The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DMGAudio EQuilibrium
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble View Post
Hi,

I'm worried I've been misleading. Dynamic EQ did happen today, but it's not part of EQuilibrium. []DMG Audio : Products : Multiplicity

Sorry if I did a wrong.

Dave.
Wooohooo! Have you started a new thread to announce it? (NVM, found it).

Alistair
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
Based in part on a whole bunch of multiple threads reading last night and this morning, I am considering picking up both EQuilibrium and the newly released Softube Weiss DS1-MK3. The majority opinion (verging on consensus) I pick up on is that doing so would let me call the mastering (and possibly even 2-bus) phase of things 'done and done,' at least when it comes to eq / compression-limiting.

The Weiss is highly tempting in its own right, but my posting here is to ask a question specifically on the EQuilibrium front: I have been seriously musing over a pair of new top-notch Pultec EQP-1A clones (that also combine the essentials of the midrange MEQ-5 into the layout), both for tracking / mixing and also subtly on mastering. Can anyone compare the Pultec curves in EQuilibrium and (per Dave Gamble) adding a 'saturation' plugin to the chain after DMG to supply that side of things (i.e., one of the Kush transformers, Slate Virtual Tube Collection, Soundtoys, Black Box HG-2...) with the real thing (actual Pultec, not another clone)?

(When it comes to tracking, I do have a variety of tube mics, pre's and compressors, and transformers to go along with vintage and high end SS to provide a variety of colors and feels on the way in)

I currently have and love Brainworx' digital EQ v3 just before TC Powercore MD3 at the end of my mastering chain (I am *not* a mastering guy, but do do so when asked and feel it would be a fit to the project). On the EQ front, I also have UAD Massenburg MDWEQ5, UAD Millennia NSEQ, FF Pro-Q2, among others -plus 2 hardware Alta-Moda EQ-25-'s. How much more would DMG EQuilibrium bring to the table specifically re the pultec curves? (I realize it's *far* more flexible and powerful all the way around, and I may end up picking it up anyway -just trying to sort the Pultec side of things for the moment).
Once a year I tend to brush up on equilibrium tricks and see what new I can learn (SUCH a deep plug). In using plugin doctor and some other Pultec emulations, it appears that .2 db of boost with the Pultec low shelf is actually 1db. Then it matches absolutely perfectly! Also, 2db of the Pultec high "shelf" is really like 1db of other Pultec plugs. Again, the q/shape matches perfectly.
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

It states in the manual that the EQ models are exact according to the circuit designs.

Does that also include the various transformers and tubes associated with those units, etc?

Does anyone know the exact details about the modeling and how deep it goes?
Old 19th March 2019
Deleted 691ca21 
Pretty sure Dave Gamble mentioned somewhere that the only thing that was modelled were the EQ curve shapes. None of the other stuff: tubes, transformers, chokes, other components, saturation etc. were modelled.
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 691ca21 View Post
Pretty sure Dave Gamble mentioned somewhere that the only thing that was modelled were the EQ curve shapes. None of the other stuff: tubes, transformers, chokes, other components, saturation etc. were modelled.
I just checked the manual again and you are correct.

I have plenty of saturation plugins to add that kind of mojo, so it's not an issue. I was just curious.
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Few new features/fixes for you... Meet EQuilibrium 1.50...

Autogain feature with 4 weightings and M/S balance mode.
I'm aware this is a long time ago but I never fully understood the difference between the weighting options
Maybe someone who knows more can explain. Dave maybe chimes in?
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by melopie View Post
I'm aware this is a long time ago but I never fully understood the difference between the weighting options
Maybe someone who knows more can explain. Dave maybe chimes in?
No problemo
  • White assumes a spectrally white input. Think of this weighting as 'traditional' autogain.
  • Pink assumes a spectrally pink input. This weighting may be more useful if you're using EQuilibrium on a full mix because full mixes generally tend towards the spectrum of pink noise rather than the spectrum of white noise.
  • White+1770 biases the White Autogain Weighting with the ITU1770 RLB weighting curve to account for the way humans perceive loudness.
  • Pink+1770 biases the Pink Autogain Weighting with the ITU1770 RLB weighting curve to account for the way humans perceive loudness.
The four options allow you to select the most appropriate Autogain Weighting for your source material/needs. I always find myself using White+1770 but YMMV.

Tip: I generally use MeterPlugs excellent plug-in Perception in place of EQuilibrium's autogain function if I'm using extreme EQ settings or if I want to fine tune settings to the nth degree.

Last edited by Mimieux; 11th May 2019 at 02:19 AM.. Reason: Added tip re: Meterplugs Perception
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimieux View Post
No problemo
  • White assumes a spectrally white input. Think of this weighting as 'traditional' autogain.
  • Pink assumes a spectrally pink input. This weighting may be more useful if you're using EQuilibrium on a full mix because full mixes generally tend towards the spectrum of pink noise rather than the spectrum of white noise.
  • White+1770 biases the White Autogain Weighting with the ITU1770 RLB weighting curve to account for the way humans perceive loudness.
  • Pink+1770 biases the Pink Autogain Weighting with the ITU1770 RLB weighting curve to account for the way humans perceive loudness.
The four options allow you to select the most appropriate Autogain Weighting for your source material/needs. I always find myself using White+1770 but YMMV.

Tip: I generally use MeterPlugs excellent plug-in Perception in place of EQuilibrium's autogain function if I'm using extreme EQ settings or if I want to fine tune settings to the nth degree.
Awesome. You have my deepest thanks
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear
Can anyone please explain how autogain in eq work? If we are boosting does the eq just lowers the output gain for compensation or it alter the output's of individual bands? I have seen manuals for both fabfilter and Dmg Equilibrium but nothing on this topic.
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
Can anyone please explain how autogain in eq work? If we are boosting does the eq just lowers the output gain for compensation or it alter the output's of individual bands? I have seen manuals for both fabfilter and Dmg Equilibrium but nothing on this topic.
I'm pretty sure it adjusts the Output volume only and not the individual bands.
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

I've been experimenting with Chebyshev and Elliptic filters with a 48db slope. I see the ripples, but I'm not hearing anything unfavorable in the audio.

I don't hear any ringing either. The ripples appear to be around .25db - .5db so they're not terribly big.

When comparing them to the same slope on Butterworth filters, which have no ripples, I prefer the sound of the Chebyshev and Elliptic to the Butterworth. They seem more alive.

I've just started reading about these various filter types so I'm new to this topic. Any insights are welcomed.

One more thing: What exactly does 'Impulse padding' do, and what does Window parameter do?

@ DaveGamble .

Here are some screen shots. Note: I've got the range set to 3db so the ripples look a lot bigger than they would if the display range was 6db or 12db.
Attached Thumbnails
DMGAudio EQuilibrium-screen-shot-2019-06-23-3.56.27-pm.jpg   DMGAudio EQuilibrium-screen-shot-2019-06-23-3.57.59-pm.jpg  
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
I've been experimenting with Chebyshev and Elliptic filters with a 48db slope. I see the ripples, but I'm not hearing anything unfavorable in the audio.

I don't hear any ringing either. The ripples appear to be around .25db - .5db so they're not terribly big.

When comparing them to the same slope on Butterworth filters, which have no ripples, I prefer the sound of the Chebyshev and Elliptic to the Butterworth. They seem more alive.

I've just started reading about these various filter types so I'm new to this topic. Any insights are welcomed.

One more thing: What exactly does 'Impulse padding' do, and what does Window parameter do?

@ DaveGamble .

Here are some screen shots. Note: I've got the range set to 3db so the ripples look a lot bigger than they would if the display range was 6db or 12db.
Curious about this too.

In online discussions about EQs, people often make it seem as filter ripple and things like pre/post ring are super obvious. I for instance looked for a pre-ring example, and all I found was a file with a Linear Phase bell filter applied to a snare, [email protected] freq=250Hz, Q=20. It had really obvious pre-ring, but what about real-life situations? My hunch is that filter ripple is of the same magnitude.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

I've continued testing these various filters, as well as reading about them to understand them better.

Bottom line: In the mix, I can hear a definite difference between the Elliptic and Butterworth filters, and I now prefer the Butterworth. The net result is tighter and more focused in the mix re each instrument with Butterworth filters.
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I've continued testing these various filters, as well as reading about them to understand them better.

Bottom line: In the mix, I can hear a definite difference between the Elliptic and Butterworth filters, and I now prefer the Butterworth. The net result is tighter and more focused in the mix re each instrument with Butterworth filters.
Can you post a link to the snare example? I also find pre-ringing artifacts and such very difficult to pinpoint. At least I think so, maybe im hearing it and dont know that what im identifying is actually pre-ringing...
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorock View Post
Can you post a link to the snare example? I also find pre-ringing artifacts and such very difficult to pinpoint. At least I think so, maybe im hearing it and dont know that what im identifying is actually pre-ringing...
I didn't post a link to a snare example. I'm not sure how to identify 'ringing' but I know I heard a 'difference'. Soloed, I liked the Elliptic but in a mix, cumulatively, it didn't work as well as the Butterworth for my tastes.
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Head

rrrRINGggggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorock View Post

Quote:
I didn't post a link to a snare example. I'm not sure how to identify 'ringing' but I know I heard a 'difference'. Soloed, I liked the Elliptic but in a mix, cumulatively, it didn't work as well as the Butterworth for my tastes.
Listen to the audio file attached . The first five seconds are clean, the remaining five seconds contain ppppre-ringing .
Attached Files

Pre-ringing.wav (1.79 MB, 1682 views)

Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

If you check out some of the FabFilter videos ... there is one by Dan Worrall that illustrates the Pre-ring phenomena.

Watch all of his videos. Always a great learning experience ... even if you think you know all the stuff ... He's that good.
Old 23rd July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rici View Post
hey guys
i have experienced a misbehaviour while bouncing offline.
the tracks i've used with equilibrium (IIR mode), after bouncing offline with render mode option enabled (FIR) has been delayed.

to add that this only happen when in DSP setting is IIR and in render DSP is FIR.

i use logic and equilibrium all the latest version.

would appreciate any help dmg support didn't awnser for a week
The same thing (delayed/misaligned printed tracks when using long FIR impulse lengths for offline render settings) is happening in Studio One (both Mac and Win). But it works as expected in REAPER. Does anybody know more about this?
Old 26th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
I can't confirm (that's for you to do, for fun, with graphs!), but I will deny.

EE is an Electronic Engineering Q peak. Reciprocal Q baby! It's my nerdy one.

Dave.
It is also Elysia's nerdy one, Museq has the same boost as EE in Equilibrium. Write it now, because i've been looking for an EQ that has Museq's curves, and now i've found it. It's even better that EE cuts are narrower than boosts, so Museq can be replaced
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Lightbulb When you're feeling flat...

Every year at least one person asks DMGAudio to add a 'flat tilt' filter to EQuilibrium, and every year I intend to post some handy tips on creating your own. After nearly seven years of procrastination , I finally gathered together some screenshots and typed a post.

You can create 'flat' shapes in EQuilibrium by cascading first-order shelves. To create a smooth and virtually flat EQ response curve, each shelf must be double the frequency of the shelf preceding it, and all shelves must be set to the same amount of gain, except for the lowest and highest shelves, which require different values (I just tinker with their gain settings until the lowest and highest ranges of the EQ response curve look flat). If you construct a flat tilt that intercepts the x-axis, you may need to add a regular tilt filter between the set of shelves above the x-axis and below it to flatten the overall curve as much as possible (refer to the third screenshot below).

A few pointers:
  1. EQuilibrium's shift and scale sliders are the easiest way to adjust the position and slope of a flat tilt. For more extreme settings, you'll need to select all filters and adjust their parameters as a group.
  2. EQuilibrium's autogain function is useful for auditioning settings more objectively, and should prevent any crazy signal levels. White+1770 is my preferred autogain weighting, but YMMV.
  3. If you're obsessed with making your flat tilt as flat as possible, I suggest using a third-party program like Plugindoctor to view EQuilibrium's frequency response.
Here are some examples of flat tilts that I've used over the years:

Example 1
Please note, the highest first-order shelf is set to a frequency of 40,960 Hz because EQuilibrium's shift slider (not visible) is set to a value of 1 (i.e. 200%).

Example 2
Inverse of Example 1

Example 3
Note the regular tilt filter (at 1001 Hz) between the set of shelves above the x-axis and the set of shelves below it. I find this is a quick way to flatten the overall EQ response curve of a 'flat' tilt that intercepts the x-axis. You will always have to tinker with the gain setting of the regular tilt filter to flatten your tilt as much as possible.

Example 4
Cascading first-order shelves is also an effective way of creating a 'flat shelf' filter. I love this type of shelf (!), it can sound very smooth and transparent.

You can also create other useful shapes from a flat shelf by assigning different gain values to each of the first-order shelves, or by combining the flat shelf with a regular tilt filter. You can also create unique asymmetric shapes by combining a flat shelf with other types of shelving, parametric, low-pass and high-pass filters.

Last edited by Mimieux; 2 weeks ago at 07:11 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Great post! Thanks .
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
262144 to attenuate ringing artifacts? Hmmm
As I understand this gives maximum IR length, so more ringing it creates.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thumbs up Thanks Stereo Flux (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Flux View Post
262144 to attenuate ringing artifacts? Hmmm
As I understand this gives maximum IR length, so more ringing it creates.
You are at one with the Force, Master Yoda!

I meant attenuating the level of ringing artefacts (based on what I see in the Impulse Response graph), but I just discovered that my interpretation is wrong! I've removed all remarks about FIR filters and impulse length to avoid confusion. Thanks for keeping me in check Stereo Flux!

I thought larger impulse lengths improved frequency response and attenuated ringing artefacts, but it seems they only improve frequency response.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Thank you for sharing this! I really wanted flat tilt for EQuilibrium!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimieux View Post
Every year at least one person asks DMGAudio to add a 'flat tilt' filter to EQuilibrium, and every year I intend to post some handy tips on creating your own. After nearly seven years of procrastination , I finally gathered together some screenshots and typed a post.

You can create 'flat' shapes in EQuilibrium by cascading first-order shelves. To create a smooth and virtually flat EQ response curve, each shelf must be double the frequency of the shelf preceding it, and all shelves must be set to the same amount of gain, except for the lowest and highest shelves, which require different values (I just tinker with their gain settings until the lowest and highest ranges of the EQ response curve look flat). If you construct a flat tilt that intercepts the x-axis, you may need to add a regular tilt filter between the set of shelves above the x-axis and below it to flatten the overall curve as much as possible (refer to the third screenshot below).

A few pointers:
  1. EQuilibrium's shift and scale sliders are the easiest way to adjust the position and slope of a flat tilt. For more extreme settings, you'll need to select all filters and adjust their parameters as a group.
  2. EQuilibrium's autogain function is useful for auditioning settings more objectively, and should prevent any crazy signal levels. White+1770 is my preferred autogain weighting, but YMMV.
  3. If you're obsessed with making your flat tilt as flat as possible, I suggest using a third-party program like Plugindoctor to view EQuilibrium's frequency response.
Here are some examples of flat tilts that I've used over the years:

Example 1
Please note, the highest first-order shelf is set to a frequency of 40,960 Hz because EQuilibrium's shift slider (not visible) is set to a value of 1 (i.e. 200%).

Example 2
Inverse of Example 1

Example 3
Note the regular tilt filter (at 1001 Hz) between the set of shelves above the x-axis and the set of shelves below it. I find this is a quick way to flatten the overall EQ response curve of a 'flat' tilt that intercepts the x-axis. You will always have to tinker with the gain setting of the regular tilt filter to flatten your tilt as much as possible.

Example 4
Cascading first-order shelves is also an effective way of creating a 'flat shelf' filter. I love this type of shelf (!), it can sound very smooth and transparent.

You can also create other useful shapes from a flat shelf by assigning different gain values to each of the first-order shelves, or by combining the flat shelf with a regular tilt filter. You can also create unique asymmetric shapes by combining a flat shelf with other types of shelving, parametric, low-pass and high-pass filters.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search