The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New SoundToys Radiator plugin (not the Little one)
Old 11th April 2013
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Noise gates are very mid '70s-'80s...
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you don't mind me asking Mr Olhsson, the hype on this mentions Motown and the sound. Wondering if you feel this does capture the gear vibe of the equipment you worked with? Any thoughts?
Old 18th April 2013
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
According to our chief engineer, the Altec mixer was used feeding a Fairchild 660 for lead and background vocals on one track of our three track machine in the early '60s.

I started in 1965 and by that time we were doing 8 track recording and I understood the mixer was typically used to mix the three direct guitars.

Outside of the context of the particular musicians, singers and extraordinarily well designed studio it's hard to say how accurate it is but I think it sounds pretty good.
Old 22nd April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
CPU hog

I know that radiator is supposed to be CPU intense but I'm getting 30% of my pro tools CPU usage meter increase just by adding 1 stereo radiator. This seems crazy to me. I just wiped everything and re installed/ updated to make sure.

I'm on a 2012 Mac mini server qad 2 gig i7 8 gig ram. OS 10.7.5 pro tools 10.3.4

Is this normal?
Old 22nd April 2013
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks so much, great to hear your opinion from real "perspective"! Means a lot considering your experience.
Old 22nd April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiehouston View Post
I know that radiator is supposed to be CPU intense but I'm getting 30% of my pro tools CPU usage meter increase just by adding 1 stereo radiator. This seems crazy to me. I just wiped everything and re installed/ updated to make sure.

I'm on a 2012 Mac mini server qad 2 gig i7 8 gig ram. OS 10.7.5 pro tools 10.3.4

Is this normal?
I'm using an 8-core 2008 mac pro (2.8 x 8) and I freeze Radiator most of the time cause it's a delicious pig
Old 6th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It really eats CPU for lunch, but I cannot stop using it. The best tube/analog emulation available IMHO, but of course taxes your CPU. But it kills on bass, guitars and box.

One of my favorite plugins...it eats other saturators for breakfast and the EQ is gorgeous!!!
Old 28th May 2013 | Show parent
TNM
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
I haven't messed with this a lot. And swore I wouldn't buy any more x86 plug-ins. But I went for it anyway... 'cause it's Soundtoys... right? (though that's beginning to mean less and less to me the longer it takes 'em to get x64 out).

I honestly, so far, can't tell if this thing is doing any thing good for the sound. Granted, I've only tried it, just testing it on some snare hits in a test session. But I twisted the knobs to the extremes, using gain adjustment on the input... and it sounds like very little is going on to me. I mean, I can tell it's doing "something", but does that "something" really need to be done? Maybe it does more on a more complex sound. But this plug honestly seems kinda light to me.

I really thought hard about the Studio Devil Virtual Tube Amp, but talked myself out of it. I kinda really wish, now, I woulda got that instead, for the nice, subtle frequency control via the bias adjustments.

I'm not sure the Radiator is worth even the $49 upgrade/sale. Maybe I'll find a use for it somewhere... sometime.

sorry i have asked this also at KVR.. i have the little radiator.. where on earth can the upgrade be bought for $49 to the full one? i have looked everywhere and all i see is $89..!!

thanks so much in advance!
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
the 49$ upgrade was a time limited offer, just like the Devil-Loc.
Old 8th September 2017 | Show parent
V.t
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash View Post
That's why there is a "noise" switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
It really eats CPU for lunch, but I cannot stop using it. The best tube/analog emulation available IMHO, but of course taxes your CPU. But it kills on bass, guitars and box.

One of my favorite plugins...it eats other saturators for breakfast and the EQ is gorgeous!!!
used it yesterday on Bass, next after the Decapitator. now I'm blown away by the sound. just so analog-sounding.
Old 8th September 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
haha old topic, but i agree it still is great
πŸ“ Reply