The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steinberg UR44 is out
Old 7th April 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Is the sound quality similar as MR816 has?
Yes, I think it sounds just as good. I had a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 and didn't think it sounded as good as the MR816, but I find the UR44 to be every bit as good.
It has enough juice to drive an SM7b, but just barely enough. I think the reverb and channel strip with compressor sound pretty darn good as well and I seriously was integrated and up and running in two minutes on my Macbook Pro.
Having no digital inputs is a con in my view, but for what I'm doing I doubt I'll miss it. Pretty happy with it so far.
Old 7th April 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter2105 View Post
I tested it three days and the ur44 is a piece of crap, IT doesnt do what its supposed to do unless you buy a full legit version of cubase. Whith the cubase AI version which they send with steinberg it was not possible tosend an audio signal to line 3 and 4, new software is not running with my brand new win7 pc. And forget about steinberg tech support, they are never responding to mails. Ill never ever will buy anything from streinberg in my life again, if they treat customers like that. Support hotline 80 cents per minute, available only 10-13? i dont think so... good bye steinberg.
Wait, you're trashing the interface because the free version of their software doesn't provide the functionality you want?
So I guess buy the software that gives you what you need? That really doesn't change the quality of the audio interface.
Old 8th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hello peter,

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter2105 View Post
I tested it three days and the ur44 is a piece of crap, IT doesnt do what its supposed to do unless you buy a full legit version of cubase. Whith the cubase AI version which they send with steinberg it was not possible tosend an audio signal to line 3 and 4, new software is not running with my brand new win7 pc. And forget about steinberg tech support, they are never responding to mails. Ill never ever will buy anything from streinberg in my life again, if they treat customers like that. Support hotline 80 cents per minute, available only 10-13? i dont think so... good bye steinberg.
I am sorry to read that you are not having a good experience with our hardware.
Regarding the problems that you state:

Quote:
IT doesnt do what its supposed to do unless you buy a full legit version of cubase.
It seems that you are having difficulties configuring the software that comes bundle with the UR44, so it seems that the interface is working as it should.
Unfortunately you didn't specify exactly what it is that you are trying to achieve.
You can send an independent audio signal to the 3 and 4 outputs, you have to set it up on the DSP Mixer software. And in the Windows audio setup menu in case you want to reproduce music from Youtube or the Windows Media Player.

Also, please have in mind that our Technical support works only from Monday to Friday.
I have seen that you already posted on our official forums and received a reply from our Product Manager and the Technical Support, whom have found your emails and have already replied to them.

Best regards,
GN
Old 8th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Is the sound quality similar as MR816 has?
The D-PRE mic pre amps are the same and the convertors of the same high end quality, but you also have to considere that there are other components built in the interface that might influence the sound.

Obviously we always search the best components available to ensure the sound quality is great.

Best regards,
GN
Old 15th April 2014

I got my UR-44 last week and this is my first post on this forum.
I have tested the unit with Sonar X3, Studio One PRo 2.6, Cubasis on my iPad 2, and Cubase AI on my laptop. The inputs sound great and I get plenty of volume feeding into my powered monitors.
The DSP interface work OK but a little small on my monitor.
Besides the functionality with my PC and iPad, I also learned I can record into Camtasia while running my DAW. That will help me with tuturials.
All in all, I am very happy with this purchase and have not used all the features yet.
BTW, the Yamaha amp sims in the DSP are not bad!
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear
So can we confirm that the converters on the UR44 are every bit as good (or actually the same) as the MR816 and UR824? I'm thinking of getting one and use hardware processors, so I do not need built-in effects, but I am curious as to whether or not the bundled AI software allows for latency-corrected hardware send/return?

Overall, I think at this price point, this is the best in terms of converter quality and ins/outs, no?
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear
Also, is it possible to hook up two UR44s to a Macbook to run 8 outputs for OTB mixing, or will the timing be off?
Old 27th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleHold View Post
Also, is it possible to hook up two UR44s to a Macbook to run 8 outputs for OTB mixing, or will the timing be off?
hi I'm new here, but would like to know if anyone knows if the above is possible.

Want to be able to record my 3 piece band. Ideally one input for guitar, one for bass, and either 4 or 6 for drums. Just trying to figure out the best way to do this.

Hopefully a UR22(or ur44) and another UR44 into two separate USB ports on my macbook will work?
Old 28th April 2014

I received a replacement UR-44 and now hear a pop sound from my right powered speaker when I turn on the unit with all volume controls at zero.
I also hear a different pop out of both speakers when turning on the unit.
I have asked Steinberg if this is a problem.
Anyone else having these issues?
Thanks.
Old 30th April 2014 | Show parent
same here, I shut down my active speakers before power up/down the UR44...
had this before with the NI Komplete Audio 6 (also a very good unit, I think),
shut down the speakers seems to be the most practical way...
Old 18th May 2014
I am interested in the UR44, and have a few requirements.

1. Recording line in instruments such as keyboards, or the output of external microphone preamps through the line in, bypassing the UR44 pre-amps completely. I will need to record two channels - stereo line in, from the keyboards, with up to two other channels of line in to receive the output from a decent external preamp. i.e total of 4 clean line-in channels needed which bypass the in-built preamps.

2. Record via DI from a bass or electric guitar.

3. Low (or better still zero) latency monitoring.

4. Excellent Headphone Outputs, at least two of these so I can record a vocalist or any other microphone based source such as a miked guitar amp and monitor through headphones

5. I would like to have multi-client capable drivers, so that I can simultaneously play back audio from Youtube, Soundcloud and another audio applications, while my DAW uses the ASIO channels.

How well does the UR44 meet these requirements?

Thanks for helping out.
Old 3rd June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimshot51 View Post
I received a replacement UR-44 and now hear a pop sound from my right powered speaker when I turn on the unit with all volume controls at zero.
I also hear a different pop out of both speakers when turning on the unit.
I have asked Steinberg if this is a problem.
Anyone else having these issues?
Thanks.

You should never turn on your interface when your monitors are on its basic power staging. You monitor manual will tell you to always turn on the speakers last once the rest of the sound chain has been swithced on because of this exact potential problem.
Old 6th July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleHold View Post
So can we confirm that the converters on the UR44 are every bit as good (or actually the same) as the MR816 and UR824? I'm thinking of getting one and use hardware processors, so I do not need built-in effects, but I am curious as to whether or not the bundled AI software allows for latency-corrected hardware send/return?

Overall, I think at this price point, this is the best in terms of converter quality and ins/outs, no?
i am trying to decide between ur44 & ur824, opting for 44 since it less expensive with less inputs.
this is for live performance.

are the converters the same?
are the preamps the same?
simply is it ur44 the same as ur824 minus the inputs?

please let me know.
thanks
Old 11th July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillermo N View Post
Hello,

The D-PRE mic pre amps are the same and the convertors of the same high end quality, but you also have to considere that there are other components built in the interface that might influence the sound.

Obviously we always search the best components available to ensure the sound quality is great.

Best regards,
GN
Hi GN, I need a super clean line inputs, and was searching for UR44 line inputs (inputs 5 & 6) S/N ratio, but no luck so far.

May I know what is the S/N ratio of the UR44 line inputs?

Thanks!
Old 12th July 2014
Gear Head
Dsp monitoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Hi
Everyone talks about latency free headphone mixes.
does it apply to main outputs??! Can I hear efx from the
Speakers? No one has mentioned this. If not that would
Be major drawback since I want to use it live with real time
Dsp efx
Old 15th August 2014
Here for the gear

Is it buss powered?
Old 18th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hello,

Sorry for the late replies but for some strange reason I am just starting to receive notifications again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earfonia View Post
Hi GN, I need a super clean line inputs, and was searching for UR44 line inputs (inputs 5 & 6) S/N ratio, but no luck so far.

May I know what is the S/N ratio of the UR44 line inputs?

Thanks!
We do not have this measurement, this is all that I can tell you about the Line Input 5/6:

Frequency Response
+0.1/-0.1dB, 20Hz to 22kHz
Dynamic Range
102dB, A-Weighted
THD+N
0.001%, 1kHz, -1dBFS, 22Hz/22kHz BPF
Maximum Input Level
+22dBu
Input Impedance
30kOhm (+4dBu input), 20k Ohm (-10dBV input)
Gain Selection
-10dB(+4dBu input) or +7.8dB (-10dBV input) Switchable
Quote:
Originally Posted by baze sax View Post
Hi
Everyone talks about latency free headphone mixes.
does it apply to main outputs??! Can I hear efx from the
Speakers? No one has mentioned this. If not that would
Be major drawback since I want to use it live with real time
Dsp efx
Yes, you have to enable direct monitoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king43rd View Post
Is it buss powered?
No, Power Requirements are 8.4W it requires an AC power adapter (MU18 or equivalent)
It is included with the unit.

Best regards,
GN
Old 19th August 2014
Here for the gear

Hi Guillermo, I am about to buy either the ur824 or the 44. Can you please guide me through some critical specs?

1. How is the latency between these two?. They share the same driver, will they have the same rtl as well?. What can I expect in performance?. I need to play edrums flawlessly.

2. I am running Cubase 5. Will the interface merge properly?.

Thank you all for the info

Ignacio
Old 20th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iallende View Post
Hi Guillermo, I am about to buy either the ur824 or the 44. Can you please guide me through some critical specs?

1. How is the latency between these two?. They share the same driver, will they have the same rtl as well?. What can I expect in performance?. I need to play edrums flawlessly.

2. I am running Cubase 5. Will the interface merge properly?.

Thank you all for the info

Ignacio
1. The UR44 has a 3.515 ms Input latency at 64 samples, 44.1 Khz
The UR824 has a 3.561 ms Input latency at 64 Samples, 44.1 Khz

2. As long as your operating system covers the minimum requirements for the interface and its drivers.
Yes, it will work with Cubase 5, but have in mind that the latest firmware update and the latest drivers for the UR series do not support Windows XP and Vista.

Best regards,
GN

Last edited by Guillermo N; 21st August 2014 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: wrong information
Old 20th August 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks for the quick reply Guillermo, I am against the clock on this.

Do you have the output latency values as well? My primary need on latency is for VSi so I guess the output value is a clue one.

I have Windows 7 64 and an i7 4770 so I guess I'll have no problem with Cubase 5.
Old 21st August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iallende View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Guillermo, I am against the clock on this.

Do you have the output latency values as well? My primary need on latency is for VSi so I guess the output value is a clue one.

I have Windows 7 64 and an i7 4770 so I guess I'll have no problem with Cubase 5.
I just noticed I made a small mistake
I have corrected my other post, I gave you the output latency instead of the input.

1. The UR44 has a 4.240 ms Output latency at 64 samples, 44.1 Khz
The UR824 has a 4.286 ms Output latency at 64 Samples, 44.1 Khz

Best regards,
GN
Old 21st August 2014 | Show parent
DSK
Lives for gear

Hello Guillermo,

I would like to purchase a UR44 or UR824 to suplement my UR28m and Xone 4d with inputs but I have a problem with UR28m and ASIO4ALL which I detailed a month ago on your forum but sadly had received no answer. Here is the original post with the details:

"Is there any possibility to have the UR28m work with Asio4All with all inputs and outputs?

I just got a Xone4D mixer with a 10in/10out soundcard to complement the lack of inputs and outputs and I would really need those extra ones.

In Asio4All the Xone4D has all the in/out pairs available but the UR28M shows only 2
Currently as I've found the WDM driver for the UR series only allows for 2xInput and 2xOutput support which I find very odd considering the overall quality of this interface.

The soundcard works fine in Asio mode but I really wish I could fully use all the inputs and outputs this device has.

Please can you enable those in/out pairs in WDM mode? I am literally begging here. :(

I want to get another Steinberg like the UR824 and use all at the same time (UR28M+UR824+Xone4D), but this single breaking fact is preventing me to go ahead with the purchase.

Imagine getting a UR824 and having access to just 2in/outs instead of the correct numbers :(

Hopefully someone can give a glimpse of hope, otherwise I'll have to search for a different brand that supports all the ins/outs in WDM mode, even though I didn't found yet something as good sounding, flexible and easy to use and accesible like the UR series."
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Hello #82,

This is somewhat out off topic, perhaps you should start a new thread about it.
The thing is that you cannot supplement the UR28M as it does not have ADAT, it has S/PDIF and that is only Stereo.
Our interface has its own dedicated drivers therefore I cannot recommend the use of ASIO4ALL with them.

Quote:
In Asio4All the Xone4D has all the in/out pairs available but the UR28m shows only 2
That is a limitation of the S/PDIF connection in case you are connecting it with the S/PDIF
If you need more inputs and outputs actually then you should sell the UR28M and then purchase 2 UR824 and connect them through ADAT.

Best regards,
GN
Old 3rd September 2014
Gear Maniac
Hi there, just to make sure...The ASIO driver with the UR44 allows to listen to the sound of several audio applications simultaneously, right?
Old 4th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa Travellers View Post
Hi there, just to make sure...The ASIO driver with the UR44 allows to listen to the sound of several audio applications simultaneously, right?
Do you mean like: E.g. Playing back a video from youtube, a song from iTunes and a Cubase project?
In that case, yes, you can do that.
It also has loopback.

Best regards,
GN
Old 4th September 2014
Gear Maniac
Thanks for that, Guillermo. Lots of great comments from the community on the UR44
Old 17th September 2014
Gear Maniac

just wanted to say, i use it for about 3 weeks now (with ableton live) and i like it so far thanks for this unit!
Old 1st May 2015
Here for the gear

I have seen the question asked, but no response. Is the UR44 supported by windows XP? If so, does anyone have a link to a good working driver?
📝 Reply