The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Official Release: Heider FD312 Mic / Line Preamp from classicapi.com
Old 20th December 2013
Gear Guru

I just go through a littlelabs DI in front of the FD.
Sounds GREAT.
Old 28th December 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
short mono clips from a quick session today.
kick,snare and mono 414eb kissing an api 525 printed to one track.
FD312 then VP28
wow, both sound amazing! was looking to buy API 512c's for my lunchbox but the fact that everybody is complaining about them being too hot before hitting the converters and I don't feel like buying line pads has me thinking about other options. "herecomesyourman" here on gearslutz recommended both these pre's and I must say they sound great on these clips. Also makes me think about buying a pair of 525's
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
FD312 then VP28
Your just mean! You know My addiction to buying pres in sets of 8 !
Old 29th December 2013
Quote:
FD312 then VP28
Damn. Great playing. Love the way you recorded this. I had to go back and forth between the two a number of times before deciding on the more open quality of the VP28 as my preference, if only because they add a sense of space to the kit as a whole. They are obviously cut from the same cloth and can imagine if I had both I might record my drums with the FD and mix with the VP28s. But that's just me.

And I want that Bock. Figures I would come away from your post wanting the most expensive piece of equipment used.
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Head

Hey guys. I have a new web store (which is far from finished) to be able to take orders on the Heider and make the process seamless. I hope to have some more videos posted soon. The feedback from everyone on Music Row has been amazing. From pro's to hobbyists everyone seems to agree the Heider rocks. Buy online or better yet give us a shout if you have questions

Rob Dennis
Rack-N-Roll Audio

Here's the link:
Classic Audio Products of Illinois Heider FD312WHR4 | Rack-N-Roll Audio
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Head

Hey guys. I have a new web store (which is far from finished) to be able to take orders on the Heider and make the process seamless. I hope to have some more videos posted soon. The feedback from everyone on Music Row has been amazing. From pro's to hobbyists everyone seems to agree the Heider rocks. Buy online or better yet give us a shout if you have questions

Rob Dennis
Rack-N-Roll Audio

Here's the link:
Classic Audio Products of Illinois Heider FD312WHR4 | Rack-N-Roll Audio
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
FD312 then VP28
great comparison!

what DOAs were used in the VP28 in your examples? Did the Heiders have the stock red dots?

thanks!!
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpeleven View Post
great comparison!

what DOH were used in the VP28 in your examples? Did the Heiders have the stock red dots?

thanks!!
Thanks!
28's have Gar 2520's
HD312's have SL reds.
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks!
28's have Gar 2520's
HD312's have SL reds.
interesting! In your example the VP seems brighter, more open & to pack less punch in the lo mids in comparison to the FD312, even though the heider has red dots which to me always seem to be of the snappier, faster kind similar to GAR2520s... So it's safe to assume the heiders do indeed by far have a darker/smoother texture overall.

As for the VP28 using different kind of opamps seems to smooth out the response as opposed to having 2 identical amps. Generally, on the 28s I tend to prefer a fast, detailed op-amp on the input such as GAR2520 or Red Dots followed by some slower and richer sounding op-amp, such as the ML2520 or better still a VF600.

Might be interesting to check against the heider with some slower/darkish op-amp in the 28 or even to check with identical amps in both units just for the record...
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Head

Check out Jeff's new Heider ad in the new Tape Op!!

Gary
Old 11th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

how do you like the tutti preamp round badge? do you prefer the ca heider pre?
Old 11th February 2014
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
how do you like the tutti preamp round badge? do you prefer the ca heider pre?
After using both side by side for a few weeks, prefer the Capis.
The SP1 was very cool,beautifully built.
Classy/expensive and smooth sounding.
A tiny bit cleaner more polite overall,esp the midrange.sounded lovely on strings,piano and acoustic guitars.
I just preferred what the vps and hd's were doing in the end.to my ears a bit bigger more"rock n roll" .(API). Esp on stuff like drums and gtrs.
Also They're all dual stage designs but the SP is literally twice as much money.
Harder to justify when you can buy 2 HD's for the price of 1 SP.
would have liked to have kept them but also just scored some original A Ranges $$ so they had to go back to VK lol.(wife)
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I just go through a littlelabs DI in front of the FD.
Sounds GREAT.
little labs +1
Old 19th June 2014
Gear Maniac
I've been playing with a pair of FD312's for the past two days.

So far: As good as it gets on close miked drums. It won out against all the other major "API" contenders we had on hand in those roles. I have not heard it on overheads or rooms yet. It's a dense, thick, solid, and punchy vibe. It's not of the "open clean 3D hi-fi" persuasion, so when I tried it on harp and cello I ended up back with the old RCA tube pres, but I didn't expect the 312's to fill that role. I'm a now a big believer in the 2 stage approach. I even ran some mix elements through them with good results. I'd say in general it tames, thickens, and solidifies. This weekend they will see some action on electric guitars and perhaps overheads. The testing continues...
Old 22nd July 2014
JMM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by worksinframes View Post
I've been playing with a pair of FD312's for the past two days.

So far: As good as it gets on close miked drums. It won out against all the other major "API" contenders we had on hand in those roles. I have not heard it on overheads or rooms yet. It's a dense, thick, solid, and punchy vibe. It's not of the "open clean 3D hi-fi" persuasion, so when I tried it on harp and cello I ended up back with the old RCA tube pres, but I didn't expect the 312's to fill that role. I'm a now a big believer in the 2 stage approach. I even ran some mix elements through them with good results. I'd say in general it tames, thickens, and solidifies. This weekend they will see some action on electric guitars and perhaps overheads. The testing continues...
Any more updates with guitars or vocals? This is my next purchase fun to read the hype on these guys....

Last edited by JMM; 22nd July 2014 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: Punctuation correction
Old 5th October 2014
Lives for gear

New Heider vid

Rob from Rack-N-Roll has just released another promo video for the Heider FD312. This was filmed late last year at Slack Key Studio in Nashville. Home base for dobro-slinger & producer/engineer Randy Kohrs.

FYI, Randy's beard is currently about twice as long as it was when this was filmed!
Old 20th December 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:

How does the Tutti S1P compare to the Heider?! EDIT: spoke to soon! Just saw your response to that same question...
Old 16th October 2016
Noa
Gear Addict

I just bought a Heider a couple of weeks ago. My go to "API style" pre has always been an Electrodyne 501, for vocals. I know, the 501 isn't totally in the API camp, but it leans in that direction. The Vp28 was great for many things but I would always reach for the 501 when recording vocals.

Until the Heider. While the 501 is very balanced, the Heider has a ton of mojo. I finally found an API style pre that I love for vox.

For the 500 series, the AML ez1073 and CAPI Heider FD312, are my favs for vocals.

Keep 'em coming, Jeff!!
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Maniac

Hi guys,
What are your impressions/differences about Heider FD312 vs CAPI VP312 + ML?
Is there one 51x version of FD312?

Last edited by Black Ninja; 1st February 2017 at 11:05 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search