The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kuassa EVE-AT Equalizer Plugins
Old 29th May 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Post Kuassa EVE-AT



Key Features:
  • Approximately +/-18dB (Narrow Q), and +/-12 dB (Broad Q).
  • Selectable broad/narrow Q bandwidth.
  • Selectable shelf/peak filter mode.
  • HP & LP, -18 dB/octave.
  • Output trim.

PRICE :
  • Each $27
  • Both $49
Old 29th May 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Sounds good to me.

But I would have liked them to model the preamp circuitry with in/out transformers.

They look and sound good, but as of today, I had more hopes for new Neve emulations.
Old 29th May 2013
  #3
sound nice for me . . . . sometimes better than maag vst (maag still better onn bass but not nice in distorted guitars)
Old 30th May 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
poshook's Avatar
these neves sound pretty good
Old 30th May 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
 

First I have to that these two plugins from Kuassa are on the best and soothing GUI replica from Neve's that I love period. Easy on the eye loving it
Now on top of that, they sound amazing :-) Great job Kuassa, it's a grab

P.s only thing missing is a Wet/Dry overall knob control and would be awesome :-)
Old 30th May 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
poshook's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
First I have to that these two plugins from Kuassa are on the best and soothing GUI replica from Neve's that I love period. Easy on the eye loving it
Now on top of that, they sound amazing :-) Great job Kuassa, it's a grab

P.s only thing missing is a Wet/Dry overall knob control and would be awesome :-)
i miss the level metering. compared with ddmf6144 and ddmf wins on bottom end and overall nature of sound. ddmf uses Butterworth filters on low and hishelf. eves use standard shelfs with large q-factor. midrange filters behave quite similar - standard bells with progressive q-factor
Old 30th May 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
i miss the level metering. compared with ddmf6144 and ddmf wins on bottom end and overall nature of sound. ddmf uses Butterworth filters on low and hishelf. eves use standard shelfs with large q-factor. midrange filters behave quite similar - standard bells with progressive q-factor
True about the level metering, i'm all up for additional stuff that will make all happy and useful :-)
Old 30th May 2013
  #8
Den
Lives for gear
 
Den's Avatar
Neve 1081 and Neve 1084
How they are against the PSP or Waves?
Old 30th May 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
kuasalogam's Avatar
 

I must say that we're not actually modelling or emulating the Neve hardware, so we decided to make an EQ only plugin (without the preamp and/or transformer section).
We just love how 'smooth' - or, as Solar says 'soothing'- the Neve EQs are and try to create something based on that feelings.
Consider this as a tribute for the Neves

Thanks for the words, any comments appreciated
Old 30th May 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
poshook's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Neve 1081 and Neve 1084
How they are against the PSP or Waves?
what about the demo?
Old 30th May 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Neve 1081 and Neve 1084
How they are against the PSP or Waves?
id be interested in this as well. the psp neve clone is very nice so if they can compete with that that ill pick em up for sure
Old 30th May 2013
  #12
Den
Lives for gear
 
Den's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
what about the demo?
I tried the demo, against 6144 and I prefer DDMF. More harmonics, warmer.
But I don't have Waves V EQ to put it against them.


Edit:
These two eq sounds really nice and clean. For my workflow thru VCC is even better than color EQ.
Great sound indeed.
Old 31st May 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
The 6144 is really a different beast, it is not the best comparison.

Anybody have trouble with Sonar seeing the plugin? I used the 64-bit installer and it's not showing up in the plugin manager.

Win 7 x64, Sonar X2a x64

EDIT: never mind, it was that weird naming convention bug that occasionally occurs in Sonar. Got it sorted, off to listen...
Old 31st May 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
The 6144 is really a different beast, it is not the best comparison.

Anybody have trouble with Sonar seeing the plugin? I used the 64-bit installer and it's not showing up in the plugin manager.

Win 7 x64, Sonar X2a x64

EDIT: never mind, it was that weird naming convention bug that occasionally occurs in Sonar. Got it sorted, off to listen...
try comparing the at4 with the stillwell 1973. thats a much better match up
personally i preferred the at4 although i love the 1973. they are both great sounding eq's
Old 31st May 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
try comparing the at4 with the stillwell 1973. thats a much better match up
personally i preferred the at4 although i love the 1973. they are both great sounding eq's
Yea exactly, that would be a better comparison. The 6144 it's just an entirely different EQ.

But at any rate I like to use nebula as an exemplar against algorithmic plugin eqs and I will say you guys did an excellent job on these EQs. I would as well have love to heard the preamp section.
Old 31st May 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Yea exactly, that would be a better comparison. The 6144 it's just an entirely different EQ.

But at any rate I like to use nebula as an exemplar against algorithmic plugin eqs and I will say you guys did an excellent job on these EQs. I would as well have love to heard the preamp section.
how do the nebulas compare quality wise. ive never had the chance to use nebula but i hear nothing but great things. can the at's hold there own against them or are the nebulas in a different league?
Old 31st May 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
how do the nebulas compare quality wise. ive never had the chance to use nebula but i hear nothing but great things. can the at's hold there own against them or are the nebulas in a different league?
Nebula is stunning, especially where frequency and phase response are concerned which is why it is king for EQ. But, I will say as I described in another recent thread that this king title is a fine fading line because algo developers are really setting the bar. Still, as a direct reference to a piece of hardware, it is a nice benchmark to have. When algo dev can recreate just as high quality and may be even add unique features as well, the possibility of better workflow, latency improvement, actual GUI also comes with it which makes it much more desirable. I mean, look at what Kuassa did here with these EQ's. If the full pre-amp and coloration were intact, it would go from 99% to 100%, in my opinion. In my testing, these EQ's were easily holding their own and I'd absolutely use them.
Old 31st May 2013
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Nebula is stunning, especially where frequency and phase response are concerned which is why it is king for EQ. But, I will say as I described in another recent thread that this king title is a fine fading line because algo developers are really setting the bar. Still, as a direct reference to a piece of hardware, it is a nice benchmark to have. When algo dev can recreate just as high quality and may be even add unique features as well, the possibility of better workflow, latency improvement, actual GUI also comes with it which makes it much more desirable. I mean, look at what Kuassa did here with these EQ's. If the full pre-amp and coloration were intact, it would go from 99% to 100%, in my opinion. In my testing, these EQ's were easily holding their own and I'd absolutely use them.
which algo eq are in the same league as Nebula eq in your opinion? Ive not found one yet...
Old 31st May 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
which algo eq are in the same league as Nebula eq in your opinion? Ive not found one yet...
is the cdsoundmaster n-ten at4 still the one to beat in your opinion?
i tried the demo but they only give you one module so its hard to judge but im debating either picking up the n-ten or go with this new one. i think the advantage of the n-ten will obviously be the preamp and saturation but is the n-ten a cpu hog?
Old 31st May 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
which algo eq are in the same league as Nebula eq in your opinion? Ive not found one yet...
Equilibrium at the higher CPU settings is in the same ballpark for clean EQ as Mammoth EQ clean. The UAD API 550 and 560 are in the same ballpark as colored Nebula EQs. I know some might argue these 3 don't get all the way to Nebula equivalence. Of course, each person weighs workflow benefits versus proximity to the Nebula holy grail. For me, these three EQs get close enough that their workflow benefits outweigh any slight difference (for me) in quality.
Old 31st May 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
poshook's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
Equilibrium at the higher CPU settings is in the same ballpark for clean EQ as Mammoth EQ clean. The UAD API 550 and 560 are in the same ballpark as colored Nebula EQs. I know some might argue these 3 don't get all the way to Nebula equivalence. Of course, each person weighs workflow benefits versus proximity to the Nebula holy grail. For me, these three EQs get close enough that their workflow benefits outweigh any slight difference (for me) in quality.
I agree. Equilibrium in FIR linear with 32768 samples and more impulse length is really good and comparable with clean EQ sections in Nebula. The same I can say about the Spline EQ which sounds as good as Equilibrium for fraction of money.
Old 31st May 2013
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
I agree. Equilibrium in FIR linear with 32768 samples and more impulse length is really good and comparable with clean EQ sections in Nebula. The same I can say about the Spline EQ which sounds as good as Equilibrium for fraction of money.
I just tried spline and its pretty cool I have to say - but very clean...obviously...it almost seems boring really - but it does not sound harsh or brittle like sometime I hear...


Most algo eq leave me pretty cold...would quite like to try the Neve Portico at some point...
Old 1st June 2013
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
Hi SWAN808
Just to add to the Equilibrium and the newer UAD stuff that was mentioned by others already, Sknote's version of a Pultec style is a monster. He does have to work out some bugs but it is pretty much there. DDMF's 6144 is dead on, right there next to the Nebula version which says a lot about his understanding and coding. The psp stuff too is very good.

I want to say also that when I speak of this leveling of the field between Nebula and algo plugins, I allude more to the potential of what can be done with algo stuff because of what is presently cropping up. These aforementioned dev's as well as Slate (VTM is just sick) will undoubtedly get us there. Kuass proves that right here as well with this offering. I am pretty sure the preamp distortion would give that extra bit to make it "perfect." I also know on a personal level - as you know SWAN what I offered with my Neb stuff - that much manipulation can be done ITB that can afford one the room to manipulate sounds to match almost anything as far as its caliber of quality and usability is concerned or even surpass it. I personally do a lot of crazy maneuvers itb that help shape my sound; any where from combinations of stuff to routing and what not. Between knowing what I can get like that ITB and because these talented dev's show us how they can match or some times get so close that it either becomes negligible to match or they could very well go that extra bit to match, I have no doubt algo will make a come back again.
Old 1st June 2013
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Hi SWAN808
Just to add to the Equilibrium and the newer UAD stuff that was mentioned by others already, Sknote's version of a Pultec style is a monster. He does have to work out some bugs but it is pretty much there. DDMF's 6144 is dead on, right there next to the Nebula version which says a lot about his understanding and coding. The psp stuff too is very good.

I want to say also that when I speak of this leveling of the field between Nebula and algo plugins, I allude more to the potential of what can be done with algo stuff because of what is presently cropping up. These aforementioned dev's as well as Slate (VTM is just sick) will undoubtedly get us there. Kuass proves that right here as well with this offering. I am pretty sure the preamp distortion would give that extra bit to make it "perfect." I also know on a personal level - as you know SWAN what I offered with my Neb stuff - that much manipulation can be done ITB that can afford one the room to manipulate sounds to match almost anything as far as its caliber of quality and usability is concerned or even surpass it. I personally do a lot of crazy maneuvers itb that help shape my sound; any where from combinations of stuff to routing and what not. Between knowing what I can get like that ITB and because these talented dev's show us how they can match or some times get so close that it either becomes negligible to match or they could very well go that extra bit to match, I have no doubt algo will make a come back again.
Mmm...I tried the 6144 when it was first released and it seemed decent but not unlike the other decent analogue style algo eq such as the psp squad ones....also - whilst I think 2eq pro is an excellent eq - I remember ddmf arguing about eq and designing the 6144 specifically to show there wasnt really anything special going on with the portico eq. AFAIK he just matched the curves and put a bit of algo saturation in there matched by ear. I could be wrong but thats how I remember it.

Im not so sold yet on algo processing but I will re-demo the 6144, these neve plugs and maybe pick up sknote pultec to see...
Old 1st June 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 
poshook's Avatar
One more about Nebula. I do not agree that its workflow is bad because turning the one available knob makes my tracks and mixes soooo much better than working hours with any algo EQ
Old 1st June 2013
  #26
Gear nut
 

why nebula always comes up ?
Old 1st June 2013
  #27
do not like nebulas here...
the sound is important but i need easy to eyes workflow like hardware
Old 1st June 2013
  #28
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batiatus View Post
why nebula always comes up ?
Nebula comes up frequently because whenever there is discussion on a plugin, there will always eventually be someone who needs to have a comparison made. In my opinion, these are often the same people who demand demo versions of plugins (seemingly unrelated, but I could explain that comment privately...lol). And as soon as plugin comparisons start, the plugin in question will always get compared to other possibly similar plugins, and to any hardware that the plugin may have been based on (if any). And to my ears, Nebula is the ONLY non-actual hardware audio tool that comes as close to real hardware in sound, texture, and that ever-elusive "mojo". I could never go back to my pre-Nebula digital audio work. If forced to not use Nebula, I would prefer to go back to my actual analog audio that I spent 20+ years in before discovering Nebula. It's not for everyone and I won't try to sell anyone. But there are very few algo plugs that I would bother with if I have a Nebula library that covers it.
Old 1st June 2013
  #29
OMU
Lives for gear
 
OMU's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batiatus View Post
why nebula always comes up ?
Because everybody would love to replace it with something easier to use. Of course, if the sound comes close enough.
Old 1st June 2013
  #30
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
Nebula is to gearslutz what the Holy Grail is to Monty Python.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump