The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Alta Moda AM-25 Equalizer
Old 31st July 2012
Here for the gear

Alta Moda AM-25 Equalizer

Hello everyone,
Alta Moda has just released a new module for the 500-series:

The Alta Moda Audio AM-25 is a versatile, high-performance four-band parametric equalizer module designed for the 500-series compatible rack system.

The AM-25 offers four continuously variable and overlapping frequency bands giving the AM-25 exceptional versatility over a wide range of audio applications.

From subtle to surgical, parametric equalization has never been easier to use. Street-price of $299 USD.
Old 31st July 2012
Lives for gear

Yowza that's a great price.

What are the differences between this and the AM-20? I had a pair of those and thought they were great.
Old 31st July 2012
Lives for gear
sub'd
Stupidly good price and 500 series lacks of 4 bands full parametric eqs
(I didn't like the Harrison)

Question, I can't see any sign on the high freq switch, same as the low
band? Switchable from filter to bell? If so this thing is super nice!

Were do we get it in Europe?
Old 31st July 2012
Lives for gear

Is it me, or between the Daking pres (which had their price reduced - Zenpro has 'em buy 2 or more and get them at $500 apiece), Lindell, and now these, does it seem like 500 series prices are plummeting? Even Aphex released some low cost 500 series!

This looks fantastically functional - in the realm of the Speck EQ being four bands along with adjustable Q for the two middle. I wonder where corners were cut, if any? The price is almost too good to be true for such a functional EQ. At that price I'll probably pick up one just to have it.

Regards,
Frank
Old 1st August 2012
Are these stepped? Where are they manufactured? Any iron?
Old 1st August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
"Any iron?" almost doesn't seem a fair question at this price.

- c
Old 1st August 2012
Lives for gear

According to their website, $299 (or $575 for 2...) is temporary. Will be $499.

Alta Moda Audio

@Retinal: Various EU distributors - check the 'Contact' page.
Old 1st August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Answers on the webpage: Alta Moda Audio

Continually variable. USA. No iron mentioned.

These look very similar (if not identical) to the AM-20, which was a very clean and powerful tone-shaper, not a mojo-box. I have regretted selling mine many times...this intro price is very tempting.
Old 1st August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
I realized that. I should of checked the website before my pre-emptive question attack!

I was assuming a Cascade Fathead type deal after seeing the price. Looks like a very good and practical device at an unbelievable price!

Kind regards,
Phil
Old 1st August 2012
Here for the gear

Hi
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, it's based on the AM-20. If you compare the boards, you'd see a similar layout, with some additional components. The bottom filter has been tightened up when in peak/dip mode, and the top band made even smoother than before. The Q range is a bit mellower than the AM-20 too.

The top band shelving only - I loved the sound of it and couldn't duplicate it with any other circuit.

The new pots allow for a smooth sweep through the bands. Separate pots make recall a bit easier too.

Gain pots are center detented. Seems this is preferred over the non-detented with most engineers.

It's a transformerless design; I like transformers, really. They are just not needed in the designs I've done so far.

I've always like this price point, just wasn't possible with the AM-20. The pots and knobs cost on the AM-20 wouldn't allow it.

The AM-25 has no compromises as far as components or build quality. Still hand built in the USA with old school through-hole parts.

It's a professional, high-performance piece of gear at a great price.

Thanks,
P
Old 1st August 2012
Lives for gear

Sounds awesome. Thanks for filling us in with the details!

+1 for the center detented knobs! Awesome.

Regards,
Frank
Old 1st August 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Is it me, or between the Daking pres (which had their price reduced - Zenpro has 'em buy 2 or more and get them at $500 apiece), Lindell, and now these, does it seem like 500 series prices are plummeting? Even Aphex released some low cost 500 series!
I'm really impressed that this is still American made too, a very big selling point for me personally with the new breed of lower priced 500 series units. BIG thumbs up on that!
Old 1st August 2012
Lives for gear

I have 2 AM-20's and really like them. Cant pass up a pair of these at that price.
Old 2nd August 2012
News Desk Editor

Hardware Alta Moda Audio releases the AM-25 equalizer

Alta Moda Audio releases the AM-25 equalizer
Analog parametric equalizer in 500 series format

Professional audio equipment manufacturer Alta Moda Audio today debuted the AM-25 equalizer, the latest product in Alta Moda’s expanding range of popular 500-series rack products.

The Alta Moda Audio AM-25 is a versatile, high-performance four-band parametric equalizer module designed for the 500-series compatible rack system. The AM-25 offers four continuously variable and overlapping frequency bands giving the AM-25 exceptional versatility over a wide range of audio applications. From subtle to surgical, parametric equalization has never been easier to use. With a street-price of $299 USD, the AM-25 sets a new price/performance benchmark for 500-series compatible modules.

Chicago composer/producer John Ovnik has been using the AM-25 equalizer for several months and says, “The AM-25 is one of the most intuitive and musical eq's I've worked with. *It can be as delicate or surgical as anything on the market. *It’s truly a must have.”

Alta Moda makes the highly acclaimed Unicomp all-discrete stereo compressor/ limiter as well as a line of quality, high-performance modules for 500-series compatible rack enclosures. A complete list of Alta Moda Audio dealers can be found at Alta Moda Audio
Old 21st August 2012
Gear Nut

Bump... Anyone else have some hands on experience with these?
Old 21st August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moda Man View Post
Hi
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, it's based on the AM-20. If you compare the boards, you'd see a similar layout, with some additional components. The bottom filter has been tightened up when in peak/dip mode, and the top band made even smoother than before. The Q range is a bit mellower than the AM-20 too.

The top band shelving only - I loved the sound of it and couldn't duplicate it with any other circuit.

The new pots allow for a smooth sweep through the bands. Separate pots make recall a bit easier too.

Gain pots are center detented. Seems this is preferred over the non-detented with most engineers.

It's a transformerless design; I like transformers, really. They are just not needed in the designs I've done so far.

I've always like this price point, just wasn't possible with the AM-20. The pots and knobs cost on the AM-20 wouldn't allow it.

The AM-25 has no compromises as far as components or build quality. Still hand built in the USA with old school through-hole parts.

It's a professional, high-performance piece of gear at a great price.

Thanks,
P
Love that heh
Hmmm... gotta go over my books hoping I can afford 2
Old 1st September 2012
Gear Head
I use this....every day

Hi...Just saw this thread....I really like Paul's Gear....I have a pair of am20s a hippo and now some am25s....soon to have a unicomp :-).....Im a composer and mixer on an NBC tv show....last year I used an api2500 and curve bender on the 2 bus.....this year a hippo and a pair of am25s....the eqs sound great...im just adding a little top and a little bottom...very smooth.....we did our first mix for the first episode of the season and everyone was very happy and no one was asking if there was transformers, or inductors in any of the gear......Alta Moda equipment sounds excellent and is ridiculously cheap in my opinion....
right on!!!
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

@ UncleVinky:

So the AM25's sound as good as the AM20's? Better?

I'm going to grab a pair as soon as a sell a couple of things.
Old 6th September 2012
Gear Maniac

oh man. I can't wait to hear more about this. Anyone would like to chime in more?
Is this for surgical or for nice boost or for both? (Even better)
Old 8th September 2012
Can't wait

Just ordered a pair and can't wait to slot 'em into the lunchbox. Hoping to use them for bg vocal buss before hitting the stereo toolbox( which has been just amazing on the buss). Anyone tried them on program material?
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Moda Man: Will there be other modules, like perhaps a mic pre or comp, priced similarly? If so, when might they be available?

Also, how long do you anticipate that the $299 price will be in place?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
Lindell modules are priced the same as this introductory offer. They have transformers, as do the GAP 500 pre's which are to be less than $300. I'm not saying the AM25 should, just that I think the question is fair. You did say "almost," though.
Old 19th September 2012
Well installed them a few hours ago and tried first on some program material. It proves very flexible, but does add a very slight bit of noise. It was nice on the vox bg buss and keys as well. Got to use em more to fully appreciate, but they are quite nice eqs for the price!
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicwind View Post
Well installed them a few hours ago and tried first on some program material. It proves very flexible, but does add a very slight bit of noise. It was nice on the vox bg buss and keys as well. Got to use em more to fully appreciate, but they are quite nice eqs for the price!
Are you quite sure that the noise added was because of the AM 25's? I am considering at least a pair if not more, and that is worrisome. Alta Moda is very high quality gear, and noticeable noise seems like there is something wrong....??

Moda Man, could you please chip in....????
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

I just got a pair and gave them a test run last night on an old rough mix. Very nice, clean, un-phasey eq. I did not notice any additional noise, but I wasn't really cranking the volume either. The hard bypass and center indents make A/B'ing really easy. I was able to do pretty extreme boosts and cuts without it sounding cheap. I was using it on program material, and I was easily able to find and cut some honk and add some clarity and depth to complex material - I imagine it will be a breeze to quickly tweak a snare drum or guitar track in a tracking session.

I also owned the AM-20's, and the new controls are an ergonomic improvement. The gain and frequency were on stacked knobs, and I always had a hard time moving them independently and doing stereo tweaks. Having the controls separate is much better. The sound is the quality and flexibility I remember. I am very pleased so far - particularly for the price. I would be very content making a mix on a console full of these eq's.
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

Hi
Thanks everyone for the kind words about the AM-25. I haven't heard of any noise issues with them, but I'm glad you're liking them. I think the more you play with them, the more versatile you will find them.

Yes, there will be other modules in the same price range including a pre, FET comp (AM-10 version), and a vari-mu comp.

The next one up is a 10-space rack unit which I hope to get out before the end of November.

Thanks!
Paul
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
a vari-mu comp.
Old 1st October 2012
Ok, a huge mistake i must correct!
I had reported some slight noise issues on first listening, and that eas totally caused by a bad cable in my patch bay.
Reconnected direct and the eq pair was silent.
Silent, but deadly!
These EQs have a juicy high end, pushed near the top and still smooth.
Good mid range control and love the bass shelf!
I am now giving my patch bay a complete rewiring and my apologies to the forum for too hasty a report.
Will probably be looking at another pair soon.
Old 2nd October 2012
Are these on back order? I'm thinking of purchasing a pair but am curious how long the wait is.
Old 3rd October 2012
Gear Head

Just ordered a pair...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthsAndRights View Post
Are these on back order? I'm thinking of purchasing a pair but am curious how long the wait is.
Paul immediately sent the package off...should be here next week.

Definitively gear lust and for the introduction pricedamn always the same...but very nice that the 500 prices seem to get a correction... also interested in the lindell stuff

Rudy
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, there will be other modules in the same price range including a pre, FET comp (AM-10 version), and a vari-mu comp.

The next one up is a 10-space rack unit which I hope to get out before the end of November.

Thanks!
Paul
You rule Paul, and you seem to have my number...Very interested in the rack and vari-mu comp. I love my AM-10!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search