The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sorry, I just couldn't Resist!!!
Old 22nd September 2006
Viking

Here's mine!!!! I absolutely love it!!!! I have U-47's that i bought new in 1956...(That no one else has ever touched!!!)

This is now my first choice Lead Vocal Mike. Check out the new Jennifer Lopez Spanish language album. (Don't forget, I am not invited to the mastering sessions....)

Guess Who!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Sorry, I just couldn't Resist!!!-nu47-bruce-small.jpg  
Old 22nd September 2006
Svensk,
Do you have a picture on that/those 47's?

Lindell
Old 22nd September 2006
Viking

Har kom en photo av min U-47.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
Svensk,
Do you have a picture on that/those 47's?

Lindell
Kanna.....

Har kom en photo av min U-47 som jag kopa nytt i 1956!!!

Titta!!!

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Sorry, I just couldn't Resist!!!-my-neumann-u-47-long-10cddb.jpg  
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear Head

Vacker!!!
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear Addict

Smukt... hilsner fra Danmark
Old 22nd September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien View Post
Kanna.....

Har kom en photo av min U-47 som jag kopa nytt i 1956!!!

Titta!!!

Bruce
Now that is one hot mama!! New Product alert in 1956!!!!!
Classic, classic, classic!

Hoppas du tar med den när du kommer till våran studio och spelar in.
Old 22nd September 2006
Here for the gear

That's the Martin Kantola version, isn't it? (if I'm not completely mistaken.)

I seem to have read somewhere Björk uses one as well. Maybe it even was the main mic used in recording her album Medulla? The vocal sound in that one surely speaks for itself.

Michael Kingston
Old 23rd September 2006
Viking

Men jag tycker om!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
Now that is one hot mama!! New Product alert in 1956!!!!!
Classic, classic, classic!

Hoppas du tar med den när du kommer till våran studio och spelar in.
Jag hoppas.... Men min Svenska ar sa dalig!! Men jag tycker om!!!

Bruce

Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

Oj vilken skönhet.

I really would like to touch that wood. heh
Attached Thumbnails
Sorry, I just couldn't Resist!!!-nu47-bruce-small.jpg  
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

Hey, man...Pull my finger! heh
Old 24th September 2006
Viking

Terrmites!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Yordan View Post
Oj vilken skönhet.

I really would like to touch that wood. heh
My biggest maintenence worry about my NU-47 is termites!!! (Hee-hee-hee!!!)

Bruce Swedien

Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Talking

thumbsup
Quote:

Bruce Swedien

Man, what a punchline I almost fell off my chair laughing. heh heh heh

But seriously, wood looks extremly nice on eg mics.

Trä är mycket vackrare än metall, tycker jag.
Old 25th September 2006
Gear Maniac

---
Old 25th September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:

Bruce Swedien

What mic pre are you using this mic with? What would you recommend?

Many thanks.

Spiros.
Old 26th September 2006
Viking

I love the way my NU-47 sounds thrugh my Neve 1084...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskay View Post
What mic pre are you using this mic with? What would you recommend?

Many thanks.

Spiros.
Spiros.....

I love the way my NU-47 sounds thrugh my Neve 1084... Of course I love the way most any Microphone sounds through my Neve 1084's...

I have also used my NU-47 through my UNIVERSAL AUDIO 610 Tube Microphone Preamplifier and it sounds so good through the UNIVERSAL AUDIO 610 that I had to go pee-pee immediately!!!

Bruce Swedien

Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:

Bruce Swedien

Yep..and you get to hear them chewing soooo...very well reproduced..!...heh ..(l0l)
Old 26th September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Spiros.....

I love the way my NU-47 sounds thrugh my Neve 1084... Of course I love the way most any Microphone sounds through my Neve 1084's...

I have also used my NU-47 through my UNIVERSAL AUDIO 610 Tube Microphone Preamplifier and it sounds so good through the UNIVERSAL AUDIO 610 that I had to go pee-pee immediately!!!

Bruce Swedien

Hey I wanna have that pee-pee feeling too!!!!

Guess I need to wip out the credit card!!!!! Do you know if they are available now, or there is a waiting period once I order one?

Thanks Bruce. Trully an honor that I get to speak with you.

Spiros.
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

Talking Sorry, I just couldn't Resist!!!

Quote:

Here's mine!!!! I absolutely love it!!!! I have U-47's that i bought new in 1956...(That no one else has ever touched!!!)

This is now my first choice Lead Vocal Mike. Check out the new Jennifer Lopez Spanish language album. (Don't forget, I am not iinvited to the mastering sessions....)

Guess Who!!!

Dear Bruce S.
What mic you think better in 500 to 1000USD range?
Vocal mic i think, for home studio pc recording...
You dont need write the brand, just the initials, its possible?
Thanks
Osvaldo
Old 27th September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by No4PCs View Post
Dear Bruce S.
What mic you think better in 500 to 1000USD range?
Vocal mic i think, for home studio pc recording...
You dont need write the brand, just the initials, its possible?
Thanks
Osvaldo
Dude no offense but if you bothered to read the Q&A's with Bruce in the other forum he has never comprised his sound by getting cheap microphones. He has always used the best microphones!!! Read up on it man.

spiros.
Old 27th September 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskay View Post
Dude no offense but if you bothered to read the Q&A's with Bruce in the other forum he has never comprised his sound by getting cheap microphones. He has always used the best microphones!!! Read up on it man.
He also has very good things to say about Rode's NT4 stereo mic... I tried the NT5 (which are apparently much the same except in different packaging), and I couldn't stand them and ended up selling them...

Just goes to show that one man's meat is another man's poison.
Old 2nd October 2006
Here for the gear

Thumbs up

Bruce,

My buddy Paul found this site and your thread about orchestral recording when he googled symphony orchestras or something like that. I haven't talked to you since the day I was working in one of the Westlake rooms across the hall from you and on a break I dropped in on you. You were comping vocals for "The Girl Is Mine". Ever since the the days back in 1977 at Universal when we would work on projects together or just stop and chat in the hall, you were amazingly generous with your talent and "tips". You have a HUGE heart and it's a real honor to be able to say I know you. And it's great to have "found" you again. In fact I would love to talk to you some time. Murray Allen was responsible for giving me my start, but you were the most influential mentor I had back in those formative years. I just wanted to take a public "mic" to say THANKS BRUCE! I hope to hear from you!

Blessings!

Jim

Last edited by Jim Scheffler; 2nd October 2006 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: forgot to add salutation
Old 2nd October 2006
Viking

Great to hear from you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Scheffler View Post
Bruce,

My buddy Paul found this site and your thread about orchestral recording when he googled symphony orchestras or something like that. I haven't talked to you since the day I was working in one of the Westlake rooms across the hall from you and on a break I dropped in on you. You were comping vocals for "The Girl Is Mine". Ever since the the days back in 1977 at Universal when we would work on projects together or just stop and chat in the hall, you were amazingly generous with your talent and "tips". You have a HUGE heart and it's a real honor to be able to say I know you. And it's great to have "found" you again. In fact I would love to talk to you some time. Murray Allen was responsible for giving me my start, but you were the most influential mentor I had back in those formative years. I just wanted to take a public "mic" to say THANKS BRUCE! I hope to hear from you!

Blessings!

Jim
Jim......

Great to hear from you... Thanks...

Man those were the days in Chicago at Universal, weren't they???

Bruce Swedien

Old 2nd October 2006
Here for the gear

Those are still some of the best times I ever had in this business. And I am so thankful to have gotten my start there. All the tube mikes and that great Bill Putnam Studio A. When Murray hired me he still had the old Black Face Tube desk with Langevin 251 EQ's and the wall of tube pre's and booster amps. Even the old Western Electric Patch bay. And 24 track machines were only talk back then, we still had an 8 track and 3 16 tracks. It was great because everything I had taught myself about recording as a youngster was finding the balance acoustically in the hall or auditorium by moving the microphone or if possible moving the players around. Universal studio A was one of those great great rooms where you could experiment and certainly had some stuff to pick from. What a great oportunity. In fact I bought a couple of those Langevin EQ's from Murray before he sold that old console. And about 10 years ago I built my own version of it which is a little more like a URIE 500 (Ithink that's the one I'm thinking of) so it's two band but more choices of frequencies and reciprocal so you can cut or boost. Sounds great! Anyway, those were the days to learn. And I have you to thank for not discarding the past. Those are still great tools today.
Do you still have/use that huge transformer for bass D.I. I remember that sound!

So not to get into private and family stuff on this forum, PM me if you get a minute so we can catch up. I'd love to hear all about what your doing and tell you all about what I've been up to and the family. I think it's been 24 years! I lost touch after the Northridge earthquake.

Blessings,

Jim
thumbsup
Old 2nd October 2006
Here for the gear

Bruce, do you still have/use that huge transformer for bass D.I. I remember that sound!

So not to get into private and family stuff on this forum, PM me if you get a minute so we can catch up. I'd love to hear all about what your doing and tell you all about what I've been up to and the family. I think it's been 24 years! I lost touch after the Northridge earthquake.

Blessings,

Jim
thumbsup
Old 11th October 2006
Viking

There are only three NU-47s in existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
That's the Martin Kantola version, isn't it? (if I'm not completely mistaken.)

I seem to have read somewhere Björk uses one as well. Maybe it even was the main mic used in recording her album Medulla? The vocal sound in that one surely speaks for itself.

Michael Kingston
Michael......

There are only three NU-47s in existence. Martin Kantola has one, after all he designed and built all three! I have one and Bjork has one...

The sound of the NU-47 is spectacular!!! It is incomparable!!! I absolutely love mine! When Jennifer Lopez heard her voice through my NU-47 for the first time, her eyes were absolutely sparkling!!!

It would be so difficult and expensive to manufacture that I doubt if it will ever be mass-marketed...

Bruce Swedien

Old 11th October 2006
Viking

Here it is!

Quote:
Bruce, do you still have/use that huge transformer for bass D.I. I remember that sound!

Blessings,

Jim
thumbsup
Jim......

Here it is!
Attached Thumbnails
Sorry, I just couldn't Resist!!!-brucies-bass-boxxx.jpg  
Old 27th October 2006
Here for the gear

Bruce,

My memory could be off here, but I don't remember it having a handle on it. You must have added that since those old Universal days!??

Jim
Old 28th October 2006
Viking

I think I added the chrome handle in 1989.....

Quote:
Bruce,

My memory could be off here, but I don't remember it having a handle on it. You must have added that since those old Universal days!??

Jim
Jim....

I think I added the chrome handle in 1989..... That's the only thing that I thought it needed. I just moved... As soon as I find my bass boxxx I'll open it up and photo the transformer connections. And then post the photo here...

Bruce

Old 29th October 2006
Gear Nut

Hi guys,

I've been recording and programming for Bjork on her new album, I can confirm the NU sounds f**kn unreal..... Martin is a very clever man!

Nice one all,

D

www.damiantaylor.com
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Jim....

I think I added the chrome handle in 1989..... That's the only thing that I thought it needed. I just moved... As soon as I find my bass boxxx I'll open it up and photo the transformer connections. And then post the photo here...

Bruce

I'm eager to know whats inside the box.

Rutger

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search