The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Raven MTI at NAMM
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Nut

Hardware Slate Raven MTI at NAMM

Old 25th January 2013
Is this the big one or the small one he was talking about can't tell.
Old 25th January 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

27" table top, full RAVEN control software, digitally controlled analog monitor section with ultra hifi sonics..

PRICE:
$3499

more info soon. too tired to write....

Cheers,
Steven
Old 25th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
27" table top, full RAVEN control software, digitally controlled analog monitor section with ultra hifi sonics..

PRICE:
$3499

Cheers,
Steven
Verrrrryyyyy Interrestinggg....

Is it running PT10??

Could I mount a 27" monitor on top and run it side by side with a regular PT 10 interface, or does it not play nice?

looks...very interesting.

One thing that comes to mind, is how much easier on the eyes it is to look at real hardware. When looking at a screen it's easy to feel fatigue, but being in front of physical hardware seems more exciting. Will have to try it out... I like the idea.
Old 25th January 2013
Quote:

PRICE:
$3499

Cheers,
Steven
Great price point , looks great, nice job Steven
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Now that is huge (though not for me) and the right price point. Congrats, keep up the hard work.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

Steven i think you've come up with some great stuff over the years and I certainly think it takes a ballsy guy to do what you've done.

I guess personally I don't know about this to be honest.. It LOOKS cool, but I'm not sure how much different it would be pressing down on a touch screen as opposed to mixing with an Apple Magic trackpad (aside from multiple "faders" at once). The thing is, you would still need to be looking at the screen so you can SEE that your fingers are on faders… And it's a lot more fatiguing to be pressing down on a screen for long periods of time as opposed to grabbing physical faders. (Try it out with one of the many iPad apps…. awesome if you're in a bind but I sure wouldn't want to be mixing on one of those every day)

I know for me I would much rather a tactile surface with real faders and a TON of push-button knobs that can be assigned to plugins, rather than doing everything off a touchscreen. But that's just me.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:

PRICE:
$3499

Cheers,
Steven
I had some harsh criticisms on the Raven in the thread from October... this is looking more appealing. Like this surface angle much better.
Old 25th January 2013
On the plus side of these ... you're never gonna see a used one for sale that's missing knobs, has noisy pots, or needs recapping.

I think the Slate people have been ahead of the curve in terms of utilizing their resources, but I'm unsure at the moment how much these will catch on. I wish the best for the company though.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

The price of this has me thinking. Lower than I expected. I wish I could see it in person at a NAMM type event in Florida to get a better idea. I have very mixed feelings about this.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 25th January 2013

If you are at NAMM please come see a presentation and it will become clear how insanely superior your DAW workflow will be with the RAVEN. At this point, we have too many features to write about.. we'll be doing a video next week.

Pricing for the RAVEN MTi is $3,499

Pricing for the RAVEN MTX is $15,999 stereo and $17,499 for surround

Cheers,
Steven
Old 25th January 2013
Gear maniac

Glad he didn't forget to put a bird on it.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem View Post
lol.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

Old 25th January 2013
I messed with the smaller one for a while today. Even though it is still a work in progress, it was working pretty well. The wow factor for a studio would be high with this controller! The interface is well designed for controlling a DAW with a touch screen - it worked much easier than trying to control PT with the touch surface. Some things still needed to be done in the DAW (like creating groups) but the majority of your mixing duties could easily be done with this. I wonder how easy it would be to create automation... I'm sure I'll swing by again tomorrow to learn a bit more.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbe View Post
I messed with the smaller one for a while today. Even though it is still a work in progress, it was working pretty well. The wow factor for a studio would be high with this controller! The interface is well designed for controlling a DAW with a touch screen - it worked much easier than trying to control PT with the touch surface. Some things still needed to be done in the DAW (like creating groups) but the majority of your mixing duties could easily be done with this. I wonder how easy it would be to create automation... I'm sure I'll swing by again tomorrow to learn a bit more.
Would love to hear more about your experiences tomorrow, do drop some further comments!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

PRICE:
$3499

Cheers,
Steven

Steven, where is the monitor section on that pic?
Info on the monitor section would be great! Thanks.
Old 25th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Steven, where is the monitor section on that pic?
Info on the monitor section would be great! Thanks.
It's controlled in the front, but the circuitry is built into the back. We've got a system for providing a lot of options with minimal switches. You've got four sources including digital input, two speaker outs, one internal Betty out, engineer headphones, artist headphones... all the same circuit as it's big brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbe View Post
Thanks for coming by! If you can stop over one more time I'll be glad to show you how easy it is to make groups from the Raven Mixer! You simply swipe the faders you want in the group, hit the create group button on the Raven control panel at the bottom, and you're all set!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Wow, nice price. Just might have to order one once they're out.

Couldn't remember if it was mentioned but does it have talkback?
Old 25th January 2013

Yes it has talkback!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes it has talkback!

Cheers,
Steven
Sold
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:

PRICE:
$3499

Cheers,
Steven
This is pretty bad ass Steve, price is right too.

I look forward to checking one out.

Great job!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem View Post

you killed me with this one ....
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

Nice! Great Price. I think, if it is what it says it is... I'm buying one.
Hope you get a distributor in Canada....

Great Job giving us what we ask for!
Old 25th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemix View Post
Nice! Great Price. I think, if it is what it says it is... I'm buying one.
Hope you get a distributor in Canada....

Great Job giving us what we ask for!
I don't think Long is a direct distributor, but you can get Slate stuff from them, I think it's in their system. My friend has a fox and a dragon that he ordered through there.

Also I was so close to getting a Nucleus. Now I need to wait and think...
DAMN YOU, SLATE!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for food

Quote:
If you are at NAMM please come see a presentation and it will become clear how insanely superior your DAW workflow will be with the RAVEN.
I was there yesterday. The little one wasn't fired up but the big one was. I just can't get into the angle. Sorry. To me, this kind of surface needs to be a two tier gizmo that would be...

Faders ............ flat... totally horizontal
Anything above the faders, on the angle.

To do this of course, requires two touch displays. As in \___ . All faders on the horizontal, all knobs (eq pre.trim etc) on the angle.

To me.. it's the only ergonomic design that makes any sense for my arms and mindset. Which takes me back to setting up my own surfaces with dual and triple 3m multitouch displays instead of a Raven solution.

There is just enough angle in the Raven fader area that I simply could not work comfortably that way.

That's just me of course. I'll go back in a half hour or so to look again.. mostly because Slate is there with the other booths I also have to revisit.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

MMM..The idea sounds interesting, I just don't understand why it doesn't utilize the benefits of a touch screen and just mimics a run of the mill HUI type device. I think that the functionality would be much improved with a unique user interface that goes beyond just looking like channel strips and faders without any of the benefits.
Old 25th January 2013

There is actually a lot of custom touch options that utilize the touch screen. Swipes, gestures, draws, custom fader modes.. Makes it super fast!

Video soon!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 25th January 2013

Regarding the angle.. It's the ultimate angle for reaching all options, having your neck and back be comfortable, and its the best for acoustics. Yes it's different than a flat console but after a few hours on it you'll appreciate it!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes it has talkback!

Cheers,
Steven
Wow......you already beat out SSL's Nucleus!
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search