The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors
Old 21st April 2020 | Show parent
  #511
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax512 View Post
Aren't you the one agreeing with all those people that put down 44.1? That's what I'm talking about.
So, 44.1 can (potentially) add some aliasing vs higher sample rates. You claim that it's unacceptable (or agree with people that say that).
But then you say that you can take the Sceptres self noise low enough to be inaudible (I believe that).
My point is that the power of the aliasing noise at 44.1 is way lower than the power of the speaker self noise at listening level settings, so if you can get the speaker self noise down by lowering the volume setting by, say, 10-20 dB, it follows that you couldn't hear the aliasing noise to begin with, since that sits comfortably about 80 dB lower than the speaker self noise. And therefore you couldn't possibly have heard the degradation that follows from using 44.1 instead of higher sample rates.
That's the logic I applied to your reasoning. And no, no amount of experience can make you able to hear a noise that is lower than another noise you yourself said can't hear. Clear now?
^ this post was very well said, thank you ..and I agree with your theorem -

I was apart of the thread, but I do work at 96 ... I do understand what your saying though

it just would really mess with my workflow right now to change ..

after I got an apogee AD16X ..i went back and forth so many times trying to hear a major difference in sample rates years ago , had listening sessions etc.. but decided that since it sounded great and cycling power and restarting the clock going between sessions was a PITA I'll just stay at 96 until I change boxes and computers ..
Old 21st April 2020 | Show parent
  #512
Lives for gear
 
sax512's Avatar
 

Looks like we finally found the common ground!
Old 21st April 2020 | Show parent
  #513
Gear Maniac
 
Rocket88's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicEsquire View Post
But I will know it's there - it's like seeing something you can't unsee once you notice it

As far as the DSP causing the hiss, does that just go for speakers or does DSP in audio interfaces cause hiss as well? If that is the case, I think I will stick with my Apogee Element 24 forever since it is an interface only, no effects running through it
I have the s6 Scepters and they hiss if I put the gain at 12:00 noon, but there's no reason on Earth to do that unless you have a penchant for hearing damage. The headroom is such that they will get plenty loud way before that point.
Old 29th May 2020
  #514
Lives for gear
 

Just got a pair of the S8's for my main room.really failing to see what everybody likes about these.they image quite well and the off axis response is decent but all this talk about the connect between the transients and the low end.they sound out of time to me.i thought i was going mad so i moved them precariously around their sweetspot,even tried more trapping (which is overkill for my other monitors)and i finally confirmed it for myself when i touched the cone.there's a quite evident disconnect between the transients and the low end.the woofer seems to emit a few seconds after.these are anything but tight.the response in the mids seems a bit dipped as well.there's no way these are are anywhere close to linear.the articulation of the horn is pretty nice.it sounds a lot better than i imagined it would but the woofer and porting all seems like an afterthought to get the 45hz bass response (which they don't really do anyway as the bass response drops off a ciff after about 48hz)

I think i've maybe been spoiled as i've mostly stuck to sealed designs as i have had zero luck with ported monitors (they are all varying degrees of shyte IMO)and i think this will probably be the last one i ever check (i should just shell out of the D&D 8C)

Oh well.that was a very unfortunate 900 quid impulse buy
Old 29th May 2020
  #515
Lives for gear
 
Heartfelt's Avatar
I don't share your disappointment. They translate really well and I have not felt lows and hi/mids being disconnected. Not sure what's going on for you there. My room is reasonably treated with GIK bass traps and foam. Personally, I think any other boxes under 3K is just a lateral move. I had PSI A21Ms for a few months. Of course, they sound quite different - PSI's are lean and the Scepters are fuller sounding. However, I still hear a lot of the detail - bloat, spikes, effects, etc., just differently.
Old 29th May 2020 | Show parent
  #516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
I don't share your disappointment. They translate really well and I have not felt lows and hi/mids being disconnected. Not sure what's going on for you there. My room is reasonably treated with GIK bass traps and foam. Personally, I think any other boxes under 3K is just a lateral move. I had PSI A21Ms for a few months. Of course, they sound quite different - PSI's are lean and the Scepters are fuller sounding. However, I still hear a lot of the detail - bloat, spikes, effects, etc., just differently.
RightOn!
Old 29th May 2020
  #517
Gear Nut
 
tmix's Avatar
Some Folks had initial issues with how the units worked when first fired up and sounded wonky.
There is a fairly simple process to reset them to Factory default that often fixes that... I wish I remembered which buttons you hold... when you turn them on...
Old 29th May 2020 | Show parent
  #518
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmix View Post
Some Folks had initial issues with how the units worked when first fired up and sounded wonky.
There is a fairly simple process to reset them to Factory default that often fixes that... I wish I remembered which buttons you hold... when you turn them on...
Interesting.. so maybe his are stuck in some type of alignment mode from the factory?
Old 29th May 2020 | Show parent
  #519
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
Interesting.. so maybe his are stuck in some type of alignment mode from the factory?
If anybody has this setting i'd like to try it please.there was no mention of this in the manual from the quick read through(manual is shockingly short on info in general)right now they sound like a really dodgy PA system and the low end sort of hangs in the air and blooms after the transients(like a really crappy PA system)i'm gonna do some measurements tomorrow cause to me it sounds like the highpass filter is really steep. the low end literally vanishes slightly above the specified cutoff point
Old 15th September 2020
  #520
Gear Maniac
 
Rocket88's Avatar
S6 peeps with subs! Where are you setting your crossover points? I've been doing 100hz but I'm thinking of going to 60hz for tighter lows. Do you feel like they still perform down to that freq? TIA (I'm using an EV SB-122 12" PA sub with a Crown XLS2500 with built-in x-over for context, so more freqs coming from the actual studio monitors seems like it will be better overall.)
Old 15th September 2020 | Show parent
  #521
Lives for gear
 
Heartfelt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
S6 peeps with subs! Where are you setting your crossover points? I've been doing 100hz but I'm thinking of going to 60hz for tighter lows. Do you feel like they still perform down to that freq? TIA (I'm using an EV SB-122 12" PA sub with a Crown XLS2500 with built-in x-over for context, so more freqs coming from the actual studio monitors seems like it will be better overall.)
I know you said S6's but...I do 60 or so with the eights because I can't stand overemphasized bass guitar - it drives me crazy with that overlap. I run the tops full range. My sub only hits true sub frequencies. Seems cleaner
Old 15th September 2020 | Show parent
  #522
Gear Maniac
 
Rocket88's Avatar
Thanks, yeah cleaner is definitely what I'm going for! So you leave the S8's on "linear" and lowpass the sub at 60hz? Interesting. I might try that but lowpass slightly higher to account for the different response in the S6's.

The truth is the first step to good bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
I know you said S6's but...I do 60 or so with the eights because I can't stand overemphasized bass guitar - it drives me crazy with that overlap. I run the tops full range. My sub only hits true sub frequencies. Seems cleaner
Old 15th September 2020 | Show parent
  #523
Lives for gear
 
Heartfelt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
Thanks, yeah cleaner is definitely what I'm going for! So you leave the S8's on "linear" and lowpass the sub at 60hz? Interesting. I might try that but lowpass slightly higher to account for the different response in the S6's.

The truth is the first step to good bass!
Exactly and then I use Sonarworks
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1258 views: 303453
Avatar for Brakka
Brakka 21st December 2019
replies: 61 views: 83348
Avatar for jasonro
jasonro 30th November 2017
replies: 33 views: 6977
Avatar for willybite
willybite 7th August 2019
replies: 4 views: 950
Avatar for bowzin
bowzin 13th November 2019
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump