The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
BlowFly v1.01
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head

Software BlowFly v1.01

Have recently been looking into some of the work of Iannis Xenakis, in particular his dynamic stochastic synth ‘GENDYN’ and the soundscape pieces he produced with it, such as s.709.

Got inspired to implement my own interpretation of the technique, and have just released BlowFly – and as with all my apps - it’s free.

Could equally have called it ‘merlin engine’, ‘circular saw’, ‘lawnmower’, ‘shredder’....and although it can be ‘tamed’ into a spluttering, whimpering or whimsically meandering little sound maker, ‘unpredictable’ is definitely the buzzword here (no pun intended), and ultimately, it still winds up making the short-list for an anger-management boot-camp

Unlike the ‘movement of breakpoints’ based dynamic stochastic synthesis that Xenakis implemented with ‘GENDYN’, Blowfly uses a Bezier curve to represent a single cycle of the waveform, and various user settings controlling things like probability distributions (acting on the curve control points) and barriers behaviour, in turn determine the range of shapes and length each cycle can take, from one cycle to the next, thereby changing the amplitude, pitch and harmonic content of the sound as it plays along. It is midi-controllable (to the extent that it can be controlled, anyway ).

Download, demo video, sound samples, here:
BlowFly - FlexibeatzII
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Great stuff!!! The youtube description is particularily funny yet very informative. Awsome.
Old 14th October 2013
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrojunky View Post
Got inspired to implement my own interpretation of the technique, and have just released BlowFly – and as with all my apps - it’s free.

Could equally have called it ‘merlin engine’, ‘circular saw’, ‘lawnmower’, ‘shredder’....and although it can be ‘tamed’ into a spluttering, whimpering or whimsically meandering little sound maker, ‘unpredictable’ is definitely the buzzword here (no pun intended), and ultimately, it still winds up making the short-list for an anger-management boot-camp
I love this though I can't run it, being a Mac guy. But it fills me with delight. It's just like great circuit bending, but purely algorithmic! I've caused hardware to make these sounds on purpose and been well pleased. Good job!
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
It's just like great circuit bending, but purely algorithmic!
Hadn't thought of it as 'algorithmic circuit bending' myself, but that's a neat and pretty fitting description
Old 18th October 2013
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrojunky View Post
Hadn't thought of it as 'algorithmic circuit bending' myself, but that's a neat and pretty fitting description
I particularly like the way you're using Bezier curves to make waves. It's perfect for the technique and gives really interesting tonalities
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search