The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Antelope Orion 32 Multichannel Converter
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoknew View Post
I'm using the Orion 32 with the Dangerous D-Box for analog summing, which worked fine with the new firmware upgrade solving the USB issues, but I have to have the Orion next to my Mac 8core tower because of cable length limitations (Clutter on my desk). I bought the RME HDSPe Madi PCIe card and installed it in my tower, moved the Orion over to my rack on the left side of my DAW. Using the Madi out, I can't use the Dangerous D because it uses the D shell outs from the Orion. Pisser. Does anyone know if there's a way to route the Madi outs to the computer and still have the Orion D-shell's active to go to the summing amp? I'd actually like to grab the output of the D-Box back into digital land in my computer, so I can bounce the summing mix…….
Or if there's a way to route the Orion Madi signal to the Dangerous D box?
This Madi option works well on paper without the D-Box summing amp, I'm guessing.
The whole idea of using the summing amp was to be able to dial in the analog console sound without having a console. Workarounds?
Why aren't you going MADI to Orion32, then in the Orion32 Control Panel route the MADI inputs to DAC outs and then run the D-Sub analog outs to the Summer?

Regards,
Marcel
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiokid View Post
This is unrelated to the quote but it sounds like a lot of Apple issue are increasing in pro audio.

---------------------

Whoknew,
It could be due to the Messages bug that people are reporting "issues". We are notifying Apple of that bug, btw. But, I have not had ANY issues with Pro Tools or Logic X running on Mountain Lion and the past week using Mavericks. In fact, a Retina Macbook Pro on Mavericks feels like the DAW is a "hardware" system and when you consider the SSD and fast RAM, it essentially IS a digital hardware system (speaking of speed and responsiveness).
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Why aren't you going MADI to Orion32, then in the Orion32 Control Panel route the MADI inputs to DAC outs and then run the D-Sub analog outs to the Summer?

Regards,
Marcel
That's exactly what I was thinking too Marcel. But I think he's got an issue with the two AES which are ( am I correct) ideal for optional digital inputs that you can use to expand monitoring via a mixdown DAW , CD and online monitoring yes?

If its anything like the Monitor ST, I use additional converters.
Old 27th October 2013
Again, this is assuming the D Box AES inputs are similar to the ST.
Dangerous Music needs to expand their tutorials on the 2 selectable AES inputs . I think this incredibly useful and very important feature is going over peoples heads; and rightly so. Its brilliant hybrid monitoring but confusing at first glance.

You cannot or at least I do not use the same summing converter (Orion32) for those two inputs. I use additional 2 channel converters to monitor the mix on DAW 2 and DA online or CD references monitoring. ( also see A.S.S. Additional Switching System) for more on all this.

This is part of what makes Dangerous Music a process, not just a product. Big topic.

Last edited by audiokid; 27th October 2013 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: added a bit
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
Again, this is assuming the D Box AES inputs are similar to the ST.
Dangerous Music needs to expand their tutorials on the 2 selectable AES inputs . I think this incredibly useful and very important feature is going over peoples heads. And rightly so. Its brilliant hybrid monitoring.

You cannot or at least I do not use the same summing converter for those two inputs. I use 2 channel converters to monitor the mix on DAW 2 and DA online or CD references monitoring.
If someone wants to go from S/PDIF to AES (Orion to another device) it can be done with an impedance adapter. I grabbed a used Alesis AI-1 for $39 on eBay.
Old 27th October 2013
Last post

Edit: I see you are in time with me on this!

You might need spidif or lite to AES as well for this. If the Mac has a digit out for CD and online music, that goes on the CD AES.
The other additional converter may have spdif, AES, etc. that goes to the other digital input.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=AES+t...w=1291&bih=636

Last edited by audiokid; 27th October 2013 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: added some for Marcel!
Old 27th October 2013
hehe, one more....
Old 27th October 2013
There seems to be a lot of confusion over how you would incorporate a 3 way hybrid (recording, mixing and mastering (finishing) system with one converter

You could I suppose but I don't.

Specific for (dangerous music summing) members wondering about those extra analog inputs on the ST or ( I'm guessing) AES inputs on the D-Box: I'm not certain with the D-Box (correct me if I'm wrong?), I don't use it but do use the ST. I hope this helps in respect to converters within your monitoring process.

I use 3 independent converters ( AT THE SAME TIME) for these additional inputs because I don't necessarily want the same clock speeds (SR) (recording, mixing, mastering (finishing) within a hybrid system.

Typical settings that may include one or all in your workflow:

DAW 1< Multitrack tracking and mixing converter (32 channel ADDA) @ 88.2 or higher. Monitor via ST 1-4 analog switch.
DAW 2 < The Mixdown DAW Stereo ADDA converter set @ 44.1 /24 . Monitor via ST 1-4 analog switch.
The online monitoring DA is 44.1/ 16 Monitor via ST AUX switch.

I use AES, FW and USB interfaces . What ever works for you is right. The Orion 32 > USB is a winner in this process.

I switch between these all the time (recording, mixing, mastering (finishing) . Its part of the Dangerous Music workflow which has HUGE advantage with hybrid processing and monitoring.
You can be tracking and mixing down at different SR at the same time. Analog in the middle going one way < DAW 2, makes this all possible.
Monitoring all these areas can be done via a switch of a button.

Last edited by audiokid; 27th October 2013 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: added a bit more info
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of confusion over how you would incorporate a 3 way hybrid (recording, mixing and mastering (finishing) system with one converter

You could I suppose but I don't.

Specific for (dangerous music summing) members wondering about those extra analog inputs on the ST or ( I'm guessing) AES inputs on the D-Box: I'm not certain with the D-Box (correct me if I'm wrong?), I don't use it but do use the ST. I hope this helps in respect to converters within your monitoring process.

I use 3 independent converters ( AT THE SAME TIME) for these additional inputs because I don't necessarily want the same clock speeds (SR) (recording, mixing, mastering (finishing) within a hybrid system.

Typical settings that may include one or all in your workflow:

DAW 1< Multitrack tracking and mixing converter (32 channel ADDA) @ 88.2 or higher. Monitor via ST 1-4 analog switch.
DAW 2 < The Mixdown DAW Stereo ADDA converter set @ 44.1 /24 . Monitor via ST 1-4 analog switch.
The online monitoring DA is 44.1/ 16 Monitor via ST AUX switch.

I use AES, FW and USB interfaces . What ever works for you is right. The Orion 32 > USB is a winner in this process.

I switch between these all the time (recording, mixing, mastering (finishing) . Its part of the Dangerous Music workflow which has HUGE advantage with hybrid processing and monitoring.
You can be tracking and mixing down at different SR at the same time. Analog in the middle going one way < DAW 2 makes this all possible.
Monitoring all these areas can be done via a switch of a button.
Would the Lynx Hilo be a better choice for mastering vs Orion 32 or Symphony I/O?
Old 27th October 2013
There are many ways to skin a cat. It my particular process : Yes, the Hilio or Eclipse 384, Lavry ADDA 11 Blacks, Prism Lyra/ Orpheus ( double for mobile DAC), etc etc.
High quality Stereo ADC because you don't need the extra channels for stereo mixdown or capture. Right? Think Mastering Engineer at this step.

But, keep in mind you need to monitor the same source so the 2 channel should be both ADDA.

Use the Orion32 for multichannel tracking and mixing. USB is killer this way. Flawless for me and shockingly affordable. thumbs up
Old 27th October 2013
Many ME are using DSD to capture. A capture DAW vs DSD makes more scene.

The Orion32 makes multitrack hybrid mixing really affordable now.

Cheers!
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just so I'm not coming across as my way or highway: There are many ways to skin a cat. It my particular process : Yes, the Hilio or Eclipse 384, Lavry ADDA 11 Blacks, Prism Lyra/ Orpheus ( double for mobile DAC), etc etc.
High quality Stereo ADC because you don't need the extra channels for stereo mixdown or capture. Right? Think Mastering Engineer at this step.

But, keep in mind you need to monitor the same source so the 2 channel should be both ADDA.

Use the Orion32 for multichannel tracking and mixing. USB is killer this way. Flawless and so affordable. thumbs up
Cool, Thanks for the input.Between the Lavry or the Hilo which one would you say has a more is more suited for bass heavy dance music?
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
Cool, Thanks for the input.Between the Lavry or the Hilo which one would you say has a more is more suited for bass heavy dance music?
No idea. Both. I love Lavry, always have.

I'd choose a high quality converter, transparent of course ( with softclip (maybe) some guys like to OV the input) and FW or USB interface.
Target SR is @ 44.1 That's all I need, maybe you need different, want to SRC or need super high SR. Master to DVD, or archive audio files?

Something that has rock solid drivers (stable) and loves your DAW and OS.
Old 28th October 2013
Antelope's Direct Tech Support phone line launched today, making it easier than ever to get help with your Orion and other Antelope questions.

tel: +1 734 418 8661

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
No idea. Both. I love Lavry, always have.

I'd choose a high quality converter, transparent of course ( with softclip (maybe) some guys like to OV the input) and FW or USB interface.
Target SR is @ 44.1 That's all I need, maybe you need different, want to SRC or need super high SR. Master to DVD, or archive audio files?

Something that has rock solid drivers (stable) and loves your DAW and OS.
My mistake. I master ITB and was informed I don't need a Mastering Converter for that. I'm happy with the results I get out of the Orion on Mixdown so I think I'm cool for now. What I usually do is "touch" my 2 bus with a compressor upon mixdown and maybe run it through my JDK EQ for "flavor". Then use Ozone 5 to clean up.
Old 29th October 2013
Antelope AES Show recap

Old 29th October 2013
The Video is spot on BTW. Cant go wrong is my impression too.

Quote:
My mistake. I master ITB and was informed I don't need a Mastering Converter for that. I'm happy with the results I get out of the Orion on Mixdown so I think I'm cool for now. What I usually do is "touch" my 2 bus with a compressor upon mixdown and maybe run it through my JDK EQ for "flavor". Then use Ozone 5 to clean up.
exactly,

I was thinking you were ADDA> orion32 > otb summing > going to a mastering rig and needed a 2 channel ADC.

Happy mastering!
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
exactly,

I was thinking you were ADDA> orion32 > otb summing > going to a mastering rig and needed a 2 channel ADC.

Happy mastering!
Thanks for your help! BTW, what latency are you getting with your setup? Mine is at 14.667 in and 12.146 out using Cubase on a 12 core Mac Pro.
Old 30th October 2013
Quote:
Thanks for your help! BTW, what latency are you getting with your setup? Mine is at 14.667 in and 12.146 out using Cubase on a 12 core Mac Pro.
Ironically, I've never measured it. I'm not concerned with latency because I never do the "round trip". I avoid that like the plague.

I prefer tracking and summing using two independent DAW's with the Monitor ST connected to everything OTB. I can often lower my buffer to 32 via RME HDSPe 32 PCIe for demanding midi programming, 64 for Vox etc on the Orion32 seems fine, no complaints.
When mixing, I'll use 512 or higher depending on DAW processes. My particular process calls for less plug-ins ( or less per computer) so I can lower my buffer quite a bit more.

I'm so close to zero, I don't notice anything worth mentioning, no complaints. Avoiding the round trip, my tracks are always lined up, never phasy and extremely transparent.

But I'm curious now. How are you (everyone) measuring their latency? Are you following the Antelope Latency Video in the CP or? Is there measurement software that makes this easy for you?
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ironically, I've never measured it. I'm not concerned with latency because I never do the "round trip". I avoid that like the plague.

I prefer tracking and summing using two independent DAW's with the Monitor ST connected to everything OTB. I can often lower my buffer to 32 via RME HDSPe 32 PCIe for demanding midi programming, 64 for Vox etc on the Orion32 seems fine, no complaints.
When mixing, I'll use 512 or higher depending on DAW processes. My particular process calls for less plug-ins ( or less per computer) so I can lower my buffer quite a bit more.

I'm so close to zero, I don't notice anything worth mentioning, no complaints. Avoiding the round trip, my tracks are always lined up, never phasy and extremely transparent.

But I'm curious now. How are you (everyone) measuring their latency? Are you following the Antelope Latency Video in the CP or? Is there measurement software that makes this easy for you?
In Cubase, they show what I assume is the existing latency on the hardware device (converter) attached to it. I know that OZone may have a hand in it since I find it impossible to write midi with it active.

I believe I use a two step mastering process.

I "trim the fat" using my analog gear which includes the built in compressor on my 2802 and a JDK R24 EQ for "flavor".
Old 3rd November 2013
Gear Addict

OS10.7

Hey,
is Antelope Orion good with OS 10.7 on a Mac?
Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 3rd November 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hywyn View Post
Hey,
is Antelope Orion good with OS 10.7 on a Mac?
Thanks in advance,
Steve
Running Pro Tools 10 I should have added...

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11th November 2013
hi,

i cant get this running: i want to have a low latency headphone mix of all instruments (git,bass,drums - input channels 1-12) before i go into my daw. all mixed into 1 stereo out mix. i cant seem to figure it out with the orion mixer software. i also watched their video about routing but i did not help me much.

thanks for help!
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Has anyone been able to get the control panel to remember where it was positioned? It always opens almost totally off the screen for me, and it does something funky with the window focus, because you can't grab the title bar. It often takes a few efforts of clicking on and off of it, using alt-tab, and so on to get to to come foreground so it can be moved.
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

help with a new routing issue

Hey guys,

I have been using my orion since june/july now, and I love it. I have posted on here a number of times about this box and you can't go wrong and the support is just amazing too.

I am having an issue with routing on the control panel, and I know I am missing something.

In the past I have used a folcrom to sum and print my tracks (I have had too many consoles to name and none did summing well enough, until I got my A&H GS3000 a month ago), and now I am using my latest console an A&H GS3000, which is awesome. I can not seem to get any input to actually print the mix coming in from the board. If I choose inputs say 1&2 I get my two kick tracks which are on tracks 1&2 in protools. I can not seem to get the ADC to point to the MADI in, as the control panel will not let me drag any adc to the madi in ports. I can only drac ADC to DAC MADI out.... which is puzzling.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very greatful.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 15th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
Hey guys,

I have been using my orion since june/july now, and I love it. I have posted on here a number of times about this box and you can't go wrong and the support is just amazing too.

I am having an issue with routing on the control panel, and I know I am missing something.

In the past I have used a folcrom to sum and print my tracks (I have had too many consoles to name and none did summing well enough, until I got my A&H GS3000 a month ago), and now I am using my latest console an A&H GS3000, which is awesome. I can not seem to get any input to actually print the mix coming in from the board. If I choose inputs say 1&2 I get my two kick tracks which are on tracks 1&2 in protools. I can not seem to get the ADC to point to the MADI in, as the control panel will not let me drag any adc to the madi in ports. I can only drac ADC to DAC MADI out.... which is puzzling.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very greatful.

Thanks,
Jim
Hi Jim,

You need to drag the ADC ins 1-2 to the "MADI OUT 1-2" as that's what sends those on the way to your MADI card..

Hope this helps,
Marcel
Old 15th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Jim,

You need to drag the ADC ins 1-2 to the "MADI OUT 1-2" as that's what sends those on the way to your MADI card..

Hope this helps,
Marcel
I figured it out Marcel!

It was a bad patch cable, I was pulling my hair out on this one, I tried everything and it was a stupid patch cable.

Thanks for helping me check that out too on the routing, I thought I had something wrong there, but it was not.

As always you are the best Marcel!

Jim
Old 15th November 2013
Just wanted to share our latest video. This time we visited with Billy Bush (Garbage, Boxer Rebellion, Naked And Famous, Rick Rubin, Butch Vig).

Old 15th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just wanted to share our latest video. This time we visited with Billy Bush (Garbage, Boxer Rebellion, Naked And Famous, Rick Rubin, Butch Vig).
I thought this thread was about Orion 32?

If this isn't about the Orion anymore and considering I just spent 20mins listening to Billy talk about, amongst other things the lose of analog feel in digital recordings and not about the Orion, then I'd like to share this...

Old 24th November 2013
Lives for gear

Antelope Orion + OSX 10.9 + Cubase 7.06 with Asio patch. Will I be ok?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search