The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AMS Neve - Genesys Black
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Nut

I am pretty sure I am in for the genesys black. Am thinking between the original and black.

It says that it have 16 tape monitoring. I supposed that means that 24 tracks can be recorded all at once if I have 16 external micpre?

Seems like pricing would be out next week.
Have put myself on the order list! Can't wait.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenguan88 View Post
I am pretty sure I am in for the genesys black. Am thinking between the original and black.

It says that it have 16 tape monitoring. I supposed that means that 24 tracks can be recorded all at once if I have 16 external micpre?

Seems like pricing would be out next week.
Have put myself on the order list! Can't wait.
We said the same thing about the geneysys until we got a hands on demo. I advise to get a test drive before committing to a lease, finance, or cash purchase for the price that's been thrown around.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
We said the same thing about the geneysys until we got a hands on demo. I advise to get a test drive before committing to a lease, finance, or cash purchase for the price that's been thrown around.
The demo of the unit did not live up to your needs ? I am curious to hear your thoughts on it ? Thanks
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
The demo of the unit did not live up to your needs ? I am curious to hear your thoughts on it ? Thanks
The sound was very clean. It was not the Neve sound we expected. More of an 88 sound but, dare I say, cleaner. The eq's had no filters at all and the mic pre transformers were a paid option and were the only transformers in the console. The DAW control for Pro Tools was extremely limited, the rotary encoders and switch implementation was weird. No scribble strips. During the demo the unit crapped out on us once. It just didn't seemed finished at that time and there was too much "we're planning on adding X in the future" for that level of investment.
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Nut

Did you see the new demo videos on youtube for the console? It seems pretty neat now. I do know that for protools you could only use the 4 encoders to control it. But for logic/cubase you are actually able to use the red mic pre to control the parameters. I guess for these hybrid console, SSL included it's hard to fit comprehensive DAW features at this price point. So I guess using this in conjunction with an Avid Artiste could solve some issue?

It was the quality of the console which I am unclear of, though it seems to say 1073 mic pre. but are these true 1073 mic pre. Plus the 1084 eqs, do they act similarly to actual units? If so, how can this console be that clean?!

;( Still many doubts that I have, though the only good thing is that would make us a Neve Faculty.
Old 30th October 2013
Quote:
Did you see the new demo videos on youtube for the console?
nope, link please?
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Nut

sorry they weren't that new. I was referring him to the videos of the original neve genesys.

For those who hadn't still saw it I have attach the link here again. Neve Genesys Features 1 of 3 - YouTube

Does anyone know if the preamps from the genesys are indeed those similar to that of the 1073. or at the very least those from the 1073DPA?

and also the 1084 eqs how similar they are. And if they aren't does the 88r 4 band eq do any justice to the board?
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Well this console clearly is borrowing parts from the current genesys so I think there is plenty of info out there about the preamps and eqs.... With that said I have dpds and 88 series prs and eqs. They are different of course but clearly share a lot of the same character... And again anyone who doesn't think you can make a record on an 88 r derived console then there's a problem....
The unknowns to me are how much if any improvement to the daw interface... I absolutely hate the 4 rotary encoders on the current genesys so does the touch screen allow more access... A pan and scribble strip should have been incorporated.....I mean for $49 v control gives you more and better control of protools then the current genesys so it better be awfully good....to command any premium
And the other big unknown exactly how many channels can you return to the console for summing .. A real panel photo would clear up a lot....

And the price... If the want to sell any of them it better be under 40k
But what d I know..

Cheers
SP
Old 31st October 2013
mixmixmix
It won't satisfy for a price. They are trying to jump on band-wagon - but are missing the target. Luxurious fail....
Old 13th November 2013
Gear Nut

Really really interested in this. Has any more info come out yet? Can't seem to find any...
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

Interesting how long a company can sell on the neve name... Ive tracked and mixed on a genesis but it bears nothing in resemblance with a nice rack of vintage marinair 106/73 channel amplifiers. Must be the reason that a rack of vintage 1066/73 is about the same price. Some people still have ears...
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear
I thought the Genesys sounded fantastic. They make no secret of it being descended from the 88R which not many people seem to criticise!
Old 13th November 2013
I'd be interested to hear the price. My B room is coming soon...
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

Who's says studios are dying, this guy has a B room coming!!! Congrats Sir!
Old 13th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
Who's says studios are dying, this guy has a B room coming!!! Congrats Sir!
Thanks man! www.circlestudios.co.uk
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Nut

Just confirm and am gonna put my deposit for a 32 channel genesys next week.
Opted for the 88r EQ instead. Really hope this would be a great piece of equipment for music production/educational purposes.
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Nut

Opted for the 88r EQ instead. Really hope this would be a great piece of equipment for music production/educational purposes.
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow , so what does one these units go for ? At least the one you want with your option choices . What else are getting loaded into it ?
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Nut

can I pm you?
Old 12th December 2013
Old 18th December 2013
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=jindrich;9520139

It might be enough for some. If I remember correctly, Greg Wells' Undertone console is exactly that: 8 full chs plus 16 line inputs (no DAW control or FX rts though).[/QUOTE]

Wells' UTA console doesn't have internal mic pres, just line inputs.
Old 22nd December 2013
Gear Maniac

My voice as a Genesys user

I have to show my full support for the Black. After talking to the folks at AMS-Neve UK, I understood what this product was all about.

At first glance, I also fell into believing that because a video-monitor was inserted into the console, and a bunch of hardware removed, that this was finally going to be the NEVE "everyone could afford".

The concept is quite different. It was never intended to be a Genesys LE, but rather a unique product, that allows a very smart integration of DAW+Analogue console. EUCON is NOT an open platform for all developers. Black offers HUI control integrated to a unique touch-screen interface, that makes this product unique, and workflow speedy.

The signal path of the Genesys is by no doubt gorgeous! Again, not intended by any means to be a clone of the revered 80 series, but a direct descendant of the 88rs. Anyone that has worked on these boards, that I know, seems to like them a lot! In fact, given the Genesys shorter signal path, it is a purer version of the 88rs.

Regarding sound,
I have worked on many consoles. For some reason with SSL, I normally end up patching a wall of peripherals to color the sound the way I want it. My experience working on the Genesys, is: Push up faders, and relax... The coloring of the console makes mixing soooo much easier.

Regarding reliability,
The new software update is quite stable. I automate extensively and have no complaints.

Yes, I also regret that the Black is $50k, but hey, if all by the sudden every studio in town could afford a Neve, how could I pride myself for being part of the exclusive "N" club?

- Just my humble thoughts
Old 11th January 2014
Gear Maniac

NAMM 2014 - AMS Neve Genesys Black

http://ams-neve.com/products/music/genesys-black
Old 19th January 2014
Lives for gear

I wonder when they will bring out their documentary vids on this unit to show how it works ?
Old 22nd January 2014
saj
Here for the gear

Today (Weds 22 Jan 2014) Live :

Vintage King (LA) Live Webcast Of Neve Genesys Black Console Launch.

Watch it here: http://vintageking.com/live

The webcast starts at 6 pm Pacific time (9 pm Eastern / 2 am GMT).

The webinar will show how the digitally controlled analog recording console with total integration will work in any studio environment.

Here's the link to register, if you want to go down to the VK LA store to see it in person: https://vintagekingaudio.wufoo.com/f...-launch-event/

---
Old 23rd January 2014
More cowbell!

Just watched the VK launch event vid and read the detailed brochure on this. Really different from all the speculation leading up to release. Looking at the early pics didn't at all do justice to the extensive utility going on here. Way more powerful than I expected, and the price seems pretty effing good considering the 8 preamps, 8 recallable EQ, recallable onboard compression, 4 pr of monitor outs, drag&drop control of analog routing, stereo width control, 88R center section and summing, etc. The DAW integration seems pretty slick and useful too--lots of clever, thoughtful features. Way more depth here than first meets the eye. I've heard nothing but good about the Neve conversion on the 1073 DPD, I bet this is similar or better, so another big savings there--and way more I/O options/routing/integration than a lot of converters out there. I think they found a good niche that competes well with all the similar units coming out lately. To be honest, I'm amazed it is this affordable. The tightly integrated touch screen is pretty much thrown in for free. I can't see how one could purchase all the elements of a set-up like this at this quality level for anywhere near this price. I could really see building a whole project or B studio around this. With this unit as the primary purchase you actually save a lot of hassle and expense. This is all coming from someone who is not an AMS-Neve fanBoi at all--I mean, I have RND right up the street and am a big supporter of theirs. So, seriously nice product guys. You got me thinkin' hmm..... :-)
Old 27th January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurveman View Post
Wells' UTA console doesn't have internal mic pres, just line inputs.

I was also looking at the UTA consoles. I've listened to records mixed through them and they sound really really good. They sound better than many. Would you think the neve gen black summing will match the UTA? I think you are right with similar set ups on the two. The UTA has no pres and with the neve you get 8 - 1073 plus dynamics, but the summing from daw comes 8 thru channels, 8 thru monitor section, and 8 through the effects return section above the buss(this eight is only assignable to the stereo buss pair below it and not just any buss pair). That's 24 into the 8buss to the master. You can also skip the 8 buss and mix 32 into the master. Greg wells desk is 24 into 2 stereo buss into master. Less bells n whistles but also a cheaper price tag.

I wonder which would sonically perform better? Comparable set up but which way to go?
Old 24th February 2014
Gear Nut

I think I'm gonna go for one of these. Brilliant Idea. Simple.
Asked about expanding with an Extra 16 channels. All possible.
Old 25th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabb View Post
I think I'm gonna go for one of these. Brilliant Idea. Simple.
Asked about expanding with an Extra 16 channels. All possible.
Keep us updated. Would love to see install pics, setup, etc.

Are they shipping yet? Does anyone know?
Old 6th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott petito View Post
Drew I am also replacing my Icon and recently looking for a used SSl AWS.. but this has potential... I love my Icon but no way I will go to an S6 the M4 versions looks like a total unexpandable toy........

this NEVE looks interesting despite the small channel count... also the new BOX by API seem ok at first glance but only 4 channels??? if they also Had done 8 with pre and eq and expandable then maybe they would have something....
I would venture a price guess of around 40K for this Neve... a 16ch genesys can be had for around 55K a 16 cannel SSl around 50K I think under 50 even with the touchscreen would be my guess...
cheers
Scott
the Genesys black is fully expandable unto 32 inputs all in packs of 8
but you are looking around 110K for the 32 input version that is with all els from the 88RS with 1073 preamps you can have some 1084 eq at extra cash don't know how mych but my guess is close top 16 k per 8 ch bank
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search