The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Serpent Announces The Chimera (Opto Limiter/Compressor) (500 Series)
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

Hardware AES-NYC: Serpent Announces The Chimera (Opto Limiter/Compressor) (500 Series)

Available Dec, 2013

Price: $1079 USD

Come check out the Chimera in action at the 135th AES in NYC (Oct 18th - 20th)

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 29th October 2013 at 01:45 PM..
Old 16th October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Soooo Mike, we really need to get it in the Clipalator...stat!

Can't wait to put it through the paces, congrats!

War
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus328 View Post

Available Dec, 2013

Price: $1049 USD

Come check out the Chimera in action at the 135th AES in NYC (Oct 18th - 20th)
Finally some opto's with real t4b's instead of IC's..

Cheu
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

So anybody compared this to a teletronix la3a?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

I spoke with mike on the phone about this little guy. It's basically a 1-channel version of his SA3A, a 2-channel DIY LA3A clone with some modern tweaks. I got to hear some samples comparing the two and they were identical, which is awesome. So, if you are familiar with his SA3A, then you know what this sounds like already. :-)
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletchuck View Post
So, if you are familiar with his SA3A, then you know what this sounds like already. :-)
So it's safe to say they are unbelieveably awesome!!! The SA3A is my fav compressor right now....
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Are there any sound examples that compares them side by side with vintage la3as?
Are the settings matchable with la3as?
Im asking because im about to drop some serious dough for a couple of la3as
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Are there any sound examples that compares them side by side with vintage la3as?
Are the settings matchable with la3as?
Im asking because im about to drop some serious dough for a couple of la3as
I was on the same search, with the same financial outlook....

Then,

My Stereo LA3A Itch just got scratched......

If the Chimera even holds up the slightest end of the bargain, it's a winner. And knowing Mike, it will go above and beyond. The SA3A comes stock with all the popular mods that get done on the LA3A;s so you can switch easily between stock and modded. You won't be disappointed if you go Serpent. Mike is a freaking genius and meticulous beyond....well, almost beyond human. Super nice guy too. Highly recommended.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear
Ayyyyyyeh..Only two knobs..!...
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

I tried it out today. It is a very smooth compressor and sounded so good with acoustic guitar.
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

Anyone else have experience with this box?
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

Anyone able to do a shootout with an la3a?
Old 10th November 2013
Gear Guru

They aren't shipping you, so I'd say that's a difficult comparison... That said, Dan Deurloo spent a lot of time with them @ AES and he told me they sound virtually identical to the SA3A's that he custom built for me, so I'm excited. I don't thing anything short of a good condition vintage 3A can touch these. Mike looks to have done an amazing feat.
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
They aren't shipping you, so I'd say that's a difficult comparison... That said, Dan Deurloo spent a lot of time with them @ AES and he told me they sound virtually identical to the SA3A's that he custom built for me, so I'm excited. I don't thing anything short of a good condition vintage 3A can touch these. Mike looks to have done an amazing feat.
Ok so one last question before ordering a pair to start with. The original goes to 10, this one goes to 11. are the values up to 10 precisely interchangeablem with settings i have come to love on the original?
Old 11th November 2013
Quote:
Ok so one last question before ordering a pair to start with. The original goes to 10, this one goes to 11. are the values up to 10 precisely interchangeablem with settings i have come to love on the original?

r,
j,
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have no idea man. My SA3A's are labeled "10" not 11. But I know that the "circuitry" is identical per Mike Pildas who designed it. So I trust that. I suggest you contact him and ask him this question. Or you could PM Dan Deurloo. He would probably know as well. I don't think you'll be disappointed though. I'm going to get one or two myself.
Old 12th February 2014
Any news on this yet? Anybody have one of these or are we still waiting?
Old 7th April 2014
Noa
Gear Addict

How are people liking this unit? Comments?
Old 7th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Bump any reviews?
Old 16th September 2017
Quote:
I have no idea man. My SA3A's are labeled "10" not 11. But I know that the "circuitry" is identical per Mike Pildas who designed it. So I trust that. I suggest you contact him and ask him this question. Or you could PM Dan Deurloo. He would probably know as well. I don't think you'll be disappointed though. I'm going to get one or two myself.
Hey Bill,

Have you compared the SA-3a to the Chimera?
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Hey Bill,

Have you compared the SA-3a to the Chimera?
No, haven't had the chance yet. I'm going to get another channel of Serpent 500 compression though. Either Chimera or Splice. I'm leaning towards splice though as I have quite a few channels of opto style compression.
Old 16th September 2017
Quote:
No, haven't had the chance yet. I'm going to get another channel of Serpent 500 compression though. Either Chimera or Splice. I'm leaning towards splice though as I have quite a few channels of opto style compression.
Nice. I have my 2nd Spice MKII 19" on it's way.
Old 18th September 2017
Noa
Gear Addict

Just got a Chimera.

It's finally the optical I was looking for. It has a clearer focus than many other opticals that I have tried. It is also brighter than the others. My search is over.

It sounds hifi opposed to vintage, to my ears, and kills on vocals and acoustics.

Great build quality. Now I must get my hands on a Splice.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search