The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Universal Audio Announces new UAD-2 Hardware and UAD Powered Plug-In Software Bundles
Old 15th October 2012
News Desk Editor

Software Universal Audio Announces new UAD-2 Hardware and UAD Powered Plug-In Software Bundles

-New Flagship 8-Processor UAD-2 OCTO DSP Accelerator, New Custom and Ultimate UAD Plug-In Bundles, More Affordable Pricing Across the UAD-2 Lineup-

Universal Audio (UA), a leading manufacturer of professional audio recording hardware and software, is pleased to announce a complete re-imagination of the popular UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform. Highlighted by the new flagship UAD-2 OCTO DSP Accelerator card, featuring eight SHARC processors, the UAD-2 Series offers new Custom and Ultimate software bundles and more affordable pricing for all UAD-2 SOLO, DUO, and QUAD DSP Accelerator models.

New OCTO DSP Accelerators — Heavyweight Processing Power
The new top-of-the-line UAD-2 OCTO DSP Accelerator ($1,499US) features eight SHARC processors on a single PCIe card and easily installs into a PCIe-equipped Mac or PC workstation or compatible expansion chassis — giving music producers and engineers twice the processing power of its UAD-2 QUAD DSP Accelerator counterpart. For UAD power users running large audio sessions with high UAD plug-in instances and/or high sample rates, the UAD-2 OCTO DSP Accelerator is the uncompromising professional solution.

New UAD-2 “Custom” Bundles — Pick Any 3 UAD Plug-Ins
For just $400US more than a UAD-2 DUO, QUAD, or OCTO “Core” DSP Accelerator model, UAD users can now step up to UAD-2 Custom bundles, selecting any three individual UAD plug-ins within 45 days of their new UAD-2 hardware registration. With a world-renowned UAD plug-in library that includes Ampex®, Manley®, Lexicon®, Studer®, EMT®, Empirical Labs®, Neve®, SSL®, Roland®, and more, UAD-2 Custom bundles deliver a potential software value of more than $1,000US (depending on UAD plug-ins selected), at significant savings to new UAD-2 users.

New UAD-2 “Ultimate” Bundles — The Definitive Collection
Combining the most powerful UAD-2 DSP Accelerator hardware with the most complete UAD plug-in bundle available, the new UAD-2 OCTO Ultimate (PCIe card format) and UAD-2 Satellite QUAD Ultimate (FireWire format) packages offer an extensive library of more than 55 UA-developed plug-ins, up to and including UAD Software v6.3*. These UAD-2 Ultimate packages represent the definitive collection of more than 10 years of UAD plug-in development.

More Affordable UAD-2 SOLO, DUO, and QUAD Core Models
Alongside the new UAD-2 hardware and software introductions, UA is debuting new, more affordable pricing for the “Core” models of UAD-2 SOLO, DUO, and QUAD PCIe hardware and UAD-2 DUO and QUAD Satellite FireWire hardware. All UAD-2 Core models include the popular “Analog Classics” plug-in bundle, featuring the LA-2A Classic Audio Leveler, 1176LN/1176SE Classic Limiting Amplifiers, Pultec EQP-1A, and RealVerb Pro plug-ins. Additional UAD plug-ins can be purchased from UA’s Online Store.

“We’re excited by the additional power and flexibility that this new UAD-2 lineup provides,” says CEO and Founder, Bill Putnam, Jr. “Not only has the processing power doubled with the UAD-2 OCTO model, but it’s now easier for users to customize their UAD-2 packages right out of the box. And with our new aggressive pricing for SOLO, DUO, and QUAD Core models, UAD-2 is now even more accessible to producers who want to add authentic analog tone in their recordings.

More information on the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform:
UAD-2 Powered Plug-Ins Platform | Digital Audio Products and Plug-Ins | Universal Audio

High-resolution images and other resources:
http://www.uaudio.com/press/resources/photos/uad2.html

*The UAD-2 Ultimate packages do not include any Direct Developer (3rd party) plug-ins, nor plug-ins released after UAD Software v6.3.
Old 15th October 2012
More info on the updated pricing? I can't seem to find it, but I'm not familiar with UAD's site anyway since its always been out of my league.
Old 15th October 2012
Price policy is very unfair now - Uad Duo 700 Eur Uad Octo 1400 Eur
Old 15th October 2012
Gear Maniac

any news on api and thermionic plugs on uad ?
Old 16th October 2012
Lives for gear

This was announced a while ago...
Old 16th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Price policy is very unfair now - Uad Duo 700 Eur Uad Octo 1400 Eur
Unfair to whom...people who purchase now, or people who have purchased previously? Duo is a bit cheaper than it used to be, and the Octo is the price the Quad used to be...seems pretty fair to me.
Old 17th October 2012
Unfair to any user - Duo doesnt have half of the power of te Octo so why it is half the price of Octo???
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubeman View Post
Unfair to any user - Duo doesnt have half of the power of te Octo so why it is half the price of Octo???
Pretty similar to a 600ml bottle of water being half the price of a 2L bottle then

Buy in bulk and save money, it applies to SHARC chips as well it seems !
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

Don't buy Duo. If you can't buy the Octo get a Quad.
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

I think you'd have a lot more people upset if the Quad was twice the price of the Duo, and the Octo twice the price of the Quad...but in any case I don't think "fairness" really applies here.
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

I wouldn't blow money on any of it unless I went for the Octo now... and I could get two of 'em... PCIe... and I had plenty of cash to burn on hand to be able to buy the high end plugs for it. Otherwise, just use native. It's plenty good.

That's basically what I did in 2005, only with PowerCore PCI. And I went in big on it, because I was replacing my old Pro Tools III hardware system, and expected I would need all the help I could get with plug-ins on a native system back then. And I was willing to part with the cash needed to do it right. And I'm still using it today on my x64 Win system.

Come to think of it, I really wouldn't touch UAD DSP until they get x64 plug-ins out... and find out how many of what I could run on 2 Octo cards. The entry cost is just too high now days, and the continued use of external DSP processing is... questionable.

But if you're gonna do it... do it right. Then at least you'll hopefully have a fully functioning worthwhile DSP system that'll last at least 10 years or so... if you're lucky.

Old 17th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
I think you'd have a lot more people upset if the Quad was twice the price of the Duo, and the Octo twice the price of the Quad...but in any case I don't think "fairness" really applies here.
Quad is still twice the price of Duo and Octo is same price as Quad {at least here in europe}. So it is unfair for customers that want to buy Solo or Duo.
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

Pricing must just have not been updated yet on the Quad then. The price for the Octo is the price the Quad used to be. Right now in the US the Duo is 30% less than the Quad, which is 2/3 the price of the Octo ($699 for the Duo, $999 for the Quad and $1499 for the Octo). Sure, you get more for the money the more you spend, which is normal and not "unfair".

The Solo is only $299, so you actaully get more processing power for your money with a two Solos than you do for a single Duo...but then you've also given up two slots.
Old 18th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you expect the price of things to be linear to the amount of processing?
Are computers with doubled CPU power always twice the price?
Old 18th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister View Post
Do you expect the price of things to be linear to the amount of processing?
Are computers with doubled CPU power always twice the price?
One problem is that Octo is same price as quad, think about it for minute If they are going to change price of quad, they must change also price of Duo, isnt this fair?
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
One problem is that Octo is same price as quad, think about it for minute If they are going to change price of quad, they must change also price of Duo, isnt this fair?
cant really see thats the issue in one of the biggest eu shops. Quad is downpriced, check it out!
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear
Im looking at the bundle,duo or quad.3 Plugins are around $900,so your getting the quad $500?

I really like the Octo,from my end I don't have any native Plugins that out perform uad.

I have waves complete and native instruments new tube bundle.

Which I love,but uad massive passive and pultec pro are very heavy on sound.the NI stuff is getting a lot of used though.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 19th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahh View Post
cant really see thats the issue in one of the biggest eu shops. Quad is downpriced, check it out!
Now they change it, but Duo is the same price as always
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
maybe send them an email and explain how you think their pricing structure could be better implemented.

if it turns out you know better than the staff they employ they might fire one of them and give you a job !
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

I don't own any UAD, but have PowerCore. I can give them a better price structure right off the bat. Either sell the cards at higher prices, but the plug-ins at prices lower than native plug-ins of equal performance (since you paid big for the DSP). Or sell the cards at lower pricing (virtually give them away) so people can afford and will buy all your expensive, but high quality plug-ins.

UAD has really taken the Digi/Avid/PT route of big prices for DSP cards, big prices for plug-ins. Not really worth it unless you're willing to totally buy into it and wring all you can out of a DSP system like that... IMHO.

Which is really the way PowerCore went about it, too. You got some basic average plug-ins with the high dollar DSP, but to get the great plug-ins TC were known for required an additional big cost to buy into. You can see where that got them... basically out of the DSP/plug-in biz.
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
I don't own any UAD, but have PowerCore. I can give them a better price structure right off the bat. Either sell the cards at higher prices, but the plug-ins at prices lower than native plug-ins of equal performance (since you paid big for the DSP). Or sell the cards at lower pricing (virtually give them away) so people can afford and will buy all your expensive, but high quality plug-ins.

UAD has really taken the Digi/Avid/PT route of big prices for DSP cards, big prices for plug-ins. Not really worth it unless you're willing to totally buy into it and wring all you can out of a DSP system like that... IMHO.

Which is really the way PowerCore went about it, too. You got some basic average plug-ins with the high dollar DSP, but to get the great plug-ins TC were known for required an additional big cost to buy into. You can see where that got them... basically out of the DSP/plug-in biz.
It's so funny when people give business plans to the best in the business.

You could always make your own Plugins,kick UA butt in revenue.then have them model your company.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The shops you're looking at must just be really slow in dropping their prices. Universal Audio dropped the price of the Duo as well when the Octo came out...was $899 street in the US, now $699. I'm sure that the pricing you're seeing will catch up eventually.
Old 19th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
The shops you're looking at must just be really slow in dropping their prices. Universal Audio dropped the price of the Duo as well when the Octo came out...was $899 street in the US, now $699. I'm sure that the pricing you're seeing will catch up eventually.
Here in EU Duo is listed for 700 Eur {about 900$} and they stated that it is new lower price Duo was always 700 Eur. I wonder if they drop it to 400 Eur and Solo for 150 then So if Quad dropped price about 40%, why Duo cant? I dont understand this policy.

links
Universal Audio UAD-2 DUO Core PCIe DSP Acelerator | DV247
Universal Audio UAD-2 Duo - Thomann ?esk
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY View Post
It's so funny when people give business plans to the best in the business.

You could always make your own Plugins,kick UA butt in revenue.then have them model your company.

Sent from my PC36100
Dude... chill. I was just responding to the person's post above mine. I wouldn't pretend to give UAD any business advice. Was just comparing to PowerCore. I seriously doubt they pay much attention to what GS want anyway.
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Dude... chill. I was just responding to the person's post above mine. I wouldn't pretend to give UAD any business advice. Was just comparing to PowerCore. I seriously doubt they pay much attention to what GS want anyway.
O ok sorry man,Didn't powercore give up and quit?

Sent from my PC36100
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY View Post
O ok sorry man,Didn't powercore give up and quit?

Sent from my PC36100
Yes. I own Powercore as well as UAD and Powercore hardware was expensive, their plugins were alot more expensive than UAD in Europe (You could actually go the Powercore site and see the U.S site that showed that the Dollar prices of the plugins worked out way cheaper than the European prices, whereas UAD has one price for all) and their plugin list just didn't grow in the way any of us hoped.

UAD do have the best collection of plugs, but I think they could have a silly size user base, if they addressed their prices. For instance, all of us who have been on the platform for a while, probably have the Fairchild Compressor or the Neve 1073 EQ. I doubt they shift many of those any more and the same with every plug after a while, they each hit a plato, but if they seriously reduced the prices, then a whole new customer base comes online and they get to sell those plugs all over again. The R'n'D costs for the older plugins must be long paid. Launching the Octo and reducing the price of the cards is a good move, but they could go much further. There is still an audience out there to be milked, who still find UAD too expensive to get on board.
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
There is still an audience out there to be milked, who still find UAD too expensive to get on board.
Yeah... especially UAD's latest plug-ins (last several years). That's definitely getting into PowerCore territory.

PowerCore never put out a lot after I bought into it. But it did take a while, after I bought the cards, for me to understand how great their MD3, Brickwall, VSS3, DVR2, and NonLin2 were, and be convinced enough to shell out for the $$$ for 'em. And then their CL1B was definitely the beginning of some great ITB compressors from other companies. They all still work for me and were/are worth it. Glad I have 'em.

But I definitely would NOT do it all over again with UAD's current price structure of high dollar cards and high dollar plug-ins to run on 'em. On top of that, I'd have to be convinced enough to spend the dough AND pull out my PowerCore cards and plug-ins and stop using them. So far, their catalog of plug-ins, combined with their pricing, does not come close to making me wanna do that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search