Sunset Sound S1P Tutti, 500 series pre

No one said much about this... nice color.. un-cheap though
Attached Thumbnails
Sunset Sound S1P Tutti, 500 series pre-screen-shot-2013-10-22-9.18.18-pm.png  
Old 28th October 2013
These look really amazing.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Nut

Yes, and the price is also really amazing for a 500 Format ;-)...Insane ...
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Why does the format matter? Has anyone ever said "that price is high for a rackmount pre"?
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

yeah - isnt about $1500. For a new, cloned off an old sunset console. Yawn...... And there is for sure some relevancy in comparing the price of a 500 pre to its 19" bretheren. Very limited metal work, no psu. Two of the most expensive items (apart from transformers and then its only if you go jenden in/out will cost you $200 no matter what). I hope this pre sounds like god
Old 29th October 2013
Noa
Gear Addict

For this kind of money, the faceplate and the knobs should at least look cool. Design is subpar...

Yeah, better sound like Geezus.

Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

heres the gutz
John Hardy op amps

Based on Hollywood's famous Sunset Sound Studios, the Sunset Sound S1P "Tutti" 500 Series mic/instrument preamp is a testament to Tutti Camarata, the man who started Sunset Sound.

Celebrating Sunset Sound's 50 years of recordings from Mary Poppins to Van Halen, The Doors to Sheryl Crow, Led Zeppelin to the Wallflowers, the studio had to deliver a level of quality to its vocals, and it has replicated the same quality on the S1P.

The S1P is based on the design used in the massive API console in Studio A where so many famous vocalists have recorded.

The S1P harnesses Dual Hardy 990 op amps, two custom made Cinemag nickel transformers (in-out) and is the original design keeping it true to history.

Features:

Same Design used in the Sunset Consoles
Dual 990 op-amps
Nickel Transformers, Input and Output
Greater than 60dB of Gain
10Hz to 60KHz FLAT
Distortion less than .02%
Clips at +28 dBu
Signal/overload Indicator
Selectable Input Gain, 10dB steps
Adjustable Gain Trim, +/- 6dB
Output Fader Control
Front and Rear XLR MIC Input
Hi-Z / INST Front Panel Input
Made in the USA
Attached Thumbnails
Sunset Sound S1P Tutti, 500 series pre-screen-shot-2013-10-28-8.37.20-pm.png  
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
And there is for sure some relevancy in comparing the price of a 500 pre to its 19" bretheren.
I wasn't talking about comparing the price to a rackmount equivalent (I don't believe that there is one for this piece, at least not yet)…I was talking about comparing it to other 500-format pieces. I don't disagree that it's expensive…it is. $1500 for a single-channel preamp is expensive, regardless of the format.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

I bet that the unit sounds good. Build quality is some what home made it seems.

Price has been set to garner approx. 70% profit to PMI and the designer.

It comes from Hollywood.
Old 29th October 2013
twin cinemags and twin hardy 990cs do cost $$$... I'm surprised to see a pair of the 990s in a single-wide 500-series, though, I thought they were happier at 24v? Wonder how much current this unit draws.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

2 x 990 about $130 (being cautious. Probably a lot cheaper in bulk - if hey did their own 990 - $50) . 2 x cinemag $120 for both
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

They are only making 50 of these... "limited editions" almost always cost more.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Looks really cool - I'm going to place an order. Looks very well designed.

People lately don't seem to understand anything about retail,
distributers, business costs, employees, taxes etc to bring a
product to the market.

Since they are only making 50 units, I wouldn't
think they would really be making anything at all.

It's a celebration of 50 years - some achievement in the studio industry.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

It's the same with Porsche AG as at PMI. They are the world's most profitable automobile company because they simply add on their desired profit margin percentage to the car.

The selling price has little to do with costs.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Saw one for $1300.00

Would be no big deal to copy it...
Old 10th January 2014
Since I did the design of this 500 module, based on the Studio One console and the Floater Mic Pres that were around before that console (which is a custom Sunset console with API eqs, the rest of the console electronics is their own design using 990s), The transformers are made from the the original design specifications from Cinemag, who as Richenbach Transformers, used to make the transformers that Jensen sold before they started making them on their own. We had many versions made for testing, and with the final versions, letting the engineers at Sunset make the choice, we nailed it dead on, to the point that an old one and a new one could be used for overheads... The response is razor flat, the distortion is razor flat, the phase shift is less than 10 degrees at 20K, clips at +28 and is the most historic mic pre on the planet, right along with the APIs and the original Neves. And for all you manufacturing experts, it is VERY expensive to make. But a new price will be announced soon. Check out this link for the list of clients...

http://www.sunsetsound.com/wp-conten...ochure-PG2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifried View Post
heres the gutz
John Hardy op amps

Based on Hollywood's famous Sunset Sound Studios, the Sunset Sound S1P "Tutti" 500 Series mic/instrument preamp is a testament to Tutti Camarata, the man who started Sunset Sound.

Celebrating Sunset Sound's 50 years of recordings from Mary Poppins to Van Halen, The Doors to Sheryl Crow, Led Zeppelin to the Wallflowers, the studio had to deliver a level of quality to its vocals, and it has replicated the same quality on the S1P.

The S1P is based on the design used in the massive API console in Studio A where so many famous vocalists have recorded.

The S1P harnesses Dual Hardy 990 op amps, two custom made Cinemag nickel transformers (in-out) and is the original design keeping it true to history.

Features:

Same Design used in the Sunset Consoles
Dual 990 op-amps
Nickel Transformers, Input and Output
Greater than 60dB of Gain
10Hz to 60KHz FLAT
Distortion less than .02%
Clips at +28 dBu
Signal/overload Indicator
Selectable Input Gain, 10dB steps
Adjustable Gain Trim, +/- 6dB
Output Fader Control
Front and Rear XLR MIC Input
Hi-Z / INST Front Panel Input
Made in the USA
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wolff Designs View Post
Since I did the design of this 500 module, based on the Studio One console and the Floater Mic Pres that were around before that console (which is a custom Sunset console with API eqs, the rest of the console electronics is their own design using 990s), The transformers are made from the the original design specifications from Cinemag, who as Richenbach Transformers, used to make the transformers that Jensen sold before they started making them on their own. We had many versions made for testing, and with the final versions, letting the engineers at Sunset make the choice, we nailed it dead on, to the point that an old one and a new one could be used for overheads... The response is razor flat, the distortion is razor flat, the phase shift is less than 10 degrees at 20K, clips at +28 and is the most historic mic pre on the planet, right along with the APIs and the original Neves. And for all you manufacturing experts, it is VERY expensive to make. But a new price will be announced soon. Check out this link for the list of clients...

http://www.sunsetsound.com/wp-conten...ochure-PG2.jpg
Good to hear Paul Thx
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
It's the same with Porsche AG as at PMI. They are the world's most profitable automobile company because they simply add on their desired profit margin percentage to the car.

The selling price has little to do with costs.
Look, PMI did not set the price for the S1. We met and suggested it be sold at $999.00. They refused and said it has to be sold for $1,299.00. PMI was just terminated or as they call it not renewing our distribution agreement after finally getting the product in September…

So we have units left and will sell them off for $949.00...
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhyatt View Post
Look, PMI did not set the price for the S1. We met and suggested it be sold at $999.00. They refused and said it has to be sold for $1,299.00. PMI was just terminated or as they call it not renewing our distribution agreement after finally getting the product in September…

Can these be bought direct ?
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Considering you have quite a bit of money in those 990s and transformers that seems very reasonable.
Old 21st May 2014
Lives for gear

Has anybody had a chance to run these through their paces? Looks like a great design, obviously time tested!
Old 21st May 2014
Lives for gear

PMI still has a lot of these in stock, and will sell them for a very good price...
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
PMI still has a lot of these in stock, and will sell them for a very good price...
I just bought one. It's in the mail and should arrive before next week.
Old 25th August 2014
Gear Nut

It is $995 Now.
Old 25th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy6587 View Post
It is $995 Now.
We have a bunch and will sell them off for a lot less than $995.00!!!! Just call our office and ask for Justin.
Old 24th October 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succulence View Post
I just bought one. It's in the mail and should arrive before next week.
Any comments on your experience with it?

thanks.
Old 24th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Warren View Post

thanks.
Still have a few of these...Offers accepted....Reasonable ones that is!
Old 2nd November 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Warren View Post

thanks.
Just moved and I'm now in the process of setting up my studio again. I just ordered a Radial JS3 to do a more accurate comparison (I'm not too worried about whatever coloration the JS3 will add, but will do some other comparisons to see if it's noticeable). I'll post the results when I'm done. The plan is to compare the S1P to the Five Fish MX500 mk500, the UAD Unison 1073, and the AEA TRP to give some interesting comparison points and provide insight into the particular coloration each offers.
Old 22nd November 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succulence View Post
Just moved and I'm now in the process of setting up my studio again. I just ordered a Radial JS3 to do a more accurate comparison (I'm not too worried about whatever coloration the JS3 will add, but will do some other comparisons to see if it's noticeable). I'll post the results when I'm done. The plan is to compare the S1P to the Five Fish MX500 mk500, the UAD Unison 1073, and the AEA TRP to give some interesting comparison points and provide insight into the particular coloration each offers.
Thanks, look fwd to your comments.
Old 11th December 2014
Ordered mine...!

R.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search