Barefoot introduces the MicroMain27 Gen2 and MicroMain35 Gen2! - Page 9 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Barefoot introduces the MicroMain27 Gen2 and MicroMain35 Gen2!
Old 29th December 2013
Hi all,

I've heard the Barefoot MM27 GEN2 against many other brands. However, I'm interested in approximate max SPL ratings for both the MM35 & MM27 (GEN2). I'm currently using a pair of Focal Solo 6Be monitors, and I'd like a bit more tracking power for when I want to 'crank' my synths/keyboards/guitars during recording (along with a better monitor in general).

Unfortunately, VKLA didn't have the MM35 GEN2 monitors and I'm interested in their quality (in terms of power, image, depth of reverb tails, etc.) versus their big brother. Can someone comment on this?

If I choose to go with the Barefoot brand, it will most likely be the MM35 GEN2 model due to budget and my 'smaller' project studio size. I've placed a small down payment at Studio Economik, and I'm looking forward to getting a pair to finally test with my setup. However, I'm quite keen on shooting the MM35 GEN2 monitors versus Unity Audio's 'The Rock' combined with their 'Avalanche' sub. I'm thinking the Bare-Feet (MM35) will obliterate 'The Rock' plus 'The Avalanche' in terms of sheer power/volume, but I'm interested in how these two brands compare against one another. Perhaps, I should include 'The Boulder' as well...

All apologies about going slightly off topic, but would love to hear any users chime on what I've stated above. At this point in time, the Barefoot MM27 GEN2s reign supreme in my book! I'm convinced that lusting after gear is half the fun.

Kind regards,

Phil
Old 29th December 2013

Last edited by Palaver; 29th December 2013 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Double Post
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Maniac

I don't know about spl ratings but the mm35's have a lot of headroom. Especially in the sub region (where it is needed the most when pushing the volume).

I think the amount of headroom is comparable with adding the be sub to your setup.
Old 3rd January 2014
Company Rep

Yeah, I don’t publish maximum SPL numbers because, frankly, they are usually meaningless. They are the sorts of specs that can be massaged to be whatever you want them to be. For example, I see max SPL specs published for small 2-way speakers that I personally would feel uncomfortable publishing for the MM27. Sure, they can probably justified as calculated, peak, short term, spectrally integrated, half space, etc., etc…. But then what is point?

Side by side comparisons of monitors are usually the best test for this sort of thing. We rather like side by side comparisons.
Old 3rd January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
Yeah, I don’t publish maximum SPL numbers because, frankly, they are usually meaningless. They are the sorts of specs that can be massaged to be whatever you want them to be. For example, I see max SPL specs published for small 2-way speakers that I personally would feel uncomfortable publishing for the MM27. Sure, they can probably justified as calculated, peak, short term, spectrally integrated, half space, etc., etc…. But then what is point?

Side by side comparisons of monitors are usually the best test for this sort of thing. We rather like side by side comparisons.
Thanks for the response, Thomas. It's hugely appreciated.

However, are you able to give an approximation of the SPL difference between the MM35 and MM27 (GEN2 versions)? I know back somewhere you mentioned one being akin to beating a 'dead horse,' while the other is compared to beating a 'dead elephant!' Would you categorize this as approximately a 6dB (give or take difference)?

I'm interested in hearing whether or not you've had clients commenting on tracking power during recording sessions with the MM35 GEN2? When I'm tracking my guitarist, I'd like to be able to 'crank' the volumes a little bit (while the both of us are seated at my project studio desk). It's nice to get the drums & bass pumping - this all helps add to the tracking performance.

BTW - do you plan on showing any new goodies or upgrades during NAMM? I've noticed in another thread that you mentioned you're working on a monitor controller/AES3 digital attenuation knob solution. This device would be specifically designed to pair up with your GEN2 speakers.

Anyway, I probably should just shut my mouth and wait another few weeks! Congrats on designing such a wonderful product, and more importantly, I hope you had a great holiday (along with everyone else on GS!).

Kind regards,

Phil
Old 19th February 2014
Here for the gear

Hi!
What is better to choose the cable under these monitors???
Who uses what cable????

Thanks!
Old 19th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDRTOL View Post
Hi!
What is better to choose the cable under these monitors???
Who uses what cable????

Thanks!
I just use mogami .
Unless your some audiophile nut,pretty much any decent cable is ok.
Old 19th February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I just use mogami .
Which model Mogami you have?
Old 19th February 2014
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I just use mogami .
Don't take the bait RoundBadge. heh
Old 20th February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Don't take the bait RoundBadge. heh
Advise wire to connect)
I would be very grateful to you
Old 21st February 2014
Company Rep

Any well made and reliable cable that pleases your eyes.
Old 21st February 2014
Gear Guru

Old 21st February 2014
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Thanks for the response, Thomas. It's hugely appreciated.

However, are you able to give an approximation of the SPL difference between the MM35 and MM27 (GEN2 versions)? I know back somewhere you mentioned one being akin to beating a 'dead horse,' while the other is compared to beating a 'dead elephant!' Would you categorize this as approximately a 6dB (give or take difference)?

I'm interested in hearing whether or not you've had clients commenting on tracking power during recording sessions with the MM35 GEN2? When I'm tracking my guitarist, I'd like to be able to 'crank' the volumes a little bit (while the both of us are seated at my project studio desk). It's nice to get the drums & bass pumping - this all helps add to the tracking performance.

BTW - do you plan on showing any new goodies or upgrades during NAMM? I've noticed in another thread that you mentioned you're working on a monitor controller/AES3 digital attenuation knob solution. This device would be specifically designed to pair up with your GEN2 speakers.

Anyway, I probably should just shut my mouth and wait another few weeks! Congrats on designing such a wonderful product, and more importantly, I hope you had a great holiday (along with everyone else on GS!).

Kind regards,

Phil
Hi Phil,

Sorry I missed your post.

Yeah, 6dB is a good rough estimate. Of course, it depends on the material. The difference in max SPL will be greater with very bass heavy music. The MM27 can move a lot more air at low frequencies.

Cheers!
Thomas
Old 6th April 2014
Here for the gear

Thomas,
How long are now being implemented orders on mm27 Gen2?

Thanks!!!
Old 6th April 2014
Here for the gear

Thomas,
How long are now being implemented orders on mm27 Gen2?

Thanks!!!
Old 9th July 2014
Here for the gear

There is a difference in the sound when connected via AES3 and ANLG?
Old 9th July 2014
TRW
Lives for gear

I'd love to know if Barefoot are ever going to do a non-sub version of the MM35, at a much more affordable price point. A standard 2-way 70-20khz would be dope!

C'mon Thomas!! ;-)

-Tom
Old 9th July 2014
Deleted 2ef94c5
Quote:
There is a difference in the sound when connected via AES3 and ANLG?
Not as far as I can tell. I routinely swap between the crookwood AD (inside my mastering console) and the Barefoot AD and have yet to reliably tell a difference every time I A/B.
Old 10th September 2014
Lives for gear

anyone tried the metric halo mio mixer as digital monitor controller??
Old 20th November 2014
Here for the gear

Help!
My monitor MM27 Gen 2 makes strange noise when turned on and now does not work what the matter it can be? =(

Thanks!
Old 20th November 2014
Gear Guru

Maybe email the manufacturer?
Old 20th November 2014
Here for the gear

already written =)
Old 3rd October 2015
Here for the gear

Blown power supply.
Old 3rd October 2015
Company Rep

Quote:
Blown power supply.
PM sent.
Old 4th October 2015
Gear Head

Hello ! What can you tell us about Micro Main 26 ? Is a central speaker for surround setup or ... ? When it is released?
Old 7th October 2015
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_Music View Post
Hello ! What can you tell us about Micro Main 26 ? Is a central speaker for surround setup or ... ? When it is released?
Here you go!

Quote:
Barefoot introduces the MicroMain26 - Gearslutz.com

Hi All, Barefoot Sound is proud to introduce the MicroMain26. Based on the renowned MicroMain27 Gen2 platform, the MM26 raises the performance to new...
Old 24th June 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
very exciting....!

i have what maybe a dumb question...

How does one control the volume of a digital signal feeding speakers without loosing resolution at low volume? i presume i'm missing something?
Not a dumb question at all. You’re right, controlling the volume digitally reduces resolution. You are throwing away bits and that is definitely a concern when going into the AES3 input. The good news is, if you’re working in 24 bit, you have about -48dB worth of attenuation available before you get down to merely CD resolution. And 16 bit can sound awfully damn good.

I have an add-on device in the works that will help the Gen2’s (and MM12) circumvent this digital attenuation issue. But I don’t want to get ahead of myself. Suffice it to say I have a plan.
Any info on the add on device?
📝 Reply