The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AMS Neve - Genesys Black
Old 19th August 2014
  #121
Lives for gear
A favourable review in September's edition of Sound on Sound Magazine.
Old 22nd August 2014
  #122
Gear Nut
 

i'm feeling a bit giddy
Old 31st August 2014
  #123
Not really clear to me what you get at the base $50k price...
Old 1st September 2014
  #124
Lives for gear
 
Gravity8058's Avatar
 

I think this is well thought out. If the company spent even a tenth of the $ on marketing that SSL does, they would already have sold 200 of these-
Old 2nd September 2014
  #125
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
Not really clear to me what you get at the base $50k price...
Everything but the 1084 EQs so 8 input channels (transformer pres), 88R EQ, 88R dynamics, MADI/Firewire/AES converters. Actually the MADI is an option like the 1084s (although the FW/AES converters are standard).

Last edited by londonengineer; 2nd September 2014 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 17th September 2014
  #126
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeuz View Post
I have to show my full support for the Black. After talking to the folks at AMS-Neve UK, I understood what this product was all about.

At first glance, I also fell into believing that because a video-monitor was inserted into the console, and a bunch of hardware removed, that this was finally going to be the NEVE "everyone could afford".

The concept is quite different. It was never intended to be a Genesys LE, but rather a unique product, that allows a very smart integration of DAW+Analogue console. EUCON is NOT an open platform for all developers. Black offers HUI control integrated to a unique touch-screen interface, that makes this product unique, and workflow speedy.

The signal path of the Genesys is by no doubt gorgeous! Again, not intended by any means to be a clone of the revered 80 series, but a direct descendant of the 88rs. Anyone that has worked on these boards, that I know, seems to like them a lot! In fact, given the Genesys shorter signal path, it is a purer version of the 88rs.

Regarding sound,
I have worked on many consoles. For some reason with SSL, I normally end up patching a wall of peripherals to color the sound the way I want it. My experience working on the Genesys, is: Push up faders, and relax... The coloring of the console makes mixing soooo much easier.

Regarding reliability,
The new software update is quite stable. I automate extensively and have no complaints.

Yes, I also regret that the Black is $50k, but hey, if all by the sudden every studio in town could afford a Neve, how could I pride myself for being part of the exclusive "N" club?

- Just my humble thoughts
this is a glowing review! just wanted to ask which model of genesys you are writing this about?

thanks!
Old 22nd October 2014
  #127
Gear Addict
 
Songhead's Avatar
Here is a nice overview of the Genesys Black console. This features James Townend from AMS Neve showing the console at AES 2014 at the Pro Audio Design booth.
Old 24th October 2014
  #128
Lives for gear
 
jindrich's Avatar
 

Sorry, but that video was a massive waste of time and bandwith.

Rather than actually SHOW how the Black differences from the regular Genesys, all we get in all PR so far has been people talking, giving no more info that what can be found on a 5 line note press release.

What about showing in detail what the 16 faders below the TFT can and CAN'T do? What about tweaking plugins on the TFT and see how fast or slow finger movements react to that (making or breaking the deal)... etc, etc, etc

It's so unfortunate that AMS-Neve has IMO some of the worst Marketing-PR Dpts. in the industry.
Old 24th October 2014
  #129
Gear Maniac
 
cl-audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post

It's so unfortunate that AMS-Neve has IMO some of the worst Marketing-PR Dpts. in the industry.
today on their Facebook page they used a picture of a SSL G with a caption of "look, Pink Floyd is using our Neve 88R"

Scary when they can't tell the difference between their own and biggest competitors product, lol
Old 25th October 2014
  #130
I got a tour of the desk on the floor at AES. I have to say I was impressed. I think these will sell.
Old 26th October 2014
  #131
Lives for gear
 
drew's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I got a tour of the desk on the floor at AES. I have to say I was impressed. I think these will sell.
Trev, your tour video in your sig is awesome!! nice work!!!
Old 26th October 2014
  #132
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Trev, your tour video in your sig is awesome!! nice work!!!
Thanks man!
Old 27th October 2014
  #133
Lives for gear
 
Lipps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
What about showing in detail what the 16 faders below the TFT can and CAN'T do?
EXACTLY!

I still cant figure out if they are "locked" to the daw faders or if they can "flip" analog and control the inputs from daw to the mix bus.

why the ambiguity?
Old 28th October 2014
  #134
Trp
Gear Addict
 

The manual should answer all questions:
http://ams-neve.com/sites/amsneve/fi...blackiss1x.pdf
Old 29th October 2014
  #135
Lives for gear
 
jindrich's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trp View Post
The manual should answer all questions:
http://ams-neve.com/sites/amsneve/fi...blackiss1x.pdf
I don't think so. Have you read the manual?

Nowhere within the manual the center TFT and faders are mentioned.
Which makes me think AMS just recycled the original Genesys manual and will be adding stuff to it regarding particular Black features as they are developed. In other words, the Black is still a work in progress, as it was the original Genesys when launched, and it took two years for it to work as promised.

On the other hand, no manual tells you how precise and speedy a touch TFT can be. Can I add 0.5dB at 3.5Khz without having to try several times? Do I have to zoom In/out? how fast does that happen? Do real faders have much delay compared to their movements on the screen? etc. etc. etc

If AMS thinks that's what demos at trade shows are, then:

-AMS doesn't understand marketing in 2014
-AMS shouldn't introduce products until they are 100% finished.
Old 29th October 2014
  #136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
I don't think so. Have you read the manual?

Nowhere within the manual the center TFT and faders are mentioned.
Which makes me think AMS just recycled the original Genesys manual and will be adding stuff to it regarding particular Black features as they are developed. In other words, the Black is still a work in progress, as it was the original Genesys when launched, and it took two years for it to work as promised.

On the other hand, no manual tells you how precise and speedy a touch TFT can be. Can I add 0.5dB at 3.5Khz without having to try several times? Do I have to zoom In/out? how fast does that happen? Do real faders have much delay compared to their movements on the screen? etc. etc. etc

If AMS thinks that's what demos at trade shows are, then:

-AMS doesn't understand marketing in 2014
-AMS shouldn't introduce products until they are 100% finished.
Presumably anyone actually thinking of spending £50k on one of these is going to ask for a personal demo (which I'm sure they'd be happy to give - certainly when I was thinking about buying an original Genesys for my place they were more than happy to do that and even booked a room at Abbey Road for me to play with it for a couple of hours). I mean its not something you just click 'add to basket' with is it...?
Old 29th October 2014
  #137
Lives for gear
 
jindrich's Avatar
 

Of course you book a demo, and they're glad to do it for you.

But you must before set your eyes on one of such products, and then try to decide -among all of the options available-, which ones to check out. You need to book a flight to demo this stuff when you live in Kansas, Miami, Argentina, Mexico, South africa, Italy, Belgium, Czech Republik, Hong-Kong, India, etc etc.

If you don't even know what the product really does, unlike those from competitors, you just discard that option.

And some times, those with the final buying decision are (managers at public Radio/TVs) are more influenced by good marketing than from their technical staff's opinions.
Seen that a million times.


Just think, as an example, about the Car market. Once you go down to a car dealer to try a new XXXX, you've already bought the hype Marketing Dpts. sold you on the media.
Old 17th April 2015
  #138
News Desk Editor
 
The Press Desk's Avatar
 


#MESSE2015
Old 23rd June 2016
  #139
Lives for gear
 
Gravity8058's Avatar
 

Any newer users?
Old 10th September 2016
  #140
Lives for gear
 
Gravity8058's Avatar
 

Anyone buy one?
Old 17th October 2016
  #141
Lives for gear
 
MJGreene Audio's Avatar
 

On its way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 View Post
Anyone buy one?
Ordered one last week. 64 channel version for our new studio build. 32 mic pre's. 16 channels of the 1084 eq and 16 channels of the 88r eq. Should be here early December and hopefully up and running just after Christmas.

Tried it at the show and we were sold. There is also a hybrid Genesys/Gen Black here in town that has been working great and it sounds amazing.

More to report over the coming months.
Old 27th February 2017
  #142
Lives for gear
 
beyarecords's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio View Post
Ordered one last week. 64 channel version for our new studio build. 32 mic pre's. 16 channels of the 1084 eq and 16 channels of the 88r eq. Should be here early December and hopefully up and running just after Christmas.

Tried it at the show and we were sold. There is also a hybrid Genesys/Gen Black here in town that has been working great and it sounds amazing.

More to report over the coming months.
How's the Genesys been performing?
Old 27th February 2017
  #143
Lives for gear
 
MJGreene Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyarecords View Post
How's the Genesys been performing?
Its been really amazing. Everything I had hoped for and more. Been tracking some classical piano, harp and flute, vocals, and other small misc overdubs. Finally had our open house two weeks ago and we are getting up to speed. I have some rhythm section sessions next week that will give it a more in depth shakedown but everything I have tracked has been wonderful. As was mentioned by the original poster, I am finding myself using less eq than I expected. It is just a warm, and beautiful console. Routing is flexible and great.

I have also been doing quite a bit of mixing through it. Treating it as a large format summing mixer with 24 of the 32 outputs and returning my analog reverbs into the desk returns and outputting my ITB reverbs out 23/24. Its been really exceptional.

Cue sends are a breeze. Although I am still getting used to working on a larger console again after years of tracking and mixing ITB its great to be able to just reach up and mute, or adjust headphone mixes on the stereo cues. Also easy to send 8 outputs to the hear back system.

The build quality is incredible, and the service and care has been world class as you would expect from Neve.
Attached Thumbnails
AMS Neve - Genesys Black-16142940_10155032697010337_5360461189619389456_n.jpg   AMS Neve - Genesys Black-15966024_10154985467610337_8057268060121741214_n.jpg  
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump