The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DMGAudio EQuilibrium
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
1) How on earth do you put a band in M/S mode?
Either hover over the node in the analyzer window to get the node context window to pop up (click the option to chose from Stereo, Mid, Side), or select from the frequency strip (it's in the strip's upper half, right under EQ type IIRC).

//Sven
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg64 View Post
Either hover over the node in the analyzer window to get the node context window to pop up (click the option to chose from Stereo, Mid, Side), or select from the frequency strip (it's in the strip's upper half, right under EQ type IIRC).

//Sven
Tried those, I only see Stereo / LR...?

Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Ah, found the option:

Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, found the option:

Nice one.

I have a hard time remembering which settings were prefs I set early on, and which were default settings. I found it all somewhat overwhelming at first, but it's been my goto EQ pretty much since launch for both tracks and buss duty.

I saved a couple of default starting points as separate presets for different tasks to improve my workflow, but I just quickly browsed through the manual again and suspect I need to add a couple of more.

//Sven
Old 8th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
2) Is there a way to set the width of the knob strip (or freq graph) for a preset? I don't like it scrolling.
I don't think so…
But you can set the UI size per preset.
(Larger UI can display more strips)
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg64 View Post
Nice one.

I have a hard time remembering which settings were prefs I set early on, and which were default settings. I found it all somewhat overwhelming at first, but it's been my goto EQ pretty much since launch for both tracks and buss duty.

I saved a couple of default starting points as separate presets for different tasks to improve my workflow, but I just quickly browsed through the manual again and suspect I need to add a couple of more.

//Sven
Same, but I think it's time I RTFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assessor View Post
I don't think so…
But you can set the UI size per preset.
(Larger UI can display more strips)
Thanks!
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Head

Hello,

everytime i open up Equilibrium it defaults to -9.31db for some reason.

Does anyone have the same?

I've looked through all the settings but can't see any reason for it!
Is there anything i can try?- It's not a big deal, but can be a bit confusing if i forget and then suddenly something is much quieter than it was before..Would prefer it if it was just normal!
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfield View Post
Hello,

everytime i open up Equilibrium it defaults to -9.31db for some reason.

Does anyone have the same?

I've looked through all the settings but can't see any reason for it!
Is there anything i can try?- It's not a big deal, but can be a bit confusing if i forget and then suddenly something is much quieter than it was before..Would prefer it if it was just normal!
Have you set that as your default via the DAW perhaps?

Of not, reset it to zero then save as default.
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Have you set that as your default via the DAW perhaps?

Of not, reset it to zero then save as default.
Haha fixed, thanks! I didn't think about saving things as default.
Old 30th May 2020
Gear Head

after testing it for some days i today bought the equilibrium and the trackcomp. very happy so far. Does someone know which settings in the equilibrium will give me the most "grabby,handy,firm,snappy"eq like a uad cambridge ?
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfisch123 View Post
after testing it for some days i today bought the equilibrium and the trackcomp. very happy so far. Does someone know which settings in the equilibrium will give me the most "grabby,handy,firm,snappy"eq like a uad cambridge ?
IIR, no compensation
Old 6th June 2020
Gear Addict
@ b0se - in some thread (probably MAAT's) you mentioned spectrograms settings -- would you mind sharing them here as well?
Old 6th June 2020
Lives for gear

Sure.

Example below is Delicate, mixed by Serban Ghenea:

Settings:

Old 6th June 2020
Lives for gear

I'm running Equilibrium on an iMac Pro and I'm noticing that when I create an EQ point and sweep frequencies up and down the spectrum, it's very slow in terms of the frame rate of the GUI. It's almost like it's micro stuttering along as I sweep. It's not nearly smooth as say Fabfilter or Eiosis when I use those. Anyone else notice this?
Old 15th August 2020
Gear Addict
Why would one use FIR instead of IIR(512+phase) in Equilibrium if LP or free phase is not needed?

In FIR you need very long kernels to accurately work with low frequencies. And top end near Nyquist seems very good on Equilibrium.

I also did null tests and there is some difference when comparing iir to fir around -60db, but I am not sure what causes this. Probably needed a lokger kernel for the low boost..?
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
I love Equilibrium. It is astonishingly good and incredibly flexible.

I use it on all key tracks in FIR mode with varying impulse lengths. The window options are amazing too. Subtle but very noticeable.

I also replaced Clariphonic and now BAX EQ with Equilibrium as a final polish/tweak in mastering. Much more flexible and better sound.

(Anyone want to buy my PA BAX EQ? :D )

Looking forward to the update.

I also love and use Essence for so many things, but hardly ever for de-essing.
Pls share pic of the setting you use for BAX replacement.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

After experimenting with the frequencies of Clariphonic, I stopped trying to recreate it and just went for various mid/side shelf boosts at appropriate frequencies for the song. So I don't have a specific preset per se, I just used the concept of Clariphonic within EQuilibrium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziko123 View Post
Pls share pic of the setting you use for BAX replacement.
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
After experimenting with the frequencies of Clariphonic, I stopped trying to recreate it and just went for various mid/side shelf boosts at appropriate frequencies for the song. So I don't have a specific preset per se, I just used the concept of Clariphonic within EQuilibrium.
Btw about various settings, to simplify if i am not using Linear phase Eq

1) Analog with highest samples for rendering
2) Analog with zero Latency but experimenting sample size till no crackle & CPU load

are the best sounding settings for quality and usability, respectively.

Analog is the only mode where the analog hardware curves will sound the best and authentic.

Am I right ?
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Btw about various settings, to simplify if i am not using Linear phase Eq

1) Analog with highest samples for rendering
2) Analog with zero Latency but experimenting sample size till no crackle & CPU load

are the best sounding settings for quality and usability, respectively.

Analog is the only mode where the analog hardware curves will sound the best and authentic.

Am I right ?
If you mean sound like Clariphonic then probably the Analog mode is best. But I experimented and I like the linear phase mode with very high sample settings.
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Maniac

@ Macaroni I meant as in general usage.

Linear phase mode, thins out the sound while cutting. That's my experience, with every linear phase plugin.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ Macaroni I meant as in general usage.

Linear phase mode, thins out the sound while cutting. That's my experience, with every linear phase plugin.
It always boils down to a matter of taste and I prefer linear phase, but either one is excellent in DMG.
Old 15th September 2020
Here for the gear

Btw, about ZL Analogue mode

Why does HP filter do weird thing in this mode? With default settings (or even with Scorb's LL Analogue Mix EQ preset) the frequency response looks really weird, like it's hi-passing and dipping above selected frequency at the same time. 8192 and x8 can help with that, but by default it doesn't look good

No need for Plugin Doctor as you can see what's going on in the analyzer, or by ears. I took some screenshots anyway. It's that preset with default settings (1024 and x1) and then clean IIR. Okay, and PD screenshot too

Am i doing something wrong or don't understand how things work?
Attached Thumbnails
DMGAudio EQuilibrium-zl-analogue.png   DMGAudio EQuilibrium-iir.png   DMGAudio EQuilibrium-pd-ll.png  
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Addict
Kip Casey,
For precise curves use more than 1024 FIR, usually 65k or more. 1024 is low precision.
Kaiser function.
Old 20th September 2020
Here for the gear

Hey!

Does anyone know how to configure a default preset for equilibrium when you add it to a channel? Being so talented I managed to somehow save a default preset that pops up every time I open it and now I need to clear it before I can use it however for the life of me I don't remember how I did it :/

Thanks!
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fustrun View Post
Hey!

Does anyone know how to configure a default preset for equilibrium when you add it to a channel? Being so talented I managed to somehow save a default preset that pops up every time I open it and now I need to clear it before I can use it however for the life of me I don't remember how I did it :/

Thanks!
You go into Setup / Global Preferences and then hit the 'Save' box at the bottom of that menu. It says something like "Save current state as default".. hit that button and this will be the default preset and complete setup that pops up when you open EQuilibrium.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
You go into Setup / Global Preferences and then hit the 'Save' box at the bottom of that menu. It says something like "Save current state as default".. hit that button and this will be the default preset and complete setup that pops up when you open EQuilibrium.
Thanks so much it works!
📝 Reply