only on vst :-(..
This unit be my Christmas gift.. I hope..
1+ Wa2A.....I thinks if they sell them at this price I going to piss on my selff for happiness. Hahaha..
Are they coming out with a wa2a?
Old 7th August 2015
MJB
Lives for gear

Now THAT would be nice!
Old 10th August 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Are they coming out with a wa2a?
Nop....
But I hope (we hope) that they are evaluating the possibility of doing.
1+WaChild
Old 13th August 2015
MJB
Lives for gear

I just put this WA76 demo video up on youtube:

Old 17th August 2015 | Show parent
Nice demo MJB - I can hear the detail/harmonics brought out by the WA76. Great vocal BTW.
Old 17th August 2015
MJB
Lives for gear

Thanks Arthur, much appreciated.
Old 24th August 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

I recently bought a WA76 and after tracking vocals for 1 day I must say its worth its weight in gold. Not transparent by any means but the subtle coloring it puts on the tracks is very pleasant.
I made my mind up to buy this after reading all the positive reviews about this and I am sure glad I did.
I now have a bit of an interest in the Tone Beast after this positive experience with a Warm Audio product. I only have 1 pre amp at the time being a Golden Age Project Pre73. I would like to add another pre to my shelf of toys and have read mostly positive things about the Tone Beast.

Kevin
Old 24th August 2015
MJB
Lives for gear

saltydog, congrats on getting the WA76!

All the tracks done on the video link I posted above were done with the Tone Beast, check it out, it might be helpful.
Old 2nd September 2015
Gear Addict
Warm Audio WA76

I have a WARM AUDIO WA76 and have had a problem..the meter stops working or does not meter correctly. Did anyone else have any problems with this unit? I do NOT want to slag warm audio because they take care of me everytime but just want to know about others history. ....Don't get me wrong, I think the 76 sounds great! Sad because I really liked idea of this company and the gear..great sounding gear no arm and leg prices! Thanks!

Last edited by sourcefor; 2nd September 2015 at 10:52 PM..
Old 2nd September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear
I have one. It gets used quite a bit. No meter (or other), issues with it at all. I would just contact Warm Audio. I am sure they will take care of the problem.
Old 3rd September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict
I've had no issues with mine other than the meter drifting a bit as the gear I have racked below it warms up. Great piece.
Old 3rd September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

No issues with my Wa76... Call Warm Audio and they should help you out.
📝 Reply