FXpansion BFD3 Now Available - Page 6 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FXpansion BFD3 Now Available
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by john emrich View Post
Which is it? Do you even have it?

The lower velocity count was because they went with a custom version Eco and they are some of the longest samples produced.

John
Which is what? No I don't have it but I've played with it over a friends who has most of the BFD stuff. I didn't have much time with it but that's the one thing that was bothering me with the machine gunning on the samples and wasn't familiar with BFD to work around that. Love the sound of the cymbals though.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
Can't find a list of the seven new kits' names on the website...
Old 20th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Logan View Post
Can't find a list of the seven new kits' names on the website...
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...1&d=1382226455

As far as I know these are the kits. I don't know specific dimensions though.
Attached Thumbnails
FXpansion BFD3 Now Available-screen-shot-2013-10-19-6.44.57-pm.jpg  
Old 20th October 2013
You can download the manual from the product page. I think it lists all the kits in detail.
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoodler View Post
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...1&d=1382226455

As far as I know these are the kits. I don't know specific dimensions though.
Is it 7 kits? One kit uses 3 different brushes and they seem to be calling each a different kit though I don't see it that way.
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Is it 7 kits? One kit uses 3 different brushes and they seem to be calling each a different kit though I don't see it that way.
Yeah, 3 of the kits are the same, as far as I understand. The Mapleworks was recorded with mallets, sticks and brushes.
Old 21st October 2013
Jus
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Yeah me neither (even if it is sticks, mallets, brushes). I do believe most of us regard that as an unnecessary marketing trick.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Nut

Hi,

I guess this is perhaps a matter of opinion... the brush and mallet kits are an entirely different set of samples. Even though they use the same kit, they give you sounds for entirely different musical situations which wouldn't be covered by sticks. Covering brushes and mallets in the factory library was something we wanted to do due to feedback from previous versions of BFD. We definitely are not trying to mislead people on this - the specifics are stated very clearly in the product description (2nd para) :

FXpansion - BFD3
Old 26th October 2013
Here for the gear

I scanned the posts in this thread, read most of the first page.

Wow! Over half of the members here are _jaded_!! Suspicious, critical, dismissive, condescending.

What gives? Has Fxpansion tricked you in the past, and extorted your money??

I have most of the prominent acoustic drum plugins. They each of them have strong points and weak points. None are perfect; most are worth owning (depending on your needs & purposes).

If I could take my favorite aspects of each plug and combine them, I'd be in heaven. But this is the real world; and each development team has its own priorities and special vision -- and limitations.

If you want some drums that were well and truly whacked, try Addictive Drums.
If you want decent sounds that come pretty much ready to mix, try Toontrack.
If you want a jack of all trades to play along with (including latin percussion) at a bargain price, try Kitcore.

But if you want the kitchen sink, and huge, massive, uber-ability to manipulate to your taste, BFD 3 is your candidate. The groove engine and ability to change swing and feel and edit within the plugin is unique and excellent.
And no, I haven't musically loved all their samples; but I've always managed to find & edit what I need.

We're frickin' lucky to have this abundance of choice. As a practicing bass player, I love all these plugs!

Last edited by pbasswil; 26th October 2013 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: added point; grammar
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
I dropped 3 in the midst of a metal mix I was about to start. I had it all worked out in 2 already, but though it would be fun. I used all samples out of BFD 3, and mixed all of it in BFD 3. Just the stereo out of the instrument track into PT. I am doing some quick navigating around the GUI as well since not many that dont own it have seen it. It is SO fast and smooth to work in compared to 2!

Fxpansion.com :: View topic - Created a quick navigation video-demo
Created another quick audio/video demo. here is the link to the Fxpansion forum with the info. Used more of an indie pop style song.
Old 4th December 2013
Lives for gear

Okay, I've been using BFD 3 upgrade for 3 weeks now. Gotta say that I am totally digging this plug! They have really done some amazing refinements, for ease of use. The drum kits sound most excellent outta the box---- with very little editing needed. Tons of effect editing and routing possibilities. It's one damn deep drum module. Still using my Slate drums, but not nearly as much. This old Canuck is luuuuuuving it!
Attached Thumbnails
FXpansion BFD3 Now Available-img_1457.jpg  
Old 7th December 2013
Lives for gear

Had BFD 2 but sold it when i got SD and its libraries.

i just bought a Roland TD15KV touring set and i am thinking about getting BFD 3 and checking it out

how is it still for everyone? i like the sample sounds i hear

one thing, how many grooves are we talking? even though i will play the sounds eventually i would like a lot of grooves to just drag and drop and build songs with

do they come in parts like intro, verse, chorus, bridge etc, i know you can mix and match and naming isn't important but you get what i am asking

thanks
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Nut

demo now available

We're pleased to announce that the BFD3 demo version is now available. Apologies for the wait!

Demo links can be found on the product page

Demo restrictions are explained in the FAQ
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

sorry if this is a dumb question but i have decided to buy BFD 3 this week

i also have Groove3 training and was watching the new BFD3 videos

here is what i want to be able to do

1) build songs quickly with the included midi loops, are there enough of them in different kits, sounds, genre's to do this for alot of different types of songs and are they split up in loops for parts of songs? choruses, intro's, verses etc? i couldnt find any info on how many pre canned loops are included and on what kits, genre's etc. is this info anywhere?

2) if a pre done loop isnt exactly right is it easy to modify it in bfd on a keyboard or a roland V drum kit? or in cubase?

3) does BFD3 work well with a new roland TD15kv v drum kit and ho is that setup? is there a how to section somewhere on this?

4) it looked like they were building the song in BFD3, but what if i want to drag the loops into cubase to work on? is it easy to do this ?

groove 3 training is pretty good but i would love to see a video or howto on setting up with v drums and how to actually build a song combining loops that come with the program and then modifying them on the V drum kit or on a keyboard

sorry, totally new to this midi drumming.

thanks for any help
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
sorry if this is a dumb question but i have decided to buy BFD 3 this week

i also have Groove3 training and was watching the new BFD3 videos

here is what i want to be able to do

1) build songs quickly with the included midi loops, are there enough of them in different kits, sounds, genre's to do this for alot of different types of songs and are they split up in loops for parts of songs? choruses, intro's, verses etc? i couldnt find any info on how many pre canned loops are included and on what kits, genre's etc. is this info anywhere?

2) if a pre done loop isnt exactly right is it easy to modify it in bfd on a keyboard or a roland V drum kit? or in cubase?

3) does BFD3 work well with a new roland TD15kv v drum kit and ho is that setup? is there a how to section somewhere on this?

4) it looked like they were building the song in BFD3, but what if i want to drag the loops into cubase to work on? is it easy to do this ?

groove 3 training is pretty good but i would love to see a video or howto on setting up with v drums and how to actually build a song combining loops that come with the program and then modifying them on the V drum kit or on a keyboard

sorry, totally new to this midi drumming.

thanks for any help
1) It comes with a variety of grooves to choose from. Cannot give exacts as I have TONS of others. They are also very easy to purchase through Groove Monkey for instance or even Platinum Samples have some to choose from and any Expansions you buy from Platinum Samples will have a bunch of grooves with them. When you open a groove, the different parts and variations of the groove are easily visible in a column on the left along with the trigger note.

2) The main window has a "Groove Editor" view where they are very easy to modify.

3) I have used every version of BFD now with multiple different Roland kits without any issues. It does ship with a keymap for a TD-15. It is amazingly simple to use the "learn" function and change or add pads. I use a program called "V-Control Pro" on my Ipad with Pro Tools, and dont even have to get up from the kit to do any custom key mapping. I do it right from the Ipad.

4) Cannot comment on Cubase. I mainly Use Pro Tools.

I am going to gues a lot of things will come quite naturally as you start working with it. Personally, I do most of my midi inside of PT and use BFD as a "trigger" most of the time.
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

hey

thanks so much for the help

looks like midi loops and drumming is the way to go.

so with something like groove monkee, do you just buy the loops, store them in a folder and somehow point BFD3 to that folder? do they then load into the program?

and

i am still not sure how you build a song. i watched some more videos and they have the song in BFD3 but i thought you would pull the loop grooves into a cubase midi track and work there?

i also am unsure how if i wanted to add a measure of my own playing how would you insert a measure of that? not a groove but say measure 3 i wanted to play a fill and measure 2 and 4 though were just grooves from BFD 3

how do you play that measure in between?

ack, i must be over thinking this, seems pretty complicated to set all up and do but once you "get it" its very powerful to really nail what you want for your songs
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

well bought it! in the process of the BIG download!

cant wait to try it out!
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Addict

What's the demo limitation??
Drag and drop disabled?
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Addict

What's the demo limitation??
Drag and drop disabled?
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

i have been downloading for a day and half, i have a fast internet connection 10 meg download

its still going but SOOOOOOO slowly

i have downloaded stuff this size before and never has it taken this long

its not my internet provider

i am afraid to stop it and start it again, i guess i just let it keep going?
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

well on the good news front fxpansion has decent tech support so far, in that they respond pretty quickly

but on the bad side

the original installer was SLOWWWWWWWW and it was DEF not my service provider at all

they acknowledged as such and pointed me to the new beta installer that CRASHES on every try

unreal

i am hoping they can just send me some discs now

3 days and still no go
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

how many of you downloaded this product and installed it ok?

i have a very fast internet connection 35 meg up and 10 down and i have downloaded larger files than this before, they do not block me at all

i get errors on every download. they read 529 files failed to download properly

then next time 530 files failed

everytime i still try and run setup it stalls at 40%

i get errors all the time and crashes as well that i send to FXpansion

for me this product it totally unready for a download scenario. but maybe its me? i have been dead with this product 3 days now and never once has it downloaded correctly much less installed correctly

so i am just seeing how it is for everyone else

i have already asked them to send me discs or a refund

thanks
Old 15th December 2013
Gear Addict

It eventually took me around 2 weeks to get all the files but I have to say I took a calculated risk in the knowledge that I do not have a great ISP & downloads. It's OK and I have downloaded many GB of files over the years but I suspect that this download needs top notch to facilitate the download (even then people who say they have solid speeds have complained on their forum).
Just one thing to check is that when it does hang you do not need to keep starting the DL app over from the start, it will remember DLs and pick up from where it stalled (instructions are clear over at the BFD forum).
Don
Old 15th December 2013
Lives for gear

my problem is it doesn't crash or stop. it goes to the end and always says 159 files or 6 files or 160 files did not download correctly

and when i run the setup HOPING it would still work it wont install

it does NOT pick up for me

it runs another CHECK and then just tells me "yeah you have missing files"

again, i have downloaded files larger and my internet is fine for this. its SO frustrating. i have emailed support all my crash logs to, which also happens from time to time AFTER i run it it crashes on setup

i have sent 3 crash logs

i have asked for the discs or a refund. having superior drummer and the libraries and RMX etc and Drums on Demand i dont need this, they all work fine.

i wanted to try it out but if its this bad then i will pass
Old 10th February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
Also using the Logic drummer as an alias and triggering BFD. The download went shmooth as buttah. One very happy "Canuck" ----across the pond!
Hey there, another Canuck here asking you this:

Does this method with Logic Drummer work flawlessly? I actually really like Logic Drummer for ease of use, but the sounds in BFD are really natural sounding.....If all I need to do is make an alias of my drummer track and let BFD3 play it, and it gets every articulation and sound etc etc, then I would really dig that!!!!!
Old 10th February 2014
vxt
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhudson View Post
Hey there, another Canuck here asking you this:

Does this method with Logic Drummer work flawlessly? I actually really like Logic Drummer for ease of use, but the sounds in BFD are really natural sounding.....If all I need to do is make an alias of my drummer track and let BFD3 play it, and it gets every articulation and sound etc etc, then I would really dig that!!!!!
Wow how do you use Drummer as an Alias? I drag the region to other drum track and it doesn't work too well always. Please let me know!
Old 10th February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxt View Post
Wow how do you use Drummer as an Alias? I drag the region to other drum track and it doesn't work too well always. Please let me know!
option shift.....I know, it was quite a find for me! this way, you play around with drummer, and the other track is affected as well...

here's a Apple doc on it

Logic Pro X: Create aliases of MIDI regions in the Tracks area
Old 10th February 2014
vxt
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhudson View Post
option shift.....I know, it was quite a find for me! this way, you play around with drummer, and the other track is affected as well...

here's a Apple doc on it

Logic Pro X: Create aliases of MIDI regions in the Tracks area
Thanks! this is going to be fun!
Old 10th February 2014
Here for the gear

Totally.....not so sure how BFD will do playing the drummer tacks....let me know how that works out. I have BFD2 and it doesn't get all the articulations, or drums.....not sure.....I need to tweak with it.....

Any insight into that from anyone would be great.....is it just having the right keymap and loading a huge kit?

But yes, it is totally fun.....I did not know you could do this, and now I am hearing those awesome BFD drums again.....the logic drums are quite good, but that natural BFD sound is sweet. It's been a while.....might need me some BFD3.

If nothing else, you have options......

oh, and when you commit, you can just change the Alias to a midi file and remove the drummer track all together......
Old 11th February 2014
vxt
Gear Nut

Well looks like its not that different from what I was doing. I copy Drummer regions to some NI drum tracks, and you have to tweak velocity and other things, and ghost notes don't work well most times. Just don't get the same feel. I'm sure its tweakable tho,, haven't tried everything yet.
📝 Reply