The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Focusrite - Scarlett 18i20 USB interface
Old 27th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_oi View Post
I haven't noticed any latency issues so far, latency seems in fact better (lower) than with my old PCI Delta 1010lt soundcard, although that was on an older computer with winxp. Can't report on the exact latencies i'm getting atm, but i used it while monitoring e-guitar with vst amp simulators and playing edrums through drum vsti live and the latency seemed decent to me.
If you have any more questions let me know.

I was actually a bit hesitant in buying the Scarlett at first because of it being USB, but i've been pleasantly surprised in all areas since i got it. I had bought the Saffire Pro 40 at first, but i was having problems with Firewire on my Vista laptop, so i returned it and got this one instead.
Thanks. I just put in my order at Sweetwater for an 18i20. Fingers crossed that they get them in stock soon, and also that I love it!

Drunk posted from my SGH-T999.
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Finally in stock at AMS and Amazon. Hopefully Sweetwater isn't far behind.

Drunk posted from my SGH-T999.
Old 16th August 2013
Here for the gear

hi guys,
i also want to get the new scarlett 18i20 and OctoPre MkII dynamics. Can anyone tell me what will be the aprox latency ? my PC is dell precision T390(workstation). Chipset intel 5000x, CPU 2xXeon dual core x2Ghz, 4Gram.

now i am using 3 delta 66 with 128 buffer size, and have ~5 ms of latency. (Nuendo 4)

Thx
Old 17th August 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringostar_89 View Post
hi guys,
i also want to get the new scarlett 18i20 and OctoPre MkII dynamics. Can anyone tell me what will be the aprox latency ? my PC is dell precision T390(workstation). Chipset intel 5000x, CPU 2xXeon dual core x2Ghz, 4Gram.

now i am using 3 delta 66 with 128 buffer size, and have ~5 ms of latency. (Nuendo 4)

Thx
Can't give a specific number right now, but latency with the 18i20 seems improved to me compared to my previous Delta 1010lt. I was using the Delta on a different/older computer, but still i doubt you'll be dissapointed with Scarlett's latency and performance in general.
Old 17th August 2013
Here for the gear

thx terry
Old 3rd September 2013
Here for the gear

Some months back I had a problem with a 18i20 and an Aphex 207D that wouldn't sync. I handed it in an d got an Presonus 1818vsl. THen a friend bought an 18i20 and I tested it with my 207D -- and now it worked! I sold my 1818vsl and got an 18i20 and I'm pleased to tell it is working flawlessly. But now I'm having a different problem:

Yesterday I bought an MPatch V2. I plan to use it in a setup consisting of the following components:

Ableton Live 9 Standard DAW
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 USB audio interface
Genelec 8020a monitors

The user manual for the Mpatch says that I should turn the volume all up on my monitors and set my software and software volume control panel to zero dB and use the mpatch to control my monitor level.

In Scarlett Mix Control, I've tried two solutions:

1. I turned off the hardware control and turned large rotary volume controller in the monitor section to 0 dB. The output channel mixer fader is on 0. The volume buttons on the Genelecs is on all up. When I played some music, I could hear it even if the main volume knob on the MPatch was in the lowest position. When I turned it up to 2, it was really loud volume and not possible to listen to.

2. I then plugged the output 3 and 4 from 18i20 into the MPatch. I shift-clicked Monitor control enable buttons in Scarlett Mix Control so that they turned grey. This will give the full output. The volume buttons on the Genelecs is on all up. When I played some music, I could hear it even if the main volume knob on the MPatch was in the lowest position. When I turned it up to 2, it was really loud volume and not possible to listen to.

Is the unit faulty or am I doing something wrong?
Old 6th September 2013
Here for the gear

problems

Good Morning:
I would like to share my experience with 18i20 ...
I bought it to record drums. I hear it on and connect to a microphone (condenser and dynamic) the preamp signal interfere with the other channels. strange. this is more evident when the level reaches audio clip. interference in the other channels is approx-55db and it is not software problem. I tried to record two channels .. at first I did not connect any device (no cable) in the second plug my microphone neumann ... the recorded signal on channel 2 was good but on channel 1 with nothing connected microphone was heard on channel 2 with distortion and a much lower volume than channel 2, the interference increased as the volume of the pre. I tried the other channels and I see that still the same problem .. Tried different cables and microphones was the same.
I would like others to give their opinon about it or if it's just a problem of my interface. and for people who are interested in buying scarlett try before you buy.

bye!
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

When I had a 18i20 I noticed something similar. Turn gain on full on the 2 front preamps with nothing connected, then tap the top of the interface and you get some signal.

For me it was very low, but strange. I think the preamps will amplify any small signal or noise variation that reaches them, and you only notice it when you have the gain cranked.

I wouldn't worry about it though.you'll never need that level of gain unless you're recording a mime orchestra!

In fact, I'd be worried if you ever DID need that level of gain!
Old 7th September 2013
Gear Nut

There seems to be a batch of 18i20 interfaces with higher than normal crosstalk:

Crosstalk between 'discrete' preamps/inputs?

I got mine replaced, and the replacement unit does not have significant crosstalk between any channels.
Old 8th September 2013
Gear Head

I guys. I bought 18i20 one month ago to record drums with ipad and auria ( i use ada8000 to 8more pre). My problem is that in auria in all channels the signal clips also with pot to 0. Should i set something different. The pad is present only in the first 2 channels. Regards filo
Old 25th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filo View Post
I guys. I bought 18i20 one month ago to record drums with ipad and auria ( i use ada8000 to 8more pre). My problem is that in auria in all channels the signal clips also with pot to 0. Should i set something different. The pad is present only in the first 2 channels. Regards filo
have you figured this out.. was looking at the same mobile setup
Old 25th September 2013
Gear Head

In auria you can set record level
Long press rec button
I solved this way and i'm quite satisfy
📝 Reply