The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves and Abbey Road Studios present the J37 tape saturation plugin
Old 15th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
To other users of this plug, I do like this plugin. Love the slap echo and I like the sound of the plug in general. What I don't like though is when using proper gain staging the volume level of any track you place it on takes a huge hit. What are you using, post J37, to get your gain levels back up to what they were at the input to this plugin. The same thing also happens on the Waves Puigtech series if EQs. Really knocks the volume level down. Thanks for your response.
Can you not use the output level wheel in this case?

I've not personally experienced this issue with the Puigtech EQs either..

RB
Old 15th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
From the people who brought you the "Sorry, we can't update our compressor plugins to 64-bit"....

Well, at least they're keeping busy.
Completely agree.

I bought a whole load of Abbey Road plugins, half of which are now digital scrap. No way I'm handing over more money. Slate Virtual Buss Compressors from hereon out
Old 15th November 2013
Lives for gear

Understand why you feel like that but they're not scrap: DDMF Metaplugin can wrap 32 bit VST/AU into AAX... and it's cheap.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Old 15th November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
Can you not use the output level wheel in this case?

I've not personally experienced this issue with the Puigtech EQs either..

RB

I do use the output wheel to bring up the level as far as I can, but I don't want to clip the output either so consequently there is a large reduction in volume running through this plugin. Hmm, you haven't had that problem with the Puigtech? I know I'm not using it incorrectly, and there is no input gain on the plug only output. Not sure why I should be noticing this then. Thanks for your response.
Old 15th November 2013
Motown legend

It's too bad developers don't simply include a range control for finding the sweet spot in analog emulations.
Old 15th November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
It's too bad developers don't simply include a range control for finding the sweet spot in analog emulations.
That's a great idea, you would think they would rather have users focus on the area where the meat is seasoned best.
Old 15th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I thought the waves "name" emulations have those - like the JJP, CLA, Maserati, etc. They have a light that lights from green to red with a knob and you can dial the threshold so that when it's mostly lighting yellow, you're hitting the plug in with the correct gain.

Regards,
Frank
Old 16th November 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
I do use the output wheel to bring up the level as far as I can, but I don't want to clip the output either so consequently there is a large reduction in volume running through this plugin. Hmm, you haven't had that problem with the Puigtech? I know I'm not using it incorrectly, and there is no input gain on the plug only output. Not sure why I should be noticing this then. Thanks for your response.
You are correct in that the output section of the plugin shouldn't be used to ramp gain after using the plugin. Just simply insert a Gain plugin after the emulation and use that to adjust levels, if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I thought the waves "name" emulations have those - like the JJP, CLA, Maserati, etc. They have a light that lights from green to red with a knob and you can dial the threshold so that when it's mostly lighting yellow, you're hitting the plug in with the correct gain.

Regards,
Frank
Those are totally different plugins that we are discussing. You are referring to the "signature" bundles - which are made to be used as you are referring (set the input and let the bundle do the work for you). The vintage emulation plugins are totally different. They don't have input "sweet spot indicators". You have to gain stage them properly - just as if they were hardware.
Old 27th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
Just demo-ed it. Not tempted to buying so far. It's good for getting crunch (some call it saturation) if you're looking for that. On 'normal' levels I didn't have the idea that it improved the recording. On the mix bus it didn't really add anything either, to my taste. I'd imagine a mix getting too mushy if you'd use this everywhere. I'm sure other folks will like it though.
I concur. Have tried it since it came out, but don't find it very useful--it usually just blurs the sound. I do like the REDD plugin though, which I've also been using since its release.
Old 1st December 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsearcher View Post
using tape in the past was a completely different experience to using a modern DAW. Sure, it had a different sound to it but that was a relatively small part of the reason that it sounds so different. Track limitation, making decisions, waiting for the reels to rewind or fast forward etc. There is something exciting and final about rolling tape and it even affected the mentality of the musicians doing the tracking.
Tape sims will never capture the experience of recording to tape but they do offer some wonderful creative options.
Completely agree.. The limitations forced us to be more creative.
Old 2nd December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodecathode View Post
Completely agree.. The limitations forced us to be more creative.
and to make decisions !!!
Old 6th December 2013
Lives for gear

I am a tape emu junky. I have them all I believe (Satin, Reelbus, VTM, Kramer Tape, CDSoundMaster's Nebula Libraries, etc x 100).

I must say that the J37 is by far the most realistic tape emu I've heard. Not only it is realistic but it's a heck of a lot of fun to play with. I'm glad I got it and now I'll try not to abuse it.
Old 7th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
I am a tape emu junky. I have them all I believe (Satin, Reelbus, VTM, Kramer Tape, CDSoundMaster's Nebula Libraries, etc x 100).

I must say that the J37 is by far the most realistic tape emu I've heard. Not only it is realistic but it's a heck of a lot of fun to play with. I'm glad I got it and now I'll try not to abuse it.
hum thats a very bold statement. good luck
Old 7th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

OT, but what's your opinion on Satin? I own most of the others.

I was considering picking it up over the Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales, but Urs wasn't playing that game.

J37 is my current fav for drums. Which I then bus compress the daylights out of. heh
Old 7th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalcide View Post

I was considering picking it up over the Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales, but Urs wasn't playing that game.
I can't swear to it, but I think I saw Urs post that once intro prices are over, U-he doesn't do 'sales'. And I can't remember ever seeing one.
Old 8th December 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:

J37 is my current fav for drums. Which I then bus compress the daylights out of. heh
I have a ways to go in learning it, but seems like you really need a handle on the controls of Satin to get it to mould.

Right now I think it is extremely good in very particular single instrument situations, for darkening or smoothening. Very natural sounding.

For busses I have found that it's losing a bit too much depth, maybe that is the byproduct I'm supposed to consider.... I think it can be amazing in a parallel route now that I think of it. Oh crap.
Old 8th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post

For busses I have found that it's losing a bit too much depth, maybe that is the byproduct I'm supposed to consider.... I think it can be amazing in a parallel route now that I think of it. Oh crap.
No, you are correct.

In every instance that I've used Satin on a buss (especially the two-buss) there is considerable loss in depth. I don't like that about the plugin; however, it responds very nicely on individual tracks/voices. The effect it gives on a mono track is very nice indeed.

For two-buss/buss processing, I much prefer Slate, Waves Kramer (for older sounding material, like early 70's folk or even Zeppelin-ish sounds), Waves J37, and UAD's Ampex (even though I sold UAD when I bought the Slate VTM). There are lots of tonal differences in these tools though, so your mileage may vary depending on the genre/feel of the music.

For single track work, I found Satin to be a great creative tool.
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
No, you are correct.

In every instance that I've used Satin on a buss (especially the two-buss) there is considerable loss in depth. I don't like that about the plugin; however, it responds very nicely on individual tracks/voices. The effect it gives on a mono track is very nice indeed.

For two-buss/buss processing, I much prefer Slate, Waves Kramer (for older sounding material, like early 70's folk or even Zeppelin-ish sounds), Waves J37, and UAD's Ampex (even though I sold UAD when I bought the Slate VTM). There are lots of tonal differences in these tools though, so your mileage may vary depending on the genre/feel of the music.

For single track work, I found Satin to be a great creative tool.
Depends on your settings... and mix
ymmv
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Depends on your settings... and mix
ymmv
Just engaging it does something to the depth, that is, if you had depth to begin with. I wanted to bring down the input and try to have a 'bit' of it, but tape does not work that way. You are printing the mix onto a piece of tape. It is a lost generation like it or not.

Sure there are certain tunes that do not use the same sort of natural depth and width, and I can get away with processing, but airy, lively dynamic songs...

Brings me to my nasty opinion on people that go on about how many things they got on their master buss. I'm thinking they must not have had any dynamic, depth or clarity to lose in the first place. Sure it sounds great!
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

For me, J37 all the way. Satin is nice for saturation but not so much for WOW and flutter. It has a lot of options and it's fun to play with. It sounds good. I just think what I record with the J37 sounds like it was recorded on real tape instead of just having tape saturation.
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
For me, J37 all the way. Satin is nice for saturation but not so much for WOW and flutter. It has a lot of options and it's fun to play with. It sounds good. I just think what I record with the J37 sounds like it was recorded on real tape instead of just having tape saturation.
Thanks, Jp (and Java, Smoke and Slammy).

Yeah, I feel the W/F is something special on J37.

I've been comparing the more extreme settings of the J37 and Satin (nice of U-he to provide a trial that doesn't expire).

I'm impressed that both can be coaxed to produce a very similar sound -- it lends credibility to each.

For my use on distorting a kick, I liked the J37 a bit more, but it was arbitrary and not necessarily an indication of "better."

I'm going to need to get Satin for its tape noise dial, alone. It's sublime and delicate, but could also be turned up for effects.
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear
Don't get me wrong, now.
I love Satin... I love Kramer Tape too (just use the signal path/no tape on ac piano and boost the input...laugh, profit.). Heck, I like Virsyn Tape at times.
Old 13th December 2013
Gear Guru

been trying the nomad factory Magnetic II and i must admit it's real funky !!!

at 19$ don't hesitate guyz !!

http://store.dontcrack.com/product_i...roducts_id=897
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post

Plug-ins / Magnetic II - DontCrack : Music & Audio Software Store

yeah, i got this too (to help support Bernie) and can't wait to try it. unfortunately, it installed, but isn't showing up in my DAWs. working with support on it.

from the vids it looks like it's got character.
Old 13th December 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:

Plug-ins / Magnetic II - DontCrack : Music & Audio Software Store
Been using it for a year and a half I think.
It's the diamond in the ruff.

JusSayin...

Marc
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post

JusSayin...

Marc
arghhh.... I am missing that one. Another $19 bites the dust
Old 13th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post

JusSayin...

Marc
And you don't tell me about it !! ahah i guess you wanted to keep that for you !!!
Old 14th December 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
arghhh.... I am missing that one. Another $19 bites the dust
Well worth it my friend.
I have to say, hit it soft, it don't need much and have it go into the limiter part.
I usually turn everything off, and start with the tape color and
then work my way to the left (Sat/High and so on.)
Last, I then turn on Boost and move the output ceiling to around -12/-8.
Then turn the Gain Boost up to get around 3 to 5db of compression.

Of course, you don't have to follow this and go hard on it for unselfish but thought I'd through some tips on using this bad boy.

By the way, like with all saturation/tape emu plugins, make sure you come into the plugin at least -12/-18db. Works for me.

Hope this helps,

Now back on topic...

Marc
Old 14th December 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
And you don't tell me about it !! ahah i guess you wanted to keep that for you !!!
Haha, No way, as much as we both share on this site.
No secrets here.
Another one is Analog Channel.

Try setting it like this...

Drive = 12
Curve = 7.1
Attack = either 0.1 or 1.0 for some transients
Release = 200

Mind you of course, setting the vol before hitting the plugin make the difference in this.
This start pushing up the input until you start getting the nice warm saturation that ya been seeking.
Does it for me on stuff I need it for.

Hope this help...

I know you know about this already.

Biggups J!!!

Marc
Old 14th December 2013
Gear Maniac

If you get the sound you want - to me - it doesn't matter how many plugs are on your master buss
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search