The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iZ Technology Corporation Launches RADAR 6
Old 29th October 2012
News Desk Editor

Hardware iZ Technology Corporation Launches RADAR 6

iZ Technology Corporation Launches RADAR 6

Updates flagship multi-track recorder with the ultimate sound quality, higher speed, extreme reliability, and modern flexibility

iZ Technology Corporation, manufacturer of innovative music and audio products, has launched RADAR 6 at the 133rd AES Convention in San Francisco. RADAR, the premier choice for hard disk multi-track recording and playback employed by recording studios, scoring stages, theaters, and post production houses around the world, has been updated with new features and improved speed, storage technology, editing, audio performance and user interface.

RADAR has long been the recording platform that offers the highest sound quality on the market. Built with world-class converters, Adrenaline DR technology, dual digital/analog power supplies, near-zero jitter, and near-zero latency up to 192kHz, RADAR systems transcend the digital barriers of sonic quality.

Thanks to RADAR 6’s new storage architecture, recording and moving files is fast and easy. You can record 24 tracks at 192 kHz to a 64 or 128 GB SD card and plug it directly into your laptop for use with your favorite DAW. Record and/or copy and deliver tracks in seconds on a USB 3.0 thumb drive. Or record directly to RADAR’s high-speed solid-state drives for maximum performance. RADAR’s open storage architecture gives you the most options.

New features of RADAR 6:
Sound Quality: World-class Classic 96 and Ultra Nyquist converters and the new Adrenaline DR technology
Speed: Direct SATA recording for over 2 times faster cueing editing and data transfers
Storage: Solid state SATA, USB 3.0, thumb drives and remote network access make recording and file transfer fast and flexible
Portability: nearly 40% shorter and 14 lbs lighter than RADAR V
Improved user interface: full front panel controls with tactile transport keys and a comprehensive high resolution multi-page touch screen supporting industry standard wide screen resolutions
Editing: Comprehensive editing from the front panel touch screen as well as a virtual meter bridge, touch-screen macro keys, multiple mark in/out markers for batch exports and audio CD creation from a single project
Acoustic Noise: control room ready with super quiet low speed power supply fan and all solid-state storage drives
Cost: RADAR 6 has a lower retail price than RADAR V
One of the best-known features of RADAR is its extreme reliability. The use of top-quality components and attention to extreme detail in the analogue domain guarantees that RADAR’s physical hardware will perform under continuous recording and last for years. There are RADAR systems still operating today after almost two decades of constant use.

Plus, recording with RADAR is as simple as it should be: Turn it on, hit the record button. That’s it. There are no layers of unintuitive technology getting in the way, just pure, unencumbered tracking. RADAR systems are also fully customizable. With choices of 3 different converter card designs available in 8, 16, or 24 channel configurations, 4 multi-channel digital I/Os, and a wide variety of backup and recording drive options, RADAR is the most configurable multi-track recorder available today.

Pricing and Availability: Starting at under $8,600 USD. Available now at iZ Technology | Professional digital recorders and converters..
Attached Thumbnails
iZ Technology Corporation Launches RADAR 6-869797969c0b4f0791eee1e1e54f717a.jpg  
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

to RADAR!

Very nice features! Nice price all considered..
I appreciate that they put a new silent fan in there!

Good job iZ!!

Cheu
Old 29th October 2012
I know some people using the radar and they are making some of the best recordings I hear.
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

I wonder how good is the Radar editing ?
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
I wonder how good is the Radar editing ?
I cant speak for the newest version, but the older version is fine for normal editing. If you are a micro editor (ie every drum beat) then its kind of limited. Its easy to load exported wave files into Pro Tools or other DAW's though. RADAR has more of a classic tape type of work flow.
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

I really hate to be negative, but I am just shocked that there is still even a market for something like this, at this price.

The converters do sound really good, but the truth is there are less expensive converters today that do sound as good or better, and when you add in the audio interfaces and computer it still comes up to be less money than one of these RADARS. I just don't get it.

They should really focus on marketing their converters separately better, and getting the price down a bit imho. I really want to see the company succeed. The RADAR and the support for it is legendary here in Nashville... but I just don't see this being "the way". :(
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The converters do sound really good, but the truth is there are less expensive converters today that do sound as good or better, and when you add in the audio interfaces and computer it still comes up to be less money than one of these RADARS. I just don't get it.
i guess stability and not staring at a screen and not using a mouse would be appealing especially if you are into music.
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Simply put, Radar is the easiest to operate and best sounding digital recorder built today.
I've owned 5 Radar systems, and will be ordering this one in about a week or so.
If you have no desire or need (like myself) to look at a screen all day and edit, auto tune, beat detective, or what have you to the audio, then this is hard to beat.
Turn it on, arm a track and you're ready to record.

No fuss, no muss, I just wanna record some music, without all the bull****!
Old 2nd November 2012

i love them for orchestral recording.
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
i guess stability and not staring at a screen and not using a mouse would be appealing especially if you are into music.
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
i love them for orchestral recording.
Or any live tracking... of shows or live albums etc.
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
The converters do sound really good, but the truth is there are less expensive converters today that do sound as good or better, and when you add in the audio interfaces and computer it still comes up to be less money than one of these RADARS.

What converters are you referring to?
I'm strongly consider Radar since I thought they're among the best converters out there for money? If there are other systems with same kind of stability and workflow, I would love to check them out as well.
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

All those replies make sense. I guess in today's music industry I am always surprised that there are still people that prefer not to record on a DAW of some sort.

I have AVID Artist series controllers that I use mainly with Cubase/Nuendo, and I almost NEVER look at the screen unless it's to check signal levels during tracking sessions. I just arm what I need to arm from the control surface, hit record/play/rew/ff/stop/locate, etc... right fromthe controllers. Then of course, if I DO need to do any editing, etc... I can. My DAW has not crashed on a recording session in years.

As to converters... many sound as good to my ear. Lynx Aurora, the new RME converters, Euphonix, Latest Apogee, Steinberg MR816X (not kidding.. did a shootout), UA 2192, UA Apollo, etc....

THIS is the product I would like to see them get the price down on a little, and really be successful with.

I am definitely a fan, and the RADAR was my recorder of choice 10 years ago if we weren't doing analog tape. I just can't help but think the market for a traditional RADAR is going away... especially considering the price. I can build two rocking computers with optical inputs and outputs, buy a 24 channel optical splitter, and 24 channels of outstanding conversion to I have true full redundancy for my life recording work for the less than the price of only ONE RADAR.... sadly. :(

All that said... I hope that I am wrong and their success continues!
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
As to converters... many sound as good to my ear. Lynx Aurora, the new RME converters, Euphonix, Latest Apogee, Steinberg MR816X (not kidding.. did a shootout), UA 2192, UA Apollo, etc....
With all due respect the Radar converters still sound so much better to me than the Lynx Auroras I use every day. Whenever I fire up the Radar it's like that moment when you listen back off tape and it sounds so much more 'right'. Given the option most clients will hear the difference and choose the sound of Radar pretty quickly. Especially nice for those clients that like the idea of working analog but don't have the budget for tape. Radar is so solid and the tape workflow is something i miss when working in PT. I love the limitations of 24 tracks and no playlists

That being said we don't use Radar as much as we used to. The pressure of quick editing on the session and getting files in and out quickly means our old Radar system takes a little too long for most clients for backup.

The Radar 6 is super exciting for this reason. Tracking to thumb drives or ssd cards?? Faster editing...awesome.
Old 3rd November 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
I am definitely a fan, and the RADAR was my recorder of choice 10 years ago if we weren't doing analog tape. I just can't help but think the market for a traditional RADAR is going away... especially considering the price. I can build two rocking computers with optical inputs and outputs, buy a 24 channel optical splitter, and 24 channels of outstanding conversion to I have true full redundancy for my life recording work for the less than the price of only ONE RADAR.... sadly. :(
The thought of having to put together all that gear to replace a radar makes me sad. Simply having two rigs to "replace" one makes me want to headbutt a wall. The beauty and worth of a Radar rig is its simplicity and reliability. Nothing can touch them in this regard. If you are trying to use a RADAR like a DAW... then I can see why it would get frustrating.
Old 3rd November 2012
+1 to radars sound. While I'm sure the non linear/ tapeish jcf and burl converters are very nice, radar does have "that sound." and the 2 inch mixing idea is awesome. Definitely some of the best straight digital conversion
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

One of the biggest advantages is if (on the very rare occasion) something does go wrong, help is two rings away. How many companies can you say that about...... They also cover you with support for 10 years after purchase. That is unheard of today.

Oh, and sound and reliability.
Old 3rd November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove View Post
One of the biggest advantages is if (on the very rare occasion) something does go wrong, help is two rings away. How many companies can you say that about...... They also cover you with support for 10 years after purchase. That is unheard of today.

Oh, and sound and reliability.
also skype support...which has been amazing on occasion.
Old 4th November 2012
according to Fletcher and his gang, Radar sounds the most analog in conversion out there.

it seems (the converter) to slow down the transients in a good way and fatten up things.

I never met one who uses a Radar system nor the converters so I really don't know.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
Old 8th November 2012
500 series nutjob

i wish i had the budget for a new radar, i would have one here!
Old 13th November 2012
Lives for gear

I beta-tested that unit about eight months ago, but sadly was probably a little early for testing. Took an hour + some phone support to get the unit booted, then it de-armed the tracks in the middle of recording. Gave up and used a contingency system (was a location recording).

Given iZ's rock solid reputation and the past RADAR experiences, figured they would figure it all out. The little touch screen was nice rather than hauling a monitor around.
Old 15th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
Simply put, Radar is the easiest to operate and best sounding digital recorder built today.
I've owned 5 Radar systems, and will be ordering this one in about a week or so.
If you have no desire or need (like myself) to look at a screen all day and edit, auto tune, beat detective, or what have you to the audio, then this is hard to beat.
Turn it on, arm a track and you're ready to record.

No fuss, no muss, I just wanna record some music, without all the bull****!
Amen!
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

When I got my first Radar (Radar II) one year ago I thought I'll use it just as converters between the console and the computer and still do a lot of work with the DAW.

The guy who sold that Radar to me - an experienced user - warned me:

Once you use that machine you dont touch the computer anymore.

I laughed - but he was right.

Now I've got 2 Radar 24, upgraded to Radar V-Spec, and love them to death - bought quite some outboard stuff and work the old fashioned way, with faders and knobs in my hands - the computer is just for bachup - recording is fun again!!!!!

Using just the converters would be a step backwards as I had to work in the DAW again
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

I have two Radar V's I never use them (at all) HDX all the way for me.
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I have two Radar V's I never use them (at all) HDX all the way for me.
You could send them to me
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott003 View Post
+1 to radars sound. While I'm sure the non linear/ tapeish jcf and burl converters are very nice, radar does have "that sound." and the 2 inch mixing idea is awesome. Definitely some of the best straight digital conversion
When you guys talk of the "sound" which version of Radar are you referring to?
I can't afford a Radar 6 but would certainly be interested in an older model at a good price.
I've just bought Calrec and Trident consoles and the thought of ditching the DAW is mighty appealing!
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Radar II, Radar 24, and or Radar V, with their Classic convertors is all you need, if they have the Nyquist convertors even better!!
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

There is a tune called enough on their site . One tracked with classic and the other with ultra So you can compare Analogue I/O | iZ Technology
I actually prefer the classic sound from this recording .
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Converter question aside I'd recommend at a Radar 24 or newer for added software functionality (record to BWAV, etc.), networking, etc.

Like nobtwiddler, I personally like what they used to call the Nyquist converters, but wouldn't reject the classic converters, especially if the a machine with the Nyquist was too expensive for your budget.

And although DAWs have surely taken over, due to the wonderful things that they offer, there are workflows and situations where a DAW can simply not compete. Clearly not for everyone though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search