The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ValhallaVintageVerb. Available now for OSX/Windows. $50.
Old 9th May 2017
wow! can't wait to try them out. Has anyone tried making presets with VVV that are modeled about the Bricasti's??
Old 9th May 2017
Gear Addict

Chaotic Chamber rocks!
Old 9th May 2017
Gear Guru
Thx for supporting us Sean....!
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Old 10th May 2017
Gear Head

Quick note to join the chorus of thanks for this update, Sean. It's both rare and refreshing to see a developer provide an update like this - years later, at no cost, all for the benefit of us end users. Looking forward to hearing what you come up with next!
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
Chaotic Chamber rocks!
It really does. I've only had a short time to play with it, but so far it seems to have an amazing ability to "blend" with the mix so that it adds warmth and space without superimposing a distracting color of its own.
Old 12th May 2017
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
It really does. I've only had a short time to play with it, but so far it seems to have an amazing ability to "blend" with the mix so that it adds warmth and space without superimposing a distracting color of its own.
I'm glad folks like the Chaotic algorithms!

I have to admit: Chaotic Chamber behaves in an opposite direction to what I thought it would do when I was coding it. I expected the results to be noisier and more distorted. Instead, it sounds LESS colored than the more "linear" algorithms in VintageVerb. I'm still processing the implications of this...
Old 12th May 2017
Gear Guru
I think it may have to do with perception, I find it completely counterintuitive that adding distortion can add clarity. Our brain may pick up on that fuzz as stimuli and focus on the sound better?..... Way above my pay grade......!
Old 12th May 2017
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
I think it may have to do with perception, I find it completely counterintuitive that adding distortion can add clarity. Our brain may pick up on that fuzz as stimuli and focus on the sound better?..... Way above my pay grade......!
If I was going to wager a guess, I'd say that the tape-style saturation within the Chaotic algorithms is helping to tame transient peaks. Reduced peak levels = less ringing in the reverb algorithms.

I'm also using some other tricks to reduce ringing in Chaotic Chamber, that aren't particularly analog influenced.
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

It seems almost like a camouflage kind of effect. A more smooth and coherent reverb can be picked out from the background of the mix, while the more chaotic one disappears, just as the "chaos" of a camouflage garment makes the wearer disappear in a busy visual context. (I have no idea how well that relates to what's happening technically, but that's how my ears are interpreting it.)
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

Anybody else having issues in studio one pro latest + win 10?

Update won't load...

And, yes, I put in a ticket with CS
Old 13th May 2017
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Anybody else having issues in studio one pro latest + win 10?

Update won't load...

And, yes, I put in a ticket with CS
Your ticket has been received, and we are working on it. We've had several back and forth replies with you so far today. These things sometimes take a bit of time, so hang tight!
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Your ticket has been received, and we are working on it. We've had several back and forth replies with you so far today. These things sometimes take a bit of time, so hang tight!
Sean... Yah you guys are on it. Just curious if it's just me is all!

I get nervous with my new daw build!
Old 13th May 2017
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Sean... Yah you guys are on it. Just curious if it's just me is all!

I get nervous with my new daw build!
I just verified that VintageVerb 1.7.1 loads and runs in my Windows 10 system, in the latest Studio One. I haven't had the chance to do more than just test it on an audio track, so I want to go a bit more in depth before I send out an official reply to your support ticket.

One suggestion (which is a good, generic debugging question, so probably a good candidate for a forum post): Can you check and see if VintageVerb works in other DAWs on your system? I always recommend using Reaper as a lightweight DAW to install, which is really useful for installing and checking the Valhalla installs.
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just verified that VintageVerb 1.7.1 loads and runs in my Windows 10 system, in the latest Studio One. I haven't had the chance to do more than just test it on an audio track, so I want to go a bit more in depth before I send out an official reply to your support ticket.

One suggestion (which is a good, generic debugging question, so probably a good candidate for a forum post): Can you check and see if VintageVerb works in other DAWs on your system? I always recommend using Reaper as a lightweight DAW to install, which is really useful for installing and checking the Valhalla installs.
Hmm... That's not encouraging. Oh well.

Are you running s1 in 64 bit win 10 native in win8 compatability mode?

So weird... All your other stuff works fine
Old 13th May 2017
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Hmm... That's not encouraging. Oh well.

Are you running s1 in 64 bit win 10 native in win8 compatability mode?

So weird... All your other stuff works fine
I'm running S1 in Win 10 native 64-bit. No compatibility mode. I just tried Windows 8 compatibility mode, and it seems to run fine.

Let's take this to the support emails. I should be able to give a more detailed response in the next day or so. In the meantime, I would recommend that you verify that VintageVerb works/doesn't work with other DAWs on your system, to troubleshoot if it is an installation related issue.
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear
No issues here. I'm on Studio One, Windows 10, no compatibility mode (all my iLok plugins that required it were updated and no longer do, so it's been off for a few months).
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
No issues here. I'm on Studio One, Windows 10, no compatibility mode (all my iLok plugins that required it were updated and no longer do, so it's been off for a few months).
Huh! I'm sure they'll get me sorted!

On an aside, compatability mode was ridiculous
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm running S1 in Win 10 native 64-bit. No compatibility mode. I just tried Windows 8 compatibility mode, and it seems to run fine.

Let's take this to the support emails. I should be able to give a more detailed response in the next day or so. In the meantime, I would recommend that you verify that VintageVerb works/doesn't work with other DAWs on your system, to troubleshoot if it is an installation related issue.
Will do... I don't run any other daws in this box... so I'll take it offline with support... Thx!!
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

It also runs fine on win 10 pro 1703 and Cubase 9.0.20 pro. No issues at all.

Last edited by Analogue Mastering; 13th May 2017 at 10:49 AM..
Old 13th May 2017
Gear Maniac
There is no such thing as Cubase 9.22 pro
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkfreak View Post
There is no such thing as Cubase 9.22 pro
Indeed it's 9.0.20 my bad, but VVV works...
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will do... I don't run any other daws in this box... so I'll take it offline with support... Thx!!

Fixed... Did a power cycle on the computer and now it works fine!
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

Interesting
Old 25th July 2017
0e0
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I expected the results to be noisier and more distorted. Instead, it sounds LESS colored than the more "linear" algorithms in VintageVerb. I'm still processing the implications of this...
if you push the send level to ridiculously you get a very very nice saturation..within the density of the algorithm it's a very unique effect.

thank you for the inspiration

j

0=0
Old 25th July 2017
0e0
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechwood View Post
I shouldn't go overboard really, but (purely in my opinion) I think valhalla verbs have reached a new peak with chaotic chamber. I know a lot of people have said that smooth plate was the best yet, but for me this one is king of the castle.
i feel the same way..

j

0=0
Old 25th July 2017
Gear Guru
I love reverb and want to buy more. However VVV is so good, I really don't have a compelling reason to do so. I have a clean verb with Mixbus and VVV is so deep, I really feel covered....The Chaotic algo really does blend well. I've found you can back it off dramatically and it still has a presence. Anyone else finding this?
Old 25th July 2017
Here's a Chaotic Chamber preset that I made after the 1.7.1 release (so it didn't make it into the new presets) that I'm using on mixes all the time for giving snare and toms just a sense of "space" but not really "reverb":

<ValhallaVintageVerb pluginVersion="1.7.1" presetName="CC-Snare Length" Mix="1" PreDelay="0.15906727313995361328" Decay="0.27387455105781555176" Size="0.20000000298023223877" Attack="0.15000000596046447754" BassMult="0.56595015525817871094" BassXover="0.46496489644050598145" HighShelf="0.5416666865348815918" HighFreq="0.46526357531547546387" EarlyDiffusion="1" LateDiffusion="1" ModRate="0.064999997615814208984" ModDepth="0.65600001811981201172" HighCut="0.59053885936737060547" LowCut="0.26174497604370117188" ColorMode="0.6666666865348815918" ReverbMode="0.6666666865348815918"/>
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
The idea behind the Chaotic Hall and Chaotic Chamber algorithms is simple: What would the existing Dirty Hall and Smooth Plate algorithms sound like, if they were generated via tape echoes? In other words, for every delay line in the network, replace it with a tape loop of a different length.
Will the next plugin be a reverb based on 'chaos' algorithms?
Old 16th September 2017
I hope not. The chaos algos in VVV 1.7 detune the signal just as much as the other types of modulation, except the random ones. Send an acoustic piano through them and you'll know what I mean.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search