The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Lynx LT-TB Thunderbolt for Aurora, Hilo
Old 18th July 2014
Here for the gear

LT-USB vs LT-TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvarna View Post
Anyone have any comparison to make between the LT-TB and LT-USB? Seems LT-USB did not have a good audio quality.
Hey everyone I just swapped my lt-usb for the lt-tb card in my aurora 16.

I'm here to answer any questions about performance...

I haven't done extensive tests but I'll say a few things...

The performance difference is not night and day between the two cards. I'd be happy going back to USB; it was that good already.

Latency specs in ableton and logic are a little lower. I am going to run some sessions over the next couple days with a 64 buffer, instead of the 128 or 256 buffer I had w USB. I'll report how stable that is soon.

I am noticing that when live starts to chug and audio playback breaks up, the behavior is different than it was w USB. It breaks up in a different way. Neither here nor there, just an observation.
Old 24th July 2014
Here for the gear

Thinking about buying Aurora with TB

Hi, I am using a A&H Xone DB4 as my audio interface today (I am pretty happy but get some "crackles" and "pops"). I am thinking about buying Aurora 8 or 16 with TB. I like to mix and mute stuff live when finishing my tracks and need 32-64 in buffer size, rock solid, very good audio quality. I also need the drivers to be something A&H call "Bit Accurate"... In Logic i can bounce and record stuff without latency and issues like that.
I am using a Macbook Air 11" 1.3ghz, 4GB RAM, and an Elektron Rytm drum machine.

Can this interface be something for me?

THANKS!!

/Magnus from sweden
Old 17th August 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Someone really needs to do the DAW Bench test for LT-USB vs LT-TB

DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking
Old 12th September 2014
Gear Maniac

comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Someone really needs to do the DAW Bench test for LT-USB vs LT-TB
Interested to know outcomes!
Old 18th September 2014
Gear Maniac

latency tests

.. anybody?
(~;
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvLoutonian View Post
.. anybody?
(~;
I'll second this request. Would love to see some numbers on this.
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Nut

Hello,

Easy question to answer. As you know latency is the result of several variables, the interface being just one of them, so actual numbers are artificial and arbitrary at best without a lot of qualifiers.

That being said, in general the latency with Thunderbolt and the LT-TB will be about 1/2 that of USB and the LT-USB card.

The LT-TB latency will be identical to that of the AES16e PCI Express card. The LT-HD for Pro Tools rigs will also be in this very fast range. USB and Firewire will have much higher latency. FireWire over Thunderbolt will most likely have Firewire latency at best.

Hope this helps,

Phil at Lynx
Old 6th January 2015
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoon View Post
Hello,

Easy question to answer. As you know latency is the result of several variables, the interface being just one of them, so actual numbers are artificial and arbitrary at best without a lot of qualifiers.

That being said, in general the latency with Thunderbolt and the LT-TB will be about 1/2 that of USB and the LT-USB card.

The LT-TB latency will be identical to that of the AES16e PCI Express card. The LT-HD for Pro Tools rigs will also be in this very fast range. USB and Firewire will have much higher latency. FireWire over Thunderbolt will most likely have Firewire latency at best.

Hope this helps,

Phil at Lynx
Phil, can you share any comments about using the TB card on windows systems? Have you guys tested it on any of the X99 motherboards?
Old 7th January 2015
Gear Nut

We have tested and used the LT-TB on a number of Asus boards with no problems. The last one that we have here is X97. X99 should not be that much different on the Thunderbolt side, but we have not specifically tested it.

We also use windows laptops from HP and Lenovo with no issues at all. We are very, very happy and pleased with the performance and stability of Thunderbolt in general.

Phil at Lynx
Old 7th January 2015
Gear Nut

The next major bump for thunderbolt will be the 2nd half of 2015 with the Intel Skylake Platform, the 100 series motherboard, and its new alpine ridge thunderbolt chipset.

With the X99 they allowed the AICs to hang off the CPU's PCIe lanes vs the PCH. With the 100 series the AICs will hang off the CPU's PCIe lanes. It's even faster at 40Gbps and supports PCIe 3.0.
Old 8th January 2015
Gear Maniac

I currently have 2 Hilos, one with LT-USB and one with LT-TB. Probably will have both for the next week or two after which I'll be back to just one.

Might have time to run some tests.

I've been disappointed with the buffer settings I'm able to get. I had hoped the TB would be significantly lower than USB and I'm finding it's typically only half (aka one setting lower) before I get breakups and buffer problems. Definitely unable to run at 32 or 64 for pretty much any projects.

I know however that buffer settings are only part of the latency story.
Old 9th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by btfnk View Post
I've been disappointed with the buffer settings I'm able to get. I had hoped the TB would be significantly lower than USB and I'm finding it's typically only half (aka one setting lower) before I get breakups and buffer problems. Definitely unable to run at 32 or 64 for pretty much any projects.

I know however that buffer settings are only part of the latency story.

I hope that's a fluke, but I have heard that story from a few people running usb. As my primary use is for instruments/tracking and VSTi that does not meed my criteria.
Old 9th January 2015
Gear Maniac

I'm on a MacbookPro9,1 it's the mid-2012 ivy bridge quad i7 2.6ghz.

So far only tested at 44.1k in Ableton 9 and Cubase 7.

I can test in other daws if you're interested as I kinda have a smorgasbord of them (ableton 8 and 9, logic 9 and X, cubase 7, pt 10 and 11 installed currently).
Old 4th April 2015
Gear Head

tb vs aes16e

hi everyone!

sorry if this is a silly question.

but what is the difference between the tb and aes16e in terms of performance?

i.e., if i am building a system from scratch, what (if any) are the advantages to having the aes16e over the tb (with an aurora 16)?

i do quite extensive mixing.

as such, would there be a difference here in terms of in asio/virtual instrument performance/plugs/midi?

i am just not quite understanding why anyone would spend hundreds of more dollars for the card.

any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

by the way, my new motherboard has a thunderbolt interface--so that wouldn't be an issue.

thanks in advance,

star
Old 6th April 2015
Gear Nut

Phil at Lynx here

Pretty similar performance. Thunderbolt is essentially PCI Express with a different delivery system. Thunderbolt gives you the opportunity to daisy-chain up to six devices and PCI Express gives you more computers that it will work with (so far). They have similar mixing software aps and the difference is very small. Your overall preference would dictate which way to go.
Old 3rd July 2015
Here for the gear
Probably a silly question...

Are the 6 TB Devices only Aurora or Hilo meaning can I have a Hilo and daisy chain to an Aurora 16 to get 28/32 I/O 16x16 plus 12 x 16?
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

Any tb device...includung say a motu 16A.
Old 6th July 2015
Here for the gear
thanks GPI...

I might get the new focus rite Clarett 8pre then as they boast of having the lowest latency in tb
Old 26th August 2015
Gear Nut

Phil at Lynx here

Check out our new Beta Firmware/Driver at Beta version of firmware and driver available - Lynx Support Forum

Latency less than one millisecond Round Trip. Good stuff. Test the beta and let us know your experience.

Thanks
Old 26th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Phil at Lynx here

Check out our new Beta Firmware/Driver at Beta version of firmware and driver available - Lynx Support Forum

Latency less than one millisecond Round Trip. Good stuff. Test the beta and let us know your experience.

Thanks
great job! I am totally impressed again.
Old 14th April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
More than happy to answer yout questions if I can? What are they? You can also always just give us a call here and we can help you directly.

And as to the Windows motherboards with Thunderbolt, a lot more should be on the way. This is a priority for Intel, so you should be seeing them

Thanks,

Phil at Lynx
hey phil my lynx aurora was working great ,then all of a sudden my lt-tb card light is solid green and int since source is on and ext flashing any clues ? , thank you
Old 14th April 2016
Gear Maniac

? naming channels in Lynx LT-TB mixer

Is there a way to name the channels in the Lynx thunderbolt mixer?
Old 14th April 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedsall View Post
hey phil my lynx aurora was working great ,then all of a sudden my lt-tb card light is solid green and int since source is on and ext flashing any clues ? , thank you
That means that External was selected but no valid wordclock signal is present. To resolve that, go into the Lynx Mixer and set the Preferred Clock Source to "Internal". Exit the mixer and power cycle the Aurora to save that state.
Old 14th April 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvLoutonian View Post
Is there a way to name the channels in the Lynx thunderbolt mixer?
I'm afraid not. There is not a clean way to change device names within the OS as the names have to be provided at install time. Naming the channels in the DAW is about thew closest you could get.
Old 14th May 2017
SEA
Lives for gear

Now that TB been out for a bit, I was wondering who's using the Hilo with TB and if so how's the latency compared to USB in a real world situation.

Also, how's the software? Has their been any updates in both TB and USB? And, what about side-by-side comparisons? I'm interested to hear end users experiences in which is more stable, which one one is faster etc.

Thanks!
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Maniac

AES16e + LT-TB combine in Lynx mixer software?

Quote:
Phil at Lynx here

New mixer for AES16e and Aurora Thunderbolt is coming along quite nicely. Won't make everyone happy (never happens) but it's really quite nice. No firm release date, but will keep you posted.

Also we still intend on doing a very accurate latency measurement on the Aurora TB. An early initial test showed a latency as low as 1.5 ms (as measured by Logic) at 192 kHz. Very early result. We'll be doing some exact measurements with our Audio Precision unit in the next few weeks, at various sample rates and buffer sizes. It's pretty fast.

More details as they become available. We have sent a lot of LT-TB information to our retailers and distributors over the last two weeks - they should have a lot od details and answers for you.

Phil at Lynx
Hi Phil..

I'm having trouble finding the answer to this question .. .

Can i use the AES16e / LT-TB mixer software, with a combination of these types of units installed?

ie. one Aurora 16 with LT-TB installed, and also an AES16e card installed (in an external thunderbolt chassis) with an additional Aurora 8 or 16 connected to the AES16e card?

Or is the proper combination of Aurora racks only really possible (or fully functional) with say LT-TB interface in each rack?

(or only via AES16e cards on one system)

Thanks!
Evan
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search