The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves and Abbey Road Studios present the J37 tape saturation plugin
Old 15th October 2013
News Desk Editor

Software Waves and Abbey Road Studios present the J37 tape saturation plugin

Waves and Abbey Road Studios present the J37 tape saturation plugin, a precision model of the very machine used to record many of the greatest masterpieces in modern music. With a variety of user-adjustable controls including Tape Speed, Bias, Noise, Saturation, Wow and Flutter, the Waves: Abbey Road J37 faithfully recreates the inimitable sonic signature of the original machine. In addition to the J37 itself, three exclusive oxide tape formulas have been modeled. Specially developed by EMI during the ‘60s and ‘70s, each formula has its own unique frequency response and harmonic distortion behavior. In order to push the envelope even further, a comprehensive Tape Delay unit has been added to complement those warm tones.

The Waves: Abbey Road J37 tape emulation plugin will bring stunning analog warmth to your digital recordings, delivering a level of hardware realism never before experienced “in the box.”
  • Tape saturation plugin
  • Created in association with Abbey Road Studios
  • Modeled on the machine used to create countless classic '60s tracks
  • Includes models of three exclusive tape formulas developed by EMI
  • Adds analog warmth to digital recordings
  • Controls for Bias, Wow, Flutter, Tape Speed and more
  • Comprehensive Tape Delay including three different delay types, Sync, LP and HP filter controls and more

Read "Behind the J37 Tape"

Link : J37 Tape Saturation Plugin | Waves

Last edited by The Press Desk; 15th October 2013 at 04:48 PM..
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Guru

Interesting. Definitely no lack of tape plugs these days.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

From the people who brought you the "Sorry, we can't update our compressor plugins to 64-bit"....

Well, at least they're keeping busy.
Old 15th October 2013
Motown legend

All I can say is that the C-37s we had at Motown were the best sounding analog tape machines I ever used. I was praying for them to model this machine rather than the BTR.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

And another Tape plug, bring them on :-) Beautiful days lately filled with tape sat. Looking forward to hear this one
Old 15th October 2013
Whattttttttttttt?! Dreams really do come true
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

Anyone try the demo yet?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

??? But they ARE 64 bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
From the people who brought you the "Sorry, we can't update our compressor plugins to 64-bit"....

Well, at least they're keeping busy.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Anyone know if this is covered under WUP? The Abbey Road stuff has been NOT in the past.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Nut

I hope it's better than the Kramer tape plugin. Looks interesting though.
Old 15th October 2013
Deleted User #106149
omg toneboosters reelbus i love you but this may, just may knock you out of my chain
Old 15th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Anyone know if this is covered under WUP? The Abbey Road stuff has been NOT in the past.
If you mean "do you get it in your Mercury Bundle if you are within your WUP coverage" it looks so far like the answer is no...
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
If you mean "do you get it in your Mercury Bundle if you are within your WUP coverage" it looks so far like the answer is no...
at first the rs plugin - and now the new tape machine... bad news!
Old 15th October 2013
mfx
Lives for gear

Don't think this is covered in Mercury from what i can see. The latest addition and I maybe wrong, is the MV2 compressor in the Dave Audé EMP Toolbox. Not a lot else, think this is the usual EMI/Abbey Road Studio licensing products not covered under Mercury :(

Dissapointing but already have the excellent Slate Digital VTM and u-hes Satin along with other saturators - so I might miss out but save some money I guess
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Kinda interesting but, until I can sort Waves plugs as I want on my daw, running on my computer, which I've setup to my specific taste, I'll never be interested in anything new from Waves. Why some have to be extra I don't know, they could just offer vst plugs like everyone else so we can sort them as we want. Their prices are extreme enough without being forced to place their plugs where they want them on your computer you paid for

I think that could be classed as a rant
Old 15th October 2013
Unless they throw a special offer at me (I think they did with the RS56, no?) I'll simply wait until it's WUP time, then use the WUP voucher towards this... should be able to get a slightly better price that way. I'm not in a huge hurry for another tape plugin at the moment.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

REDD, which is a Abbey Road Plugin, is included in Mercury. I know Mercury is still a good deal for everything included, but one of the reasons I went for it was to get the new plugins and right after I bought it, it seems Waves changed gears. Unless version 10 is on the horizon and is going to offer new things, not sure why Mercury users would WUP up (other than to get the discount applied to other plugins).
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontano View Post
REDD, which is a Abbey Road Plugin, is included in Mercury. I know Mercury is still a good deal for everything included, but one of the reasons I went for it was to get the new plugins and right after I bought it, it seems Waves changed gears. Unless version 10 is on the horizon and is going to offer new things, not sure why Mercury users would WUP up (other than to get the discount applied to other plugins).
This is how I feel as well. This will be the second plug this year that is not covered in the Mercury bundle. Doesn't make me want to wup :-(
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

+1
Old 15th October 2013
mfx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-madd View Post
This is how I feel as well. This will be the second plug this year that is not covered in the Mercury bundle. Doesn't make me want to wup :-(
Good idea with the WUP discount voucher...I hope however that Mercury isn't going to be phased out in preference to Soundgrid or something else :/
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
+1 too... Im a little bit disappointed too, at first I thought buying the Mercury Bundle + keeping it up to date with WUP is a good choice since you will always have the newest plugins, but now Waves starts to do stuff like this more and more.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
All I can say is that the C-37s we had at Motown were the best sounding analog tape machines I ever used. I was praying for them to model this machine rather than the BTR.
you were involved with the Kramer emu. and you used this machine ...any thoughts when you demo this would be: invaluable
thx
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

Great intro videos from Waves. We are able to see how things are made and conceptualized....with real photos of different types of tape. Why would we need any moments when you can actually hear it when we have people who are affiliated with the product to simply explain it to us.
And yes, I know that I can download a demo
Old 15th October 2013
Waves did a fine job on the MPX, so this one definitively deserves the attention.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

Checking it out now. While I have not yet formed an opinion, one thing is very apparent. (Perhaps appropriately) the plugin is very sensitive to the level being fed to it - far more than most I have used (even more than NLS and REDD). A quick tour of some of the presets indicate it is capable of a lovely euphonic sound. I'm also finding it very easy to get a dreadful (dare I say unusable?) sound.

Having fun.

Edited to add: I wish Waves would reclassify this (as well as Kramer tape and NLS). In Cubase, they appear under "Distortion" (instead of sometjhing like analog emulation). I've been using them for a long time, and I still have to pause and remember "Oh, yea...distortion..." Irks me every time.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I already have 3 tape plugins emulations. This one looks nice but... not included in Mercury ? The least Abbey Road could do is offer a discount voucher for owners of their now orphan plugins. That would be a sensible gesture.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by at4033 View Post
Checking it out now. While I have not yet formed an opinion, one thing is very apparent. (Perhaps appropriately) the plugin is very sensitive to the level being fed to it - far more than most I have used (even more than NLS and REDD). A quick tour of some of the presets indicate it is capable of a lovely euphonic sound. I'm also finding it very easy to get a dreadful (dare I say unusable?) sound.

Having fun.
Yeah this is very cool. Love the tape hiss too

TH
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Nut

Only been demo it for 25 minutes... I actually kinda like it...

I like the 815 tape at 15 ips on drum bus... maybe a tad saturation on the main bus or some heavy compression/distortion on paralell. I think it's pretty cool that you can choose modeled tracks 2, 2+3 or 3 like you can do with NLS with the different modeled channels.

But I could use it for just the delays. It's pretty wicked! Easy to use if you want some character delay.

I already have Slate VTM and the UAD Ampex... so don't know yet if I'll buy this one, it sounds different, but it sounds just as good. Maybe it's just me but I kinda like it more as a delay.

Will try it out more tomorrow...
Old 15th October 2013
Cool to have another native option on the market. There certainly are a lot of choices out there (Kramer, Slate VTM, U-He Satin, UAD Ampex and Studer to name a few...). I personally own UAD Ampex, and Studer, and I like them very much. With that in mind, I have decided not to demo this... there comes a point where you just have to settle with the plugins you already have and learn all their secrets.

However, just looking at the plugin, it looks pretty user friendly, and if I didn't already have tape well covered, I would certainly be looking at it... good price, and native. One more thing... I think it all depends on your goals which one of these machines you choose. I personally like a pretty hi-fi sound, so I gravitate toward models of the more modern tape machines. I think waves tape plugins seem to be more geared toward tape as a more obvious affect, hence they are modeling the older stuff.

I changed my mind, I'll probably demo it anyway... hard to resist just for curiosity sake...
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

seems to me that Waves have got the hots for Abbey Road these days...maybe there will be updates to the old plugins too?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search