The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ableton Push: new Live 9 MIDI controller for writing and performing music
Old 25th October 2012
Administrator

Hardware Ableton Push: new Live 9 MIDI controller for writing and performing music

Push provides direct, hands-on control of melody and harmony, beats, sounds and structure, powered by Ableton Live running on your computer. High-quality, dynamic pads, buttons, encoders and display combined with an innovative workflow allow you to play and compose musical ideas without the need to look at or touch your computer, and more importantly, without interrupting the musical flow.

PUSH FEATURES
  • Play and sequence beats: Push’s 64 velocity- and pressure-sensitive multi-color pads can be used to play, step sequence, and navigate within rhythm patterns – all at the same time. The 11 touch-sensitive endless encoders can control device parameters, adjust velocity, nudge timing and more.
  • Play melodies and chords in a new way: Push “folds” a keyboard’s worth of notes into its 64 pads, with different pad colors showing the key center and other notes in the key. This allows you to play in every key using the same finger patterns, move between keys at the touch of a button, and explore new harmonies and phrases.
  • Improvise with song structure: Push expands the scope of creation with its unique workflow. Using just a few buttons to trigger clips, overdub notes, move between song materials and variations lets Ableton Live itself become an intuitively playable instrument.
  • Move smoothly from creation to arrangement: Push offers both the inspiring instrument to start creating music, and the full-featured software to finish off a track. Everything created with Push is laid out in Ableton Live on your computer – ready for fine-tuning, arrangement and export.
  • Includes Ableton Live 9: Push includes Ableton Live 9 Intro and works with any edition of Ableton Live 9 (Intro, Standard, Suite). All the included instruments, effects and sounds, as well as your own libraries, are ready to be played, tweaked, and personalized.
  • Designed by Ableton, built by Akai Professional: Utilizing Akai Pro’s long-standing expertise in the field of pad controllers, Push features 64 pressure and velocity-sensitive RGB (multi-colored) pads with an adaptive layout and a touch strip with 24 LEDs for pitch bending or navigating through a Drum Rack. The 11 touch-sensitive encoders and LCD display adapt dynamically to control and show active parameters.
  • Fits inside a backpack alongside a laptop: Push is 370 mm / 14.57 inches wide, 293 mm / 11.54 inches deep and is 46 mm / 1.81 inches in height (including encoders) and weighs 2990g / 6.59 pounds. Backside connections are a USB port, power adaptor input and two assignable footswitch inputs. (Push is USB-powered, the brightness of the display and LEDs can be increased by using the included power supply).
  • Push cover: An optional steel cover doubles as a sturdy, angled stand for performance.
Push will be available in the first quarter of 2013 for $599 USD/499 EUR. Push includes Ableton Live 9 Intro and works with any edition of Ableton Live 9 (Intro, Standard, Suite). Bundle upgrade discounts will be available for owners of previous versions of Live

Link : https://www.ableton.com/en/push/
Old 25th October 2012
Administrator

Video

Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

This is getting interesting indeed!
Old 25th October 2012
Gear Head

I will own this.

I really hope it interfaces nicely with vst's, for going through patches and automapping controllers etc..

It looks wicked.

Anyone know what the main differences will be between Live 8 and 9?
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Maschine for live, it seems. Kind of.
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

wow... this great. I'm definitely getting one.
I already own Maschine, but this looks much more elaborate.
Old 25th October 2012
Gear Addict

I love how this thing looks!!! Much more stylish than the new Maschine.....
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

In fact , the more i look at the tech details, the more i think this is a pretty big deal, even bigger than the Live 9 announcement.. It's the most interesting pad based controller there is for live use ( or even studio use ). Going to be a huge hit...
Old 25th October 2012
Gear Head

Yeah this thing looks pretty Bad Ass!!

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Hit for sure.
Old 25th October 2012
Gear Addict

This looks awesome, I've been considering maschine but it doesn't really seem like a complete solution. This could be the ticket for me!
Old 25th October 2012
Gear Addict
Engineered by Akai. I'm glad I didn't invest in a Renaissance. I think this will move the goalposts considerably

Old 25th October 2012
I don't know about this. The real hardware faders and LED knobs on the APC40 are part of the big attraction, for me anyways. Push looks like Launchpad and Maschine had a love-child. Sure the slim design and LCD are sexy for sure. Although the triggers appear too small to really use as drum pads.

Here's hoping they make a "Push+" with real faders and the eight drum pads from the LPD8. Otherwise I'm just sticking with the APC40/LPD8 combo I've got.
Old 25th October 2012
Gear Head

I pretty much always think, if only they........ with this kind of thing, bit from the snippets i've seen, this actually looks pretty spot in. Very interesting indeed.....

Even though I already use an iPad/Maschine/ Launchpad/Remote SL combo this might actually tempt me....
Old 25th October 2012
Gear Nut

I think this is a very significant product. Should finally standardise the format for pad-based chromatic playing - as well as all the other stuff of course.
Very nice product design.
Old 25th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
I don't know about this. The real hardware faders and LED knobs on the APC40 are part of the big attraction, for me anyways. Push looks like Launchpad and Maschine had a love-child.
I totally agree.
I very nearly bought an APC yesterday. I didn't know Push was about to be announced.
But I really want faders. The first video I've watched about Push concentrates on playing synths with the pads. Something I really don't need.
Old 25th October 2012
Here for the gear

this thing looks like a KILLER piece of gear.

any idea if it can work side by side with the APC40? if so, i might sell my dsi tempest and get a beefier macbook...
Old 26th October 2012
Gear Guru

akai should team up with every daw to propose controllers for them .....cause the match versus NI maschine is not in a good way for them
Old 26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Interesting controller...
Old 26th October 2012
Gear Nut

Use in Rewire

Does anyone know how it will behave in Rewire mode. I had an APC 40 but when you used Ableton rewired via Pro Tools it became disabled....
Old 26th October 2012
It's interesting they're using like an AXiS controller to play notes. Kind of useful but the triggers look a tad big and spaced too far apart to play chords efficiently. One of the great things about the AXiS is the ability to play triads with one finger and huge chords with one hand. Although I'm completely aware they're very different products with somewhat different target audiences.
Old 26th October 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznet View Post
Engineered by Akai. I'm glad I didn't invest in a Renaissance. I think this will move the goalposts considerably

Well said. Those of us that DID invest in a Renaissance (aka fools like me out $1300) now know where Akai's time has been spent. Wish I knew this thing was coming; looks rad.
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

I want this exact thing but with 8 faders where the pads are. keep the two skinny buttons above them for mute & solo.
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Does this work as a standard MIDI controller for any DAW, or is this ONLY for Ableton Live?
Old 26th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Does this work as a standard MIDI controller for any DAW, or is this ONLY for Ableton Live?
Not sure but I would guess it's like the APCs where they can be programmed for almost anything. They would certainly sell a few more units that way.
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

Me want.
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

From Ableton Site:

Will Push work with other music software?

Push was designed as a musical instrument which harnesses the power of Live 9. The hardware can also be used as a generic controller, so that you can send basic MIDI information to other software, but you can only use the full features of Push as an instrument with Live 9. There are no plans to fully integrate Push with any other DAWs in the future.

Russell
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Yep, now use push in other DAW's.
nativeKONTROL PXT-General
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear