The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Out now: Zynaptiq UNFILTER Adaptive Tonal Contour Linearization Plug-In
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
Hi Denis,

Which one would you recommend most suited to remove small room resonances (on a per track basis, not a whole mix), Unveil or Unfilter?

Thanks,
Peter.
For resonances definitely UNFILTER. UNVEIL can - on the other hand - get rid of masking effects really nicely. Used subtly it can increase fidelity on single tracks really nicely. We have some users who simply open a dozen of them across their mix's tracks and just leave the default setting in place to bring everything subtly to the front.

-d
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J View Post
At extreme settings some odd artifacts started to show up, especially with the "smoothing" control. It also seemed a little bit buggy in logic X. At one point while using all the audio dropped out, and I had to restart logic to get it back.
With SMOOTHING all the way down, and INTENSITY high, you can get narrow notches compensated for strongly, giving some nasty new peaks. If that is NOT what you mean, please tell me more about what you're seeing so we can look into it!

-d
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag View Post
With SMOOTHING all the way down, and INTENSITY high, you can get narrow notches compensated for strongly, giving some nasty new peaks. If that is NOT what you mean, please tell me more about what you're seeing so we can look into it!

-d
Just to be clear my feelings about this plugin are entirely positive, except for the price. IMHO it's a great piece of software--innovative, effective, useful.

I had some odd behaviors in the DAW while using it--at one point all the sound output muted, and I could not get it back until I quit and restarted the DAW (Logic Pro X). Otherwise it was flawless
Old 18th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

-d
UNFILTER is probably the most exciting new tool for me since Paul Frindle's DSM (very knowledgeable guy by the way). So far I have only played around with it on some video dialog and re-working old mixes (on the master bus)---and I've been amazed by how well this tool works (and how fast you can get results). As others have said, I can also easily see this as my go-to mastering grade EQ. The only feature I find myself missing so far is a "Mix" knob (to control the amount of effect). At first I thought this was the intended purpose of the "Intensity" knob, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Can you clarify? Thanks much. Great work Denis et al. and awesome customer service.

esco
Old 6th June 2014
Lives for gear

Hi,

sorry, seem to have missed your question.

Actually, that *is* the purpose of the INTENSITY knob -- at center position, the frq response correction is off, and the higher the value, the more EQ/correction. However, the graphic EQ, HPF, limiter and output gain (as well as the freeform EQ if active) are still in-circuit. So indeed, a dry/wet control would be useful. We've got that on our list of feature requests ;-)

Also, we've updated UNFILTER to v1.2.1. Mainly a maintenance release:
  • (Full & Trial) Enhanced compatibility with FCPX 10.1.x on OS X Mavericks
  • (Full & Trial) Improved handling of erroneous audio buffers or denormals passed to the plug-in by some hosts when scrubbing or jumping in the time-line
  • (Full & Trial) Fixed rare issue with CPU load not being freed when the plug-in was bypassed
  • (Trial only) Fixed rare "un-clickable demo notification window" issue in Pro Tools

Cheers,
Denis
Old 6th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Double post deleted
Old 6th June 2014
Gear Maniac

I second the opinion of unfilter being the most exciting plugin since DSM, as these were exactly my thoughts also

It was very exciting to hear unfilter do it's magic when I tried the demo for the first time. People are mistaken to think that it's only a regular plugin to process audio as it is really a timemachine in disguise. Unfilter took me back in time when I was a little boy once again playing with my robots outside until my mom called me in for a dinner. This is one of the best feelings a plugin can give to me. But it's weird that at the same time I almost felt like I did something bad. Getting good results with unfilter is so fast and easy that it makes even an honest person doubt his/her own integrity. To me unfilter is a real breakthrough in audio processing technology and I just have to wonder why it's not talked about more here. It is a real piece of art and Denis is nothing short of a genious for creating it.

I wish that more developers would try to invent new technology that really show the benefits of digital signal processing instead of making the same 'vintage' compressor plugins again and again and again.

I can't afford to buy it right now but let's just say that I am very grateful for the demo restrictions, which are really fair.
Old 17th June 2014
Lives for gear
Does Zynaptic ever have sales? I LOVE unfilter but it's just too pricey.

I think Zynaptic markets it wrong--instead of marketing it as a high end tool for professionals, they should market it as a way for home recordists to improve the quality of their work. It's really good at getting rid of room infelicities.

Are you listening, Zynaptic? Big market out there...
Old 18th June 2014
Quote:

I think Zynaptic markets it wrong--instead of marketing it as a high end tool for professionals, they should market it as a way for home recordists to improve the quality of their work. It's really good at getting rid of room infelicities.

I was literally just about to ask this question in this very thread, lol. This plugin never comes up used and the best price I could find new is $370. I have no problem spending money on quality products and I'm about to pull the trigger on this for my project studio. However I wanted to ask if you guys ever have sales? Considering that it's summer, it's a great time to have one..
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Currently, we don't have plans for a sale, sorry.

On the "home recordist" note...yes, we are aware of that market segment...heh

Cheers,
Denis
Old 19th June 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:

Hey PB+J,

I fully understand your argument and where you are coming from but on the flip side, compared to the cost of a large space with the full acoustic treatment works, UNFILTER is an amazing bargain.

Considering the fact it is the only tool that does what it does short of writing your own spectral manipulation algorithms (at least as far as I am aware), I don't think the price is that unreasonable. I don't mind rewarding forward thinking companies like Zynaptiq! I much prefer their approach to audio tools than all the companies releasing yet another emulation of some vintage box with a fake hardware GUI!

Not that I own UNFILTER. I use my own solutions to these kind of problems. UNVEIL on the other hand is one of the weapons in my sonic arsenal that sees regular use. I am also consciously avoiding checking out the demo of Molekular as I suspect that I won't be able to resist!

PS: Was Denis giving us a hint at some future product in his last post? Heh. I probably just need my morning dose of caffeine.

Alistair
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear
I completely agree about zynaptiq and salute their forward thinking and innovation. Ok don't think the price is unreasonable, though it's a little high for me, and I wish them every success. As you say, there are way too many ridiculous vintage clones
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:

On the "home recordist" note...yes, we are aware of that market segment...heh

Cheers,
Denis
So should we be on the lookout for new products?
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
So should we be on the lookout for new products?
Well, if your question is "does it make sense to wait for a less-bells-and-whistles-but-also-less-$$" version of UNFILTER - I'd say no, nothing like that in the *immediate* future (while we're growing rapidly due to the amazing support our software is getting out there, we're still a small team and our stuff takes a lot of research to make). But in general it's a resounding "YES!!". Next up is obviously UNCHIRP - which is turning out to be a real monster even if your signal has no codec/denoiser issues whatsoever - and then there are of course the Prosoniq products that we've acquired that will get some love (without specific ETA so far). And there are a couple of new things in the pipeline too that I'm sure you guys will enjoy very, very much.

While it's been a little quiet at Zynaptiq because we were so deep in research for UNCHIRP plus some other things, we're here to stay and there'll be lots and lots of very cool tools wearing our logo :-)

-d
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

Excellent !
Old 21st June 2014
Quote:
Hey it was worth a try. It's the next plugin I'm getting either way.
Old 21st June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheming View Post
Hey it was worth a try.
Hehe, sure it was worth a try heh

-d
Old 31st August 2015
Quote:
Hey!

well, yes, it is kind of the general idea that the plug-in is capable of doing stuff *relative* to the input signal. Your personal preference is something it won't be able to "know", though ;-)
I've attached a preset that is a good starting point for a general-make-it-better scenario. Adjust Intensity, Weighting, HPF and output gain to taste. I've been using this setting for just about any source/stem on a video soundtrack project I'm working on at the moment and it's very, very useful.
cool preset - gimme more !!! Whats about the announced ilok protection ?

Last edited by Peter N.; 31st August 2015 at 11:13 PM..
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Unfilter 1.3 update, and on sale until May 31, 2019!

https://www.zynaptiq.com/unfilter/
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

And a mighty sale it is
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Unfilter 1.3 update, and on sale until May 31, 2019!

https://www.zynaptiq.com/unfilter/
Anyone know what the changes are for the updated version?
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

"The free v1.3.0 update includes over 150 new presets, a brand new preset manager, increased resolution for numerical parameter entry, and more. Update to 1.3.0 or give the trial a spin now! And as aways: let us know if you need a trial reset."
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
"The free v1.3.0 update includes over 150 new presets, a brand new preset manager, increased resolution for numerical parameter entry, and more. Update to 1.3.0 or give the trial a spin now! And as aways: let us know if you need a trial reset."
I'm on the non-PACE version which is a different version number, but the Zynaptiq website says that the versions have the same updates regardless. I downloaded the update but haven't gotten around to installing it yet though.

Thanks for the notes on the update!
Old 9th March 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Glad to hear that, we spent a lot of time designing the filter engine to be exactly that heh

It is a Zero-Phase design by the way, which is one part of why it sounds so good.

I've just revisited this plugin(I purchased it long ago..) and have question.. It seems this UN-Filiterling is doing by linear phase filter, so why? Even if I would correct wrong EQuing by Unfilter and I could get right frequency response, I think wrong phase response might remain there. I imagine that if Unfilter would work by Min-Phase filter, phase response could be corrected as well. Or linear phase filter is for only 7-BAND EQ?
๐Ÿ“ Reply