The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Apogee Duet for iPad & Mac
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Well RME are more boutique. It's a very small company. And Apogee are more mass market orientated making podcasting mics for the iPad etc.
Obviously more "mass market" appealing with a 4in 8out device at over £1000!

when RME make a 18in 18out for less than a grand
Old 3rd November 2013
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayampols View Post
I purchased this device and I must say, it has been an unpleasant experience using it with an iPad. I struggle with two problems constantly. The most annoying is that the output signal is delayed, significantly. If you fiddle with it you might get it to work properly, but out of the box, one cannot use it to add tracks that sync to existing audio. This video shows how out of sync the meters are. I am using MultiTrack DAW, but one can reproduce it with GarageBand.

Another issue has to do with switching sampling rates, which it doesn't do very well either. In this video you can see how easy it is to make a sine wave sound horrible.

Not much luck with Apogee support so far. For those of you who feel let down by Apogee releasing this device so quickly after the Duet 2, FWIW, I would say you're not missing much. It doesn't seem to be quite ready.
Any updates on the recording situation on iPad? Would like to hear the experience of users on this subject.
Old 7th December 2013
Gear Nut
I have a duet 2 and wanted to use my new iPad mini to record something on the fly. Unfortunately, I had to take my laptop because the duet 2 and my new iPad didnt play nice. I have the ipad with the lightning connection... This kinda sucks because, I thought this would have been the coolest little setup... (The duet 2 for ipad now shows up)...SUCKS....
Old 7th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR WOO View Post
the duet 2 and my new iPad didnt play nice. I have the ipad with the lightning connection...
Have you tried unplugging and plugging a few times? Doing this works for me. There is a defect in the Apogee devices when used with the lightning connector, and Apogee has acknowledged being able to reproduce it. I hope they will release firmware to address this soon.
Old 7th December 2013
Gear Nut
Thanks for the heads up... I didn't know that..
Old 8th December 2013
Lives for gear

Mr. WOO,

Are you using the "Duet 2" or the newer "Duet for iPad & Mac" with the iPad mini?
Old 8th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayampols View Post
Have you tried unplugging and plugging a few times? Doing this works for me. There is a defect in the Apogee devices when used with the lightning connector, and Apogee has acknowledged being able to reproduce it. I hope they will release firmware to address this soon.
Did they say exactly what this "defect" is?

I just picked up a new "Duet for iPad and Mac" so I would love to know!

I did a quick test with my iPad Air and it appears to be working properly. But I haven't dived deep into it yet!

Using it with my new MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch, running Mavericks... Now that's another story!
I'm getting a lot of Application "Hangs" (Maestro 2, iTunes, etc..). I have to constantly unplug the Duet from the computer!
I'm also getting random audio drop outs!

But hey... At least it's not losing connection with the computer!

Apogee needs to work on their Firmware/Software updates!
It's seems like their Drivers are the biggest issue here!
But what do I know... I'm a musician!

Apogee support has been pretty bad as well!
Old 8th December 2013
Gear Nut
I'm not using the duet 2 for the iPad. Im using the regular one without the midi and etc.
Old 8th December 2013
Lives for gear

According to Apogee, the Duet 2 is not supported to work with the iPad.

Can I connect my Duet 2, ONE, Symphony I/O or Duet FireWire to iPad?
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Nut
I thought, when I bought my duet 2,the iPad was supported. Shortly thereafter, the duet 2 for the iPad showed up.....Hence the old saying, A day late and a dollar short..
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

I feel ya!

I had to replace my perfectly fine Duet 2 with the newer Duet for iPad/Mac in order to be able to use my iPad in the equation!

Good luck!
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Nut
How long did it take to off load it and buy another? I see the internet full of used duets...Maybe I'll sell it low and see if anybody would be interested..
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

Still got it!

I'm holding off till I'm sure that the newer Duet for iPad/Mac is functioning properly!

Apogee's working on the issue(s).

U can probably get a good price for the Duet 2!
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Nut
I hate to be on the rampage but, why is it that these products like the duet only work on mac products? I would think, that since they only work with mac products,that these products would work flawlessly on this operating system..... Sorry....Just venting....
Old 28th October 2015
Lives for gear

I finally decided to take a jump to the usb interface. My old and "rusty" Steinberg MR816X had served me really well through the years. Before that I had used Apogee Duet 1.

I have now tested the current product for some time and I have a bit mixed feelings. This is very analytical, clean, tight and the stereo imaging/depth are excellent. However, at the same time I find the sound to be very sterile and rather "cold". Also the highs are somehow weird. I find myself missing certain naturalness and warmth. I think I might even go back to my old Steinberg interface. It had certain softness and smoothness I really liked.
Old 31st October 2015
Lives for gear

For those who are interested, I ended up selling the Duet.
📝 Reply