The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
990C improvements! Now the "990C+"
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

990C improvements! Now the "990C+"

The 990 Discrete Op-Amp has been improved:

In January of 2013, manufacturing of the 990 was converted from through-hole assembly to surface-mount assembly. Many improvements in components were made. The basic circuit and package dimensions remain the same, but the name has been modified to “990C+” to signify the changes.

Please see the home page at The John Hardy Co. Home for more information.

Thank you very much.

John Hardy
The John Hardy Co.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

The link to the 990 data package (on your site) takes me to a 404 page.

Congrats and thanks for not being api and actually changing the name to reflect that improvements/changes have been made in your product!
Old 18th October 2013
Hi John, congrats on the 990 evolution. And glad to see you are around and doing ok?!
Old 20th October 2013
Deleted 37a7726
Nice. Just in time before a new build...
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

John, can the new 990C+ be fitted into existing preamps? I have a few of your pres which are already outstanding but if you say this is an "improvement" then count me in.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Multiple reply:

OK, just back from AES. Exhausted, but had a great time.

I just fixed the link on my home page to the new 990 pdf.

All is well here, just behind, but catching up. Thanks for the compliments.

The 990C+ has the same potting shell, pin locations, etc., as the previous version, so it is fully compatible. Different potting material, less of it because the parts are much shorter. I will wait to see what everyone thinks in terms of differences. I would not necessarily rush out and replace a bunch of the 990C with the 990C+, but you never know.

Thanks very much to everyone.

John Hardy
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

I hope AES was a success for you.

Swapping the 990 is a simple thing, is that right? Pull one out, put another in? No soldering, etc.

If so I may just order a couple and try it out. I have a pair of your Twin-Servos so I could even swap one 990 for a C+ version, A/B the two together, and decide which is preferred.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Elambo:

Assuming your existing 990s are installed in sockets, then yes, just unplug the existing one, plug in a new one. If you are talking about an M-1, M-2 or Jensen Twin Servo 990 Mic Preamp, they are socketed. Otherwise, you will need a good desoldering tool.

By the way, the official extraction tool for removing a 990 from its sockets is a pair of jumbo paperclips. Take the outer end of the clip and straighten the last 90-degree bend so the wire extends beyond the main body of the clip. Then put a small "L" or "J" bend at the very end (about 1/8" or so) to use as hooks to pull up on the shell of the 990. Bend it a bit more than 90 degrees.

If you change a 990 in any of my preamps, the "input bias current compensation" adjustment should be readjusted.

Thank you.

John
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search