The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Focusrite - Scarlett 18i20 USB interface
Old 9th March 2013
Gear Head

Waiting on mine, should be getting it this month!
Show replies
Old 9th March 2013
Gear Nut

$599 Street?? Yikes!! Profire 2626 is now $399 and probably alot better quality imo. I thought Scarlett is supposed to be budget gear/price? I would wait for the new Behringer Ad8000 II with Midas Preamps, will be around $250 and crap on all of them I bet!!
Show replies
Old 9th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman View Post
$599 Street?? Yikes!! Profire 2626 is now $399 and probably alot better quality imo.
Can you elaborate on why do you think the Profire would be better?
Show replies
Old 9th March 2013
Gear Nut

Musicians Friend has them for $499 and (with my 20% coupon) it was $399.
They have 15% deals all of the time so that's still only $424.

And BTW - now it looks like they'll be shipping mid-April.

The Profire has by far the worst driver support right now and is discontinued so..... I'd avoid it if I were you. The Saffire Pro 40 is still the best unit (Bang for Buck) I've come across in a firewire interface.
Show replies
Old 26th March 2013
Deleted User
In the thread about latency: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8253121-post348.html

The Focusrite USB interfaces score worse than the Presonus AudioBox VSL interfaces. Considering they will probably use the same drivers, how are the drivers for current Focusrite USB interfaces? I'm interested if any current users have experiences they can share. Thanks
Show replies
Old 27th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

I have Scarlett 18i6 and with 128 buffer on my mid 2011 i5 imac I've got 5.33 ms in and 5.33 ms out latency, when i was using it with 64 audio buffer I was getting 7.76 overall latency (in + out). Drivers are very solid but my next interface will be on firewire or thunderolt because there's too many other stuff using USB ports - I don't know why, but I've got a feeling that it'll be better / safer

Cheers!
Show replies
Old 27th March 2013
Deleted User
Awesome. Thanks for your post!
Show replies
Old 2nd April 2013
Gear Nut

I just got a tracking number from Musicians Friend.
My 18i20 is on the way!!

Kool
Show replies
Old 4th April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogcabin View Post
I just got a tracking number from Musicians Friend.
My 18i20 is on the way!!

Kool
Don't forget to Report Back!!
Show replies
Old 5th April 2013
I was checking the specs (finally) in the web and have seen that:

A-D Dynamic Range
105 dB CCIR-RMS (all inputs)
D-A Dynamic Range
103 dB CCIR-RMS (line outputs)

.... what is CCIR-RMS .... same than RMS A-weighted???
Show replies
Old 7th April 2013
Gear Nut

Hmmmmm.....
Just hooked mine up.
Driver for Mac seems extremely flakey for audio and midi.
My Saffire 40 was a snap right out of the gate.

I will report back.
Show replies
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Nut

My findings are in a new thread.

Thanks
Show replies
Old 11th April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I am so torn!

Arghhh! I am debating hard about which one to get... the Saffire firewire or the new Scarlett USB... does anyone think the USB version will have better low latency than the firewire? Otherwise these units basically seem to be the exact same thing!

I am hoping to use one in a live performance looping setup, and would like to be able to sing and play my instruments live with some added effects like reverb / delay / light compression, and also with the option to loop my audio using MainStage 2 and an FCB1010 and have it play back WITHOUT any noticeable latency.

Does anyone think this is possible with either of these two units? If not, what about with the PreSonus 1818 VSL (the other contender in my deliberation) or another option?

Macbook Pro late 2011
ML 10.8.3

Any advice is appreciated.
Show replies
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Head

Yup, just got a call from Sweetwater and mine is on the way too! Seems like an early (at least compared to the purported May ship date) shipment from Focusrite must have gone out...
Show replies
Old 16th April 2013
Lives for gear

Mine is on its way should be here Wednesday!
Show replies
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

FedEx just dropped mine off. It looks really nice and has some good weight to it. Ill report back once I get into it.
Show replies
Old 17th April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hello everybody. I just got my 18i20 yesterday. Guitar center just recieved it. It came really nicely packaged....It looks and feels quality built. I hooked it up and started using it last night....Its AWESOME....It has a really warm clear sound to it. Im running it on WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit. No driver problems or anything except it does not come with a installation disc. You have to download them from there website. I JUST HAD THE SCARLETT 18I6 and returned it to purchase this unit. The SCARLETT 18i6 had a sharp clear sound. Dont get me wrong the 18i6 had a great sound also but there is a clear difference between the two. I am running my KORG TRINITY V3 THROUGH IT AND ALL IS WELL. I also loaded up a couple of sessions in cubase SX3 and VST'S ARE WORKING AND SOUNDING GREAT with my TRINITY as the controller. I have the Focusrite ISA ONE coupled with a bluebird mic but have not yet had a chance to test it yet. The USB cable is really short.... I probably need to get a longer one (ANY RECOMMENDATIONS) it would be much appreciated. The reason I ask is because it is a ferrite cable. Overall it is a great unit.
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM: Focusrite - Scarlett 18i20 USB interface-img_1216.jpg  
Old 24th April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Not so good experience with the Scarlett.

I got one of the first Scarlett 18i20's that arrived in Norway, and my intention was to use it in a setup with a Focusrite OctoPre adat-preamp and an Aphex 207D stereo mic preamp. My daw is Live 9 running on Win7 64 bit Professional on an HP Elitebook 8570p with dual i7, 256 ssd and 16 gigs of ram that I have setup for music use. With a Presonus 1818 vsl I borrowed for a friend while waiting for the Scarlett to arrive, I could get perfect recordings of 18 channels at the same time at an asio buffer size of 128 samples. In that setup I used the Octopre as master sync and had the 1818 sending wordclock out to the 207d turned on to external sync.

The Scarlett looked good, had nice and clean preamps, well implemented mixing software and all the in- and outputs I needed. But ... when I plugged in my Aphex to the spdif in and turned opp the volume, it was a lot of pops and clicks and all the grim digital artefacts. I tried any possible combination of connections, cables, sync options, buffer settings (tried up to 20ms of latency), but it still cracked and pop on an regular interval. Mind you: I used the exact same cables, settings and so on that I used on the Presonus based setup with the latest drivers and software downloaded from the Focusrite website.

After trying everything for a couple of days and driving my wife crazy, I went to the Norwegian distributor to get it checked, bringing the 207d with me. He could find nothing wrong on the Scarlett after a day of testing. I plugged in the 207d, and it crackled.

I then took the 207d to the store were I bought it and demanded to get it repaired or repleaced. The guy at the store (who I have known for a long time) was willing to do that, but asked me to replicate the fault so he better could describe it to the Aphex-distributor.

We plugged the 207d into an Presonus 1818 (not the same as my old one) .... and it worked perfectly! We connected it to a Steinberg 816 and it sounded nice there too.

I have it on paper from the service departement at the norwegian Focustire distributor that the Scarlett have no faults in it's spdif connection and sync, but still it couldn't work properly. Therefore I got me a new Presonus 1818vsl. It lacks the additional headphone out, have very basic metering and not so flexible monitoring as the Scarlett, but the preamps are nice and clean .. and the damn thing just works.

So until Focusrite can do something with this error, I'll stick to the Presonus 1818. That's a pity, because I've been a Focusrite fan for many years. But for me the most important thing is to get good recordings, and then nice looks and cool specs doesn't mean a thing if it can't deliver the sound without noise and trouble.
Show replies
Old 25th April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I apologise for all these problems you have had with your Scarlett 18i20. The problems you described do sound like there was something wrong with the synchronisation of your devices. The best way to synchronise all these devices would have been to have the Octopre as the master, let the 18i20 clock to the Octopre over ADAT by selecting 'ADAT' as the 'Sync Source' in MixControl and then syncing your Aphex 207D over Wordclock from the WD out on the 18i20. (Making sure the 207D is set to 'EXT' sync)
Another way to set this up would be to have the the Aphex as the master, making the 18i20 clock via the S/PDIF input (setting 'Sync Source' to 'S/PDIF' in MixControl) and then syncing the Octopre over Wordclock from the 18i20.
I am sorry to hear you have taken your unit back, if you ever get any other Focusrite products again and run into any problems with it, please don't hesitate to contact us here.

Elliot // Focusrite Technical Support
Show replies
Old 25th April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I apologise for all these problems you have had with your Scarlett 18i20. The problems you described do sound like there was something wrong with the synchronisation of your devices. The best way to synchronise all these devices would have been to have the Octopre as the master, let the 18i20 clock to the Octopre over ADAT by selecting 'ADAT' as the 'Sync Source' in MixControl and then syncing your Aphex 207D over Wordclock from the WD out on the 18i20. (Making sure the 207D is set to 'EXT' sync)
Another way to set this up would be to have the the Aphex as the master, making the 18i20 clock via the S/PDIF input (setting 'Sync Source' to 'S/PDIF' in MixControl) and then syncing the Octopre over Wordclock from the 18i20.
I am sorry to hear you have taken your unit back, if you ever get any other Focusrite products again and run into any problems with it, please don't hesitate to contact us here.

After my previous comment our test team tried to recreate this setup to make sure there was not a problem with the Scarlett 18i20s with synchronising multiple digital devices. We were unable to replicate the problems you were experiencing. Panzermann I know you have taken this unit back now but if you are willing to, will you please PM me with the details of the setup you had and where you exactly bought this unit from so we can look into this further to make certain it is not a problem with our units. This would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Show replies
Old 28th April 2013
Here for the gear

I'm having monitoring issues using my 18i20 with PT10/Win7 64-bit/Hp Pavillion i7. I hear input signals through my monitors, even when thoase channels are muted in PT; obviously this is an issue in MixControl. Does anyone know how to set up MixControl so that my ProTools mutes/faders/solo settings are reflected by what I hear from my monitors and headphones?

A separate issue: when using the Scarlett USB 2.0 Audio Driver, my buffer size options are only 512 or 1024 samples. Why is this? The latency is driving me nuts. I can use the PT10 low-latency monitoring, but I would prefer to have more buffer size settings available.
Show replies
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear

Mute your inputs in mix control, pretty simple.
Show replies
Old 4th May 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hey guys, i just registered here, but i've been reading this forum for a looong time!
I'm also just about to get the Scarlett 18i20, but i'm not 100% sure yet..Has anyone who got it already any more feedback on how it performs etc?

I'm mostly concerned with any latency issues, cause i need it to have as low latency as possible, cause i record and monitor audio with vst etc and also record midi with edrums using drum vsti.

Also i'd like to know if it's too taxing on the CPU cause i have a not so great PC (with Windows Vista 32bit).
In general those who've bought it would you say that you're satisfied with your purchase or would you recommend something else?

Finally is it possible to use it as a standalone mixer without a PC as the Saffire Pro 40?? I read on the Focusrite site that it will be possible in the future through a firmware update but i'd like to know if this is the case for sure..
Show replies
Old 8th May 2013
Here for the gear

Anyone..?
Show replies
Old 13th May 2013
Here for the gear

I received my 18i20 2 days ago and i have to say i'm really pleased with it so far! My previous soundcard was a M-audio Delta 1010lt (PCI) and there is a significant improvement on audio quality and clarity over that. The preamps "sound" great.

I was a bit worried about cpu usage and asio latency because of the USB connection, but everything seems to be great after all.

I don't have any complaints with it so far and i'm really happy with my purchase. I'll update when i have spent some more time with it.
Show replies
Old 14th May 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_oi View Post
I received my 18i20 2 days ago and i have to say i'm really pleased with it so far! My previous soundcard was a M-audio Delta 1010lt (PCI) and there is a significant improvement on audio quality and clarity over that. The preamps "sound" great.

I was a bit worried about cpu usage and asio latency because of the USB connection, but everything seems to be great after all.

I don't have any complaints with it so far and i'm really happy with my purchase. I'll update when i have spent some more time with it.
Just curious what the specs are of your Computer? I am considering picking one of these up and I'd like to compare your specs to mine.
Show replies
Old 15th May 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbistudios View Post
Just curious what the specs are of your Computer? I am considering picking one of these up and I'd like to compare your specs to mine.
Sure, it's a Pentium Dual Core T4200 2.0ghz, 3GB DDR2 RAM, Intel GMA 4500M Graphics, Vista 32-bit.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Show replies
Old 15th May 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_oi View Post
Sure, it's a Pentium Dual Core T4200 2.0ghz, 3GB DDR2 RAM, Intel GMA 4500M Graphics, Vista 32-bit.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Okay thanks! Think I'll pick one up!
Show replies
Old 27th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Any more latency reports on this? I am currently without an interface (returned a VSL unit a few days ago).

I'm considering the Pro 40 as well as the 18i20. I feel like manufacterers have been demonstrating that FireWire is indeed in the past with all their efforts being in new USB units. But I do worry about latency. I definitely noticed more latency in my 44VSL than I had in my old ProFire 610. So that's all I have to go on.

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro so I can use either protocol.
Show replies
Old 27th May 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I haven't noticed any latency issues so far, latency seems in fact better (lower) than with my old PCI Delta 1010lt soundcard, although that was on an older computer with winxp. Can't report on the exact latencies i'm getting atm, but i used it while monitoring e-guitar with vst amp simulators and playing edrums through drum vsti live and the latency seemed decent to me.
If you have any more questions let me know.

I was actually a bit hesitant in buying the Scarlett at first because of it being USB, but i've been pleasantly surprised in all areas since i got it. I had bought the Saffire Pro 40 at first, but i was having problems with Firewire on my Vista laptop, so i returned it and got this one instead.
Show replies
📝 Reply