The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Lynx LT-TB Thunderbolt for Aurora, Hilo
Old 16th December 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveE9C6 View Post
Phil, or anyone else at Lynx. Please answer our requests and questions about the Hilo Remote.
More than happy to answer yout questions if I can? What are they? You can also always just give us a call here and we can help you directly.

And as to the Windows motherboards with Thunderbolt, a lot more should be on the way. This is a priority for Intel, so you should be seeing them

Thanks,

Phil at Lynx
Old 19th December 2013
Lives for gear

you all are awesome - my mac is getting long in the tooth, and it's great to know my aurora can be fully up to speed with its replacement (if I ever get one). I was kind of stressing on that before, but I was pretty sure you all would come through with this.
Old 15th January 2014
Trp
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoon View Post
More than happy to answer your questions if I can? What are they?
Can you say something about the availability / shipping date of the single LT-TB? Shops don´t seem to know, yet. Thanks.
Old 15th January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trp View Post
Can you say something about the availability / shipping date of the single LT-TB? Shops don´t seem to know, yet. Thanks.
Very, very close.

As soon as we have the firm release date, we will announce it first to dealers and distributors, letting them know when to expect their orders. The shops do not know because we have not given them this crucial info. Once I know the initial ship date, we will announce it. Loudly and often.

We realize it can be frustrating to wait for a new, hot product. We are anxious to get this out as well. Thunderbolt is a great format for multichannel audio and we can't wait to get it in your hands.

And keep in mind, the only think worse than shipping too late, is shipping too early.

Okay, enough marketing-speak for today. We are very, very close.

Thanks for your patience,

Phil at Lynx

Last edited by pmoon; 15th January 2014 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 16th January 2014
Trp
Gear Addict

Quote:
Very, very close.

As soon as we have the firm release date, we will announce it first to dealers and distributors, letting them know when to expect their orders. The shops do not know because we have not given them this crucial info. Once I know the initial ship date, we will announce it. Loudly and often.

We realize it can be frustrating to wait for a new, hot product. We are anxious to get this out as well. Thunderbolt is a great format for multichannel audio and we can't wait to get it in your hands.

And keep in mind, the only think worse than shipping too late, is shipping too early.

Okay, enough marketing-speak for today. We are very, very close.

Phil at Lynx
To be honest: if I had known that the release date would change from Nov to Dec to Jan to... I would have taken another route than keeping the Aurora and waiting for this card. Because work had to be done. So yes, it is frustrating.
Old 16th January 2014
Quote:
To be honest: if I had known that the release date would change from Nov to Dec to Jan to... I would have taken another route than keeping the Aurora and waiting for this card. Because work had to be done. So yes, it is frustrating.
Certainly you can still get your work done now though, right? I mean the Auroras have been setting performance standards just like RME for a long time. Even over FireWire it is one of the most stable and highest performing platforms.

Not that thunderbolt won't bring some welcome advantages but I can't imagine having an existing setup and that getting in the way of work.

@Phil. Would you guys consider sending over an NFR thunderbolt card for review and testing on gearautopsy.com?
Old 16th January 2014
Trp
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Certainly you can still get your work done now though, right?
Yes, I have rented a different solution for the time being to get work done professionally. Generating costs.

Quote:
I mean the Auroras have been setting performance standards just like RME for a long time. Even over FireWire it is one of the most stable and highest performing platforms.

Not that thunderbolt won't bring some welcome advantages but I can't imagine having an existing setup and that getting in the way of work.
Yes, there seems a lot you can´t imagine. So please refrain from stating random opinions that have nothing to do with my post or the topic of this thread.
Old 17th January 2014
Here for the gear

Lt-tb hd?

I'm wondering how this will interact with ProTools HD. Obviously no problem with Regular ProTools but it would be nice to know how ProTools HD might(or might not) work with this. Not that this is a deal breaker. No way I'm not getting this. But maybe down the road?
Old 19th January 2014
Quote:
Yes, I have rented a different solution for the time being to get work done professionally. Generating costs.

Yes, there seems a lot you can´t imagine. So please refrain from stating random opinions that have nothing to do with my post or the topic of this thread.
Why not give an example of how the Aurora is failing you now? How do you think the Thunderbolt upgrade will solve it? Vague notions that you can't get the job done until the expansion comes out don;t really tell anybody anything. Clarify. It might help other people decide if the thunderbolt expansion is good for them too.

And don't get so defensive. It's a discussion group.
Old 19th January 2014
Trp
Gear Addict

Quote:
Why not give an example of how the Aurora is failing you now? How do you think the Thunderbolt upgrade will solve it? Vague notions that you can't get the job done until the expansion comes out don;t really tell anybody anything. Clarify. It might help other people decide if the thunderbolt expansion is good for them too.
Ok, although it feels like stating the obvious: connectivity. A Mac Pro died on me which I had to replace with an iMac. Which also meant I had to replace the RME PCIe AES card for obvious reasons. And I don´t want to go the Expansion Chassis route permanently. USB also is no option because I want really low latency at higher track counts. Which PCIe and Thunderbolt can deliver.

Quote:
And don't get so defensive. It's a discussion group.
Not being defensive, just annoyed. I am all up for solution and topic focused discussion. But here you just seemed to enjoy killing time at Gearslutz. I clearly made a remark on announced vs. real world timing of the product release, aimed at the representative of this company. I didn´t question the quality of their product. Nothing you said had anything to do with that.

Sorry, maybe I was being rude but to me your comments represent an annoying aspect of Gearslutz to me nowadays. Sometime it feels so much more like a small talk group than a (focused) discussion group.
Old 6th February 2014
Trp
Gear Addict

Quote:
We are very, very close.

Phil at Lynx

Hi Phil,

any word on the final release date, yet?
Old 13th February 2014
Here for the gear

Yay, now available!
Wonder how long it will take to arrive on Australian shores?heh
Old 13th February 2014
Gear Nut

Lynx Thunderbolt now available

Phil at Lynx here

The Aurora TB models and LTTB LSlot card are now available.

Many of our US retailers now have these in stock, so check with them for availability information. If you have one on order, you should have in the next weeks or so.

Hilo TB will be delayed a couple of weeks so we can wrap up FW6 for Hilo. Note - if you are a current Hilo owner, you can still install the LT-TB to replace the LT-USB. It will work fine, but it will still say USB, until FW6.

We have been testing the crap out of the LTTB in Auroras and Hilos on Mac and Windows. We are very happy with the results and think you'll have a good experience. Very stable, very low latency and the new Lynx Mixer makes a huge difference in the set up and operation.

I took it for a spin a couple of weeks ago. I am not a power user by any means, (average at best) so I was a good test. Grabbed the new HP laptop with Thunderbolt. Swapped the LT-USB for LT-TB in Aurora 16. New firmware, loaded drivers, no problem. Did a demo session with about 10 channels in Reaper. Seamless. Effects were fast, no detectable (to me) latency. Overall very easy. The best way to describe it was that it felt SOLID. Absolutely no issues. I had our tech guru Paul on call and never needed to check in with him. The manual answered all of my questions.

The manual is on the website, if you want to take a look at it. Also the new Lynx Mixer for Aurora TB and AES16e cards is also available.

From a practical standpoint, Thunderbolt has the potential to be the dominant interface for years to come. Even with 6 Auroras and 192 channels on one TB port, we're only using 12% of the bandwidth. It's stable, hot-swappable, fast and backed up by Intel and Apple. It's got some legs to it. It's hard to see a downside.

As to Australia? They hit Victoria on Monday.

Thanks.

Phil at Lynx
Old 20th February 2014
Here for the gear

Just unpacked my Lynx aurora 16 TB today. Supposedly I have one of the first ones made available by the great team over at ProAudioLA. Waiting on a couple cables to connect it but looking forward to giving a full review of it's performance. This is my first post to Gearslutz but felt obliged to contribute since I used this forum extensively in the past to make better informed decisions. More to come….
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks for the notice. And thanks for getting the Aurora 16TB. We look forward to your feedback. No matter how much you test, retest and then test some more internally, there are usually a few things that pop up once a new product hits the street and "real world" usage.

So keep us informed.

Important tip - we do not monitor Gearslutz with any regularity and this is certainly not the place for customer support. Just let us know directly here at Lynx your experience, good and bad, and we'll respond straightaway. Feel free to email me directly at [email protected].

Thanks.

Phil at Lynx
Old 21st February 2014
Here for the gear

I installed mine today, it all went flawlessly, great performance on initial tests
16 inputs @ 96k 64 samples no noticeable latency monitoring through Live on a MBP 2.7ghz. From memory it was less than 5ms roundtrip.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

Anyone have any comparison to make between the LT-TB and LT-USB? Seems LT-USB did not have a good audio quality.
Old 7th March 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvarna View Post
Anyone have any comparison to make between the LT-TB and LT-USB? Seems LT-USB did not have a good audio quality.
LOL. Serious and very confused? Or just trolling?
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
LOL. Serious and very confused? Or just trolling?
Such us Audiophilleo should be much better than LT-USB.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Hey -

Is there any data yet for stability in ProTools at 96k/64 and 44.1/32 for either the Aurora 8 or 16 with TB connection? How about Round Trip Latency numbers at these two points?
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

ASUS ThunderboltEX II Expansion Card

Quote:
So keep us informed.
Any chance Paul & the Lynx crew can run some tests w/ Asus' (one of two now available) TB2 add on card for their z87 chipset motherboards? Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More!

My motherboard is limited to 10GB but other supported Asus z87 motherboards can take full advantage of the 20GB TB II has to offer.

This would be greatly appreciated if testing can be taken into consideration, especially for us pc guys.
Old 24th April 2014
Gear Nut

As far as I know the Asus boards are all Intel/Apple approved so there should be no problem. We do not have that board in house.

the bottom line is that for audio you will never, ever need the Thunderbolt 2 option.

Thunderbolt 1 offers two 10 gigabit per second data streams. One for data and one for monitor (geared for the 4x video). Thunderbolt two merely combines the two streams into one.

Here's the math on the 10 gbps stream. If you maxed out the Thunderbolt protocol with 6 Aurora 16s, you could have 96 analog I/O channels plus 96 digital I/O channels - that is 192 total channels at sample rates up to 192 kHz. Even with all of this you are still only using 12% of the bandwidth. So the chances of needing twice this for an audio application is very unlikely.

The LT-TB card is completely compatible with Thunderbolt 2.

Hope this helps.

Phil at Lynx
Old 5th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
It really sucks that there are no TB motherboards for 6 core pc's. Wtf is the deal there?
The replacement CPU will be out in Q3/4 and it will utilize the X99 chipset and DDR4 memory, and it will also be 8 core! So maybe it's worth waiting a while?
Old 11th May 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
As far as I know the Asus boards are all Intel/Apple approved so there should be no problem. We do not have that board in house.

the bottom line is that for audio you will never, ever need the Thunderbolt 2 option.

Thunderbolt 1 offers two 10 gigabit per second data streams. One for data and one for monitor (geared for the 4x video). Thunderbolt two merely combines the two streams into one.

Here's the math on the 10 gbps stream. If you maxed out the Thunderbolt protocol with 6 Aurora 16s, you could have 96 analog I/O channels plus 96 digital I/O channels - that is 192 total channels at sample rates up to 192 kHz. Even with all of this you are still only using 12% of the bandwidth. So the chances of needing twice this for an audio application is very unlikely.

The LT-TB card is completely compatible with Thunderbolt 2.

Hope this helps.

Phil at Lynx

I just finished a computer build using the ASUS Z87 Expert motherboard. It works perfect with 2 of the Aurora 16 LT-TB. No problems at all and very easy to setup.
Jeff
Old 12th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
As far as I know the Asus boards are all Intel/Apple approved so there should be no problem.
Got my LT-TB today and installed into my Aurora 8. Using the Asus ThunderboltEX II card on Asus z87 Plus motherboard on Win7 64bit.

It works!!!!!
Old 18th May 2014
Successfully installed LT-TB on my Aurora 16! (used to have LT-HD to PTHD) Now I'm doing 96kHz onto PT10 - 16track drum recording and computer is not even blinking, my imagination is running wild with excitement! I'm wanting to track acoustic jazz at 192kHz - that will be the next test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXF1PnYf7Pc
Old 18th May 2014
Whoa, just want to report that I was able to record at 192k with 128 buffer size, my computer (macmini server i7 7200rpm 8gram) handled it! 6 minutes straight recording 16 analog tracks no sweat. 192kHz is so beautiful!

Hats off the guys at Lynx, this LT-TB option is great, it gives my investment in Aurora16 possibly another 5 year run at the least.
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

Hi,

I am about to pull the trigger on Hilo TB and want to ask what RTL is @ 44.1, 32 samples. I've searched but could not find much info.

thanks.
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

Last edited by h4nc0; 12th July 2014 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Saw the video for the new mixer interface with the TB ! looks really good , I am considering getting the TB card just for the new lynx mixer - great job !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search