The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB Tanzbär Drumcomputer
Old 5th September 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
From MFB support:

You need the step mode. Press and hold shift plus step 15, now press step15 until the red led flash. Then save with the select button. Now you are able to program each step with different parameters.

From user Skawa:

1) go to step mode rec + instrument.
2)then hold down select and hit the steps you want to plock. the steps selected will then blink letting you know their editable .
3)change your prams decay, tune, attack ect.. you will hear only the steps that are blinking change.
4) to lockem in hit select the step lights will stop blinking and save your changes
5) if you want more diffrent plock steps just repeat from number 2 ( ie hold select + hit the steps you want to edit.)

note: When you select the steps for edit ( ie select+steps) the only changes that will occur are what knobs you move. this allows you to change just the decay on say the b drum, with the rest of the sound in tack .

I've no problems allocating different values per step. There is also a function pressing shift + 11 (knob rec). Really can't get that working at all, shame as everything else seems fine!
Old 6th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard View Post
semi off topic: I'm in the US. Any way to figure what the import tax would be? Looks like MFB charges 750Euro via paypal. Does paypal add fees for the currency conversion? Trying to figure out what the final price would be.
i'm in Canada. recieved my Tanzbar last week... in CDN $ it was
$1040 to MFB via Paypal
$0110 to the post office (customs)

$1150 total.
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks like I've got one of these headed my way... Hope any bug issues are easily addressed through software updates!
Old 6th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidyzer View Post
Anyone figured out knob record? Got everything working except this. Tanzbar rocks, most fun tr type drum machine I've used
Here is one method (post #13): https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...b-tanzbar.html
Old 7th September 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazor View Post
Thanks lazor will try this out I literally sat for 2 days with the manual trying to figure every last thing out, reading it about 100 times! flying around it now. Worth the effort
Old 3rd November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Just got the Tanzbar! played with it for a bit sounds amazing and has nice character. only problem is Midi clock sync. I have it going into Midi in 2 and syncs with start/stop/continue but always off in timing cant get it to hard sync to Ableton Tempo. Tried with Logic a little better but still some delay. Also tried the individual outs so I guess the prob is from MIDI sync. I used the Shift Step 13 still no luck. Just emailed MFB. will post videos soon as well.

Cheers!!
Old 3rd November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Have you got some other hardware that syncs with your daws? If you have other hardware maybe you can try to sync them. I found Daws sync with hardware to be really really bad :(
Old 3rd November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas989 View Post
Just got the Tanzbar! played with it for a bit sounds amazing and has nice character. only problem is Midi clock sync. I have it going into Midi in 2 and syncs with start/stop/continue but always off in timing cant get it to hard sync to Ableton Tempo. Tried with Logic a little better but still some delay. Also tried the individual outs so I guess the prob is from MIDI sync. I used the Shift Step 13 still no luck. Just emailed MFB. will post videos soon as well.

Cheers!!
It really depends on your computer hardware and soundcard. Using RME UCX with Ableton Live 9 on a MacBook Pro 2011 here, the Tanzbär is perfectly tight with Live. It's a complex topic, but I can assure you the drum machine is not at fault here. There's a few different things you can try:
- Direct monitoring (i.e. monitor the Tanzbär through an analog console, or if your soundcard supports direct monitoring), and turn Monitor to OFF on the relevant tracks in Live.
- Software monitoring (i.e. monitor set to Auto in Live), but adjust the MIDI Clock delay to match the soundcard latency. You can play a kick drum on the MFB againt Live's metronome and adjust the clock offset in realtime. Get them in sync. (in Live / Preferences / MIDI Sync / <Output MIDI Port> / [Clock]
Old 3rd November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbugayev View Post
It really depends on your computer hardware and soundcard. Using RME UCX with Ableton Live 9 on a MacBook Pro 2011 here, the Tanzbär is perfectly tight with Live. It's a complex topic, but I can assure you the drum machine is not at fault here. There's a few different things .......
THX @nickbugayev that sure did the trick!

Im using a Saffire Pro 14, using the Saffire software Mixcontrol there is an option for 0 latency tracking. Now its perfectly in sync with Live when i hit monitor off. and record without software monitor. Much appreciated !!

Was messin around last night (w/out the computer) with Tanzbar & PM Foundation.

Cheers!!
Old 27th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skawa View Post
Yep thats right, unless your using tanzbar as the master in which case the tanzbar controls the stop an play.
By default, if you connect anything to its MIDI Out, the Tanzbär will be recognized as Master, and if you plug anything to its MIDI ins, it will act as slave? What if there's MIDI in+out, does it behave like MIDI through?
I'm sorry but since you can't change its clock mode (like on my current Tempest), I'd like to understand more before I make the switch to the Tanzbär... Thanks!
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I have been having serious issues with my Tanzbar of late. The machine completely froze (few LEDs stay lit, buttons don't respond) while in operation about a month ago. Following a power cycle the unit would not power on AT ALL (PSU perfect). I returned it to the vendor under warranty, and just received it back this morning. Imagine my dismay to power it up, only to see the same "Tom" LEDs are lit red, and all the buttons are still unresponsive (junk?).
I can't speak for whoever did this repair (?) job, but it would seem they omitted a functionality test from their procedure. Either that, or the unit is flaky as hell.

Awaiting response from vendor... again
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Anyone know how to record the note repeat into a pattern in Tanzbar?
Old 8th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy101 View Post
Anyone know how to record the note repeat into a pattern in Tanzbar?
hit shift and record roll(step 10) then toggle the light

Roll Record:
This a kind of an ”add on“ feature to the Roll function. When Roll Record is enabled, a roll
is played again in each new pattern loop, even when you release the Step/Instrument
button. By holding down Shift and the corresponding Instrument button, the rolls will be
erased again.
To enable the Roll Record function:

Hold
Shift
+ press
Roll Rec
(Step 10).

Press
Roll Rec
(Step 10) again. The button toggles between Roll Record off (LED
green) and Roll Record on (LED red).

Press
Select
to
confirm
and
close
the
function.
Steps recorded with the Roll Record function can be edited in Step Record Mode just like
any other steps (please see page 18)
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Some Tanzbär jams I've recorded
[accompanied by my DSI Tempest for bass+melodies, a Juno 106 loop, Jomox T-Resonator & FXpansion Bloom for FX].

https://soundcloud.com/jorgenstil/iz...aar-am/s-G9iBC

https://soundcloud.com/jorgenstil/ta...l-diep/s-Sr0iq

https://soundcloud.com/jorgenstil/ju...improv/s-MLBGn

for demonstration purposes only (i.e. just jamming and exploring the sound capabilities and interactions of the machines)
Old 11th August 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Tanzbar doesn't sync to clock only

Been driving the Tanzbaer with an Elektron Octatrack. When I have both Transport and Clock out enabled on the OT the 'baer syncs perfectly, however with clock only there is no sync at all. According to the manual it should always be receiving clock, and able to be started/stopped on the downbeat of the next bar.

Is this an issue with the OT, or am I missing a setting on the Tanzbaer, or what?
📝 Reply