The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Musikmesse: Audient iD22 HIGH PERFORMANCE AD/DA INTERFACE & MONITORING SYSTEM
Old 30th July 2013
Gear Addict
Bumparello on release date and my previous post
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry just to clarify, let's say I buy this and a ASP008 unit. Will I be able to run all 10 mic inputs at 96kHz simultaneously?

Also, great to see such dedicated, real replies from the company
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

At least we can see ID22 in its package, that´s something

https://es-es.facebook.com/Audient

Now let´s wait for its Windows drivers
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear
Nice, must be getting close now. I really want to try one of these out.
Old 6th August 2013
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

I saw this video with a rock band called Kielo, although it does not show the process of the band recording the song, it´s well made and, to me, the song is quite good, congratulations to the band!

Audient iD22 - Kielo - YouTube
Old 12th August 2013
Deleted 81eeeea
Can the headphone amp provide a couple of watts of output without any clipping ?
Old 16th August 2013
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by audeze View Post
Waiting for it . I will buy it for sure .

Could you give us more information about the headphone amp like
Volts RMS , Output impedance , Output power , Signal to Noise Ratio , Frequency response , Distortion , suitable headphone impedance ,Gain ....

Thank you
Hi Audeze,

thanks for your questions - I will come back to you with some of the specs you ask but for now you can refer to the specifications as found here (the headphone amp is included there and will drive 32-600ohms phones well:

http://audient.com/sites/default/fil...tions_v1.1.pdf

I take it by your username you are using Audeze LCD headphones?

Best,
Tom
Old 16th August 2013
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Russ. View Post
Bumparello on release date and my previous post
Hi Russ, apologies about not being around on GS for a bit. It's been quite busy.

We have shipped the first batch to dealers - so check with your nearest dealer if you want to get a demo!

We're still Mac only (OSX 10.6.8 or later) so please bear that in mind.

Specs and performance numbers wise - please refer to our website or the link in the post above.

Best,
Tom
Old 16th August 2013
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuRnitUpsuM View Post
Hi Tom,

iD22 is shaping up to be a fantastic interface. (i am really looking forward to hearing one and getting hands on experience).

the quote.. well,
i cant help myself in sharing an idea or two (excited Audient is taking steps into the interface realm).

ok, so here goes..

19" rackmountable. (similar build to ASP008).
USB 2.0
4 channels of mico (channel 1) (hmx) micamp.
Send/Return on each micamp. (rear Panel)
4 channels of balanced line input. (trs).
16 channels of Adat. I/O (duplex).
word clock on BNC connectors. I/O.
Midi I/O
2 headphone outputs. (Independant controls, Dacs) Front panel.
8 balanced line outs. (trs). (including Mon/ALt Outs for price point targetting)
Stereo AES/EBU (2 In/Out duplex).
recessed power button. (front panel)
Horizontal Metering (k-14) under each channel of micamp.. as many segments as possible within real-estate available.

eg.

II <hpf button ((ch 1 knob)) ((hmx knob)) II <In button
II <phantom button
II <phase button .............................................. <meter

^ x's 4 channels across front panel.

icing on the cake?
ethernet port for iD22 (size - controls) connection for monitor remote.

oh pretty please?
Audients take on a studio all in one.

cheers.
Hi! Thanks so much for your comments and ideas!

Best,
Tom
Old 16th August 2013
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
Sorry just to clarify, let's say I buy this and a ASP008 unit. Will I be able to run all 10 mic inputs at 96kHz simultaneously?

Also, great to see such dedicated, real replies from the company
Hi James - again apologies about the late reply.

If you connect an ASP008 to iD22 - you can run all 10 input channels at and upto 48kHz, however the ADAT input will drop to 4 channels at higher rates so your input channels will drop to 6.

So many of our customers work at 48kHz or lower so this was a compromise that had to be made from a space point of view. 96kHz is supported for smaller channel counts.

Best,
Tom
Old 16th August 2013
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtripper View Post
Nice, must be getting close now. I really want to try one of these out.
As mentioned - it's shipped! So contact your local dealers.

Thanks.
Old 16th August 2013
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by audeze View Post
Can the headphone amp provide a couple of watts of output without any clipping ?
Hi Audeze - I will confirm and get back to you.

-Tom
Old 16th August 2013
Company Rep

OK last post from me for a bit.

Just to say that if you haven't watched it already - we shot a video with band, Kielo - one song in one day.

All tracked in an old hall (amazing sounding) with just an ASP008 and iD22. The point here was to show that iD22 can be the hub of a small but powerful, high quality setup and get great results even in unusual situations! Instead of talking about it for hours - we thought you could hear some actual end product instead!

I then mixed it ITB using just an iD22 for monitor control. Worked great!

The iD22 mic preamp is the same as ASP008 so what you hear is true to both products. Once the drums were down, we stacked all other parts (guitars, bass and vocals) via iD22 mostly just using an MD421!

You can read my blog which details all recording info, has some photos of the session (mic setup etc) and a link to unprocessed and processed audio clips as well as the high-res song!

Audient, A little photo diary of the iD22 Kielo recording...

Or head straight to our soundcloud account for clips if you don't want to read my waffle... https://soundcloud.com/audientworld

Luke also made a video which describes the features in more detail. I'll have online video manuals coming soon too as well as other cool content!

For more information on iD22 please check out the user manual, block diagrams, specifications and brochure found on our website.

http://audient.com/sites/default/fil...anual_v1.3.pdf
http://audient.com/sites/default/fil...agram_v1.0.pdf
http://audient.com/sites/default/fil...tions_v1.1.pdf

Don't forget to come and join us on Facebook where you can enter to win serial number 0001 currently!!

https://www.facebook.com/Audient

Best,
Tom
Old 17th August 2013
Gear Head

The id22 sounds fantastic (judging by the posted youtube video). I was excited until I found out it was mac only right now.

Is there any time frame on windows compatibility?
Old 17th August 2013
it seems units are shipping already, has anyone tried one?
Old 17th August 2013
Lives for gear

Hi Tom,

Gareth came and demo'd this earlier in the week. The build quality is very solid and the performance on paper is about as good as anything costing considerably more. The sound quality is super and i think you're onto a real winner with these. Think we ended up ordering two units. The software is also very easy on the user and smooth in operation.
Old 19th August 2013
Company Rep

Thanks euphoria89!

That's great to hear! The software was designed to be easily visible and have no menu diving. My normal experience juggling of a DAW and an interface mixer app mid session is a pain so we tried to remove that as best as possible!

You can even label your channels like you would with a sharpie on console tape! ;-)

Later
-Tom
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

Hi Tom, I know it´s hard to have an approximate answer to this, but, when do you expect the Win driver to be ready, maybe in autumn or winter?
Old 26th August 2013
Gear Addict
Where are the reviews?

Really keen to know how the id22 compares/performs to the Duet 2 and UCX.
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear
This has serious competition from the Babyface, Duet, Forte, Metric Halo ULN-2 and Sound Devices USBPre 2.
Old 27th August 2013
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Hi Tom, I know it´s hard to have an approximate answer to this, but, when do you expect the Win driver to be ready, maybe in autumn or winter?
I'm really not able to announce any date for Windows support as previously mentioned. We do appreciate the amount of Windows users who are looking at iD22 and we are doing something about it, however it wouldn't be fair to either youself or us to estimate a date to satisfy your question at this stage.

As soon as I have concrete information I will re-post it here.

Best
-Tom
Old 27th August 2013
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Russ. View Post
Where are the reviews?

Really keen to know how the id22 compares/performs to the Duet 2 and UCX.
Hi Russ, reviews will be on their way shortly (magazines) - in the mean time I will tell you that many of our beta testers have prefered iD22 to most of the boxes mentioned in the last post sonically.

In the meantime, here's a new video that showcases the quality of the micpres and ADC.

Audient iD22 - Dorry Macaulay - YouTube

Best,
-Tom
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hi James - again apologies about the late reply.

If you connect an ASP008 to iD22 - you can run all 10 input channels at and upto 48kHz, however the ADAT input will drop to 4 channels at higher rates so your input channels will drop to 6.

So many of our customers work at 48kHz or lower so this was a compromise that had to be made from a space point of view. 96kHz is supported for smaller channel counts.

Best,
Tom
thanks for getting back to me, great communication! (something that gets overlooked in this day and age and goes a long way!)

I'm pretty tempted to upgrade my home setup (student, just a Focusrite 2i2 at the moment which isn't fantastic) and this could be ideal. I need to have a good think.

Cheers!
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Also, one more important question. Is it possible to use an external pre-amp with this interface via the line inputs? (for the odd occasion when you need something with a bit more 'colour')

Last edited by JamesClark1991; 28th August 2013 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: .
Old 28th August 2013
Company Rep

Hi James,

yes this is no problem, just patch your external mic pre into the insert return jack. This completely bypasses the audient mic amp (not a padded line input like many other interfaces) and allows you to patch your flavour mic pre directly into the ADC with the purest signal path possible.

You can still use the audient mic amps as they will always be available in the analogue domain at the insert send jacks.

Best,
Tom
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear
Is there a specific reason why the AD only 24/96. Not 24/192 like a lot stuff?
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi James,

yes this is no problem, just patch your external mic pre into the insert return jack. This completely bypasses the audient mic amp (not a padded line input like many other interfaces) and allows you to patch your flavour mic pre directly into the ADC with the purest signal path possible.

You can still use the audient mic amps as they will always be available in the analogue domain at the insert send jacks.

Best,
Tom
Thanks for the reply Tom! Good to know I'd have the option. One follow up question though, with the ASP008 combined 10 channels would be available. Am I right in thinking I could add an extra two external pre-amps via the iD22's two insert returns to make a total of 12 channels? or have I misunderstood? (forgive my weird questions, I'm still learning heh )

Last edited by JamesClark1991; 29th August 2013 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: .
Old 29th August 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Hi Russ, reviews will be on their way shortly (magazines) - in the mean time I will tell you that many of our beta testers have prefered iD22 to most of the boxes mentioned in the last post sonically.

In the meantime, here's a new video that showcases the quality of the micpres and ADC.

Audient iD22 - Dorry Macaulay - YouTube

Best,
-Tom
Tom

Cheers for your response.

What A/D D/A chips are you using in the id22?
Old 29th August 2013
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Is there a specific reason why the AD only 24/96. Not 24/192 like a lot stuff?
Hi miscend.

There are several reasons why not. Most people tend to stick to sample rates below 96kHz in any situation we see, aside from several clients who are being asked to do classical sessions at 192kHz it's certainly not very common.

Also we have tended to agree with Dan Lavry et al, and see little technical improvement above 96kHz for audio - however there are some and they all come with trade-offs/design decisions.

However, the main reason iD22 tops out at 96kHz is that we wanted to ensure full channel count at all rates over usb with no issues and 192kHz would have required more CPU grunt for low latency mixer and all of the other processing threads that we are doing.

Best,
Tom
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear