The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RØDE Microphones announces the new NT1 microphone
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hardware The new rode nt1

The CapsuleThe HF6 is the perfect example of RØDE’s state-of-the-art fusion of artistic design approaches and cutting-edge manufacturing techniques, with a sound signature reminiscent of the famous microphones of old, while at the same time exhibiting extremely low noise.

Internal shockmount Beneath the body of the NT1 you will find the internal capsule suspension, which employs patented Lyre technology from Rycote®. This internal shock mount isolates the HF6 capsule on the X, Y and Z axes, providing protection against vibration that is superior to conventional capsule suspension techniques.

The Electronics Featuring high-grade components, the circuitry of the NT1 is assembled and tested using exceptionally high-precision machinery operated by the experienced engineers in RØDE’s Australian factory. This meticulous manufacturing process has resulted in our quietest microphone ever - With only 4.5dBA of self-noise.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

40 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What is the sound difference between this and the Rode NT1-A? NT1-A is a bright mic, I am assuming this is not a bright?
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Correct, the Rode rep who visited my work advised that the mic is not bright. It has a flatter freq responses than the NT1A
Old 31st October 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvc1977 View Post
Correct, the Rode rep who visited my work advised that the mic is not bright. It has a flatter freq responses than the NT1A
I listened to some samples and it indeed seems to be really tame on top. I think this is going to be a BIG hit for them.
Old 31st October 2013
News Desk Editor

🎧 15 years
Hardware RØDE Microphones announces the new NT1 microphone

RØDE Microphones has announced the release of its new NT1 microphone, the first update to the company’s flagship studio microphone since the NT1-A was introduced almost fourteen years ago.

Although the body of the new NT1 closely resembles the NT1-A, the microphone has been completely redesigned from the ground up, with the only shared component being the mesh grille.

RØDE’s design engineers approached the NT1 as a marriage of innovation and tradition, starting with the capsule which is a completely new design. Codenamed the HF6, it is the perfect example of RØDE’s fusion of artistic design approaches and cutting-edge manufacturing techniques, and features a sound signature reminiscent of the famous microphones of old while at the same time exhibiting extremely low noise. It has been developed with a focus on detailed midrange response, coupled with silky smooth high frequencies, and warm, round, bass reproduction to make the NT1 an absolute standout in its class.

In another world-first for RØDE, the transducer itself is suspended inside the microphone using Rycote’s industry-leading Lyre system, minimizing external vibrations at the capsule level. The capsule is then married to high-grade electronics that have been designed to provide the lowest noise level of any studio microphone available. The NT1 is an incredibly quiet microphone, measuring only 4.5dBA of self-noise.

Its body is machined from 6061 aluminium and then nickel plated for resistance against corrosion. Finally it is coated in a durable, military-grade ceramic layer, using advanced electrostatic application techniques developed by RØDE to ensure an extremely hard wearing finish that is resistant to scratches or marks.

At the launch of the NT1 at RØDE’s headquarters in Sydney, Australia, RØDE’s founder and president Peter Freedman commented: “This new NT1 really represents the essence of RØDE – innovation and tradition coexisting in complete harmony. In the twenty years plus that we’ve been making microphones here in Australia we’ve come a long way, and the NT1 is on the cutting edge of technology and manufacturing processes, allowing us to offer an amazing instrument at incredible value to our customers. At the same time we haven’t lost sight of our roots and the core values that got us where we are today, and the NT1 moniker is a tribute to both our heritage and our family of artists around the world using a RØDE NT1 in their daily recordings.”

The NT1 is sold as a kit along with the revolutionary new RØDE SMR shock mount. Featuring a unique double-Lyre suspension system, the SMR enhances the existing superior vibration cancellation of Rycote’s Lyre system by using a smaller inner Lyre to act as a tensioning element. This maintains each Lyre in the neutral position where it is most efficient at cancelling vibration. The SMR’s removable all-metal pop filter is as effective as it is visually striking, providing an integrated solution for plosive protection that is easily washable and designed to last as long as the shock mount and microphone.

The SMR is also compatible with a range of large diaphragm microphones from RØDE, and will be made available separately.

For more information please visit NT1 microphone from R.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Looks very promising.
Any pricing info available?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
What is the sound difference between this and the Rode NT1-A? NT1-A is a bright mic, I am assuming this is not a bright?
still have a pair of original NT1s and also had an NT-1a for a while..... the NT-1a was a lot brighter to the point of hissy to my ears - didn't like it so it left the building... but I kept the NT1s.

The circuit board on the new NT1 is quite different to my old ones so I guess it will sound different - noise was never a problem however. Running the old NT1s through a valve or germanium pre does a lot to improve their sound.
Old 1st November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting.

I use a pair of NT1-A a lot. It was the quietest mic I could find for ambient micing of quiet sources. I'd be interested to compare these.

I hope they get round to making a super quiet omni soon too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I also would like to know the price and the availability of this mic.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
I also would like to know the price and the availability of this mic.
...I believe I saw B&H listing the complete kit (with shockmount and pop filter) for $269 as a pre-order...

Sent from my SPH-M820
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...I believe I saw B&H listing the complete kit (with shockmount and pop filter) for $269 as a pre-order...

Sent from my SPH-M820
Wow that's a really good price! Would love to hear how it compares to my Neumann TLM102 and modded Oktava MK-319!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Pity they changed everything but the grille which is a weak point of the mic IMO

Matti
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...here's the listing:
Rode NT1 Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone Kit NT-1 KIT B&H
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
when will it ship?
Old 2nd November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
It looks like an INCREDIBLE PACKAGE for the price!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The NT1-A was a rather decent beginner microphone. But it was rather shrill. The examples on the rode site of the NT1 seem anything but. Almost too mellow, but it would be interesting to see how it fares in the hands of some other users
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
seems like a cool room mic!
Old 3rd November 2013
Hi guys, thanks for your comments on the new NT1 as I was interested in RODE's decision to retain the original name and wondered what this meant with regard to the mic's new position in their line up (as you would have thought it would have been called the NT1-B)?

However it sounds from your discussion that it might be intended as an update to the original with regard to the mellower/flatter sound over the brighter NT1-A?

I checked the frequency response between them and you can clearly see that the NT1 is relatively flat in comparison with a smooth (wide Q) 2 db presence bump in the mid region (whereas the NT1-A has various 1/2/3 db bumps and a 5 db mid/HF peak) which explains its presence/brightness (a rather erratic frequency response in comparison)!

NT1-A:
http://wpc.660d.edgecastcdn.net/8066..._datasheet.pdf

NT1:

U 87 Ai:
http://www.neumann.com/zoom.php?zoom...am&w=878&h=295

It will be interesting to hear what it sounds like anyway and what the community thinks of it when it finally filters through to the shops in coming weeks! This move made me wonder whether they intend to release an updated NT2/NT2-A also?

Regards,

Kat
Old 3rd November 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Ok that is interesting that they are re-establishing the NT1 name. I still have one of the original NT1 mics. Hardly ever use it, but it it is still handy on the occasions when I run out of other mics. I wonder how the new one will compare to it?
Old 3rd November 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by trax4katz View Post
Hi guys, thanks for you comment on the new NT1 as I was interested in RODE's decision to retain the original name and wondered what this meant with regard to the mic's new position in their line up (as you would have though it would have been called the NT1-B)?

However it sounds from your discussion that it might be intended as an update to the original with regard to the mellower/flatter sound over the brighter NT1-A?

I checked the frequency response between them and you can clearly see that the NT1 is relatively flat in comparison with a smooth (wide Q) 2 db presence bump in the mid region (whereas the NT1-A has various 1/2/3 db bumps and a 5 db mid/HF peak) which explains its presence/brightness (a rather erratic frequency response in comparison)!

NT1-A:

NT1:

U 87 Ai:
Georg Neumann GmbH - Diagram

It will be interesting to hear what it sounds like anyway and what the community thinks of it when it finally filters through to the shops in coming weeks! This move made me wonder whether they intend to release an updated NT2/NT2-A also?

Regards,

Kat
I am curious to see what they do with the tube mics.
Old 3rd November 2013
I had a look through the frequency responses for every large diaphragm condenser/valve mic they currently offer and the new NT1 is the only mic that offers a comparatively flat response (as opposed to the erratic nature of the curve on the NT1-A mentioned above); so the NT1 appears to have a somewhat unique position in their large diaphragm line up which is interesting!

www.rodemic.com/mics
Old 3rd November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The Rode rep advised that the NT1 is part of a new line of mics to be released including a tube mic. Some of the existing mic's will be discontinued.
Old 3rd November 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
The Rode rep advised that the NT1 is part of a new line of mics to be released including a tube mic. Some of the existing mic's will be discontinued.
Thank you for that information, that's exciting news and I can't wait to see the new line up unfold!

Kind regards,

Kat
Old 4th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
RØDE isn't the first company to sell its microphones with Rycote shockmounts, but they're the first, as far as I know, to have licensed Rycote's Lyre technology and used it, not just for the external shockmount (with modifications of their own), but also for the internal one. The NT1 is also one of the quietest mic on the planet (only beaten by CAD's E100S and Nevaton's MC50-Quad, as far as I know). Technically, and for the price, this package looks like an absolute killer.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

I'm a big fan of the Rode tube mics (NTK and K2). I haven't tried the Classic II. If they were to discontinue some of their models.......the first one I would ditch is the NT1000. You need sunglasses on your ears with that one.
Old 4th November 2013
I certainly has one seriously flat response!
Attached Thumbnails
RØDE Microphones announces the new NT1 microphone-nt1_freq.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

wow that is amazing how flat it is! I definitely need to pick one of these up
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, could be useful for fq-measurement I guess.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
It's a smoothed plot, though. How much smoothed? We don't know.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
The NT1 is also one of the quietest mic on the planet (only beaten by CAD's E100S and Nevaton's MC50-Quad, as far as I know). Technically, and for the price, this package looks like an absolute killer.
Thank you for that valuable information!

I was on a quest for extremely quiet LDCs for ambient recording a few years ago and after looking at DPA and Brauner I ended up with a pair of NT1-A which have served me well.
I hope they can offer the same treatment to a mic that does at least omni and cardioid. If the new NT1 had an omni/cardiod switch I'd order a pair today.

Let us wait
📝 Reply