The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves and Abbey Road Studios present the J37 tape saturation plugin
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Thanx Jeezo for the Video!!
you're welcome , but honeslty i find it diffcicult to judge on this one ...

have you heard enougth to feel the sonic impact of this baby ?
Old 16th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
you're welcome , but honeslty i find it diffcicult to judge on this one ...

have you heard enougth to feel the sonic impact of this baby ?
to be true its difficult to hear the highs but some of the punch and compression can be heard...plugin sounds decent but prob have to demo...strange they didnt put in a link function considering they talk about putting it on all tracks in the video...

What do you think of it?
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

well i only scratch the surface on that stupid beat ..didn't even tried the delay and the wow and flutter ..but first contact is great ...layout is great and less oppressive than Satin

sonically , defenitly a character on its own ....

will do also a stress test , i don't feeel code optimisation in it ......or maybe just the graphic engine .....

reminds me the uad feel (that i tried only once !!! )

oh yeah the one thing i love is the fact that you get the 2+3 option def some that add fun in the imagin !!! this brings life like crazy imho ...independant L/R non linearity is really bringing some new on the table ....
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Together with the REDD, the brilliance pack, the RS124 and the Puigchild, we have the whole Beatles recording chain in plugin. Now we can do a Sgt.Pepper sounding album...wait, I need a U47. And they should release the Studio 2 IR for both the live room and echo chamber...Not there yet.

With just the J37 we could do a pretty convincing McCartney I sounding album though.
Old 16th October 2013
Quote:
well i only scratch the surface on that stupid beat ..didn't even tried the delay and the wow and flutter ..but first contact is great ...layout is great and less oppressive than Satin

sonically , defenitly a character on its own ....

will do also a stress test , i don't feeel code optimisation in it ......or maybe just the graphic engine .....

reminds me the uad feel (that i tried only once !!! )

oh yeah the one thing i love is the fact that you get the 2+3 option def some that add fun in the imagin !!! this brings life like crazy imho ...independant L/R non linearity is really bringing some new on the table ....
cool...ps not sure how you find Satin oppressive lol!
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
...layout is great and less oppressive than Satin
The Waves J37 interface is a wretched example of useless skeuomorphism. So much wasted space. So much distraction. My first thought when I saw the interface was, "You've got to be kidding!" With the obnoxious licensing process, the arcane Waves file structure and the terrible interface, it would have to be a piece of magic before I bought something like this.

How I wish it were like Satin, in all those respects. In addition, it would be nice if it were $89, like Satin was at its release.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
I really like this one. Actually the tape delay is killer.

I keep getting this fancy graphical bug though.
I'm getting these bugs, too. OS X 10.8.5, Logic Pro X 10.0.3. Really annoying. Waves just fixed a graphics bug on the retina MacBooks and now this ... Will contact the support and see if they are aware of it.

Edit: They are aware of it and will release a fix with the next release. It seems to affect the new J37 only.
Old 16th October 2013
Administrator

By now all of you should know that if you want to OT rant and give out about whatever there is a specific place for that and the New Product Alert secion is not it. OK!

Please use the moan zone or one of the other existing "AR plugins discontinued" threads please!

Thanks
Old 16th October 2013
Interesting plug-in, has all expected features + tape delay. Emulates also tape compression, so it's not only a "tape saturation effect".
Different band types and different modeled tracks to select the best for mastering or single tracks. I've seen it for $126 so it's not expensive.
Could be a interesting option besides VTM and don't need an iLok.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

??
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
cool...ps not sure how you find Satin oppressive lol!
i confess oppressive is kinda hard , satin by the way is great !! i'm just , when it come to colors (of sound) , a man who don't want to mess around to get sound and to be able to switch from one sound to another super fast (from tape to tape , ect ...)....i might be wrong so excuses for that , but i felt that with Satin , tweaking was more on the menu than this one ...even if in the J37 we can tweak !!

i found maybe satin less dangerous for the sound !! lol
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
give it time ...i found this also but in fact according to tracks /bus/songs one set up will work more than another ..and another in another scenario ...
Zo, love your videos bro. Informative and entertaining at the same time. Keep them coming.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
i confess oppressive is kinda hard , satin by the way is great !! i'm just , when it come to colors (of sound) , a man who don't want to mess around to get sound and to be able to switch from one sound to another super fast (from tape to tape , ect ...)....i might be wrong so excuses for that , but i felt that with Satin , tweaking was more on the menu than this one ...even if in the J37 we can tweak !!

i found maybe satin less dangerous for the sound !! lol
Jeezo, so which do you prefer the sound of. Because after all it comes down the sound. Satin, or the J37?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkalnasy View Post
The Waves J37 interface is a wretched example of useless skeuomorphism. So much wasted space. So much distraction. My first thought when I saw the interface was, "You've got to be kidding!" With the obnoxious licensing process, the arcane Waves file structure and the terrible interface, it would have to be a piece of magic before I bought something like this.

How I wish it were like Satin, in all those respects. In addition, it would be nice if it were $89, like Satin was at its release.

It will be $99 in 3 months and $49 next year
A.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkalnasy View Post

I beg to differ, I really like that GUI.

And considering that the sound you get is stunning, it's even better.

Taste...
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
Jeezo, so which do you prefer the sound of. Because after all it comes down the sound. Satin, or the J37?
i will try in depth this week end .....i you guyz have some material i can do another video with it if needed ....

i do think anyway that using REDD , RS , and this might be at the end too much ....
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post

It will be $99 in 3 months and $49 next year
A.
lol

at least i will wait until it's fully optimised ...i felt with SAtin and this one that work on code can be refined again ....
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol

at least i will wait until it's fully optimised ...i felt with SAtin and this one that work on code can be refined again ....
And how can you say that ?

Maybe if they sound that good it's because the algos need more power. And we all know u-he do their best to optimize their code.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Looks really interesting, but I think I'll wait for one of the sales. Few months and it will be something like half price probably.
Old 16th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash View Post
I beg to differ, I really like that GUI.

And considering that the sound you get is stunning, it's even better.

Taste...
Yep, I agree that in this case, skeuomorphism can actually be a useful tool, but it obviously depends on taste. For me, a UI that looks like the actual device tends to enhance creativity... puts you in a mood so to speak. But that's just me. On some gear, like an 1176 compressor for example, I think its pretty important that the UI looks like the real thing... allows someone to just walk up and start using it right away. Hey, if you don't like the UI, you can always just view the parameter list in your DAW, that way you don't have to even look at anything other than some gray sliders. I do this sometimes just to make sure the UI isn't fooling me into thinking something sounds good.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

What's really cool nowadays is that, with Slate vbc, U-he satin and now j37 we have now a plethora of tape machine to choose from add all the other type of emulations out there and you got something in your computer that would be completely impossible to encounter in any giving studio. Now, if they could only sell us a plugin that instantly give you 15 years of experience using all this gears, would be awesome
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

It sounds okay but I'll pass since it's not included in Mercury. I'm more into modern tape machines, as that's what I came up on. Was thinking waves would do a tape machine not from the 1960's again like the kramer.

Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
How is it running CPU wise... say compared to Satin or Kramer?
Old 16th October 2013
Wrong post
Old 16th October 2013
Deleted 19064ac
J35's reels do not spin on my Sonar (X1d). Every knob works, and but I'D LIKE TO SEE SOME GODDAMN SPINNING REELS! Why to buy it if those reels aren't spinning?!
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 19064ac View Post
J35's reels do not spin on my Sonar (X1d). Every knob works, and but I'D LIKE TO SEE SOME GODDAMN SPINNING REELS! Why to buy it if those reels aren't spinning?!
Deleted 19064ac - Stop your playhead immediately or you'll ruin the entire reel and have to completely re-align the machine. The tape is obviously caught in the capstan.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi Guyz ....

First Contact Video on the new Waves J37 plugin :

1) Part 1 : analysis

2) Part 2 : Tape on a Drum bus (with settings messing around)

3) Part 3 : Tape on each drum beat elements .

PS : Sorry for the beat , a NI maschine preset , i choose it harsh and basic to see if tape can help .....
Thanks for video it's really great. Btw i loved your drum beat. It really helps and i wish more people would do it like you did.

Thanks again. Very useful. I like what i hear. May i add and this is my imho that Waves seem to be kinda improved in modelling department. I really like some of their latest stuff. NLS and this is really Damn good. Didn't liked their previous tape though..
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsearcher View Post
J4R10 - Stop your playhead immediately or you'll ruin the entire reel and have to completely re-align the machine. The tape is obviously caught in the capstan.
LOL
Old 16th October 2013
Deleted 19064ac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsearcher View Post
J4R10 - Stop your playhead immediately or you'll ruin the entire reel and have to completely re-align the machine. The tape is obviously caught in the capstan.

Thank god it's not mine. I kinda borrowed it from Waves. I'll return it in 6 days. Damn reels... very disappointed... Flashy looks and the tape caught in a capstan makes J4R10 a dull boy.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4R10 View Post

Thank god it's not mine. I kinda borrowed it from Waves. I'll return it in 6 days. Damn reels... very disappointed... Flashy looks and the tape caught in a capstan makes J4R10 a dull boy.
Don't feel bad. I recently blew up a vintage Fairchild by leaving my computer on all night. Tried to get UAD to send me new tubes but they won't answer my emails.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search