The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: The New Neumann TLM 107 Microphone
Old 21st October 2013
Whether the video is absurd or not it certainly tells a tale about the changing demographic of who buys "high end" microphones these days. The days of white lab coat wearing audio engineers that actually were engineers are long gone.

In those days audio engineering was serious business. Not so much nowadays, which is why the video was labeled absurd. It presents a new "high end" microphone as if it were a modern household appliance in a setting that feels not unlike an infomercial.

So I get the posts about it not being "expensive" enough. This to me is not a reference to dollars but to gravitas in the presentation. It is not "serious" enough from an engineering point of view and "blingy" extras don't help.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Whether the video is absurd or not it certainly tells a tale about the changing demographic of who buys "high end" microphones these days. The days of white lab coat wearing audio engineers that actually were engineers are long gone.

In those days audio engineering was serious business. Not so much nowadays, which is why the video was labeled absurd. It presents a new "high end" microphone as if it were a modern household appliance in a setting that feels not unlike an infomercial.

So I get the posts about it not being "expensive" enough. This to me is not a reference to dollars but to gravitas in the presentation. It is not "serious" enough from an engineering point of view and "blingy" extras don't help.
From this, I don't understand whether or not you're deeming this microphone to be high-end or not.
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Anyone - and I mean anyone - who has spent time with a TLM102 knows that it may only cost $700 street, but it holds it's own against microphones three and four times that price. Actually, I've yet to set up a 102 against one of the recent (past 5 years) U87ai's and ever prefer the 87. It's not happened even once. That's saying something, given the price. -- but to your thinking, you'd only have any respect for the TLM102 if it cost $4500.
I suppose if one is producing music with no subtlety, detail, or dynamics, it is easy to confuse a cheap microphone with a good one. It takes experience to understand why the good tools cost what they do, and why they are worth every penny.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Vintage King isn't selling it with the shock mount.
Old 23rd October 2013
It's for those who didn't buy U47 (.................or ELA251)

Old 28th October 2013
Gear Head

Are you kidding?

This mic looks beautiful. It has a new evolved modern design that is derivative
of the original Neumann look without being another clone. Not having heard it, I couldn't possibly make a judgement about it's sound. I like my TLM 102 so I'm guessing I would like this one, but I don't know yet and neither do you.
Do you all think Neumann should just make U47 clones? Where's the innovation in that? There are plenty of companies doing that already. Rupert Neve designs just came out with the Shelford Series, which gives a serious nod to the 1073, the icon of the past, while incorporating modern innovations in design and technology. Perhaps Neumann could go down that road. I'm sure it would be welcomed, but to remain static and only make two or three legacy products forever is death to a company like Neumann. Why would anybody want that? You don't have to like all of their modern products, but they all have their place including the TLM 103, Modern U87, and M147 or Neumann wouldn't keep selling them. Get off their case and go get a life!
Old 2nd November 2013
Lives for gear

I wish they would make another M-series or U-series mic. I love my U87, M149, and my M269c. The TLM models are just okay. :/
Old 2nd December 2013
Lives for gear

Something about the grille reminds me of a AMC Pacer.
Old 2nd December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Something about the grille reminds me of a AMC Pacer.
Old 3rd December 2013
this is there take on the 414
Old 3rd December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
this is there take on the 414
Do you mean the 414 XLS?
Can't say it looks anything like it, but I hope it don't sound anything like it. Boxy
Old 19th December 2013
With multiple patterns and just as good as the 102 or 103 it should be a great mic for its price. Anyone try one in their studio?
Old 21st December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
With multiple patterns and just as good as the 102 or 103 it should be a great mic for its price. Anyone try one in their studio?
I got to check one out for a day at my place. Great sounding mic, very open and natural top end without being sibilant. Different sound from other tlm models, slightly similar to the 102 but bigger sounding. I asked how they accomplished the brightness without sibilance and was told it is a combination of distance to the backplate and diaphragm tension. I'm looking forward to doing some tracking with it next time it's available to me.
Old 23rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
This microphone is not expensive enough for me.
Oh come on now Plush.

How about you actually listen to it?

Maybe it is great for a mid priced mic.

Seriously

Old 13th July 2014
I'd be interested in hearing people's views of this mic, in comparison with the other choices already in your respective mic lockers. I don't subscribe to the 'microphone is too cheap' meme. If it sounds good, or sounds great, I want to know that. I have a Gefell M1030 and a C414B-ULS and I imagine this mic would bring the clean high-end sound of the M1030 with the flexibility of the 414. For me the 414 has attributes that work well with my voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
Call me old fashioned if you must but I don't want my microphones to have a "user interface"
I think the 'user interface' comment is valid. It's the thing that would probably stop me moving further with this mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
Neumann did not go far enough.

If you're going to design the selection of mic settings as a separate "control-circuit", go the rest of the way and give this "control-circuit" wireless connectivity.

Choosing polar-pattern, pad & roll-off remotely would be handy in many situations.
And this is a very good point too. One one hand we want the stability and reliability of having solid switches un-coupled with power requirements, on the other wireless remote switching (with some decent relays perhaps) would be a kind of game changer.

Last edited by jrakarl; 13th July 2014 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: clarity
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search