The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Professional launches Spirit Professional headphones. Studio Headphones
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Two cracks, big enough to show up easy on my samsung cam phone, in fact you can just about see that both cracks are also on the other side. Maybe for Rev2 the "cool speckles" budget could be raided for other components!

Damn it i still love these phones though.
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickie View Post
And it shouldn't happen that soon if you didn't abuse them.
seriously, how can you make that assumption? This is how you might speak to a teenager who throws their **** on the floor. I babied them for a week and they came apart. I've owned and used high end cans for years.
Old 30th March 2014
Gear Head

I am not a native English speaker, I didn't mean to imply he's mistreating his headphones, what I meant was that if one doesn't mistreat one's headphones than said headphones shuldn't have cracks (at least that soon after the purchase) and if they indeed have cracks than the they are not well made.
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear
Cool, understand. I also have two small cracks where he appears to have the same. I can only presume this occurs when being placed on and taken off the head. It is a critical area for headphones, and appears to me perhaps a little flawed, as mine haven't left the studio, and have said cracks. I second what he says, they are great sounding headphones, and super to work on, but personally I wouldn't be surprised if they had completely fallen apart within a year, at this rate anyway.
Old 2nd April 2014
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie TX View Post
These certainly look cool, but I'm wondering if there is any sonic difference between these and the Focal Spirit One cans, which sell for $100 less on Amazon.

Cheers,
Eddie
They are almost as different as they can be. The only thing they share is the first part of the name
Old 2nd April 2014
Gear Head

Is the warranty on these in the UK one or two years? Can't see this info anywhere

Edit: It appears to be only one year.

Edit 2: Nope apparently two (see below)
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear
is enough for me... only got them March
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Maniac

Had mine since October, used nearly every day, no problems at all.
Old 3rd April 2014
Swimming with nanoprobes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodymusic View Post
Is the warranty on these in the UK one or two years? Can't see this info anywhere

Edit: It appears to be only one year.
Did the registry card thing online and got an email back from Focal stating I was covered for two years of warranty.

Sven
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

I have full faith in focal.

I wonder whether those posting "mine are fine" and those posting "my phones have more cracks" should also give an idea of their head size. I'm serious!

I have cracks. I have a relatively large head. Daily user, i love these phones. Taken them out of the studio on one occasion only.
Old 3rd April 2014
Swimming with nanoprobes

I agree, fantastic phones. For critical work, they're putting my HD650's to shame.
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear interested

I've been really careful with the phones. Haven't taken them away from my workspace. My head's big... I feel like that must be a contributor to the cracks. I haven't contacted the U.S. distributor yet, but when I do, I'll post back with what they say.
Old 3rd April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg64 View Post
I agree, fantastic phones. For critical work, they're putting my HD650's to shame.
how are they for bass comparatively to hd650 and for comfort over time? Im wondering if its an upgrade...
Old 3rd April 2014
Swimming with nanoprobes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
how are they for bass comparatively to hd650 and for comfort over time? Im wondering if its an upgrade...
The soundscape of the Spirit Pros is 'harder' and more unforgiving in my opnion, making it easier - and faster - for me to pinpoint frequency imbalances. I had a very short learning curve on these cans, reminding me a bit of the Twins I had a couple of years ago. The Sennheisers feel softer and more laid back in comparison, and I occasionally prefer that. I find the bass response of the Focals more detailed, whereas the HD650s are smoother and possibly more even across the sub to low midrange area. The Focals come across more forward in the upper-mids to me, the HD650s again being smoother and slightly darker.

They are both great cans, and complement each other nicely for me. In ambiguous terms, the Focals provide a colder, slightly more sterile and transient rich image, while the Sennheisers are warmer and more relaxed.

Comfort-wise, I love the Senns, they're a perfect fit for me and I can use them for hours on end if needed. Focals aren't quite there, but still above average and nicer in comparison to e.g. the ATH-M50s. The cushions on the Spirit Pros are soft and nice, but they also make for quite a tight fit compared to the HD650s.

All this said, I do rely heavily on my monitors for the main part of any session, but I like switching to headphones every now and again for variation and avoiding getting too accustomed to just one sound source.

Sven
Old 10th April 2014
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

I love the Focal's for production - I find them to be a great aid when tracking for making the best mic placement choices and have no desire to move on

BUT

I went to put them on yesterday and they felt funny on my head like they were suddenly sliding off one ear - I keep trying to adjust them, but it was still weird feeling.

I examined them more closely and discovered a crack running all the way around the right ear band (it was hidden with the top of the band fully closed as I usually wear them) - this is after 4 months of light use with no hits or falls - I am also the only one who uses these phones in my studio

By comparison, I have had pairs of ATM M-50's rocking for years under heavy use (musicians tracking with them and being not so careful) as well as some cheapish Sure SRH 440's that I have had in action twice as long with no issues.

I am very disappointing to say the least - I should have years of trouble free usage from a professional product in this price range - I am going to see how my dealer and Focal handle this, but I'm feeling pretty cold about my first foray into the world of Focal products at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Focal Professional launches Spirit Professional headphones.-photo.jpg  
Old 28th April 2014
nms
Lives for gear

This cracking issue is really unfortunate. They should be designed to particularly withstand such things.
Old 28th April 2014
Lives for gear

Ok - an update on my breaking band situation

I had suggested to my dealer (Studio Economik in Montreal) that I would like them to send me a new pair so I could continue to use the FSPro's while sorting things out and now this is in the works - they are sending me out a new pair and I will ship back the defective/poorly designed??? pair when I get them.

(My guy had to contact Focal and work this deal out)

Hopefully that this new set will be from a different/modified run, or I will likely be having the same issue in a few months time.

For now, I am happy and I hope to stay that way, as I find these phones very useful...
Old 28th April 2014
I never heard of these problems with the Shure headphones. Was thinking about these Focal headphones but I just may go for another pair of the Shure 840's which i love even more than my Beyerdynamic Pro's
Old 2nd May 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
Ok - an update on my breaking band situation

I had suggested to my dealer (Studio Economik in Montreal) that I would like them to send me a new pair so I could continue to use the FSPro's while sorting things out and now this is in the works - they are sending me out a new pair and I will ship back the defective/poorly designed??? pair when I get them.
The cracks on mine have gotten worse, and now they're losing the seal around my ear on the right side, since the cracks have lessoned the tension that should hold them against my ears. As a result I'm losing bass.

I'm going to contact my distributor, which I think is Orca Design in California, and ask them to do the same thing that Studio Economik did for Hardtoe. I'll post back with what they say.
Old 5th May 2014
Lives for gear

Hi Hoodlum - I managed to get mine to work ok until my replacement arrived (although things were still a bit lopsided) by gaffer taping the worst offending side.

My new pair is here and I can confirm that there is a definite break in period for the drivers on these phones - they were very obviously bass heavy and congested sounding on direct comparison to my older pair when they first arrived.

Now that I have left them running for a couple days, they are sounding a lot more balanced - they still seem to have a bit of room to mellow, but are sounding very good

Hope the good times last

Attached Thumbnails
Focal Professional launches Spirit Professional headphones.-photo.jpg  
Old 5th May 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvester217 View Post
Why in the hell does a company like Focal leave a break in to their customers ?
logistics. Because it's easier to for the customer to burn in one pair than for them to burn in hundreds. This is accepted practice for a lot of products on the market.
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvester217 View Post
I have always considered "burn in" as one of many myths in the audio world.
New speakers never changed their sound after a " burn in" period.

IMO all speakers change with some use at least all that ive owned. Maybe change is wrong but they seem to mellow or sound less hard? My guess is the stretching of the cone and surround but that is just a guess. Even consumer home products and car audio speakers that ive owned all have for lack of a better word 'changed' after some burn in.

I'm really leaning towards buying a pair but the reports of cracking has me second guessing my decision. Has focal publicly made a statement about this?
Old 12th May 2014
Gear Head

Mine started to crack too. I'd wait for an official statement before buying them or go to look somewhere else for phones, though except for cracking they are really good phones.
Old 12th May 2014
Gear Maniac

What are the serial numbers of cracked phones? I was told the first 400 made had a manufacturing defect. I had a sub-400 S/N and Focal replaced them with a much later pair.
Old 12th May 2014
Lives for gear

Interesting - I cant check because I returned my old box with the original pair (which has the serial number on it)

I did order them early on though (Nov 2013), so this is a possibility for my cracked pair (which had been in stock already)

My new ones serial ends in 5068, so I hope that means they will last - I received no word from Focal about the issue, just the new replacement phones
Old 12th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Update on 'Cracking' issue

Hi guys!

Just a quick word on the 'Cracking Issue'

We've had a couple of reports of cracks on the Spirit Pro. it's indeed mostly in the first couple hundreds of units as the plastic is a different 'formulation' and later production. it's hard to say which ones will have the problem.

Needless to say, if you do have cracking issues - please contact us / your dealer immediately for a replacement pair of the latest production.

And as always, feel free to contact me directly!

I'm best reached at scote@audioplusservices.com

Thanks!
Old 12th May 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks - much appreciated.
Old 13th May 2014
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPro View Post
Hi guys!

Just a quick word on the 'Cracking Issue'

We've had a couple of reports of cracks on the Spirit Pro. it's indeed mostly in the first couple hundreds of units as the plastic is a different 'formulation' and later production. it's hard to say which ones will have the problem.

Needless to say, if you do have cracking issues - please contact us / your dealer immediately for a replacement pair of the latest production.

And as always, feel free to contact me directly!

I'm best reached at scote@audioplusservices.com

Thanks!
As always you rock Simon, keep up the awesome work!
Hard to beat top shelf service!
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear
Got a pair coming in for me today. I bought them from Amazon so that I can compare them to my Beyer DT 880s. If there is not a significant difference, then I'm sending them back.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search