The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Orion 32 Multichannel Converter
Old 11th June 2018 | Show parent
Looking at buying the Orien 32+ to replace a Rosetta 800 which I had no problems with for over 10 years. However the ADAT cuts in half at the higher samples and I want clearer sounding converters.

Will the USB2 work on a Windows 10 Computer? I saw issues on this thread but then they announced an updated software and drivers. I figured I would use USB2 now and use Thunderbolt whenever I buy a new PC.
Deleted b5734b5
Found a great deal on a RME Hammerfall DSP Madi. Anyone having good experiences using this card and the original Orion 32? Thanks!
Old 11th June 2018
Gear Addict

I run mine with an RME MADIface USB and it works perfectly. The RME stuff is rock solid.
Lives for gear

I have used an Orion32 over USB2 for about 2,5 years now. Got myself a great deal on an RME MadiFX card and never looking back.

The Orion32 is a great convertor but the USB2 interface (or at least: their drivers) is "meh" at most. It works but to me it feels like driving a BMW vs driving a beat-up KIA: both cars will get you where you need to be but guess which'll keep you relaxed on the way there?

Herwig
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
I have used an Orion32 over USB2 for about 2,5 years now. Got myself a great deal on an RME MadiFX card and never looking back.

The Orion32 is a great convertor but the USB2 interface (or at least: their drivers) is "meh" at most. It works but to me it feels like driving a BMW vs driving a beat-up KIA: both cars will get you where you need to be but guess which'll keep you relaxed on the way there?

Herwig
Where there any hiccups with the USB 2? I have a RME 96/52 card but it only has ADAT and spdif. I prefer not buying another card
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b5734b5 View Post
Found a great deal on a RME Hammerfall DSP Madi. Anyone having good experiences using this card and the original Orion 32? Thanks!
I was forced to upgrade to the RME HDPSE Hammerfall card early last year when I found out that their USB communication did not play nicely with my new motherboard which came stock with usb 3.0 and only software emulated 2.0 . I begrudgingly bought that card, but man is it way more solid than the usb communication and I have been able to drop my buffer down to ridiculously low settings in a lot of cases. In the end it was worthwhile for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Where there any hiccups with the USB 2? I have a RME 96/52 card but it only has ADAT and spdif. I prefer not buying another card
Actually, Apple uses several Orion32's in their own studios. I had dinner with one of their engineers at the AES in Milan this year. They even tested their own USB drivers on Orion32 and you can even use the Apple driver with it, as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Actually, Apple uses several Orion32's in their own studios. I had dinner with one of their engineers at the AES in Milan this year. They even tested their own USB drivers on Orion32 and you can even use the Apple driver with it, as well.
I use Windows 10, but thanks for the info
Deleted b5734b5
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypestudio View Post
I was forced to upgrade to the RME HDPSE Hammerfall card early last year when I found out that their USB communication did not play nicely with my new motherboard which came stock with usb 3.0 and only software emulated 2.0 . I begrudgingly bought that card, but man is it way more solid than the usb communication and I have been able to drop my buffer down to ridiculously low settings in a lot of cases. In the end it was worthwhile for me.
Good to know! Thank you Sir!
Old 12th June 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

I have original Orion running on Win 10.
Initially I was sceptical of USB & also purchased a SSL Madi card from the seller as well.
Madi was great but decided to try USB & found it to be problem free.
It uses a network protocol over the USB connection so much more solid than USB data stream.
In the end I sold the Madi card & now run exclusively USB with no issues.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Where there any hiccups with the USB 2?
- On some laptopt I was forced to use the 24 channel mode (instead of 32ch), otherwise I had no sound.

- On my main DAW (Asus i7 mobo) there was no click-free playback possible with buffer sizes under 512. I've tried any configuration, multiple usb ports, ... That was not really a problem because I track live instruments mainly and the direct routing panel is excellent.

- Bigger projects were no really a problem but they run smoother now that I have the RME card.

The real test will be later this year: I'm starting my new studio build in August. It will be a hybrid setup with 2x Orion32 and 64 channels of outboard permanently attached as external plugins. If this works as good as it does in my head a 3rd Orion might be added later.

Herwig
Gear Nut

Now that you mention it I haven't had any luck glitch free below a buffer of 512 either, running a decent sized session. If I need to do a midi recording with minimal latency I run a blank session with just the guide track to minimise any resource drain & drop the buffer right down, then import back into the bigger main session.
I am currently using my RME card 9652 with my apogee Rosetta I can also never go below 512 buffers. But with the direct recording button in Cubase, it's not an issue.
Old 18th August 2018
Gear Nut

I just got the 10 mx to go with the orion 32+ and have started to have usb conflicts and pro tools 11 dropping the orion. When I get only the orion plugged in usb it seems to rectify the problem but the routing window for the orion shows that the orion is receiving clock source from "USB" not "Atomic even though the 10M light is lit on the front of the orion. How do I know what is actually happening with my clock source when I'm receiving conflicting messages between the orion software windo and the 10m light on the front of the Orion. I would hate to drop this kind of dough on a clock only to have it be ignored by the orion in favor of crap sync from the USB? this is frustrating and I'm confused as to what to do from here. Everything was working well till the addition of the 10MX. Please advise @ Marcell
Old 20th August 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs View Post
I just got the 10 mx to go with the orion 32+ and have started to have usb conflicts and pro tools 11 dropping the orion. When I get only the orion plugged in usb it seems to rectify the problem but the routing window for the orion shows that the orion is receiving clock source from "USB" not "Atomic even though the 10M light is lit on the front of the orion. How do I know what is actually happening with my clock source when I'm receiving conflicting messages between the orion software windo and the 10m light on the front of the Orion. I would hate to drop this kind of dough on a clock only to have it be ignored by the orion in favor of crap sync from the USB? this is frustrating and I'm confused as to what to do from here. Everything was working well till the addition of the 10MX. Please advise @ Marcell
Hello seedubs,

As soon as your Atomic indicator lit and recognizes your 10MX this means that everything is connected properly.
Your device clock source still will be displayed as "USB", but your conversion will be now referenced from your 10MX ( so everything is as it should be). Regarding the USB Conflict between your O32+ and PT i will suggest you to open support ticket because this needs to be investigated by our support team. Most likely the problem is from PT side, but let us check your settings first.

Best Regards,
Alex
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear

Hello all, I just purchased an Orion 32 and an RME HDSPe Madi card to run into my API The Box. I'll get the Orion later this week and I'm very excited to put it into use via Madi. I've read most of this thread and Madi seemed the route to go for me as I wanted as low of latency as possible, and the RME Madi Orion 32 combo seems to please many owners. I appreciate all the information posted here, it really makes it easier for a new user have the proper expectations, so a big thank you to all that added information here.

Anyone want to give a new Antelope user any helpful tips or pointers to get up and working faster?
Old 24th August 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

10mx and orion /Pure 2 not displaying the same sample rate

Well that is good to know about usb staying on regardless of the 10m signal but why then does the sample rate not change when I set the 10mx to a different rate than the session .For instance the 10mx will show 88.2 khz on the front but the session will display 96khz on the front of the orion. I would think there would be a sync error message to correct the sample rate settings on the 10mx but it just changes the sample rate irrespective of the 10mx sample rate setting displayed on the front. Is it important to change the sample rate on the front of the orion and Pure 2 to match the sample rate on the 10mx or will it just change automatically ?If you are telling me that my antelope gear is synced to the 10mx in all of these situations I will not worry about it any more but it just seems like the convertors and 10mx clock are not communicating properly . Thanks for the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
Hello seedubs,

As soon as your Atomic indicator lit and recognizes your 10MX this means that everything is connected properly.
Your device clock source still will be displayed as "USB", but your conversion will be now referenced from your 10MX ( so everything is as it should be). Regarding the USB Conflict between your O32+ and PT i will suggest you to open support ticket because this needs to be investigated by our support team. Most likely the problem is from PT side, but let us check your settings first.

Best Regards,
Alex
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Well that is good to know about usb staying on regardless of the 10m signal but why then does the sample rate not change when I set the 10mx to a different rate than the session .For instance the 10mx will show 88.2 khz on the front but the session will display 96khz on the front of the orion. I would think there would be a sync error message to correct the sample rate settings on the 10mx but it just changes the sample rate irrespective of the 10mx sample rate setting displayed on the front. Is it important to change the sample rate on the front of the orion and Pure 2 to match the sample rate on the 10mx or will it just change automatically ?If you are telling me that my antelope gear is synced to the 10mx in all of these situations I will not worry about it any more but it just seems like the convertors and 10mx clock are not communicating properly . Thanks for the insight.
Hello seedubs,

This is because you need to properly clock all of your devices in your chain. However i strongly advice you to contact our support in order to discuss with us the best routing, connection and clocking scenario.

Antelope Audio : Customer Support

Best Regards,
Alex
Gear Nut

I have invested in top of the line bnc 75 ohm digital connectors for all of the units in my digital chain. How am i screwing this up? I find it strange that I will have to call in to the help line after 40 years running studios from small to large format SSL rooms but I guess I have more to learn about this clocking business.
Guess its not so straight forward with all of these antelope products in the same rack. I take it from your response that it isn't clocking correctly. Guess Ill cancel this session and get on the phone with support...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
Hello seedubs,

This is because you need to properly clock all of your devices in your chain. However i strongly advice you to contact our support in order to discuss with us the best routing, connection and clocking scenario.

Antelope Audio : Customer Support

Best Regards,
Alex
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I have invested in top of the line bnc 75 ohm digital connectors for all of the units in my digital chain. How am i screwing this up? I find it strange that I will have to call in to the help line after 40 years running studios from small to large format SSL rooms but I guess I have more to learn about this clocking business.
Guess its not so straight forward with all of these antelope products in the same rack. I take it from your response that it isn't clocking correctly. Guess Ill cancel this session and get on the phone with support...
Basically, if you want all of your converters ( Orion 32 and Pure) to be slaved to your 10MX, you need to connect some of the 10MX WC outputs ( not the atomic one) to Orion 32 and Pure 2 Word clock inputs ( not the atomic one again). Then in both O32 and Pure 2 you need to select as clocking input the WC and no the USB. However in this case you need to make sure that your DAW (PC or MAC) does not mismatch with the Sample rate of your Pure 2 and Orion 32. This is the shortest guides i can provide you in order to continue your studio book for today. when you have available time slot do not hesitate to call us during our official business hours.

Best Regards,
Alex
Old 5th November 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi, I've been looking at upgrading my converters/interface to make the most of some other recent purchases and could do with some advice!

At the moment I'm running a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, a Universal Audio 4-710D (through ADAT), two Great River MP500NVs and two AEA RPQ500s going into the 4 spare convertors on the Universal. I also sometimes use a Presonus D8 if I need 24 channels.

I'm about to order 4 or more CAPI preamps (haven't decided which yet but that's for another thread).

Basically, in order to make the most of the CAPI stuff I would like to be running them through better converters than those of my Focusrite/Presonus for obvious reasons. The two options I'm considering are either:
1. something like the Orion 32 to use as convertors for everything, or
2. Buy another 4-710D (I can get a used one for about £1000) and use the spare converters on that for the CAPI stuff. This will also give me 4 more nice preamps which is always a bonus (I've got NOS Tele tubes in my current one which I love), but would not give me any high quality DAC (I imagine my Focusrite won't be doing justice to my ATC monitors)

What I need to know, is whether there is a massive difference in conversion quality from what's in the Universal units, compared to something like the antelope, or any similar unit, and whether it will make a real world difference to the sounds I'm getting.

Thanks!
Old 12th November 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0410 View Post
Hi, I've been looking at upgrading my converters/interface to make the most of some other recent purchases and could do with some advice!

At the moment I'm running a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, a Universal Audio 4-710D (through ADAT), two Great River MP500NVs and two AEA RPQ500s going into the 4 spare convertors on the Universal. I also sometimes use a Presonus D8 if I need 24 channels.

I'm about to order 4 or more CAPI preamps (haven't decided which yet but that's for another thread).

Basically, in order to make the most of the CAPI stuff I would like to be running them through better converters than those of my Focusrite/Presonus for obvious reasons. The two options I'm considering are either:
2. Buy another 4-710D (I can get a used one for about £1000) and use the spare converters on that for the CAPI stuff. This will also give me 4 more nice preamps which is always a bonus (I've got NOS Tele tubes in my current one which I love), but would not give me any high quality DAC (I imagine my Focusrite won't be doing justice to my ATC monitors)

What I need to know, is whether there is a massive difference in conversion quality from what's in the Universal units, compared to something like the antelope, or any similar unit, and whether it will make a real world difference to the sounds I'm getting.

Thanks!
Hello matt0410,

My humble suggestion is to arrange a demo session with your local dealer and decide for yourself which interface/converters you prefer.

You can compare converters by their specs, but you have on top of that PCB Design, clocking etc.

Best Regards,
Alex
Old 12th November 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0410 View Post

Thanks!
I went from an LS56 with the BLA mod to an Orion32 several years ago. To me, there was a big difference in quality and clarity. I've been very happy with the Orion. I bought a couple of patch bays and haven't looked back. That said - a demo is probably the best idea...
Old 29th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

I see now that Antelope has lowered the price of the Orion 32 to $1,695 (through Feb 28th, 2019) which I assume means it is probably soon going to be discontinued. I have been considering adding some more AD/DA channels to my current RME UFX setup (I started a thread recently about this ( Adding more AD/DA), but have a specific Orion 32 question so figured I would post that here).

It seems like a lot of people have been happy with their Orions, but there appear to also be quite a few people who have had issues. From reading many of the posts in this thread, it seems to me like many of the issues are related to the actual interface to Mac/PC.

I would be curious to hear if in general, people have had any significant issues with the hardware itself - i.e., if I were to buy one to use strictly as an AD/DA converter to run via ADAT to my UFX (or potentially an RME MADI interface down the road), would it be a relatively safe bet, or is the hardware prone to issues as well?

I know the Orion 32 is several years old, but for 32 channels for $1,695, there is not much else out there in this price range (Ferrofish being perhaps the closest in price of the newer options).

Thoughts?
Gear Head
No issues here with the HW itself! Great sounding Box
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleipnir View Post
I see now that Antelope has lowered the price of the Orion 32 to $1,695 (through Feb 28th, 2019) which I assume means it is probably soon going to be discontinued.
Yeah, I'm worried about the same thing. Hoping to buy one soon. Tell them to wait until I get my tax refund. At 17 bills there is no competition, Ferrofish is going for 24.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm using a Orion 32 via Madi - really liking it.

Only occasional fly in the ointment is I find it randomly resets its i/o routing, i then have to plug it in via USB, and repatch the routing then it works as normal.

Does it recognise button press's on the front panel even when its turned off, I only get the prob after moving the unit about....

First time it did it I unplugged EVERYTHING in the studio one at a time before figuring it out, was not funny
📝 Reply