The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ValhallaVintageVerb. Available now for OSX/Windows. $50.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
Yesterday I had a full scale sound burst with a V3 instance during mixing. Luckily I had no headphones on and my S3As survived. Now I'm a bit vary to use V3 in its 1.00 version again. Any updates coming? I never had a problem like that with any Valhalla plug in before (and I have all). Problem occurred with Nuendo 5.5, OSX 10.8.2 (MacPro HexCore).
Used VRoom instead -> problem gone.

(edit: I switched to the 'Big lush Chamber' from Sampleconstruct (thanks!) when it happened - maybe this of some importance?)
Thank god I'm always working on pretty low levels and I have a limiter on my main, just in case for problems like this.
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixtree Audio View Post
I had the same thing happen. Luckily my system can handle it, but I could have easily had the Sennheisers on.

I also hope this issue can be eradicated with an update.
Same here too... 2 maybe 3 times. Each time it was being fed by Guitar Rig in Logic. Just hitting bypass on VV then back again stopped it. I assumed this was simply teething troubles and will be fixed in an update. Otherwise a superb allround reverb.
Old 4th January 2013
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWP View Post
Will this plugin work with a Mac G5 2.3G PPC running Leopard 10.5.8, Logic 8.2 and Pro Tools 8 RTAs?
The plugin was compiled with PPC support for OS 10.4 and above, but I didn't test it in all PPC variants - just a quick test of the AU and VST on my 10.4 G4 Mac Mini. One of the beta testers was running things on his PPC in Pro Tools IIRC.

I would recommend downloading the demo, and making sure that it works on your system.
Old 4th January 2013
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinmusic View Post
Same here too... 2 maybe 3 times. Each time it was being fed by Guitar Rig in Logic. Just hitting bypass on VV then back again stopped it. I assumed this was simply teething troubles and will be fixed in an update. Otherwise a superb allround reverb.
I'm looking into the causes of this issue right now. The main problem I am running into is that I can't reproduce the issue. I have found that the compiler settings are somewhat different between the last VRoom update (which is very stable by all accounts) and VintageVerb, so I am going to change the VintageVerb compilation settings for a start. Otherwise, I'm going through the code with a fine toothed comb, running diagnostics on memory leaks, etc.

If anyone else runs into this issue, please send me an email to support at valhalla dsp dot com, with all the particulars (OS version, DAW, what was happening when the bug happened, etc.). ValhallaVintageVerb is a product that has been in development for a LONG time, and I am in it for the long haul, so these issues will be worked out.
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Hi Sean,

If this helps, I got this loud noise when I was using VintageVerb yesterday. I switched from 'Concert Hall' to 'Random Space' and the noise burst occurred.

OSX 10.6.8
Logic 9.16
RME FF800
Working in 24/96

Edit: whoops just realised I posted it here, sorry.
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
I'm looking into the causes of this issue right now. The main problem I am running into is that I can't reproduce the issue. I have found that the compiler settings are somewhat different between the last VRoom update (which is very stable by all accounts) and VintageVerb, so I am going to change the VintageVerb compilation settings for a start. Otherwise, I'm going through the code with a fine toothed comb, running diagnostics on memory leaks, etc.

If anyone else runs into this issue, please send me an email to support at valhalla dsp dot com, with all the particulars (OS version, DAW, what was happening when the bug happened, etc.). ValhallaVintageVerb is a product that has been in development for a LONG time, and I am in it for the long haul, so these issues will be worked out.
Excellent, Sean. Thanks again.
Old 4th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
Hi Sean,

If this helps, I got this loud noise when I was using VintageVerb yesterday. I switched from 'Concert Hall' to 'Random Space' and the noise burst occurred.

OSX 10.6.8
Logic 9.16
RME FF800
Working in 24/96
Do you remember what Color mode you were in when this happened?
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
Do you remember what Color mode you were in when this happened?
Hi

I'm pretty sure I was in 'Now' the White screen.

Hope this helps.
Old 5th January 2013
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
Hi

I'm pretty sure I was in 'Now' the White screen.

Hope this helps.
It does. Thanks! Any bug reports people can send my way are helpful. Preferably to the support email address, so I can log the emails and answer them directly. Right now it looks like this is affecting about 1% of all users (going by sales versus bug reports). I'm thinking it may have to do with compiler settings, or init functions when changing modes. I'll keep y'all posted on any progress I make.

While I'm looking into this issue, here's an example of an Arturia Minibrute playing arpeggios through VintageVerb:

Don Gunn played/recorded the Minibrute and developed this VeeThree preset to process it:

<ValhallaVintageVerb pluginVersion="1.0.0" presetName="Synth Arpeggio Space" Mix="1" PreDelay="0.206" Decay="0.119999997" Size="0.5" Attack="0.5" BassMult="0.623038769" BassXover="0.460000008" HighShelf="0" HighFreq="0.483999997" EarlyDiffusion="1" LateDiffusion="0.796000004" ModRate="0.280999988" ModDepth="0.247999996" HighCut="0.395973146" LowCut="0" ColorMode="0.333333343" ReverbMode="0.208333328"/>

I really like the "Space" algorithms (Chorus Space, Random Space) for synth work. The longer attack time helps to separate the reverb from the synth, even if it is just by a small amount of time.
Old 5th January 2013
Quote:
It does. Thanks! Any bug reports people can send my way are helpful. Preferably to the support email address, so I can log the emails and answer them directly. Right now it looks like this is affecting about 1% of all users (going by sales versus bug reports). I'm thinking it may have to do with compiler settings, or init functions when changing modes. I'll keep y'all posted on any progress I make.

While I'm looking into this issue, here's an example of an Arturia Minibrute playing arpeggios through VintageVerb:

Don Gunn played/recorded the Minibrute and developed this VeeThree preset to process it:

<ValhallaVintageVerb pluginVersion="1.0.0" presetName="Synth Arpeggio Space" Mix="1" PreDelay="0.206" Decay="0.119999997" Size="0.5" Attack="0.5" BassMult="0.623038769" BassXover="0.460000008" HighShelf="0" HighFreq="0.483999997" EarlyDiffusion="1" LateDiffusion="0.796000004" ModRate="0.280999988" ModDepth="0.247999996" HighCut="0.395973146" LowCut="0" ColorMode="0.333333343" ReverbMode="0.208333328"/>

I really like the "Space" algorithms (Chorus Space, Random Space) for synth work. The longer attack time helps to separate the reverb from the synth, even if it is just by a small amount of time.
The biggest surprise for me in Vee3 was the M300 inspired algos. The small spaces are outstanding. And then the way they react to synths is really a treat.
Old 5th January 2013
Gear Guru

doing it right now ....Pluginslut
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Addict

Kaching!
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Addict

Haha, Cheers Sean!
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another big synth reverb demo, this time with my SH-101, which seems to have healed itself post VeeThree-release.

I love how you slowly unveil the qualities of the preset (and thus of course the plug as well) by uncovering the higher frequencies so very gradually. The presets presented up just in this thread alone are so cool; really great. Thanks a million.

Old 6th January 2013
Gear Guru

Sean , do you think you could add a stereo control (like the one on lex or Xverb) for us to play with the stereo ?
Old 6th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Sean , do you think you could add a stereo control (like the one on lex or Xverb) for us to play with the stereo ?
Just put one of these after Vee3 (it's free...):
Plugins - PLUGIN ALLIANCE - ENGLISH
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Addict

What algo's have you guys been using on acoustic guitars and vocals?
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Maniac

I use the 70s almost exclusively on everything. I just sounds so nice in the mix.
Once in a while I might use 80s for a snare sound
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Nut

I used V3 on a drum bus (send not insert) and noticed that the Ambience algorithm produces a kind of auto-pan motion - the reverb of the drums just wanders from left to right or viceversa. Is this how it is intended to be?
I didn't follow the whole thread, so sorry if anyone else brought this about.
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
Just put one of these after Vee3 (it's free...):
Plugins - PLUGIN ALLIANCE - ENGLISH
lol this i what i 'm used to do on my Verb bus (DrMS V4 , Channel Tool (cakelwak) or stuff like waves Puigchild (compression to give desnity and M/S mod (lat vert) to skult the thing in 3D )..lol also eq and all ....but would have been cool withing the plugin ....
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
the Ambience algorithm produces a kind of auto-pan motion - the reverb of the drums just wanders from left to right or viceversa. Is this how it is intended to be?
This is typical of the Lexicon Random Ambience. I believe Sean mentioned that he modeled the early portion of this algorithm after the Lexicon algorithm.

BTW Sean, have you mentioned where the original tap times of the Lexicon Ambience algorithm came from. It's another good story for the record!

-Casey
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Addict

I used the V3 on a session these last two days and I am VERY pleased with it!
Also in the process of recording an EP with my "krautrock" band and can safely say that both V3 and Übermod (perfect name now that we are talking about krautrock) are gonna be used heavily.

Sending good vibes your way hombre for making my job a whole lot more psychedelic + =
Old 6th January 2013
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentzen View Post
I used the V3 on a session these last two days and I am VERY pleased with it!
Also in the process of recording an EP with my "krautrock" band and can safely say that both V3 and Übermod (perfect name now that we are talking about krautrock) are gonna be used heavily.
ÜberMod IS a good name for a plugin geared towards kosmische musik, isn't it?

I'm sure that the early 1970s German psychedelic music vibe saturates all of my plugins. Bands like Kraftwerk, Cluster, Harmonia and NEU! were a big part of what drew me to electronic music in the first place, and it my interest in electronic music that eventually led me to using code to make sounds.

ValhallaVintageVerb isn't a very kosmische plugin, in the sense that the algorithms that it uses come from a later time than the German music in question. However, the graphic design is VERY influenced by what you would see in European publications from the early 1970s, and might not look that out of place on, say, a Cosmic Jokers album cover.

Quote:
Sending good vibes your way hombre for making my job a whole lot more psychedelic + =
My pleasure!
Old 7th January 2013
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
This is typical of the Lexicon Random Ambience. I believe Sean mentioned that he modeled the early portion of this algorithm after the Lexicon algorithm.
I modeled the early reflections of the Ambience algorithm on my Lexicon 300 w/1.10 ROM revision, to be precise. The late stuff in the Ambience algorithm is a modified Chamber algorithm, in parallel with the early stuff.

The panning motion is interesting. I can hear it in both the Lex 300 and in the VeeThree Ambience algorithm. During the late stages of development, I came up with a slightly different randomization pattern, which removed the panning. It also sounded less interesting. I might use the alternate randomization pattern for a later nonlin algorithm.

Quote:
BTW Sean, have you mentioned where the original tap times of the Lexicon Ambience algorithm came from. It's another good story for the record!
Well, I'll quote you from a 2009 post (from the mighty "Lexicon bestiary" thread at ):

Quote:
It always comes back to Symphony Hall. Do you know the story?

Long before convolution reverbs were possible, there was a statement put forth that you could identify a specific seat in Symphony Hall by collecting the stereo sound energy of the Hall over each 10 millisecond interval and then play that energy back in the form of ambience. This is the 300 Ambience program, with a best attempt reverb following the early ambience.

In a private conversation with David about 5 years ago he told me that he thought the whole notion was rather silly, but there it is.
To my ears, the randomized early taps in the Ambience algorithm don't sound like any sort of concert hall. The architecture reminds me of the sort of thing that I've seen in pitch shifters, versus standard reverbs. I'd love to know what the evolution of these algorithms was like inside Lexicon. The Ambience algorithm seems like it might have been an offshoot of the randomization used in the 480L Effects algorithm, as they seem to use a similar technique.
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sure that the early 1970s German psychedelic music vibe saturates all of my plugins.

My pleasure!
I picked up Epsilon In Malaysian Pale (Edgar Froese) the day it was available in the US (1975). It is interesting in that it was a Binaural Recording. EIMP + Headphones + a tab of LSD could still make a man right.

-Casey
Old 7th January 2013
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
I picked up Epsilon In Malaysian Pale (Edgar Froese) the day it was available in the US (1975). It is interesting in that it was a Binaural Recording. EIMP + Headphones + a tab of LSD could still make a man right.

-Casey
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

-Casey
well, I agree... but for me it was Phaedra, the year before...
Old 7th January 2013
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McNerney View Post
well, I agree... but for me it was Phaedra, the year before...
Phaedra is pretty amazing. About 11 years ago, I programmed a digital version of the Schulte Compact A Phaser, or something close enough. I LOVED the sound of that phaser on Phaedra.

I haven't heard "Zeit" in a while, but I really liked that album as well. Just thick slices of pure dark matter.
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
About 11 years ago, I programmed a digital version of the Schulte Compact A Phaser, or something close enough.
Aaaargh – WANT!
Old 7th January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Phaedra is pretty amazing. About 11 years ago, I programmed a digital version of the Schulte Compact A Phaser, or something close enough. I LOVED the sound of that phaser on Phaedra.

I haven't heard "Zeit" in a while, but I really liked that album as well. Just thick slices of pure dark matter.
Would you ever consider releasing it in some form for us phase freaks?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search