The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Roger Mayer AMP+ Series Analogue Direct
Old 21st May 2015
Gear Addict

I'm reading this older thread and I'd just like to respond because I am interested in these boxes.

I bought the Voodoo Vibe. That is an awesome unit. Roger's stuff is properly made. For example you won't get all the noise and powering issues you get with other pedals and hence need isolated power supplies. The pedals are very well made. I have no doubt that the ones discussed here are too even if people don't like the looks.

Next I bought a Voodoo Blues. Initially I didn't like it. I do play blues quite often but I wasn't so much after a pedal that altered the tonal range of my guitar. This one does so I was kind of off put and was going to return it. Then I tried the pedal through a Fender Twin with a Les type guitar (Heritage H150). The sound was blues solo bliss. The pedal was not even exactly what I was looking for but I am keeping it anyway.

As for these boxes here. These attempt to emulate the way a valve amp responds but they don't emulate a cabinet. I've been experimenting with my Twin by taking line outs etc with speakers power soaked. It sounds quite similar to the demos I've heard of these pedals here, although at the end of the day, nothing will beat real valves. When done this way, my Twin punches with incredible dynamics. Every nuance shows up. Fret buzz etc. and it can sound very brutal. If you want to soften the sound, you need to add speaker and cabinet emulation or run them through something else. I get decent results by running the output from my Twin through a Russian Pulteq clone. I do the same to tame down a Thermionics Culture Vulture. Raw valve distortion is quite harsh sounding but it is full of valve character with overtones, compression etc depending on the design of the amp. You need to soften that afterwards which speakers do. I'm guessing these boxes need the same thing.

My opinion is that the whole mass boutique ultra cost pedal market is a bunch of BS with vastly overpriced products. Roger Mayer's pedals are expensive as well but it seems these are properly made so the cost has validity.

Last edited by efflux; 21st May 2015 at 03:42 PM..
Old 21st May 2015
Gear Addict

Does anyone know if there are any examples of these boxes being used to create slightly more overdriven sounds?

I currently have GAS for the super 57 because turning my Twin on to get a line out or maybe a source out from the speaker out isn't exactly very practical. Mine is the 135 watt Twin as well so absolutely unusable in a domestic situation without the speakers being completely soaked. I do have some nice valve gear to treat the sound afterwards so this box could be perfect.

As I mentioned, I have the Voodoo Blues but this is only usable on particular material. Not good where I want a full spectrum of my guitar tone. I'm also not happy with other stomp boxes but I'm completely happy with both Mayer boxes.
Old 21st May 2015
Gear Addict

The Wah is clearly awesome as well and no pots to constantly wear out which is a huge failing of the wah. It never ceases to amaze me that these old flawed designs aren't updated:

I've got a Fulltone one which was the only acceptable one out of all the others.

Last edited by efflux; 21st May 2015 at 04:44 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search