Old 12th November 2013
Gear Nut

Hardware Steinberg UR 44

Home
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Steinberg UR44 is out

Hello all,

I'm happy to announce that today we've released our newest member of the UR series of USB audio interfaces.
The UR44 is a 6 in and 4 out audio interface with MIDI I/O and latency-free monitoring with effects.

For more information please visit the UR44 product page

Best regards,
GN
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Addict

So is this the "this will change everything " announcment?
Old 12th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo22 View Post
If today is November 14, maybe...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

What about the converts. Does this one at least have the same converts as the mr816??

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
If today is November 14, maybe...
Just making sure we are on the same calenders
Quote:
Wut? I missed that one....
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Wut? I missed that one....
It's in the news slideshow on their website. And it is 99% sure an app for iPhone, because there is a part of an iPhone visible in the lower right corner.
So, Cubasis for iPhone. Changes nothing for me. Cubase without hardware USB licenser - that is the only change that interests me from Steinberg right now. If they don't, I'll switch to Studio One. Or Reaper. Tested Studio One and liked it, still have to check on Reaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parlopower View Post
It's in the news slideshow on their website. And it is 99% sure an app for iPhone, because there is a part of an iPhone visible in the lower right corner.
So, Cubasis for iPhone. Changes nothing for me. Cubase without hardware USB licenser - that is the only change that interests me from Steinberg right now. If they don't, I'll switch to Studio One. Or Reaper. Tested Studio One and liked it, still have to check on Reaper.
Thanks mate!
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Great news for me, this is just what I've been looking for! I've been looking at the Scarletts, but wishing there was a similar portable Steinberg UR unit. Instant buy for me
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by malekmusic View Post
What about the converts. Does this one at least have the same converts as the mr816??

It states on their website that it uses their top of the range converters, so I guess it must do.
Old 12th November 2013
I've used the MR and UR series (minus the UR22) a lot and they all sound pretty much the same i.e. they're all very good sounding interfaces.
Old 13th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by malekmusic View Post

They come with studio class converters from Yamaha, and the sound quality is great. You could not tell the difference between this an the MR816.

Best regards,
GN
Old 13th November 2013
I have a UR28M and before that, the UR824, which I got rid of because it was total feature overkill for me. The UR824 was excellent sounding, and if the MR series and the UR44 are the same they have awesome converters for that price segment, the press are the same in all those anyway and very very usable.
The UR28M was a slight step down from the UR824 in converter quality, easily audible, but it still sounds great. Just a little less awesome. If the UR44 has the same converters as that, it will still make you very very happy for a 4in-4out mobile interface.
No matter, if it had SPDIF, I would swap the UR28M immediately out against the UR44 for the mobility, but no SPDIF is a knock-out criteria for me. I use it a lot for reaping with the Axe Fx II. Who knows, maybe I try it out and see how reamping through the analog in/out loop works. Depends on the price point of the UR44.

I sincerely hoped I could provoke a word from Guillermo on the no-USB-Licenser issue, since he mentioned in another thread on gearslutz Steinberg is considering abandoning it. Guillermo.......???
Old 13th November 2013
Here for the gear

Hello Guillermo,

I can't find this info about the UR44 : can it be powered by USB only ? And can it be powered by an ipad ?

Thx
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Nut

I've been using a UR22 for almost a year now and it has been rock solid! I may upgrade to this....
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

My MR816X has been solid for 3 years.
I like this better for its size and USB for my needs.
Looks like a winner to me!
Old 14th November 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
Great news for me, this is just what I've been looking for! I've been looking at the Scarletts, but wishing there was a similar portable Steinberg UR unit. Instant buy for me
I've got both the Scarlett 2i2 and the Steinberg UR22. The UR22 tops the 2i2 in both features and performance. Here's hoping the new URs continue the trend.
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

Good Morning all,

Quote:
I sincerely hoped I could provoke a word from Guillermo on the no-USB-Licenser issue, since he mentioned in another thread on gearslutz Steinberg is considering abandoning it. Guillermo.......???
No, no, no we are not abandoning the USB-eLicenser, but an alternative or another anti-copy protection method is being discussed, but it will not replace the USB-eLicenser... unfortunately this will not appear any time soon. It will be more like having a choice between a USB-eLicenser and another system.

Regarding the price, the UR44 will have a recommended price of 349 Euros.

Quote:
I can't find this info about the UR44 : can it be powered by USB only ? And can it be powered by an ipad ?
No, you need to connect it to a power supply.
It has to be connected with its V12 mains transformer that is included on the package.

Best regards,
GN
Old 14th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillermo N View Post
No, no, no we are not abandoning the USB-eLicenser, but an alternative or another anti-copy protection method is being discussed, but it will not replace the USB-eLicenser... unfortunately this will not appear any time soon, sadly :( . It will be more like having a choice between a USB-eLicenser and another system.
I understand you cannot say more about it yet, especially since it is still far away. Pity - I carry my Laptop with Cubase around a LOT and would LOVE it without the need for a Hardware dongle. I looked already into Cubase AI which I got free with my UR28M and Cubase Elements, but they lack some features which I would not want to do without, mostly assignable key commands and batch export.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateOutsider View Post
I've got both the Scarlett 2i2 and the Steinberg UR22. The UR22 tops the 2i2 in both features and performance. Here's hoping the new URs continue the trend.
The UR824 has easily topped any audio interface I have tried so far in sound quality, and was pretty close in converter quality to a Mytek Stereo DAC which costs 150€ more and is only stereo DA. Although I never tried Apogee Symphony and Metric Halo interfaces so far, I assume that you need to get into that territory to find a better interface, but with a much higher price tag, too.

The UR28M comes close behind the UR824, and I remember when I compared it to other Interfaces (M-Audio, Presonus, Alesis, Apogee), that the others were no match at all, except that the Apogee Duet had better conversion, but at the same price with much less features (and the Duet's pres are not better than the D-Pres, too). But with the additional i/o, pres that are at least on par, the monitor section, the DSP etc. the UR28M is the way better value for money than the Duet, and even more so than all the others.
Old 14th November 2013
DSK
Lives for gear

I have a UR28m and love the monitor control it offers but need more ins.

Would have really liked if Steinberg thought of making them linkable.
Maybe a unified driver could easily provide this feature? Like Asio4all does.

Anyway looks like a great interface as all other Steinberg ones do.
Old 23rd November 2013
Here for the gear

I have been waiting for a 4 mic pre Steinberg interface!! In my dream world it would have had ADAT optical and clock I/O instead of Midi, but the line in channels are awesome for those of us who want to use other mic pres! Now I am just wondering if there is any more news on a U.S. release date and M.S.R.P. I need to know if I can tell some one that this should be my late Christmas gift!
Old 24th November 2013
Lives for gear

What is the pass through latency like on these units? I can get a comfortable 96 samples at 44.1 with my RME.. can this unit handle that?
Old 26th November 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by remo View Post
What is the pass through latency like on these units? I can get a comfortable 96 samples at 44.1 with my RME.. can this unit handle that?
On the 2-channel model (UR22) I can get stable performance at 64 samples/44.1kHz on both USB 2.0 and 3.0. That's the lowest selectable buffer size in the control panel. My RME UFX can perform reliably at 48 samples (also on USB 2 and 3, and that's also the RME's lowest selectable size).

Conversely, the Avid, Roland, and Focusrite interfaces I own need bigger buffers on USB 3.0 than on USB 2.0 to perform reliably.

(I use direct monitoring though, so I just always set my buffer size to 256 samples and forget about it.)
Old 9th December 2013
Here for the gear

Guillermo,

Do you have any more news about a U.S. release date and M.S.R.P.? Any thing you could provide would be greatly appreciated, even if it's not rock solid, just an idea would be a great help!
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayOnTarget View Post
Guillermo,

Do you have any more news about a U.S. release date and M.S.R.P.? Any thing you could provide would be greatly appreciated, even if it's not rock solid, just an idea would be a great help!
Unfortunately I do not have a release date that I can share with you, the recommended price is of 349.- Euros, so probably it will be 349.- USD, but I am just guessing.

Best regards,
GN
Old 12th December 2013
Here for the gear

Hey,

is it possible to route whatever combination of the outputs via the front panel volume knob, since I've got a 2.1 configuration and would like to have both the sub and the monitors directly to the unit?
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Still no Steinberg interface with more than 2 line inputs... shame for those who like the A/D but prefer to use other preamps.

A portable interface with 6 line in and 2 out, all on TRS or XLR would be a nice partner for a lunchbox. Especially if USB and class compliant with the 100% quiet iPad.
Old 13th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
Still no Steinberg interface with more than 2 line inputs... shame for those who like the A/D but prefer to use other preamps.

A portable interface with 6 line in and 2 out, all on TRS or XLR would be a nice partner for a lunchbox. Especially if USB and class compliant with the 100% quiet iPad.
You sure about that?

I know the UR22's line-in still goes through gain, but do we know for sure that the UR44's will?

And, even if they do, is it that big of a deal? I thought turning the gain down to 0 pretty much made the impact of the gain circuit on a line level signal negligible.
📝 Reply