The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Focusrite - Scarlett 18i20 USB interface
Old 10th January 2013
Administrator

Hardware NAMM: Focusrite - Scarlett 18i20 USB interface

Focusrite’s Scarlett 18i20 is the latest in the company’s new generation of multi-channel USB-based audio interfaces, featuring eight award-winning Focusrite microphone preamplifiers, designed specifically for the computer interface environment, delivering legendary Focusrite sound quality.

Focusrite’s mic preamps are found in the world’s top studios and give the 18i20 an unequalled level of performance, with low noise, minimal distortion and enormous dynamic range. The Scarlett preamps offer exceptional headroom, and two front-panel inputs also offer 10dB pad buttons to handle the highest-level inputs without distortion.

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Key Features
  • Eight award-winning Focusrite mic preamps with front-panel meters With switchable phantom power, up to 60dB of gain, plus pad and instrument switches on channels 1+ 2.
  • Precision 24-bit/96kHz A-D/D-A conversion Professional dynamic range ensures pristine, studio-quality audio recordings.
  • Compatible with Mac, PC and iPad Uses the latest USB 2.0 streaming technology with stable, reliable drivers to provide outstanding performance on both Windows and Macintosh computers, and even iPad® (requires the Apple Camera Connection Kit — no drivers required!)
  • 18 inputs, 20 outputs Enough inputs and outputs to handle day-to-day studio tasks effortlessly, along with the expandability to cope with an entire band or a complex drums setup.
  • Dual headphone outputs and comprehensive monitor control Send separate, near-zero-latency cue mixes to artist and producer with Scarlett Mix Control, and control the level of your studio monitors quickly and easily from the Scarlett 18i20 front panel.
  • Complete software bundle Including Ableton Live Lite music software, the Focusrite Scarlett plug-in suite, Novation's Bass Station soft synth and 1GB of Loopmasters samples.

Link : Scarlett 18i20 | Focusrite
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Looks alright! Any idea about the street price?
Old 10th January 2013 | Show parent
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Looks alright! Any idea about the street price?
I'm hearing a RRP of £399/$599 and should be due in March.

Graham
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Wow, very decent price for an interface with all those options + DSP.
Could be great for my very occasional mobile recordings.
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

I'm hoping that Focusrite will release rackmount versions of their Forte interface but with more I/O!?
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Interesting.

If it sits under the Pro40 price range, i'd definitely consider picking one up for gig recording, paired with an Octopre.
Old 11th January 2013
Gear Nut

This looks like a great unit.

I love the Pro 40. Such a stable and sweet sounding interface.
Old 11th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogcabin View Post
I love the Pro 40. Such a stable and sweet sounding interface.
Do the Scarlett range use the same pre's though?

I had a feeling they were different to the Saffire range.
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

I need a great ADDA converter and with the help with my two channel mic preamp I will upgrade from my DIGI 003 rack. I´ve being thinking buying a high quality ADDA converter, but now, that I read the 18i20 usb interface has really good sounding conversion, preamps and good price, I am not sure, I´ll wait for people´s reviews on its converters.
Old 11th January 2013
Gear Maniac

That looks beautiful. Time to sell my 18i6 and get this bad boy to build my first ever mobile recording rack!

Can't wait
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

I'm a liking that.
The price and the features are good.
Cheers
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Nice piece for mobile recording with a macbook. But serious... usb2? Isn't usb3 more saver bet for the future? And corrected me if i'm wrong but USB3 is backwards compatible with USB2 isn't it?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce View Post
Nice piece for mobile recording with a macbook. But serious... usb2? Isn't usb3 more saver bet for the future? And corrected me if i'm wrong but USB3 is backwards compatible with USB2 isn't it?
I'm sure that if they made it USB3 it wouldn't be at the same price point since Focusrite are yet to release anything with USB3. It's expensive to develop stable, great sounding and feature rich devices on new protocols. As long as it provides the same stability and feature set of my 18i6, I don't care what USB protocol it follows.
Old 11th January 2013
Here for the gear

nice!

This looks great!
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

HOLY CRAP! IT'S FANTASTIC!
sorry! but I'm amazed! you're great! wanna try this sometimes
Gear Head

Quote:
What difference does it make if the interface is USB2 or USB3 as long as the bandwidth is enough to handle all channels?
Old 11th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Perfect. I mailed them and asked when Pro40 get a USB connection. This is the answer.
Old 11th January 2013
Gear Addict

Very Nice! I have an 18i6 and I love it. This looks like it's bigger brother...
Lives for gear

Quote:
A USB3 device won't be backwards compatible with USB2, no.
A USB2 device will work on USB3 ports (that's what backward compatibility is).

What's behind your insistence in having USB3? What's crippling this product by staying USB2? Remember, this product utilizes DSP, so no worries about latency, and has enough bandwidth for 18in and 20 out.
What would be the benefit of going USB3 for an 18/20 interface when USB2 can handle it? It'll just be more expensive an incompatible with ipads, which would lower its appeal.

This is just a great, cheap, product that I would lose interest in if it was more expensive with USB3 development cost markup.
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

It does look pretty nice. My experiences with Saffire Pro 40 & Liquid 56 have been good. I'd expect this to be on par.
Old 12th January 2013
Gear Nut

Anyone know if it has the same pre's as the Saffire 40?
Knob for knob, button for button, and all I/O is the same.
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

According to Focusrite website Scarlett 18i20 features high quality A-D / D-A conversion and JetPLL™ jitter-reduction technology. Pristine audio quality and rock-solid synchronisation.

My expectations on AD/ DA convertion are high.

This could be a great quality step and upgrade from my Digi 003 rack.
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Looks great.

Would love to see them do something without Mic pre's.

There are plenty of people like myself (electronic music producers with collections of synths/drum machines etc) out there who don't need Mic inputs and there aren't that many all-in-one interfaces around that don't feature them.

16 or 24 jack inputs and outputs plus some spdif/adat would be useful.
Old 16th January 2013
Gear Nut

I'm curious how this will compare to the very similar unit from Presonus.
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Nut
Hmm seems I might have found a 003 rack replacement, I too hope the conversion is great. That would make me buy it tomorrow..
Old 17th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrmac7600 View Post
Hmm seems I might have found a 003 rack replacement, I too hope the conversion is great. That would make me buy it tomorrow..
Yes, I am sure there are lots of people , like us, wishing to upgrade our Digi 003, let see if this one is as great as promised, it´s being a lot of time waiting.
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Maniac

I had the chance to compare my 18i6 to a 003 and I preferred the Focusrite unit for sound quality. Can't speak for stability as I've not had a real extended session with my 18i6 as it's just used for mobile tracking
Old 17th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosgow View Post
I had the chance to compare my 18i6 to a 003 and I preferred the Focusrite unit for sound quality. Can't speak for stability as I've not had a real extended session with my 18i6 as it's just used for mobile tracking
Thanks, you liked 18i6 better, would you say the difference is slight or greater?
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Maniac

The difference was audible enough for an idiot like me to realise. And trust me, I'm an idiot :D
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

I don´t know why you say that, there is not hidden or double meaning in my words, anyway thanks for answering.

In case 20i18 sounds better than 18i6 , then it should sound quite better than Digi 003 rack. I expect it to sound, at least, as good as RME units, since they sound very good.
📝 Reply