Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and 6i6 - Page 3 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and 6i6
Old 19th August 2013
Focusrite

There isn't an iOS Scarlett MixControl but settings will be retained on the device from Scarlett MixControl on a computer, so set them there and you can use the desired settings with your iPad.

The previous owner can provide you with the registration code and we can help out if you have any issues with the activation codes.

Chris
Focusrite Support
Old 6th September 2013
Here for the gear

6i6

Hi Focusrite,

Please don't skimp on opamps. I took apart my 6i6 today and replaced all the NJM4565 (8 in total?) with OPA2228 and LM4562 (THD+N in the order of 0.00005%), retaining only the NJM2122 and TL072 on the mic pre. Boy! The sound is so much more pristine now! The NJM4565 doesn't do justice to the 2 CS4272 converters in there!!! I would gladly pay $50 more for better opamps!

I love this unit now!!

Best regards,
Saxon
Old 6th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
Please don't skimp on opamps. I took apart my 6i6 today and replaced all the NJM4565 (8 in total?) with OPA2228 and LM4562 (THD+N in the order of 0.00005%), retaining only the NJM2122 and TL072 on the mic pre. Boy! The sound is so much more pristine now! The NJM4565 doesn't do justice to the 2 CS4272 converters in there!!! I would gladly pay $50 more for better opamps!
Are they socketed?
Old 7th September 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

6i6 opamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
Are they socketed?
Nope. They are DMP8/SOP8 surface mount.
Old 4th October 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Nope. They are DMP8/SOP8 surface mount.
Quite curious in your mod. Can you post a schematic of what has been done? Thanks
Old 6th December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi Focusrite,

I love this unit now!!

Best regards,
Saxon
where did you get the new opamps from ?
Old 27th December 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Please explain! Also are the preamps ins 18i8 the same as the 6i6? I have an 18i8 on the way.

Thanks.
I think many of us are looking for the how-to on what you did (from where to buy the parts, to how to actually accomplish the mod)
Old 27th December 2013
Here for the gear

Speaking on the 6i6.... So I got the Scarlett 6i6 to replace my 2i4 because
of the extra line inputs. I was told that if I connect my True Systems P-solo
preamp directly to the line inputs of my 6i6 instead of going directly into the
preamp of my 2i4 that I would get a better signal. & so far I have not noticed
any difference at all. & I am thinking about returning my 6i6 because I didn't
notice any better sound quality. I am using an Audio Technica 4050 and an
AKG C414XLII on vocals. If anyone can shed some light here on my situation
it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 24th February 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Virtual Loopback on any of these new Scarletts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL View Post
I just bought the 8i6 because it has internal loopback. AFAIK none of the newer interfaces have that and I like that feature because you can easily sample anything that you're playing on your computer.
Hello. That's an older model right? Can you confirm that the 6i6 or 18i8 (2013) interface does have Virtual Loopback as an onboard feature too? Thank you. I'm looking for an interface with this specifically. Are you suggesting that if anyone wants onboard virtual loopback they must hunt down an older Scarlett interface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL View Post
I wish all these new Focusrite interfaces had virtual loopback like the old ones.
Can someone please confirm which, if any, of the new 2013 Focusrite Scarlett interfaces have this Virtual Loopback feature onboard? I have fiddled in the past with VAC and other options but I prefer a simple handy interface option for this routing.

I would greatly appreciate anyone who can tell me which interface in this line offers what I'm looking for. Thank you. Perhaps Chris from Focusrite can confirm this, if he is around.

Finally, is it possible to get a "What you hear" recording like I'm after (loopback) by using a SPDIF connection that loops SPDIF in to SPDIF out? Would that let me "record" my computer audio loopback?
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Head

Hi gnubie

I'm afraid the only Scarlett unit with virtual loopback is the 8i6. With other units that have SPDIF, you can easily route audio out and back in, without the traditional need to pass through converters and use copper cable. This is simple to setup in Mix Control and would effectively achieve what you're after.

If you need further advice, why not drop us a line? Contact | Focusrite

Best regards
Old 17th March 2014
Here for the gear

I PM'd you. Please lend a hand, thank you!
Old 18th March 2014
Here for the gear

I would like to know if connecting an external preamp to the back panel Scarlett line input would result in the Focusrite ADDING gain and noise to the signal. I don't care about "coloration" I'm talking about degradation that is AUDIBLE.

As it is now my current interface is crap. When I connect a preamp to the combo jacks (it's all I have, no choice) I can see the interface LEDs glowing to NEAR PEAK LEVELS, even though its my external preamp that is actually the gain stage I want. I hate that my interface adds that much crap to my signal.

Please tell me the Scarlett interface just PASSES ON the damn gain from my external preamp without it adding anything degrading. PLEASE? Is it asking too much lol? Should the Scarlett levels in the control panel show gain from the interface? I hope not. I'm tired and I refuse to have to use fricking inline pads for this simple chain. It's a preamp-interface chain it shouldn't need inline attenuators. Say it aint so.
Old 24th August 2014
Here for the gear

Hi all , am facing dead end to this issue .... Hmm now I am planning to buy novation launchpad 49/61 to use it with my IPAd 4. However I also want to hear what I am recording through my hs50m's which are connected to scarlett 6i6 ... So basically I want to route novation keyboard through scarlett which is connected to ipad4 any idea on workable solution to this ...
Old 24th August 2014
Here for the gear

Hi all , am facing dead end to this issue .... Hmm now I am planning to buy novation launchpad 49/61 to use it with my IPAd 4. However I also want to hear what I am recording through my hs50m's which are connected to scarlett 6i6 ... So basically I want to route novation keyboard through scarlett which is connected to ipad4 any idea on workable solution to this ...
Old 24th August 2014
Here for the gear

Old 24th August 2014
Here for the gear

Old 16th January 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Scarlet 6i6 with iPhone anyone?

Anyone at Focusrite,

I am buying the Scarlett 6i6, and in the specs it says it is iPad compatible, but not iPhone compatible. I don't have an iPad and don't plan on buying one either. However, both the iPad and the iPhone use the same iOS, so why can't the iPhone be used with the Scarlett 6i6, then? It would be very useful for me since I need to record the lectures I give, and I can't travel with my Mac Pro for that purpose. Are there any plans to make it iPhone compatible? It could simply be recognized by the iPhone and some recording app, too. Can you help?

With kind regards,

Bernie (BMil)
Old 18th January 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

More info on the Scarlett 6i6 mod please

Quote:
Hi Focusrite,

I love this unit now!!

Best regards,
Saxon
Hi Saxon,

The mod you are talking about is quite amazing . I am sure a lot of people would like to make the mod you are talking about, starting with me. Can you provide pictures and explanations to the best interest of the community?

With kind regards,

Bernard (BMil)
Old 19th January 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMil View Post
Hi Saxon,

The mod you are talking about is quite amazing . I am sure a lot of people would like to make the mod you are talking about, starting with me. Can you provide pictures and explanations to the best interest of the community?

With kind regards,

Bernard (BMil)
Oops, I don't have pictures to show and I do not want to open up the thing again just to shoot the pictures.

As far as I can remember, you'd have to remove the nuts and screws on all the connectors at the rear. Remove the back panel and use a long flat head screwdriver from the rear to release the catch of the front panel before the board can slide out from the front.

On the board, you will see quite a number of NJM4565 (7 or 8 of them on the output stages if I recall correctly). I would recommend to replace them all with the LM4562 in the SOIC-8 package. They are pin to pin replacements, so it's a matter of just soldering and desoldering.

There are also several (2?) TL072 in the input stage which might benefit from the LM4562 also.

I might also consider to replace the headphone drivers (I can't remember if they were NJM4556?) with LMH6643 or AD8397. When I do get to that, I will remember to take some pictures.

Last edited by lsisaxon; 19th January 2015 at 03:44 AM..
Old 19th January 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Scarlett 6i6 opamps mod

Quote:
Oops, I don't have pictures to show and I do not want to open up the thing again just to shoot the pictures.

As far as I can remember, you'd have to remove the nuts and screws on all the connectors at the rear. Remove the back panel and use a long flat head screwdriver from the rear to release the catch of the front panel before the board can slide out from the front.

On the board, you will see quite a number of NJM4565 (7 or 8 of them on the output stages if I recall correctly). I would recommend to replace them all with the LM4562 in the SOIC-8 package. They are pin to pin replacements, so it's a matter of just soldering and desoldering.

There are also several (2?) TL072 in the input stage which might benefit from the LM4562 also.

I might also consider to replace the headphone drivers (I can't remember if they were NJM4556?) with LMH6643 or AD8397. When I do get to that, I will remember to take some pictures.
Many thanks for the details! If the opamps are direct replacements, it is fairly simple, then. My soldering iron skills are quite acute.

Of course, when you get to the headphone drivers, pictures would come handy for the benefit of the community.

Again many thanks for your help. You rock

Cheers,

Bernard (BMil)
Old 21st February 2016
Here for the gear

Question

I'm thinking of getting an 18i8 but everywhere I read about direct monitoring it only says that it is for the headphones, even in the manual I downloaded. Surely can direct monitor through monitors out can't you?????

Copied from the manual.
"The Scarlett 18i8, in conjunction with Scarlett MixControl, allows “Direct Monitoring”, which
overcomes this problem. You can route your input signals directly to any of the Scarlett 18i8’s
headphone outputs. This enables the musicians to hear themselves with ultra-low latency – i.e.,
effectively in “real time” – along with the computer playback. The input signals to the computer are
not affected in any way by this setting."

It seems crazy if you can't.
Cheers

Last edited by GMC Phil; 21st February 2016 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Formatting
Old 1st January 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC Phil View Post
I'm thinking of getting an 18i8 but everywhere I read about direct monitoring it only says that it is for the headphones, even in the manual I downloaded. Surely can direct monitor through monitors out can't you?????

It seems crazy if you can't.
Cheers
You can route your inputs directly to any of the outputs, either as a mix or directly from input to output.
Old 1st January 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks,
I got one, that post was back in February
Old 17th March 2017
Gear Head
I am considering doing the opamp upgrade on my 6i6. My soldering chops i would describe as medium. I have replaced valve sockets, upgraded the opamps on my Boss GE-7 (through hole) and have done some mods on smd pedals. Im using a dedicated headphone amp so wont need to upgrade those outputs, so i would be looking at replacing all the NJM4565's with LM4562MA's.

The basic goal would be to improve my rmaa results.

im not at all confident though... attached is a pic i found of some opamps from a 2i2.

i assume the process for replacing the opamps is

1. desolder each pin from existing opamp (should i use ribbon or a sucker for this?)

2. remove opamp and remove any remaining solder from the smd trace pads.

3. place the new opamp in and solder each pad.

My equipment is a generic 20 watt soldering iron, generic solder, and a magnifying glass. The local supplier wants NZ $57 for 10 LM4562MA's but i can get them for far less of ebay - are these cheap ebay ones likely to be inferior?

Does anyone have suggestions on the best process for the opamp replacement?

thansinadv...
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scarlett opamps.bmp (128.3 KB, 526 views)
📝 Reply