The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Attention ARP Owners. Slider Kits! - ORDERS OPEN
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Attention ARP Owners. Slider Kits! - ORDERS OPEN

Hello fellow ARP owners.

Are your original ARP sliders dirty, hard to dial in, crackling, and unstable? Great news! There is solution. I have secured a source for replacement sliders and am preparing a bulk order to prepare kits.

These kits are direct replacements for the original ARP Sliders. No modifications are required to your ARP or the sliders.

Kits will be available for:
Axxe $195 USD + shipping
Odyssey 2800 (white face) $295 USD + Shipping
Odyssey 2810 - 2823 $295 USD + Shipping

Interested in being added to the list?

Please fill out the attached form and email it back to the email address noted on the top of the form. This form lets me know who you are, what kit(s) you are in for, shipping details and PayPal address.

Details, Fine print, FAQ, etc etc..
Payment is not required at this time. Payment will be due within 24 hours of the order confirmation stage closing date.

The closing date for the order confirmation stage is September 21st, 2012. At that time, assuming the minimum order quantity is met, payment in full will be due from all participants and I will be placing the order with the factory.

I will place the factory order no later the 7 days from the order confirmation closing date.

The factory has a minimum order quantity. If the MOQ is not met then order cannot proceed. This is the reason for the order confirmation period. To gage interest and ensure these sliders will have a home. So please add your name to the list!

Any information you provide is strictly confidential and will not be used for anything other than getting these sliders to you.

The sliders will be new. Not remanufactured.

Estimated production ready date is one month from the time the Factory receives the order. Please be aware of the production and transit times accordingly.

Replacing the sliders is a pretty straight forward job. HOWEVER, please do not attempt to install these yourself unless you are comfortable doing so. I will not be held responsible for any damage you do to your ARP, the sliders, or yourself. I am not tech support. If in doubt please take it to a technician for the installation.

For background on how these kits came to be please check out the thread below.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...y-odyssey.html

If you have questions let me know and I will do my best to answer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ARP Slider Kit Order Form.pdf (66.0 KB, 496 views)
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

How ironic that I spent the last two weeks dismantling and cleaning all of my original sliders. Any chance of getting a sample slider from you in the mail so I know what I am dealing with. Even after manually cleaning and relubing my sliders the carbon tracks are worn and the action feels scratchy as a result.
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

I can relate. I too have opened and cleaned my Odyssey sliders once before. About 15 years ago. You get about 10 years or so before the signs start to show again. It seems the original sliders can only take so many openings and cleanings of this nature before the carbon tracks become thin, end clips break etc.

SAMPLES. Unfortunately I do not have samples available. This is the initial run. The factory was able to supply me three sliders for testing and reviewing all of which are unavailable. (Not cheap from the factory as one off's by the way). I cleaned the factory out. I will be ordering a handful of extra sliders with this production run to have on hand after the kits have shipped. If the first run is successful I will consider a second run and add an "ARP Survival Kit". Three sliders. One of each value.
Old 25th August 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone intersted in replacing their ARP sliders?
Old 25th August 2012
yes, I'm interested.
recapping the ARP, cleaning it, new fresh sliders would be great.
but.... 195 benniebucks? can we bring that down a bit?
we need more ARP owners eeh.. victims heh
I'll decide to commit when I've balanced my books.

I've changed the title a bit (if you don't mind)
Old 26th August 2012
Gear Addict
Have a Pro DGX I could use sliders for
Old 26th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisnick View Post
Have a Pro DGX I could use sliders for
Slider kits for the Pro DGX are not available. The Touch Sensitivity slider (R32) has a value of 1K Linear. This value is unique to the Pro DGX.
Old 26th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
yes, I'm interested.
recapping the ARP, cleaning it, new fresh sliders would be great.
but.... 195 benniebucks? can we bring that down a bit?
we need more ARP owners eeh.. victims heh
I'll decide to commit when I've balanced my books.

I've changed the title a bit (if you don't mind)
Thank you for changing the title. The more visibility this gets the better!
Old 26th August 2012
Lives for gear

Great news!

The first 10 people who send in their order confirmation will receive a 10 percent discount!

No limmit on the number of kits. Only a limmit on the number of people.

Promo $292 + Shipping

Axxe: $195 USD + shipping
Promo $175 + Shipping

Odyssey 2800 (white face): $295 USD + Shipping
Promo $265 + Shipping

Odyssey 2810 - 2823: $295 USD + Shipping
Promo $265 + Shipping

Who will the first 10 be? Let the games begin!
Old 28th August 2012
Lives for gear

Nine spots left at the promo price. Who's next?
Old 28th August 2012
Lives for gear

Hello Folks. I've attached a revised order form in Excel format to make it easier to fill out and send back. I've also added the promotional pricing to the first 10 people.
Attached Files
File Type: xls ARP Slider Kit Order Form.xls (32.5 KB, 173 views)
Old 29th August 2012
Lives for gear

Here are some photos for those interested in seeing how the kit sliders compare to the original. Thanks to Reptil for instructing me how to add these.

Old 29th August 2012
Lives for gear

Hah! Do you think those pics are big enough!? Is there anyway I can size these down a bit. Sorry folks.
Old 29th August 2012
Lives for gear

What concerns me is the change to aluminum for the wiper contact. Aluminum oxidizes a lot faster than copper/brass. I would probably buy a set if they new ones were made with the same materials. The biggest flaw in the design of both is there is no dust protection so gunk accumulates in the sliders over the years. The sliders Yamaha used in the CS50/60/80 have a plastic covering along the length of the track - much better design...
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
What concerns me is the change to aluminum for the wiper contact. Aluminum oxidizes a lot faster than copper/brass. I would probably buy a set if they new ones were made with the same materials. The biggest flaw in the design of both is there is no dust protection so gunk accumulates in the sliders over the years. The sliders Yamaha used in the CS50/60/80 have a plastic covering along the length of the track - much better design...
This is a valid point. The metal type is the only notable difference between the original and replacement sliders.

I will contact the factory to see if a substitution can be made (without increaseing the price!).

With that said, here are my thoughts on the metal and I'm sure others will agree.

In my studio I probably have 1 or 2000 knobs and sliders. (Not exaggerating). I have suffered my fair share of failures over the years with gear. Not once could the issue be traced back to an inadequate metal in a knob or slider. Most issues regarding potentiometers are due to lack of use, not inadequate metal. Dials and sliders need to be used frequently. The movement helps keep the oxidization to a minimum between the contacts. Remember the days when studios with huge consoles would have a person wiggle each knob to keep them clean.

Even if the factory can substitute for a brass or bronze alloy it will still tarnish and oxidize overtime. Any metal will except for gold. Also, not all brass/bronze alloys are the same. I'd rather have a good Aluminum (This seems to be) than a poor brass. Most likely the sliders will be filled with dust and debris long before oxidization becomes a primary issue (More on this below).

My personal feeling is although it is a different metal, it will do the job it is intended for.

Here is my suggestion to those considering the kits and are concerned by this. First, order a kit. Even if your sliders are good now, the odds are you will need to replace them in the future. Especially if you are planning on keeping your ARP for any length of time. Second, do not throw away your original sliders after you replace them. Down the road if/when you need to open your sliders to clean them replace the shafts at that time with your originals. You should be able to get many years of use before it gets to this stage.

I agree the fundamental flaw in ALL ARP sliders (original and new) is the open design itself, but not the metal.

Regarding dust and debris. When I install the sliders in my Odyssey I am going to experiment using those thin sheets of craft foam you can purchase from Michaels or the Dollar store. I'm thinking of gluing or taping these sheets to the inside of the panel and covering the slider opening. Then, using a hobby knife, cutting a thin slit to allow the slider shaft to pass through. This should create a nice tight shield and prevent debris from entering the slider.
Old 31st August 2012
Lives for gear

Okay. I have spoken with the factory about changing the metal. The short answer is it is not possible to change and is not an issue anyway.

The long answer is the factory has already researched the materials and felt this was the best metal for the slider. In order to change to a different metal a new mould would need to be made and purchased at the cost of several thousand dollars. This would drive the cost per slider up to well over $50 per piece.

I am sure the factory put R+D into this long before I inquired. So that solves that area of concern.

There are still slots open at the promotional price. Who else is in?
Old 31st August 2012
Lives for gear

did you check analog heaven for more people?
Old 31st August 2012
Gear Nut

There has been some talk re this thread over at the Odyssey patch Yahoo group, but I agree that you should hit analogue heaven and probably the vintage-synth repair yahoo group too.
Old 31st August 2012
Gear Nut

Hi,

How many sliders are there per kit?
I'm looking at the Odyssey MkIII Replacements
Thanks!

Qf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
Hello Folks. I've attached a revised order form in Excel format to make it easier to fill out and send back. I've also added the promotional pricing to the first 10 people.
Old 1st September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qfactor View Post
Hi,

How many sliders are there per kit?
I'm looking at the Odyssey MkIII Replacements
Thanks!

Qf
All Odysseys have the 34 sliders. For the MK III you will need the 2810-2823 kit.

This brings up an important point. When ordering be sure to order the correct kit for your Odyssey. The Mk I 2800 uses slightly different slider values than the others.

Owners of black Odysseys with gold writing should pay extra attention to their model numbers. Most MK II's are 2810-2813. However, some MK I 2800 models (normally white face) were also made in the black/gold package. One way to tell them apart is by the power switch. Also, all 2800's were without interface jacks. If your Odyssey is black/gold and without interface jacks (Gate, CV, Trig) then it's a MK I 2800. It is possible the interface was added later of course.
Old 1st September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
did you check analog heaven for more people?
I am not a member of the Analog Heaven forum. If it means getting more people on board then I'll post this weekend. I don't want to have multiple forums going on if possible. Too much to keep track of. Hopefully AH won't mind me directing a few people over here where I can keep track of everything in one spot.
Old 1st September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
I am not a member of the Analog Heaven forum. If it means getting more people on board then I'll post this weekend. I don't want to have multiple forums going on if possible. Too much to keep track of. Hopefully AH won't mind me directing a few people over here where I can keep track of everything in one spot.
I just signed up to Analogue Heaven to promote the ARP Slider Kits. How do I post there? It appears to be read only? Thanks.
Old 1st September 2012
Lives for gear

its a mailing list so you send a mail to the [email protected] address and it will go to the group. I havent belonged in some years but I know its still active.
Old 3rd September 2012
Lives for gear

I've just sent an email post to the Analogue Heaven forum. This should add to the buzz and get a few more people on board.

18 days to go! Still spots available at the promo price. Don't be shy!
Old 5th September 2012
Gear Head

Hello Mamero,

I've just bought an Odyssey Mark III 2823 in what I would say is very good condition, though in my opinion some of the sliders are a little stiff. Apparently, the stiffer sliders are the newer ones and I suspect these are the Chinese poorer quality replacements..

This bothers me as I have read elsewhere (especially from Phil Cirocco on his CMS website) that these replacement Chinese Odyssey sliders are long-term no good.

Are your replacements better than these? If so, I would be very interested as ideally I would buy the Lumina slider kit from Phil Cirocco but according to his website there are non available currently, plus the fact that Mr. Circocco is harder to get hold of than Barack Obama...

Thanks for your feedback,

Mike
Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNeuman View Post
Hello Mamero,

I've just bought an Odyssey Mark III 2823 in what I would say is very good condition, though in my opinion some of the sliders are a little stiff. Apparently, the stiffer sliders are the newer ones and I suspect these are the Chinese poorer quality replacements..

This bothers me as I have read elsewhere (especially from Phil Cirocco on his CMS website) that these replacement Chinese Odyssey sliders are long-term no good.

Are your replacements better than these? If so, I would be very interested as ideally I would buy the Lumina slider kit from Phil Cirocco but according to his website there are non available currently, plus the fact that Mr. Circocco is harder to get hold of than Barack Obama...

Thanks for your feedback,

Mike
Hello Mike and welcome aboard!

I cannot comment either way on other aftermarket sliders. I have not used or reviewed them in person. What I can comment on are the samples I analysed for this order. I reviewed these sliders to the best of my ability as well as installed and tested them in my own Odyssey. In my opinion they are more than worthy of installation in my Odyssey and are the best solution in this price range. Do they have blinky, flashy lights? No! Will they do the job intended? Yes! They match the exact measurements and values of the original design. No modifications required. Remove the old ones, install the new ones. Done! All you need are some simple tools, soldering skills, a bit of time, and you can do this yourself in a few hours.

Regarding CMS. I have complete respect for anyone involved in servicing and maintaining vintage synthesizers. From what I've read he does excellent work. As far as comments regarding the quality of the Chinese sliders. All I can say is whether his observations are correct or not, they are certainly biased. He is running a business and it is in his best interest to favour his own Lumina kit over other options. Rightly so. The Lumina kit is indeed eye catching. I initially contemplated the Lumina kit too. However, after researching it a few times the initial "Wow" factor passed and reality set in. The Lumina kit is a considerable investment for what it does. At $1150 USD plus shipping both ways the reward for me does not justify the investment. $1150 is a BIG chuck of money. For this amount I could order 3 or 4 of the slider kits on offer here. This would be enough to keep my Odyssey running for generations. Years from now what happens when CMS retires the business? Will there be support if there is an issue with the Lumina kit? What happens if/when your need to return the Odyssey to stock? With sliders of the original spec, if down the road one craps out it's no big deal, just swap it for another one. To put the $1150 in to perspective. Last summer I purchased a used Omega 8 for $1100 off my local Craigslist. That to me is FAR better value. I am not a collector. My Odyssey does not need Bling. It just needs to work. I use my gear and all I want is to get my Odyssey back in action and help a few others do the same. Some may call me thrifty, some call me cheap, but I would rather spend my hard earned $1150 on something more practical than LEDs.
Old 6th September 2012
Gear Head

Hi Mamero

Thanks for your kind welcome (I should have announced myself first on the Forum) and also taking the time in giving such a detailed reply!

Thanks also for your confirmation of my order, I've seen single NOS/2nd hand sliders going for ridiculous amounts on Ebay, so your offer is looking like a really good deal....

Back to your reply, I think you've brought up some really good points there, some that I'd not really considered too. You've totally convinced me this is the way to go now, though I'd already made my mind up before seeing your reply on here, hence my email order to you last night!

I strongly suspect that Mr. Cirocco is using Mouser Electronics for his LED sliders (try going to the Mouser electronics website and filter on "Slide potentiometers", I think the make is by a company called Alpha).

Anyway, thanks once again and looking forward to receiving the kit!

Kind regards,

Mike
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

Two weeks to go. There are still kits available at the promotional price. We need a few more people on board to meet the minimum order quantity.
Old 9th September 2012
Really skint but I'll try to make it.
Thread's a sticky now (for a while).
Old 10th September 2012
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search