The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ValhallaVintageVerb. Available now for OSX/Windows. $50.
Old 16th September 2017
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyoutai View Post
Will the next plugin be a reverb based on 'chaos' algorithms?
The next plugin won't be a reverb. I need to diversify the lineup a bit. I still have a lot of reverb ideas, but it is good to shake things up.
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

a nice tape delay?
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering View Post
a nice tape delay?
Yeah, he has posted a lot about it in his subforum at Kvr and some photos of the delays he has been working with: echoplex, 201, el capistan and other stuff.

Can't wait to try it.
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Guru

Nice!! I look forward to trying it out. I wish Sean had done this years ago. But now that EchoFarm is back, my analog delay needs (Deluxe Memory Man) are pretty well satisfied. Before it came back it was a wasteland for good sounding delays. Analog especially. I'm sure Sean's will be a must hear though....
Old 18th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
But now that EchoFarm is back, my analog delay needs (Deluxe Memory Man) are pretty well satisfied.
You say that now...
Old 18th September 2017
This should be fantastic.
Old 18th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
You say that now...
Yeah, I do. I will wait to see, and hope for the best. I don't care about fancy emulations, or ping pointing, or multi-taps, or wild programability. All I want is something that SITS in the mix like great hardware does. EchoFarm DOES do that for me. Enough so that I bought two hardware units when they discontinued the plugin when PT went AAX. Now that the AAX plug is back in the game, the hardware's not getting used much. In the interim, I tried most everything out there, and even the rave reviewed delay plugs were a fail for me. The EFarm deluxe memory man setting - which is where I use it 85% of the time - accomplishes pretty much exactly what I need - MOST of the time.

The new Valhalla delay will have to be very good. And I believe that Sean CAN do that. So I wait..... Expectantly.
Old 18th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
You say that now...
Sounds like you've been testing some bouncy business.....
Old 18th June 2018
Here for the gear

Justin Case,
Thank you for your efforts in creating these presets.
Very much appreciated!
Old 6th June 2019
ValhallaDSP

ValhallaVintageVerb 2.0.1 Beta available in user accounts

Hi everyone,

The 2.0.1 beta release of ValhallaVintageVerb has been added to the user accounts of all VintageVerb license owners. The changes since the 1.7.1 release:
  • New reverb mode: Chaotic Neutral. This mode has been designed to be fairly transparent, with a natural decay of high frequencies. It uses the chaotic modulation of the other Chaotic modes, but its tone is, well, neutral. Try using short settings of Size for smaller drum rooms, and large Size settings for giant reverbs.
  • Pro Tools automation enhancements, including the "3-fingered salute."
  • VST3 version
  • Fix to bug that some people encountered in the Ambience mode

Anyway, please check this out, and send us a support request if you run into any issues (https://valhalladsp.com/support-request/). Assuming that the update works well for people, I will make the 2.0.1 release the "official" release sometime next week.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Anyway, please check this out, and send us a support request if you run into any issues (https://valhalladsp.com/support-request/). Assuming that the update works well for people, I will make the 2.0.1 release the "official" release sometime next week.
Will check it out Sean, thanks!
Old 7th June 2019
Quote:
Hi everyone,

The 2.0.1 beta release of ValhallaVintageVerb has been added to the user accounts of all VintageVerb license owners. The changes since the 1.7.1 release:
  • New reverb mode: Chaotic Neutral. This mode has been designed to be fairly transparent, with a natural decay of high frequencies. It uses the chaotic modulation of the other Chaotic modes, but its tone is, well, neutral. Try using short settings of Size for smaller drum rooms, and large Size settings for giant reverbs.
  • Pro Tools automation enhancements, including the "3-fingered salute."
  • VST3 version
  • Fix to bug that some people encountered in the Ambience mode

Great! Thanks Sean!
Old 7th June 2019
Deleted e71ab78
Thank you Sean!
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Way to go, Mr Costello
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Hi Sean,
thanks a lot, chaotic neutral is beautiful sounding! Very clean, but with a nice character still. Very nice natural small rooms as well as huge ones. Very even decay in long tails. A question; when I turn the Attack parameter to 100% the algorithm produces no sound at all before 0.40s decay. Is this a function of the algorithm or a "bug"? (The whole algorithm is softer in volume than the others at shorter Decay times).
Anyway, great addition! Thanks for a great line of tools!

Edit: it produces sound at 0.20s, but very very soft.
Old 8th June 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oøt View Post
Hi Sean,
thanks a lot, chaotic neutral is beautiful sounding! Very clean, but with a nice character still. Very nice natural small rooms as well as huge ones. Very even decay in long tails. A question; when I turn the Attack parameter to 100% the algorithm produces no sound at all before 0.40s decay. Is this a function of the algorithm or a "bug"? (The whole algorithm is softer in volume than the others at shorter Decay times).
This is a function of the algorithm. In the sense that, if it didn't get quieter with short decays, it would sound like a bug.

Chaotic Neutral is a "vintage" algorithm, in that it could run on reverb hardware circa 1986. It is closer to Alesis algorithm designs than Lexicon. The algorithm has a lot of clarity, but it has some weirdness in there at that needs to be masked. If the late reverb algorithm wasn't getting quieter with short decays, it wouldn't have the short decays, period.

The shortest decay sounds in Chaotic Neutral are going to be achieved with low values of Attack. In general, the attack section is providing the, well, "attack" of the reverb, while the later section is providing the sustain and release. Setting Attack to 100% means you are just hearing the late reverb, and it can get strange with short decay lengths.

Quote:
Anyway, great addition! Thanks for a great line of tools!
My pleasure, and thanks for your support!
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This is a function of the algorithm. In the sense that, if it didn't get quieter with short decays, it would sound like a bug.

Chaotic Neutral is a "vintage" algorithm, in that it could run on reverb hardware circa 1986. It is closer to Alesis algorithm designs than Lexicon. The algorithm has a lot of clarity, but it has some weirdness in there at that needs to be masked. If the late reverb algorithm wasn't getting quieter with short decays, it wouldn't have the short decays, period.

The shortest decay sounds in Chaotic Neutral are going to be achieved with low values of Attack. In general, the attack section is providing the, well, "attack" of the reverb, while the later section is providing the sustain and release. Setting Attack to 100% means you are just hearing the late reverb, and it can get strange with short decay lengths.

My pleasure, and thanks for your support!
Get it:-) Thanks for answering! It will be used over here for sure
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Chaotic Natural is a very nice addition to a reverb already packed with great modes.
Thanks Sean.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear
Sean, thanks for another update and new mode! I've got an old Quadraverb GTR (the variant with unbalanced inputs to run guitars through) I can't find the power cord for (and honestly can't be too bothered to look for) so an Alesis-style verb is another nice bit of color to have in VintageVerb. It was basically just rack filler and just got removed from my rack to clear up space for some new purchases.

As many other reverbs as I own, I find myself regularly coming back to VintageVerb. It's pretty much a staple for me.

Any chance a Shimmer update with the built-in preset browser and VST3 is in the works?
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Guru
What a gift! VVV and MJUC have to be the most amazing values in pro audio...... Thx Sean you are a class act with the depth of info in your posts......
Old 10th June 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Any chance a Shimmer update with the built-in preset browser and VST3 is in the works?
We've had internal VST3 builds of all the plugins since last summer. We're not rushing into the VST3 releases of most of the plugins, because

a) all hosts that currently run VST3 also run VST 2.4, and
b) a slower VST3 release schedule allows us to gather info about any issues with our VST3 framework, and how it interacts with the various VST3 hosts out there.

As far as built-in preset browser for Shimmer, I'm a bit reluctant to do this, because this would break the existing presets "baked into" the Shimmer build. It seems like the sort of thing that wouldn't cause a problem, but I've learned over 10 years of doing this that the changes you think won't cause a problem WILL cause a problem for some users.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
We've had internal VST3 builds of all the plugins since last summer. We're not rushing into the VST3 releases of most of the plugins, because

a) all hosts that currently run VST3 also run VST 2.4, and
b) a slower VST3 release schedule allows us to gather info about any issues with our VST3 framework, and how it interacts with the various VST3 hosts out there.

As far as built-in preset browser for Shimmer, I'm a bit reluctant to do this, because this would break the existing presets "baked into" the Shimmer build. It seems like the sort of thing that wouldn't cause a problem, but I've learned over 10 years of doing this that the changes you think won't cause a problem WILL cause a problem for some users.
Cytomic had something similar a few years back. Andy's solution was to keep the original plugin unchanged as a legacy version, and issue a new VSTID for the newer update. This way, if you were an existing user, you could keep both versions installed for compatibility but new users/projects would use the new one. With most DAWs having plugin browsers, I could just hide the legacy version to not even see it unless I'm opening an old project. Anyway, I'd personally favor that approach if it meant getting the preset browser Incorporated.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Cytomic had something similar a few years back. Andy's solution was to keep the original plugin unchanged as a legacy version, and issue a new VSTID for the newer update. This way, if you were an existing user, you could keep both versions installed for compatibility but new users/projects would use the new one. With most DAWs having plugin browsers, I could just hide the legacy version to not even see it unless I'm opening an old project. Anyway, I'd personally favor that approach if it meant getting the preset browser Incorporated.
Great solution indeed.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear
The Beta is working well for me on my system Used Chaotic Neutral on a cue yesterday, just beautiful Thanks Sean!
Old 13th June 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
The Beta is working well for me on my system Used Chaotic Neutral on a cue yesterday, just beautiful Thanks Sean!
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 13th June 2019
Wow! Thank you for the new addition! :D
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Haven’t had a chance to yet, but can’t wait to try the new update! Thanks!
Old 13th June 2019
Deleted e71ab78
Working well for me so far for me as well, maximum respect for adding new modes years after it's release, Chaotic Neutral sounds amazing!
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

The Beta 2.0.1 deletes the mono->stereo instances in ProTools.

Mac OSX 10.12.6
ProTools 19.5

Careful guys!
Old 13th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
The Beta 2.0.1 deletes the mono->stereo instances in ProTools.

Mac OSX 10.12.6
ProTools 19.5

Careful guys!
Not happening here, nor did it ever happen during our extensive testing of this update over the last 8 months or so.
Attached Thumbnails
ValhallaVintageVerb. Available now for OSX/Windows. .-screen-shot-2019-06-13-1.21.43-pm.jpg   ValhallaVintageVerb. Available now for OSX/Windows. .-screen-shot-2019-06-13-1.21.56-pm.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search