The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
FabFilter Pro-MB
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Guru

what i notice about FF plugins is that : everytime i try a new one , i said to myself : it will be cool to get this , and that : ooops it's there ....what i mean is that this is one of the few brands that provide all the features modern DAW guyz can look for from start ...reminds me what's in RME Console (what ever you wannad do /route , you can !!)
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

haven't tested it yet, but it sure looks impressive.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcb123 View Post
Will be handy for some Mastering but refuse to use multi during mixing.
Try it: dynamic phase mode might change your mind...
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
Didn't even demo...I'll pretty much buy everything they put out sight un-seen. At first the idea of another multibander didn't excite me at all, but about half way through the video you realize how much more than just a MB this is.

Especially with the dynamic discount, $137 makes this a no brainer.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

I just downloaded it and demoed it on a drum bus for twenty minutes to experiment. This plugin is seriously impressive.
Old 17th October 2013
Yeah I didn't care for another MB at all when I first saw it, but after using it I quickly changed my mind.

Last MB I tried was WavesC6 and I always preferred my mix without it. This on the other-hand is one of those "aha, that's how they do it" things. For dance music I find it to be a huge help
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Can we set up a really narrow band to deesse for example?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpix74 View Post
Can we set up a really narrow band to deesse for example?
Yesssssss

It is seriously impressive and the more time you spend with it the more you realize how much is in there.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

let's also not forget about the ergonomics

Using your mouse scroll to adjust the width of the 'crossover' is FAN freaking tastic!
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

*edit* Thanks!

Last edited by Brian R; 17th October 2013 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: sovled
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R View Post
Anyone got a "Friend Discount" they want to PM? I have no "real-life" people from which to use or obtain this option...
PM'd

I demo'd this for about a minute then, once I tried the FREE sidechaining I fell in love.

amazing.
Old 17th October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post
Yeah I didn't care for another MB at all when I first saw it, but after using it I quickly changed my mind.

Last MB I tried was WavesC6 and I always preferred my mix without it. This on the other-hand is one of those "aha, that's how they do it" things. For dance music I find it to be a huge help
I don't use MB for master too. But this tool is great for problematic vocals, de-ess, e.t.c.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks to the developer for that brilliant work.

The sound quality, CPU efficiency and interface ergonomics are perfect.

The only strange thing, as to me, is that in Dynamic Phase processing mode (which in fact is dynamic EQ mode) equal damping of adjacent bands result in non-flat amplitude response (significant peak at crossfade freq. is present). Seems, this is not an immanent feature and maybe can be corrected (e.g. using two consequent symmetric low- and hi-shelve filters with same 'significant frequency' result in flat response, even if not it always can be corrected by relative frequency shift).
Attached Thumbnails
FabFilter Pro-MB-mb.jpg  
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

You're saying the yellow peaks should touch where the red & blue does?
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

The response should be flat. Exactly like in other modes (linear phase and minimum phase). The picture attached illustrate the same settings in linear phase mode.
Attached Thumbnails
FabFilter Pro-MB-mb2.jpg  
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, this looks like another great offering by FabFilter. Those guys really think their products through. Killer.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

Fabfilter Pro-MB

New multiband compression/expansion plug-in from Fabfilter.

http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pr...pander-plug-in

Dan Worral introduction video: http://youtu.be/LNkaGACWuhs
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post

try the L3-16 the only waves that actually put some oj the table in this area ..at least in my case

back to FF ...
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Been playing with this MB for a few hours...love it.

The GUI is fantastic, and it sounds great. Been looking for a good sounding MB for a while, this is it for me.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
The GUI is fantastic, and it sounds great. Been looking for a good sounding MB for a while, this is it for me.
Yup. Perfect MB for me.
Old 18th October 2013
Deleted User #106149
Ok few questions -

so its early days but on initial instinct where are you guys finding this helps most in the mix? Certain tracks? Groups? or are you using it on the master bus? Just post mixdown mastering?

Is there a specific area of your mix you always subconsciously knew could be improved on and now this plugin is the solution?

Im taking a cautious approach because in the past C6/LinMb and other multibands initially seemed like they were helping my mixes, and i was addicted to using them for ages, but since ditching them my mixing skills, and mixes themselves have improved dramatically. Essentially i currently see Multibands as being quick fixes to mask a problem, that would be fine for mastering as you have no other choice, but during the mixing stage, where's it helping you?

Im not writing it off btw, im just hoping someone can tell me how it serves their purposes.

The pro L actually sits very subtly on my Master bus, is this a worthy contender to replace it ?

Ps - Fabfilter please increase the oversampling past x4. Would be amazing if it reached the ridiculously high sampling rates of The Glue for example
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
The pro L actually sits very subtly on my Master bus, is this a worthy contender to replace it ?
I wouldn't think so as Pro-MB is a compressor, not a brick wall limiter.
Cheers
Old 18th October 2013
Deleted User #106149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
I wouldn't think so as Pro-MB is a compressor, not a brick wall limiter.
Cheers
Funnily enough i gathered that. But im using either or. Not both. I use the pro l purely for subtle transient shaping, the MB seems like it can essentially do that side of things aswell.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funnily enough i gathered that. But im using either or. Not both. I use the pro l purely for subtle transient shaping, the MB seems like it can essentially do that side of things aswell.
My apologies then.
I wrongly, it seems, assumed you were using the Pro-L for limiting.

If there is no peak reduction happening when you use Pro-L then you might be better off using the MB.

I certainly use compressors and limiters on the stereo bus when I'm doing mastering duties, as opposed to mixing duties when I wouldn't use the limiter.

Old 18th October 2013
Deleted User #106149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
My apologies then.
I wrongly, it seems, assumed you were using the Pro-L for limiting.

If there is no peak reduction happening when you use Pro-L then you might be better off using the MB.

I certainly use compressors and limiters on the stereo bus when I'm doing mastering duties, as opposed to mixing duties when I wouldn't use the limiter.

Perhaps you might have thought of that possibility, hence me asking the question, before attempting to school me with some patronising sarcasm .
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
this tool is great for problematic vocals, de-ess, e.t.c
Yes Den, good call.
Just putting it to that use now, it's doing a good job.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

Yep.

Very impressive. So much so that I had to check GS to see if anyone else was thinking what I was thinking.... and that is, that this thing is hot !

Like many out there, I never could fully get into multi-bands, although I've used them when warranted but this thing.... Quick, Smart, Efficient - Nothing "Shrill" about it at all.

I'll say it again: Impressive !!!
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Fabfilter never disappoints!
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
Wow.

This might be my first FabFilter purchase.

I'm hoping it will replace my TC Powerocre Dynamic EQ plugin.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search